3Likes

post #991 of 2998 Old 06-12-2009, 09:08 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Hello again Will,

The "yes" in my prior response to you was an answer to the question on the ability to purchase a single 3.1. I'm not sure if it was this forum or another, where this question was answered before, but someone had stated that you can in fact order a single to implement as you describe. FWIW, I'm very happy running a "Phantom" center with just my two Reference 3.1 speakers. They are behind my screen for movies, but the screen goes up and they're out in the open for music.

So much media, so little time...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #992 of 2998 Old 06-13-2009, 09:35 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Will

My handle is no reference to Mr. Gillespie. It is simply a play on my initials and frequent (more so lately) feelings.

I toally get the desire for three vertically-aligned, matching individual speakers. The side-firing center woofer threw a monkey wrench in my unrelenting quest for symmetry. And no, my salt and pepper shakers don't have to be perfectly aligned with each other. But on audio I have been brain-washed with symmetry whenever possible.

Of course rooms and their contents are not symmetrical. I can't comment on your strategy. It may have great merit in your situation. I do wish you luck.
post #993 of 2998 Old 06-13-2009, 10:09 AM

Liked: 18
willdao:
If you can I would suggest auditioninng the Ref AV for your center channel. Seems like for your room size you won't need the additional bass of a 3.1 in the center. The Ref AV is good to <55hz and the midrange/tweeter configuration really fills in the relatively thin midbass of the 3.1's. I feel vocals are significantly better on the Ref AV than the 3.1
Also if you are in to multichannel music, the soundstaging in my setup was much improved by the addition of the Ref AV. Enjoy.

Mitsubishi WD73-742, Oppo BDP-103, Gallo 3.1/ Reference AV center/ Adiva-ti surrounds, Emotiva UMC-200/ XPA-5/ XPA-3, Toshiba HD-A3. Roku XS

"All rooms, speakers and ears are different, trust your own ears."

post #994 of 2998 Old 06-19-2009, 05:15 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Thanks for the advice, all.

I'm a total believer in the "identical units up front across all three channels" school; even though there are additional room-related factors that will influence sound at the center position, relative to front-L/R placement in my room, starting with all-identical drivers is important, I think. (Room modes also may be a more intrusive factor; hopefully Audessey or one of the proprietary DSP fixes in a new pre/pro will tame these complex beasts, as below.) Also, there's the issue of the center carrying as much as 50% of the signal in a HT environment. So, I want a center as robust as the L/Rs.

O.K. Let's face it: I want a killer 3 X 3.1 array up front, and would make up excuses if this weren't desirable! (kidding)

Barryecohen, nice to know buying an individual center is possible, without the added expense of buying two pairs...although I bet someone out there might've been interested in picking up the extra ref 3.1 for the same reasons I am.

Repdetect, the "main room" is apr. 22 X 12, opening into not only a kitchen, but also a ~14" hallway leading to a bathroom where the door usually is open (for feline ingree/egress). I probably won't run a sub, although I will be interested in the Gallo amp. (Two, one channel of the second amp for the center? Probably not necessary/desirable in terms of even more complex room modes.) Still, the center's ability to do sub-35 Hz will be desirable.

Dizzie2: Get yourself a cane (don't cheat with two canes, now!), hang on tight, and go for the wild assymmetry ride! Seriously, I'm wondering about placement of the left and center woofers--these will flank my front door...woofers outward (relative to the door opening) for protection, or inward for sound quality? Decisions, decisions.

In any event, a major concern maybe I didn't mention is the close placement of the front L/Rs relative to the sidewalls. There won't be any clearance to speak of--inches. Obviously, toe in will be necessary to tame first reflections (also a given, even given the wide dispersion, in that they will flank a 10-ft. diag. drop-screen
and seating distances will only be about 12 feet away from the screen--less from the Ref 3.1s, which I will pull somewhat into the room to help mitigate, albeit slightly, the close sidewall placement. (And, hence the "woofers inward for sound quality" mention in the last paragraph.)

