Official Anthony Gallo Owners Thread - Page 46 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1351 of 2955 Old 02-04-2010, 10:51 PM

Location: New York, New York (say it twice, we're kinda slow)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just curious if anyone has had any experience with odyssey amps with a pair of Ref 3.1's? I remember discussing room acoustics with the folks at GIK a while back and the Odyssey amps were recommended to me for my Gallos. I ended up putting a hold on a new amp at the time, but am still curious.

Thanks!

Xbox Live: SubPrime Debt

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1352 of 2955 Old 02-07-2010, 08:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon joe View Post

hi all, new here. can anybody tell me if the yam dsp z7 is good enough to power gallo ref 3s for fronts ref av center and ref av surronds. it would be used 70% movies 30% music. ilike to watch n listen to live recordings concerts etc. its either that or a arcam avr 5 or 600. iunderstand that the arcam would be better for the music, just not sure i can afford the price difference. i suppose i want someone to tell me that the yam would sound great anyway,that its powerfull enough. i am by no stretch of the imagination an audiophile and wouldn,t just sit and critic the the system. but i do want normal people myself included to think wow that sounds fantastic. sincerly and gratefully yours jon joe

The Yamaha will sound fine. You do not need huge power to drive the Refs. Many on this thread are using less than 100W channel... some much much less.

In my experience, the WOW factor either requires a lot of money, modding lesser equipment, buying older equipment, or purchasing that rare giant killer product (like the OPPO BDP-83SE). I don't follow AVRs, so besides taking my advice with a grain of salt, I don't know of any great deals in that product category. Even so, I've read that the FMJ 600 sounds fantastic and from an audiophile's perspective is reasonably priced. I have never heard it myself.

The justification I use when buying A/V equipment is long term value. I tend to keep equipment at least 10 years, so I need to be WOW'd ievery time I turn it on. Therefore, I'm willing to pay more up front knowing I've got the best I could afford and it's one of the best out there for the price. As an example, even 8 years later, I'm having difficulty finding a MCH pre that sounds better than my old stereo pre.

I've also found that products getting broad positive press are getting it for a reason. Hopefully you have the option to try before you buy. If so, the best advice I could offer is to listen to them both in your home and then trust your own eyes and ears to decide which provides the most value.

Styln
post #1353 of 2955 Old 02-08-2010, 06:57 AM

Quote:

hi all, new here. can anybody tell me if the yam dsp z7 is good enough to power gallo ref 3s for fronts ref av center and ref av surronds. it would be used 70% movies 30% music. ilike to watch n listen to live recordings concerts etc. its either that or a arcam avr 5 or 600. iunderstand that the arcam would be better for the music, just not sure i can afford the price difference. i suppose i want someone to tell me that the yam would sound great anyway,that its powerfull enough. i am by no stretch of the imagination an audiophile and wouldn,t just sit and critic the the system. but i do want normal people myself included to think wow that sounds fantastic. sincerly and gratefully yours jon joe

If you don't think it is enough power you could pick up a Crown K2 amp off ebay for about $400. These pro amps don't have fans and are rated at 500 watts/channel). I just did this and noticed a significant difference in the sound of the Gallos over my 200 watt emotiva xpa-5.
post #1354 of 2955 Old 02-08-2010, 08:01 AM

I disagree, Styln. I have tried 3.1s with many different options performance wise and they are a totally different breed of speakers when hooked up with some serious power. They sounded best with 2 x 250 Class D-watts and Gallo subamp. Bryston 4BSST also sounded good, but anything below 150 real watts per channel aren`t able to get that 10" driver going properly. You get sound, but you aren`t anywhere near reaching the capability of the refs.

J
post #1355 of 2955 Old 02-09-2010, 02:13 AM

bu t these are all stereo amps arnt they? and as in my origally post movies are what i use it for 70% of the time
post #1356 of 2955 Old 02-09-2010, 04:38 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
Quote:

bu t these are all stereo amps arnt they? and as in my origally post movies are what i use it for 70% of the time

Well, you'll only need the extra power for the Ref 3.1s. By powering them with a seperate amp, you also free the power supply of your receiver from providing power for the main R&L, so more power is now available for the other channels.

