AVS Forum banner
711K views 4K replies 402 participants last post by  gjr. 
#1 ·
There have been many recent disparate posts inquiring about the Gallos .. namely the Reference 3.1's. So it would make sense to start an owners thread where all the questions can be concentrated and answered within this one thread.

It should also be an area for our mutual Gallo luv-fest for these insanely great sounding (and priced) speakers. Please feel free to post pics of your speakers, equipment and rooms.

Let the love begin ........

#1,202 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by paunui /forum/post/17666056

Hi,

just about to purchase a Gallo set up and searching for some advice if possible.

Thinking:

4 x Diva ti

1 x Strada for center (or would another Diva Ti do the job for the center)

1 x TR3

Denon 2310 amp.

IMHO the Strada in center is overkill. A Diva would be fine. Another alternative would be all Strada's upfront with Diva's in the back. Of course more $$$'s.

The Denon 2310 seems to be a fine amp so no problem there.

#1,203 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repdetect /forum/post/17663257

Be a little cautious. The 3.0's I believe are rated at 350W, as the 3.1's are. You will be driving the 2nd voice-coil alone with 350W. Shouldn't be a problem with reasonable listening levels.

I've found the Gallo's to exhibit a curious phenomena compared to all other speakers I've owned. When I crank up the volume, I feel rather than it getting primarily louder, I rather feel I am going deeper in to the mix. That experience could lead someone to overdrive the Gallos if your amp can provide a lot of clean power, as the Emotivas can. I'm using an XPA-3 on mine.

I've been using a Crown K2 rated at 500 watts into 8 ohms for my second coils. I tried the XPA-5 into the mains and liked the sound but I went with more power with the D-sonic and I like the sound a lot more.

#1,204 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonbean /forum/post/17666609

IMHO the Strada in center is overkill. A Diva would be fine.

I respectfully disagree.

With 3.1's for my mains, for the center I have been through a Due, an Adiva ti and now use a Reference AV center, and I now hear how the Due and Adiva ti were woefully inadequate in comparison. Perhaps 80-90% of a film soundtrack runs through the center channel, including quite a bit of midbass on occasion. The Adiva ti may be ok at low to moderate volume levels but when I installed the Reference center, the Adiva ti's inadequate performance was readily apparent. It wasn't subtle.

I have not heard the Strada's but I have no doubt they will seriously outperform the Adiva ti's, as they should for that price and would be a wise investment in a center channel.

If you are able, audition both at a Gallo dealer, then let your own ears decide.

Reactions: Oldemar
#1,205 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveN /forum/post/17667265

I've been using a Crown K2 rated at 500 watts into 8 ohms for my second coils. I tried the XPA-5 into the mains and liked the sound but I went with more power with the D-sonic and I like the sound a lot more.

Dave, have you ever run the 2nd voice coil off the xpa-5, if so did the K2 sound any better?

Is the D-sonic only powering the primary voice-coil?

I am curious how much more power to the 2nd voice coil might improve that lowest bottom ovtave.

#1,207 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repdetect /forum/post/17667615

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonbean /forum/post/17666609

IMHO the Strada in center is overkill. A Diva would be fine. Another alternative would be all Strada's upfront with Diva's in the back. Of course more $$$'s.

The Denon 2310 seems to be a fine amp so no problem there.

I respectfully disagree.

With 3.1's for my mains, for the center I have been through a Due, an Adiva ti and now use a Reference AV center, and I now hear how the Due and Adiva ti were woefully inadequate in comparison. Perhaps 80-90% of a film soundtrack runs through the center channel, including quite a bit of midbass on occasion. The Adiva ti may be ok at low to moderate volume levels but when I installed the Reference center, the Adiva ti's inadequate performance was readily apparent. It wasn't subtle.

I have not heard the Strada's but I have no doubt they will seriously outperform the Adiva ti's, as they should for that price and would be a wise investment in a center channel.

If you are able, audition both at a Gallo dealer, then let your own ears decide.

Rep, while I agree with you in that a Strada will surely out-perform an A-Diva, I believe that Mr. Bean was referring to the fact that paunui would be running A-Divas on the left and right, and that the Strada center would be over-kill in comparison. However, paunui could start with 1 Strada now, and later add 2 more if the budget is a consideration, moving the L&R A-Divas to rear surrounds or to augment another system elsewhere in the home.