This is not an ideal room for the Ref. 3.1s--or any speaker system, for that matter. But, I won't be here forever, and do want a system that I can begin to enjoy in the near future, while planning on a different space that'll do it proud in the more distant future. Wanting to get the 3.1s before the 3.5s bump such a sytem totally out of my price range is another factor.

Ah, decisions, decisions--and compromises...inevitable compromises...

Thanks, again, guys!

Will
post #995 of 2998 Old 06-20-2009, 01:33 AM
KKM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
The 3.1's make the top 10 audiophile speakers of all time list on Cnet:

http://news.cnet.com/2300-17938_105-...tag=mncol;page

Curious if anyone compared them with the Zu Druid. The 1.6's price is probably what gave them the edge to be number 1.
post #996 of 2998 Old 06-20-2009, 09:26 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by KKM View Post

The 3.1's make the top 10 audiophile speakers of all time list on Cnet:

http://news.cnet.com/2300-17938_105-...tag=mncol;page

Curious if anyone compared them with the Zu Druid. The 1.6's price is probably what gave them the edge to be number 1.

Um, these are all current models, so it's not "of all time"...still, wow, it's nice (cough, cough) to be included among the venerable ranks of such stars as the Energy Take 5 system...

Seriously, I haven't heard the Zus, but one reviewer (I think I read quite some time back) sold his 3.1s for the Zu Druids...
post #997 of 2998 Old 06-24-2009, 07:47 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Wondering if the 3.5's are on schedule to go to market this year. I am getting the itch to but something.
post #998 of 2998 Old 06-25-2009, 01:57 PM

So, my SO had dinner party at the house (I was out of town) and her friend's 2 year old girl apprantly decided it would be fun to push in the ever-so-bubbly center part of the lower 4inch mid range driver.....on BOTH speakers!. They are both dented in a LOT. There is NO perforation and the driver material around it seems OK. It sounds the same (I think). The remaining upper drivers, tweeters and woofers seem OK. Question is, is the center 'bubble' part of the active driver, does it make any sound? Any sound impact ( I know you all cant hear my speakers) but in theory?? I DO NOT want to shell out for new pair of these drivers? Thx in advance

MKT
post #999 of 2998 Old 06-25-2009, 03:27 PM

Gallo offers a putty-like adhesive, think blu-tak, that will pull the dust caps back to normal; or just use blu-tak or museum putty.
post #1000 of 2998 Old 06-25-2009, 10:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtrivedi20 View Post

So, my SO had dinner party at the house (I was out of town) and her friend's 2 year old girl apprantly decided it would be fun to push in the ever-so-bubbly center part of the lower 4inch mid range driver.....on BOTH speakers!. They are both dented in a LOT. There is NO perforation and the driver material around it seems OK. It sounds the same (I think). The remaining upper drivers, tweeters and woofers seem OK. Question is, is the center 'bubble' part of the active driver, does it make any sound? Any sound impact ( I know you all cant hear my speakers) but in theory?? I DO NOT want to shell out for new pair of these drivers? Thx in advance

MKT

The center of the speaker is non-functional: it mostly keeps dust and dirt out of the motor/coil assembly. I've this problem because I have kids, mostly with the soft dome mid-range drivers on my BillDan speakers though. First and easiest thing to try is scotch tape. Be gentle, love! if it's really stubborn, you can use a largish threading needle to get it started. Yes, it will create a small hole, no it won't hurt anything. Don't push it in very far.

Then, there is always the vacuum cleaner method. I'm to chicken to try this, but friends have used suction with success. Which leads me to... Bean - sorry to hear about your ichy butt
post #1001 of 2998 Old 06-26-2009, 04:07 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
I would go to home depot and get a foot of some vinyl hose, of the appropriate diameter to fit around the dust-cap, and use my lungs rather than a vacuum to pop the dust-cap out. I'd be afraid a vacuum may be too powerful and cause damage. The Blue-Tac idea also sounds promising.