So much media, so little time...

post #1357 of 2955 Old 02-09-2010, 05:15 AM

Quote:

jon joe, the Yamaha DSP Z7 will give you plenty of power for what you want to do. sounds like a nice little setup you are putting together.
post #1358 of 2955 Old 02-13-2010, 06:25 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Nice continuous review of the Stradas over on 6moons. Tons of info on the design and some new 3.5 info to boot, I think the new bases look much nicer then the outriggers.
post #1359 of 2955 Old 02-13-2010, 08:15 PM

http://www.stereotimes.com/comm021310.shtml

Pick ye berries while ye may.
post #1360 of 2955 Old 02-14-2010, 06:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1.3ollag View Post

http://www.stereotimes.com/comm021310.shtml

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurence Borden, Stereo Times View Post

I am happy to report that as good as the Nucleus Reference 3.1 is, the 3.5 is considerably better. The improvements are not subtle, and do not require repeated switching back and forth between the two speakers to discern.

Glad I'm not alone in my observations

post #1361 of 2955 Old 02-14-2010, 02:22 PM

Srajan Ebaen har similar statements in the 6moons article...

Awaiting my Stradas for delivery around wednesday this coming week - oh joy
post #1362 of 2955 Old 02-14-2010, 07:40 PM

I just heard the Nucleus Micro speakers and was impressed with their sound. What is the difference in quality in the Micro TI and is it worth the extra money?
post #1363 of 2955 Old 02-16-2010, 02:26 AM

http://6moons.com/audioreviews/gallo9/ref35.html

post #1364 of 2955 Old 02-16-2010, 08:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackte50 View Post

I just heard the Nucleus Micro speakers and was impressed with their sound. What is the difference in quality in the Micro TI and is it worth the extra money?

The Ti offers a more crisp/detailed/refined sound. I recommend an audition to determine which you would prefer.

post #1365 of 2955 Old 02-16-2010, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1.3ollag View Post

http://6moons.com/audioreviews/gallo9/ref35.html

Good stuff on both the Strada's and 3.5's. Interesting comment regarding shutting down the 3.x line if tooling had not already been in place for stands. Makes sense if you consider that Gallo is probably doing fine selling the satellite and Strada speakers. I'm sure dealing with quality control issues with some company in China is not fun. I am glad that Mr. Gallo hung in there and decided to upgrade the 3.1. The 3.5's, I am guessing, will be the last in this design for Gallo. I was talking to a Gallo dealer where I listened the 5LS' and he told me that Gallo is contemplating a shorter version of the 5LS's.
post #1366 of 2955 Old 02-16-2010, 03:15 PM

I just bought 5 stradas, super excited, will report back after I get them.
post #1367 of 2955 Old 02-16-2010, 08:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the Ref 3.5 links guys!

Modwright worked wonders for my Sony SACD CDP and the Oppo BDP-83 -> SE upgrade was equally impressive. I am now thinking that every mod I've done has brought tremendous value to my audio system. Since the most expensive part of the 3.5 is the spline assy, then it could very well be time for a drive to Chatsworth... mouse pads be damned!

Styln
post #1368 of 2955 Old 02-17-2010, 12:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakja83 View Post

I disagree, Styln. I have tried 3.1s with many different options performance wise and they are a totally different breed of speakers when hooked up with some serious power. They sounded best with 2 x 250 Class D-watts and Gallo subamp. Bryston 4BSST also sounded good, but anything below 150 real watts per channel aren`t able to get that 10" driver going properly. You get sound, but you aren`t anywhere near reaching the capability of the refs.

J

We've been round this many times on the thread. I tend to agree that more is better with the Refs as Gallo himself auditions them with mongo Spectron amps that make your setups look weak. That said, there are folks here that swear by their Refs and 15W tube amps.

