Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaara View Post

Hoping this is a typo -> "Warranty: One year parts and labor"

http://www.roundsound.com/registration.php

Partial quote from the page linked above:

"All Anthony Gallo Acoustics products come with our standard one (1) year parts and labor factory warranty. By registering your product within 60 days of purchase, you can extend your coverage to five (5) years (with the exception of the S.A. Subwoofer Amplifier and the TR-1 and TR-2 subwoofers, which can be extended to two years)."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1442 of 2976 Old 03-30-2010, 11:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by magic12kenneth View Post

Now you really got me excited.I can't wait to demo one. Can you list some of the stereophile albums here because I wanted to buy for audition?

Ken

Yeah, demoing speakers is fun because there is so much variation between them. In general, much more "personality" than electronics. Here are the two I'd start with:

Stereophile Test CD 2 is probably the best for soundstage and imaging testing. Track 10 "Mapping the Soundstage" pretty much says it all. The booklet guides you through how the various tracks were recorded and what you should hear. Nice mix of music and test tones, etc...

The Stereophile Rendezvous disc is one of my favorite jazz discs. Sounds great and "The Mooche" puts a trombone in your face! The booklet has a picture of the band members placement, JA writes about the equipment used to record and master the disc and how he was able to keep the soundstage faithful to the placement of the band members during the recording session.

Styln
post #1443 of 2976 Old 03-30-2010, 11:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKM View Post

My experience matches up with yours. But you want to buy from a audio company that has confidence in their build quality to offer a longer warranty. It seems for speakers 5 years for parts and labor is fairly common. For electronics, few can beat Bryston't 20 year warranty and their exemplary customer service.

No argument on the confidence front. As others have pointed out Gallo does provide a 5 yr warranty.

With Gaara's CDT failure I think that is the 2nd or 3rd failure reported on this thread since it started in early 2007. One guy pretty much admitted to driving the speakers to hard during burn-in. As I recall, everyone was happy (well as happy as you can be under those circumstances) with the support they got from Gallo.

Styln
post #1444 of 2976 Old 03-31-2010, 11:44 AM

Have a pair of 3.5's on order.
post #1445 of 2976 Old 03-31-2010, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonbean View Post

Cool, It will be nice to hear another review comparison to the 3.1's
post #1446 of 2976 Old 04-01-2010, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Styln View Post

No argument on the confidence front. As others have pointed out Gallo does provide a 5 yr warranty.

With Gaara's CDT failure I think that is the 2nd or 3rd failure reported on this thread since it started in early 2007. One guy pretty much admitted to driving the speakers to hard during burn-in. As I recall, everyone was happy (well as happy as you can be under those circumstances) with the support they got from Gallo.

Styln

I had 1 issue and maybe 1 non-issue but both were taken care of very quickly by my support center.

The real issue was that my woofer was wired out of phase to the mid-range drivers. The funny thing was that the second voice coil was in-phase but I was not using it.

The shop confirmed my findings and fixed it for me.

The second issue was that one of the tweeters went almost black vs gold which they normally turn to. It still seemed to play and sound ok but I was bothered by it and the shop ordered a replacement tweeter and swapped it out, that was after 3+ years.

Service wise, I think they are quite good. Better then other manufactures that I have had to deal with being an international customer (why is Rotel's international warranty 2 years vs 5 years for US Warranty?)

I am hoping the 3.5's get out here soon....
post #1447 of 2976 Old 04-01-2010, 02:24 AM

How were you able to determine on your own that the woofer was wired out of phase to the mid-range drivers?!
post #1448 of 2976 Old 04-01-2010, 08:44 AM

If anybody owns the Mapleshades stands could you please let me know if the two front megafeet have tripplepoints or are flat?

Thanks
post #1449 of 2976 Old 04-01-2010, 12:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCJ98GST View Post

If anybody owns the Mapleshades stands could you please let me know if the two front megafeet have tripplepoints or are flat?

Thanks

Mine are radiused but I believe that you can choose depending on carpet or tile flooring.
post #1450 of 2976 Old 04-01-2010, 04:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giraffe View Post

How were you able to determine on your own that the woofer was wired out of phase to the mid-range drivers?!

Hey, I was going to ask that question

I'm guessing it wouldn't pass the standard phase test available on many media. And/Or there is the 9V battery test that will momentarily cause the drivers to jump either in or out. Inquiring minds want to know.

Styln
post #1451 of 2976 Old 04-01-2010, 08:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Eva Cassidy Live at Blues Alley was made to be played on the Refs

You get that spooky imaging of planners to convey the stage ambiance with the slam and volume of dynamics so you can feel the band. And Eva is belting it out right in front of me... WOW!