So much media, so little time...

post #1002 of 2998 Old 06-27-2009, 06:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Whenever I have young visitors or I'm out of town for an extended period, I just bring out the cages and put them in place until they leave. No need to bolt them on.
post #1003 of 2998 Old 06-27-2009, 05:26 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by IcemanDallas View Post

Whenever I have young visitors or I'm out of town for an extended period, I just bring out the cages and put them in place until they leave. No need to bolt them on.

I can think of a way to protect an entire system (not just the speakers) using the cages but some people are so touchy when it comes to their kids.
post #1004 of 2998 Old 06-28-2009, 09:28 AM

Hey guys,
Thx for the advice on how to get the center part back out. I am going to try today!
MKT
post #1005 of 2998 Old 06-30-2009, 06:38 PM

Location: New York, New York (say it twice, we're kinda slow)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonbean View Post

Wondering if the 3.5's are on schedule to go to market this year. I am getting the itch to bu[y] something.

Not sure about the market ETA, but one thing I heard that surprised me is Reference 3 and 3.1 owners will be able to send their speakers back for a full upgrade to the 3.5's. The estimated cost of this will be the difference in price between the 3's and the 3.5's.

When I was originally shopping, I compared the Ref 3's against the Vandersteens and one of the ups Vandersteen had over AGA was being upgradeable. As a 3.1 owner, this certainly has me considering whether this is worth it or not.

Xbox Live: SubPrime Debt

post #1006 of 2998 Old 07-06-2009, 12:32 PM

Hi folks,

I have an issue I'd love to hear opinions on.

I have a 5.1 A'Diva Ti setup, which I'm driving with a Denon AVR-5700 receiver. The speakers are rated up to 100 watts (the receiver handles the crossover); the receiver 140 watts per channel.

I recently moved my son's drum set into the same room so he can play along with the songs he's working on. While these speakers are amply loud for sitting at the sofa and listening to music or watching movies, they're not really beefy enough to fill the large open space that is the downstairs of the carriage house I live in. That's fine for the most part. But when my son rehearses to Led Zeppelin I have to set the receiver volume at 0 to hear the music over his drumming. For most purposes I keep the volume between -22 and -7, so 0 is pushing it a bit. I'm even tempted to play them louder when my son rehearses, but don't want to risk damage.

I feel like I'm living dangerously. Is there any way to figure out whether I'm pushing the speakers too hard? I'm afraid that months of driving them like this may lead to damage, but for the moment everything seems fine. Can anyone advise me?
post #1007 of 2998 Old 07-10-2009, 04:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzie2 View Post

i can think of a way to protect an entire system (not just the speakers) using the cages but some people are so touchy when it comes to their kids.

post #1008 of 2998 Old 07-12-2009, 05:19 AM

Location: New York, New York (say it twice, we're kinda slow)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DValverde View Post

Hi folks,

I have a 5.1 A'Diva Ti setup, which I'm driving with a Denon AVR-5700 receiver. The speakers are rated up to 100 watts (the receiver handles the crossover); the receiver 140 watts per channel.

I recently moved my son's drum set into the same room so he can play along with the songs he's working on. While these speakers are amply loud for sitting at the sofa and listening to music or watching movies, they're not really beefy enough to fill the large open space that is the downstairs of the carriage house I live in. That's fine for the most part. But when my son rehearses to Led Zeppelin I have to set the receiver volume at 0 to hear the music over his drumming. For most purposes I keep the volume between -22 and -7, so 0 is pushing it a bit. I'm even tempted to play them louder when my son rehearses, but don't want to risk damage.

I feel like I'm living dangerously. Is there any way to figure out whether I'm pushing the speakers too hard? I'm afraid that months of driving them like this may lead to damage, but for the moment everything seems fine. Can anyone advise me?

I think we might need a few more details about your set-up. Are the drums and the speakers in the same room? Are there walls separating your system from the "practice room?

If we're talking about sound bleeding through from one room to another, there may be some things you can try, but if the speakers and drums are in the same room then that's it. Sense you're the older and wiser one, when you need some time alone with the speakers, kick him outside.