So he's asking "is it good enough" and my answer is, yes it is. Is it going to give him the WOW factor you're talking about... he'll probably need to go for the FMJ 600 for that. So me thinks we are in general agreement. But honestly, I am not an AVR guy...

Styln
post #1369 of 2955 Old 02-20-2010, 10:57 AM
Advanced Member

Well, I guess being one of the first to purchase a set of speakers from an unknown manufacturer, and keeping in-touch, and becoming friends with the head of the company over time, has its dividends I got to be a beta tester for the 3.x to 3.5 upgrade process But better still, I was able to be involved for part of it. I say part of it, because while Anthony and I started on the process mid morning on a Sunday, we were unable to complete the process working well into the evening. I had no idea how complex these speakers are. There are a lot of parts that need to be assembled, just so, in-order for the things to work, and the interior of these speakers is far more confined than a typical box is. So while Anthony and I nearly completed the upgrade of one speaker that Sunday, he had his assistant complete the second during the week and I was able to pick-up both upgraded speakers the following weekend. This upgrade is a very labor intensive process; I'd say it's probably 8 to 10 man-hours per speaker.

As far as the sound goes, well I've now finally had a chance to listen to the Nucleus Reference 3.5s in MY system, and I can say with confidence that they are a game changer! After I sold my original aluminum sphere Nucleus Reference system, and replaced them with the Reference 3.1s, I was never 100% sure I'd done the right thing. In my system, I feel there was an immediacy and liveliness, that I felt I'd lost with the change. The sound stage was there, accuracy was there, but I think the PRaT and dynamics were somewhat missing. So reading about peoples' experiences with high powered amplifiers started me thinking in that direction, but I never pulled the trigger. With the 3.5 in my system that "life" is back in spades! These things are amazing; the increased immediacy has also increased the depth of the soundstage both in front of, and behind the speakers. I thought listening to Peter Gabrial's "Growing Up" from "Up", on the 3.1s was pretty impressive, with the sound seeming to come from far behind the speakers and as far forward as half-way into my room. With 3.5s the sound caused my room to disappear, with sound coming from places far beyond all the walls, even seeming to come from behind my listening position. Listening to NIN's album "With Teeth" put Reznor front and center in my room about 2 feet in front of the plane of the speakers with the band spread out behind him. Listening to Filter's "Title of Record" when track 2 "Welcome To the Fold" begins without any pause from track 1 "Sand", the thwack on the Tom-Tom caused me to jump out of my seat. The 3.1s never elicited as strong a response. Listening to EMI Classics Mstislav Rostropovich J. S. Bach Cello-Suiten 1, 4 & 5 I could hear all the detail as the bow was being dragged across the strings, I could hear Mstislav inhale and take a breath between notes, I don't recall hearing some of these little details as clearly with the 3.1s. Listening to Tori Amos' "Little Earthquakes", the drum on the opening track "Crucify" is wonderful, with an obvious sound of the head of the stick hitting the skin, and then a slow rumbling decay, and all of it can be heard and felt.

I've been listening to more music than I have in a while, because the 3.5s are giving me more to listen to. In my opinion the upgrade from 3.1 to 3.5 is significant, and while the cost difference isn't insignificant, you owe it to yourself to at least audition them. Anthony isn't expecting to sell as many of these due to the higher price, but I think he may be surprised

post #1370 of 2955 Old 02-20-2010, 02:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryecohen View Post

Well, I guess being one of the first to purchase a set of speakers from an unknown manufacturer, and keeping in-touch, and becoming friends with the head of the company over time, has its dividends I got to be a beta tester for the 3.x to 3.5 upgrade process But better still, I was able to be involved for part of it. I say part of it, because while Anthony and I started on the process mid morning on a Sunday, we were unable to complete the process working well into the evening. I had no idea how complex these speakers are. There are a lot of parts that need to be assembled, just so, in-order for the things to work, and the interior of these speakers is far more confined than a typical box is. So while Anthony and I nearly completed the upgrade of one speaker that Sunday, he had his assistant complete the second during the week and I was able to pick-up both upgraded speakers the following weekend. This upgrade is a very labor intensive process; I'd say it's probably 8 to 10 man-hours per speaker.