Styln
post #1452 of 2976 Old 04-02-2010, 07:51 AM

Quote:

I took a 1.5 volt AAA battery and connect the positive to the positive terminal on on each binding post on both speakers. On 3 or of the 4 binding posts the woofer moved out, on the upper binding post on my left speaker, the woofer moved in.
post #1453 of 2976 Old 04-02-2010, 08:08 AM

Quote:

Hey, I was going to ask that question

I'm guessing it wouldn't pass the standard phase test available on many media. And/Or there is the 9V battery test that will momentarily cause the drivers to jump either in or out. Inquiring minds want to know.

Styln

Originally when I suspected a problem, I put both speakers next to each other straight ahead of me with the woofers facing each other and I played music while switch the speaker cables. The results were this:

While both positive were connected to positive I had dead solid sound like there was a single speaker with almost no bass.

Then I switch the cable on one speaker and the bass increased huge but the sound seemed to come from ever corner of the room except the center.

I then talked to the dealer who didn't really believe it but asked me to take a batter to each terminal and check the behavior of all the drivers. That is how I found one driver moved in a different direction then all the others.
post #1454 of 2976 Old 04-02-2010, 11:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdc115 View Post

I took a 1.5 volt AAA battery and connect the positive to the positive terminal on on each binding post on both speakers. On 3 or of the 4 binding posts the woofer moved out, on the upper binding post on my left speaker, the woofer moved in.

And for everyone thinking about trying this on their speakers this weekend - be sure to disconnect your speaker cables first.

Styln
post #1455 of 2976 Old 04-03-2010, 03:23 AM

Will the battery test not damage the CDT?
post #1456 of 2976 Old 04-03-2010, 10:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Will the battery test not damage the CDT?

No, but proceed at your own risk.

I have used this test on probably 50 different speakers. Many of them were sound reinforcement and had either compressor horns and/or traditional piezo electric tweeters. Never seen any damage from this momentary pulse test. Here is why:

Let's say an amp delivers a maximum of 350W (W) to the Ref 3.1 which provides an average 6 ohm load resistive load (R). The power formula (P = I^2 * R) where (I) is the current flowing through the circuit. First we solve for the current flow:

350 = I^2 * 6
58= I^2
7.6A = I = current

Now we use ohms law to figure out what voltages the speaker will see at 350W. Ohm's laws for this is V = I * R:

V = 7.6A * 6R
V = 46 = voltage

This is considerably less than either the 1.5V or 9V battery. Also, the batteries will put out orders of magnitude less current than an amplifier. The max for an AA is at 3A and a 9V is 1.2A for lithium cells. Therefore, the power is very low and it would seem impossible/improbable that this could damage the CDT (which is a piezo transducer) or any other speaker.

Also consider that all common transducers react to change, not steady state. Since a battery is DC, it only reacts to that change from 0V to either 1.5V or 9V. Don't leave the battery connected, however, just touch it momentarily to the speaker terminals to see which direction your drivers move.

I'll try it later, but again, proceed at your own risk, or not at all if you're uncomfortable with this. Suggest you do the phase test first (see my recommendation on the Stereophile Test CD 2), and if everything sound fine, it probably is.

I used this procedure when I was in a rock band and had to quickly test tens of speakers for proper phase very quickly. And also less frequently on my DIY speakers to make sure I hooked everything up correctly

The reason you need to disconnect your speaker cables is because most amplifiers have very low resistance (R) values. Therefore, all the momentary energy from the battery would effectively be shorted out.

Styln
post #1457 of 2976 Old 04-03-2010, 04:50 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
Quote:

Excellent, looking forward to your impressions!

So much media, so little time...

post #1458 of 2976 Old 04-05-2010, 08:17 PM

This is my $3500 reference system with Stradas, the Virtue Piano player, and Virtue Sensation 451 RC integrated. This is just awesome, finally getting everything broken in.

I bought a Gallo sub, but it is still sitting in the box. With these speakers placed about one foot from the wall. the bass is good enough for me.
post #1459 of 2976 Old 04-05-2010, 08:43 PM
KKM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
If anyone in the LA area is interested, not sure if they are auditioning the 3.5's or Strada's or both so maybe give them a call if interested:

Sunday, April 18, 2-5pm: The Los Angeles & Orange County Audio Society will hold its big event at Evolution Audio & Video in Agoura Hills ( 5341 Derry Avenue Suite S). Hosted by Lifetime Member Jay Frank, the event will feature the very latest loudspeakers from Anthony Gallo Acoustics and hottest electronics from Meridian . Major guest speakers to be announced. Stay tuned! A super raffle is being planned and delicious lunch will be served. Guests, visitors and new members are invited, and parking is free. For more info, call Bob Levi at (714) 281-5850.
post #1460 of 2976 Old 04-05-2010, 10:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzarkTom View Post

This is my $3500 reference system with Stradas, the Virtue Piano player, and Virtue Sensation 451 RC integrated. This is just awesome, finally getting everything broken in.

I bought a Gallo sub, but it is still sitting in the box. With these speakers placed about one foot from the wall. the bass is good enough for me.

Very cool and compact system - bet it sounds great!