Xbox Live: SubPrime Debt

post #1009 of 2998 Old 07-12-2009, 04:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by DValverde View Post

Hi folks,

I have played bass guitar & baritone saxophone in many rock and jazz bands over the years. The best way to practice is to buy a reasonably good pair of headphones. Jamming out to the stereo is fun, but headphones provide the right level of control and detail to improve your chops. As an added benefit, you can record your playing w/o the stereo and critique your technique much more readily.

What's the most important feature of the headphones?

1) Open backed: so you can hear yourself play
2) Heavy duty cord: will last more than a month
3) Not to expensive: Expect to replace them every year

I use the Grado SR80. They sound great, are open backed, and sport a heavy duty cord.

Styln
post #1010 of 2998 Old 07-20-2009, 11:38 PM

Liked: 12
Hi all,
I'm looking for people who own both the 3.1 and S.A. to share some experiences and maybe advice. I have owned both the 3.1's and S.A. for about 6 months now, I know that I'm a little late joining the 3.1 club but I do greatly enjoy my speakers.

For all the owners or people with thorough experience using the 3.1's and S.A. together, I was wondering what you found was the best settings on the S.A. for your Gallo's. Now, I am aware of how things like "room acoustics, amplification, cables, etc. etc..." can affect the sound and that everyone's experiences will vary... but I'm just looking to get some ideas on resolving a strange issue that I have and not a lecture on how everything is different for everyone.

For me, the S.A. is a necessary purchase along with the 3.1's. I guess I am a "bass head", I never thought I was a bass head, but comparing to others' tastes that I've read about, I do enjoy more bass than the average listener. With the S.A. I have usable output/satisfying output down to ~20-25hz in my room. I am mostly a 2ch listener but also watch movies on my system. Everything works great, music sounds great, movies don't require any additional subwoofer, and frequency sweep test all pass. The only problem I have is when I play this one specific song, in which during the passage the song dips really low, must be (a subjective) 20hz or lower. This will bottom out the 10" woofers on the 3.1's. I am not worried about this one song because I can adjust the levels on the S.A. before listening to it, I am worried that there is a potential that my woofers are bottoming out on other material where I do not notice; such as a complicate passage in a song, or a movie scene loaded with information. I do not want to risk having my speakers being possible damaged by being overdriven. Since there isn't any kind of low-pass filter or sub-sonic filter on the S.A., I am wondering what settings worked best for you guys.

Can you overdrive the 10" woofers with the S.A. DESIGNED to be used with them?
Have you bottomed out your woofers with the S.A.?
What are your optimum settings to push the 3.1's lowest and loudest without damage?

If this post is too long, or unclear in any way, or is posted in the wrong thread, I'm sorry and please dont be mad! otherwise thank you.
post #1011 of 2998 Old 07-21-2009, 12:57 PM

Sorry I can't help...my hearing is not that good. I am curious, though, what that song/track is which goes below 20HZ.
post #1012 of 2998 Old 07-21-2009, 07:19 PM - Thread Starter

I bought the SA but as of yet have not hooked it up to my 3.1's because I have an enormous HSU subwoofer hooked up to the LFE input on my Integra DTR-8.8. My question is, can I hook up both? And if so, what do I input the SA into on the receiver?
post #1013 of 2998 Old 07-21-2009, 09:36 PM

Yes you can hook up both. The Gallo S.A. will feed off your stereo pre-outs. It will probably not compare to your dedicated subwoofer though...
post #1014 of 2998 Old 07-21-2009, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonbean View Post

Sorry I can't help...my hearing is not that good. I am curious, though, what that song/track is which goes below 20HZ.

Thanks bostonbean for the first reply. It is a song that my friend wrote. It is a techno-rap beat. Something like using analog synths and does not like to use digital samples? something about analog syths sounding "fatter". I may not be entirely acurate, so anyone who knows more about his than I do, feel free to correct.

I have been using this track at all auditions, it is probaby the lowest song I know of. I have only heard bass lower on a frequency sweep.