As far as the sound goes, well I've now finally had a chance to listen to the Nucleus Reference 3.5s in MY system, and I can say with confidence that they are a game changer! After I sold my original aluminum sphere Nucleus Reference system, and replaced them with the Reference 3.1s, I was never 100% sure I'd done the right thing. In my system, I feel there was an immediacy and liveliness, that I felt I'd lost with the change. The sound stage was there, accuracy was there, but I think the PRaT and dynamics were somewhat missing. So reading about peoples' experiences with high powered amplifiers started me thinking in that direction, but I never pulled the trigger. With the 3.5 in my system that "life" is back in spades! These things are amazing; the increased immediacy has also increased the depth of the soundstage both in front of, and behind the speakers. I thought listening to Peter Gabrial's "Growing Up" from "Up", on the 3.1s was pretty impressive, with the sound seeming to come from far behind the speakers and as far forward as half-way into my room. With 3.5s the sound caused my room to disappear, with sound coming from places far beyond all the walls, even seeming to come from behind my listening position. Listening to NIN's album "With Teeth" put Reznor front and center in my room about 2 feet in front of the plane of the speakers with the band spread out behind him. Listening to Filter's "Title of Record" when track 2 "Welcome To the Fold" begins without any pause from track 1 "Sand", the thwack on the Tom-Tom caused me to jump out of my seat. The 3.1s never elicited as strong a response. Listening to EMI Classics Mstislav Rostropovich J. S. Bach Cello-Suiten 1, 4 & 5 I could hear all the detail as the bow was being dragged across the strings, I could hear Mstislav inhale and take a breath between notes, I don't recall hearing some of these little details as clearly with the 3.1s. Listening to Tori Amos' "Little Earthquakes", the drum on the opening track "Crucify" is wonderful, with an obvious sound of the head of the stick hitting the skin, and then a slow rumbling decay, and all of it can be heard and felt.

I've been listening to more music than I have in a while, because the 3.5s are giving me more to listen to. In my opinion the upgrade from 3.1 to 3.5 is significant, and while the cost difference isn't insignificant, you owe it to yourself to at least audition them. Anthony isn't expecting to sell as many of these due to the higher price, but I think he may be surprised

That is so awesome that you spend quality time with AG

Thanks for all the info on the upgrade process and the sound. I'm interested in the upgrade, too. Any idea on the cost and also when it will be generally available? Just FYI, I'd be interested in an option where the the parts are shipped out and I perform the transformation/labor.

Styln
post #1371 of 2955 Old 02-20-2010, 03:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for posting your experiences and thoughts. Did you get an opportunity to audition the 3.1 and 3.5 side by side? Not doubting what you heard but this is definately a situation where I would want to A/B a speaker and I doubt I'd get that chance at the local dealer. Are you bi-amping the 3.5's?
post #1372 of 2955 Old 02-20-2010, 05:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Styln View Post

That is so awesome that you spend quality time with AG

Thanks for all the info on the upgrade process and the sound. I'm interested in the upgrade, too. Any idea on the cost and also when it will be generally available? Just FYI, I'd be interested in an option where the the parts are shipped out and I perform the transformation/labor.

Styln

Quality time with Anthony he says I only come over to get my "Dog Fix". He's got a wonderful Staffordshire Bull Terrier, Dante, that I always spend time playing tug-o-war and fetch with when I visit.

Anthony wasn't sure yet about final pricing on the upgrade. One of the reasons I got to be a Guinea-Pig, is that he needed to get a feel for doing an actual upgrade on a stock 3.1. Running through a full upgrade is different than tweaking a speaker over the course of its development. But I think Anthony is nearly ready to begin accepting speakers for upgrade. He said they'll be doing upgrades on both the east and west cost to cut down on shipping charges.