Styln
post #1461 of 2976 Old 04-06-2010, 01:40 AM

Quote:

Very cool and compact system - bet it sounds great!

Styln

If not, it sure looks great.
post #1462 of 2976 Old 04-06-2010, 10:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKM View Post

If anyone in the LA area is interested, not sure if they are auditioning the 3.5's or Strada's or both so maybe give them a call if interested:

Sunday, April 18, 2-5pm: The Los Angeles & Orange County Audio Society will hold its big event at Evolution Audio & Video in Agoura Hills ( 5341 Derry Avenue Suite S). Hosted by Lifetime Member Jay Frank, the event will feature the very latest loudspeakers from Anthony Gallo Acoustics and hottest electronics from Meridian . Major guest speakers to be announced. Stay tuned! A super raffle is being planned and delicious lunch will be served. Guests, visitors and new members are invited, and parking is free. For more info, call Bob Levi at (714) 281-5850.

Do you know when we can hear them in the SF Bay area?
post #1463 of 2976 Old 04-06-2010, 10:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If not, it sure looks great.

Pretty sure it sounds at least as good as it looks It's a tripath design with some guys behind it with some audiophile experience. I like the DIY/roll your own aspect to the system. For example, they have like 6 different power supplies you can pick for that integrated amp. Heck, you can even make the PS yourself if you want to (and I would want too ).

Looks like a lot of fun and an inexpensive way to get audiophile quality sound. I love building stuff like this, and this http://www.transcendentsound.com, too. Wish I had more time...

Styln
post #1464 of 2976 Old 04-07-2010, 12:59 PM

Some 3.5 specs

http://www.soundsandcinema.com/cgi-b...ml?id=EUSEfiDR

Frequency Response: 32Hz to 20kHz +/- 3dB
Frequency Response (Active Bass): 20Hz to 20kHz +/- 3dB
Impedance: 8ohms
Sensitivity: 87dB watt/1 meter
Power Handling: 350 watts RMS
Driver: Dual 4 inch Carbon fiber midrange drivers
Driver: Custom 10 inch dual voice coil ceramic coated aluminum bass driver
CDT 3 Tweeter: 300 degree dispersion 3kHz - 20kHz
Dimensions: 35.5 inches high, 7.5 inches wide, 18 inches deep
Weight: 61 lbs each
Connections: Gold plated brass binding posts
Enclosure: Aluminum / Stainless Steel
Finish: Black/Black or Black/Stainless with black base
Option Grill: $195 ea
post #1465 of 2976 Old 04-07-2010, 07:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Some 3.5 specs

http://www.soundsandcinema.com/cgi-b...ml?id=EUSEfiDR

Frequency Response: 32Hz to 20kHz +/- 3dB
Frequency Response (Active Bass): 20Hz to 20kHz +/- 3dB
Impedance: 8ohms
Sensitivity: 87dB watt/1 meter
Power Handling: 350 watts RMS
Driver: Dual 4 inch Carbon fiber midrange drivers
Driver: Custom 10 inch dual voice coil ceramic coated aluminum bass driver
CDT 3 Tweeter: 300 degree dispersion 3kHz - 20kHz
Dimensions: 35.5 inches high, 7.5 inches wide, 18 inches deep
Weight: 61 lbs each
Connections: Gold plated brass binding posts
Enclosure: Aluminum / Stainless Steel
Finish: Black/Black or Black/Stainless with black base
Option Grill: $195 ea

You left out an important spec:

$5,999.00
post #1466 of 2976 Old 04-07-2010, 08:00 PM

Is anybody here going to the Lone Star Audio Fest in Dallas next month? I was thinking about showing the Sensation-Strada system at the show.
post #1467 of 2976 Old 04-12-2010, 12:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzarkTom View Post

Is anybody here going to the Lone Star Audio Fest in Dallas next month? I was thinking about showing the Sensation-Strada system at the show.

Well Dallas is a bit far for me, but what is the "Sensation"?

post #1468 of 2976 Old 04-17-2010, 07:53 PM
Advanced Member

Well I went to visit with Anthony today, and found out he's got some new affordable CDT speakers in the works, and strangest thing of all...

They're in boxes!!!

They sounded great, not 3.5 great, but amazing for a $999/pair book shelf speaker. I think the may even go deeper than the 3.5, but of course won't play as loudly. I think I may have to get a pair for my living room

post #1469 of 2976 Old 04-17-2010, 09:14 PM
AVS Special Member

How can a book-shelf speaker go deeper than a floor-standing 3.5?
post #1470 of 2976 Old 04-18-2010, 06:27 AM
Advanced Member

The simple answer is: it's ported. But as I said, it won't play as loudly as a 3.5.

Reply Speakers

Tags
Anthony Gallo Acoustics , Anthony Gallo Acoustics Tr 3d , Anthony Gallo Acoustics Nucleus Reference 3 5 , Yamaha , Sony , Pioneer Elite , Pioneer Elite 49 Txi Receiver

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page