The only reason I can hear this, is because I know it is coming as the passage gets consecutively lower, and it is the only not playing during that brief second or so. I know it isn't supposed to sound that way because I've played it in my car with 3x10" woofers to play the not in a small space. I in not way use my "car audio" as a reference, but it is useful checking bass-content on the low stuff.
post #1015 of 2998 Old 07-21-2009, 10:25 PM
KKM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foveus View Post

I bought the SA but as of yet have not hooked it up to my 3.1's because I have an enormous HSU subwoofer hooked up to the LFE input on my Integra DTR-8.8. My question is, can I hook up both? And if so, what do I input the SA into on the receiver?

I'm in the mindset that obtaining LF from a well integrated and optimally placed seperate sub is less detrimental then using the SA. The additional LF vibration from the 2nd voice coil to the mids and highs housing is not ideal.
post #1016 of 2998 Old 07-22-2009, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKM View Post

I'm in the mindset that obtaining LF from a well integrated and optimally placed seperate sub is less detrimental then using the SA. The additional LF vibration from the 2nd voice coil to the mids and highs housing is not ideal.

Although I have heard this several times, I personally do not find this to be a problem. Yes, many people purchase aftermarket stands to resolve this, and even Gallo himself has changed the stand design on the new 3.5's. I believe the effects to be negligible. There may be some measured differences?(I don't know), but certainly no differences that I can hear after thorough AB testing, turning S.A. on and off. I do not hear any change in highs or mids, nor change in imaging or timing. I believe it to be one of those things like the "different speaker cable lengths", where people claim to be able to hear the differences if the cable run is longer for one speaker and not the other (only referring to mains). Yes, there is a measurable difference for two different cable lengths, but only in frequencies higher than 20khz I believe, and the difference is literally only a couple milliseconds. Not only are many people not able to hear that high, even if you can, your hearing there is not very good, and EVEN if you CAN hear there perfectly! the human brain would have a very difficult time detecting a 2ms difference. They say that it is more difference in the sound moving your head something like an inch or so to one side or another than having one longer speaker cable than the other.
post #1017 of 2998 Old 07-23-2009, 07:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giraffe View Post

Yes, there is a measurable difference for two different cable lengths, but only in frequencies higher than 20khz I believe, and the difference is literally only a couple milliseconds.

The signal travels on the cable at about the speed of light, or about 1 foot per nanosecond. So a 2 millisecond difference would mean a 2 million foot difference in cable length.
Quote:

They say that it is more difference in the sound moving your head something like an inch or so to one side or another than having one longer speaker cable than the other.

Sound travels at about 1 foot per millisecond, so moving your head by 1 foot makes about a million times as much difference in timing as 1 foot of cable.
post #1018 of 2998 Old 07-23-2009, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Garci View Post

The signal travels on the cable at about the speed of light, or about 1 foot per nanosecond. So a 2 millisecond difference would mean a 2 million foot difference in cable length.

Sound travels at about 1 foot per millisecond, so moving your head by 1 foot makes about a million times as much difference in timing as 1 foot of cable.

WOW! thank you for that clarification. Much appreciated. But like I said, not an audible difference that I can hear, but maybe for people with REALLY good hearing.....
post #1019 of 2998 Old 07-23-2009, 06:56 PM

So I e-mailed Gallo Tech Support and am now waiting a response for my issue, will let you know how it goes.
post #1020 of 2998 Old 07-25-2009, 09:41 AM

Liked: 18
Quote:

So I e-mailed Gallo Tech Support and am now waiting a response for my issue, will let you know how it goes.

Gallo Relations claimed they were going to monitor and participate on this link - we'll see.

Mitsubishi WD73-742, Oppo BDP-103, Gallo 3.1/ Reference AV center/ Adiva-ti surrounds, Emotiva UMC-200/ XPA-5/ XPA-3, Toshiba HD-A3. Roku XS

"All rooms, speakers and ears are different, trust your own ears."

Reply Speakers

Tags
Anthony Gallo Acoustics , Anthony Gallo Acoustics Tr 3d , Anthony Gallo Acoustics Nucleus Reference 3 5 , Yamaha , Sony , Pioneer Elite , Pioneer Elite 49 Txi Receiver

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page