FWIW, the tweeter gets modified, and the other 3 drivers are replaced. Also replaced are the mid-range housings and the tweeter mounts. The internal wiring gets modified, along with the cross-over for the woofer. It really is a very involved process. There is a good amount of sealant/glue inside the speaker that is there to seal openings and prevent screws from coming loose over time. The old stuff needs to be removed, and new sealant applied during assembly. Anthony had offered me a couple of A' La Carte options to save me some money, but I didn't take them because he demonstrated the differences on a set of test mules he had on hand. The by-pass caps on the woofer cross-over cost me a few hundred, but they are absolutely worth it, and I sincerely doubt that commercial upgrades will be anything less than 100%.

As far as a kit goes, I'd thought about going the DIY route myself, but after seeing all that's involved, I'm very glad Anthony suggested otherwise. For reference, I've fully rebuilt the suspension on, and pulled and replaced the motor in my TwinTurbo 300zx in my driveway a couple of times, so I'm pretty mechanically inclined But I'll be sure to let him know the interest is there for DIY upgrade kits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcemanDallas View Post

Thanks for posting your experiences and thoughts. Did you get an opportunity to audition the 3.1 and 3.5 side by side? Not doubting what you heard but this is definately a situation where I would want to A/B a speaker and I doubt I'd get that chance at the local dealer. Are you bi-amping the 3.5's?

I never A/B'd them in my system, but I did A/B 3.1 against 3.5 a number of times at Anthony's and the results were similar. I even got a chance to A/B my 3.5s against 3.1s when I picked them up. I think it was more dramatic for me noting the changes in my system because I'm obviously more familiar with the sound I get here. A/B'ing at Anthony's is similar to going to a demo someplace, you get the gist of the differences in the sound but none of it is fully familiar so it's harder to really judge.

I've never powered the woofer's second VC while listening to them, not in my system, or when listening at Anthony's.

As far as Bi-Amp/Bi-Wiring goes, I'd like to clarify for anyone who may read this, that the Reference 3.x series isn't Bi-Amp/Bi-Wire capable in the traditional sense. The upper binding posts power the whole speaker, and the signal runs through a low-pass crossover to power one of the woofer's two voice coils. The second set of binding posts, directly powers the woofer's second voice-coil with no filtering.

post #1373 of 2955 Old 02-21-2010, 10:15 AM

Quote:

Quality time with Anthony he says I only come over to get my "Dog Fix". He's got a wonderful Staffordshire Bull Terrier, Dante, that I always spend time playing tug-o-war and fetch with when I visit.

Anthony wasn't sure yet about final pricing on the upgrade. One of the reasons I got to be a Guinea-Pig, is that he needed to get a feel for doing an actual upgrade on a stock 3.1. Running through a full upgrade is different than tweaking a speaker over the course of its development. But I think Anthony is nearly ready to begin accepting speakers for upgrade. He said they'll be doing upgrades on both the east and west cost to cut down on shipping charges.

FWIW, the tweeter gets modified, and the other 3 drivers are replaced. Also replaced are the mid-range housings and the tweeter mounts. The internal wiring gets modified, along with the cross-over for the woofer. It really is a very involved process. There is a good amount of sealant/glue inside the speaker that is there to seal openings and prevent screws from coming loose over time. The old stuff needs to be removed, and new sealant applied during assembly. Anthony had offered me a couple of A' La Carte options to save me some money, but I didn't take them because he demonstrated the differences on a set of test mules he had on hand. The by-pass caps on the woofer cross-over cost me a few hundred, but they are absolutely worth it, and I sincerely doubt that commercial upgrades will be anything less than 100%.

As far as a kit goes, I'd thought about going the DIY route myself, but after seeing all that's involved, I'm very glad Anthony suggested otherwise. For reference, I've fully rebuilt the suspension on, and pulled and replaced the motor in my TwinTurbo 300zx in my driveway a couple of times, so I'm pretty mechanically inclined But I'll be sure to let him know the interest is there for DIY upgrade kits.

Thanks Barry, couple of quick questions. You say the tweeter gets "modified" instead of replaced. What does that mean? Is the modified tweeter the new CDTIII tweeter? And what about the base? Was that replaced and if so what do you think of it. Thanks again.
post #1374 of 2955 Old 02-21-2010, 11:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonbean View Post

Thanks Barry, couple of quick questions. You say the tweeter gets "modified" instead of replaced. What does that mean? Is the modified tweeter the new CDTIII tweeter? And what about the base? Was that replaced and if so what do you think of it. Thanks again.

Simply yes, the modifications to the tweeter bring it to full CDTIII spec. The material that fills the chamber inside the tweeter is changed from a poly batting to a copper batting material, and this batting is attached to the internal wiring modifications that are done to the speaker.

The base is no-longer wood, it's a phenolic material and I think they look great. The gentle curve on the front and the lack of the step, found on the original, update the look of the speaker nicely. I did listen to 3.5s with both their new bases and mounted to the old 3.1 base. The bases have pretty significant effect on the sound, they enable the short 3.5, to present a sound stage much taller than their short stature would suggest. But they are the one place I opted to save myself a few hundred dollars at this time. Since they are an easy bolt-on, I plan to add them in a few months after I've replenished my piggy-bank a bit

post #1375 of 2955 Old 02-21-2010, 12:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I never A/B'd them in my system, but I did A/B 3.1 against 3.5 a number of times at Anthony's and the results were similar. I even got a chance to A/B my 3.5s against 3.1s when I picked them up. I think it was more dramatic for me noting the changes in my system because I'm obviously more familiar with the sound I get here. A/B'ing at Anthony's is similar to going to a demo someplace, you get the gist of the differences in the sound but none of it is fully familiar so it's harder to really judge.

That's all you can really expect, to hear them in the same room and with the same electronics. Enjoy!
post #1376 of 2955 Old 02-21-2010, 12:54 PM

Sitting here listening to my Stradas and they sound spectacular. They are just so accurate and musical that I am just in awe.

However, I am thinking that there may be better amplifiers to match up with them than my 1600$ Roksan Kandy K2, however good it is. 6moons` Ebaen recommends Aaron and Stello, but they are difficult to get my hands on, are there any other good recommendations og 2 channel integrated amps within reasonable budget? (Up to 3000ish)

LL
post #1377 of 2955 Old 02-21-2010, 04:10 PM

Jak,

Nice pic..can't wait to get mine. Can you comment on how they sound really close to the wall? I'll be wall mounting mine, wondering how much of the soundstage i'm going to lose out on.

Also, 6moons just posted their full review of the stradas:

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/gallo10/strada.html
post #1378 of 2955 Old 02-21-2010, 04:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asap200x View Post

snip...

Cool, I'm psych'd to read what Srajan has to say about the 3.5s.

post #1379 of 2955 Old 02-21-2010, 10:31 PM

How's new improvement in the vertical dispersion on the soundstage with the new Strada or Reference 3.5? Any big noticeable improvement on the soundstage height?

Ken
post #1380 of 2955 Old 02-22-2010, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asap200x View Post

Jak,

Nice pic..can't wait to get mine. Can you comment on how they sound really close to the wall? I'll be wall mounting mine, wondering how much of the soundstage i'm going to lose out on.

I know, looks good.

They sound good close to the walls, but I feel they open up when pulled out on the floor, but loses some bass. I am experimenting with toe-in and it looks like I have to toe them far in to get biggest soundstage.

Anyone have any ideas on how well e.g. a Naim XS would fit them sonicaly.
Reply Speakers

Tags
Anthony Gallo Acoustics , Anthony Gallo Acoustics Tr 3d , Anthony Gallo Acoustics Nucleus Reference 3 5 , Yamaha , Sony , Pioneer Elite , Pioneer Elite 49 Txi Receiver

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page