#1,208 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryecohen /forum/post/17668137

Rep, while I agree with you in that a Strada will surely out-perform an A-Diva, I believe that Mr. Bean was referring to the fact that paunui would be running A-Divas on the left and right, and that the Strada center would be over-kill in comparison. However, paunui could start with 1 Strada now, and later add 2 more if the budget is a consideration, moving the L&R A-Divas to rear surrounds or to augment another system elsewhere in the home.

Thanks Mr. Cohen, that is exactly what I meant. I should have said "in the proposed configuration". But alas, I did not. I did say that 3 Stradas upfront would be nice so I am not saying that the Strada is overkill in general.

#1,209 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCJ98GST /forum/post/17667808

I am contemplating eventually using a strada center channel with my ref 3.0's. I know it is a different tweeter so the timber match will be a little off. But the strada goes deeper than the AV Center and is actually cheaper.

I run my 3.1s together with a reference center and the timber is different as well, so that should not stop you.

#1,210 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryecohen /forum/post/17668137

Agree.

I think many people find themselves in a dilemma regarding how much to invest in a center channel for the fronts. If you listen to a lot of 2 channel, then not as much, but if someone is listening primarily to movies or MCH, then a reasonable argument can be made to invest more in a strong center. An Adiva L/R and a Strada center would make sense.

I've heard too many systems where the center was a lesser speaker than the L/R and MCH performance was compromised.

#1,211 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by luismanrara /forum/post/17668275

I run my 3.1s together with a reference center and the timber is different as well, so that should not stop you.

I have found the same, esp. for movies the timbre mismatch is not an issue for me. I do feel though that the timbre mismatch is due more to the 2 mids having different crossovers points than the 3.1 mids, than from the tweeter. I think the tweeter is the same on the 3.1's and Ref AV's except the tweeter dispersion is a bit different.

#1,212 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by paunui /forum/post/17666056

Hi,

just about to purchase a Gallo set up and searching for some advice if possible.

Thinking:

4 x Diva ti

1 x Strada for center (or would another Diva Ti do the job for the center)

1 x TR3

Denon 2310 amp.

My first system, so no real idea on what a good system sounds like, just trying to get something reasonable first up . . . and with WAF high on priority list.

And the Denon amp. . .is this a good match ?

Also room size is approx. 16' x 13'. . . .but open dining room behind it, similar size again.

Appreciate your comments.

Cheers,

Craig

Thanks for all the feedback.

One last question,

Any real difference if I dropped down the rears to Micro Ti's from Diva Ti's.

Better / worse / no difference ?

Cheers

Craig

#1,213 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by paunui /forum/post/17668631

One last question,

Cheers

Craig

The A-Diva, due to it's larger cabinet, has a slightly more full sound than the Micro, so you're better off with the A-Divas.

#1,214 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repdetect /forum/post/17667637

Dave, have you ever run the 2nd voice coil off the xpa-5, if so did the K2 sound any better?

Is the D-sonic only powering the primary voice-coil?

I am curious how much more power to the 2nd voice coil might improve that lowest bottom ovtave.

I did not. Thw D-Sonic is only powering the primary coil. I ordered the Emotiva for mt HT and on a whim decided to insert it into my 2 channel system. The K2 is more powerful than the XPA-5 but I doubt for low freq. that the sound quality would differ. With the 500 plus watt D- Sonic I had to crank the K2 output down because the bass increased significantly.

IMO amplifier quality matters less for low frequency vs. the higher ranges. I thought about a pair of XPA-1 amps for the main coils and that would be quite an improvement over the XPA-5. I wouldn't spend a mint on the second coil amp. You could try the XPA-1's and it would only cost you shipping....

#1,215 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveN /forum/post/17670083

I did not. Thw D-Sonic is only powering the primary coil. I ordered the Emotiva for mt HT and on a whim decided to insert it into my 2 channel system. The K2 is more powerful than the XPA-5 but I doubt for low freq. that the sound quality would differ. With the 500 plus watt D- Sonic I had to crank the K2 output down because the bass increased significantly.

IMO amplifier quality matters less for low frequency vs. the higher ranges. I thought about a pair of XPA-1 amps for the main coils and that would be quite an improvement over the XPA-5. Agree I wouldn't spend a mint on the second coil amp.
You could try the XPA-1's and it would only cost you shipping....

xpa-1 is a bit too rich for my blood. I am considering an xpa-2 for mains, I like the additional capacitance & bigger power supply. It doubles it's power into 4ohms. You don't see that often these days, probably never at that price point.

#1,216 ·

Quote:

One last question,

Cheers

Craig

paunui,

Stick with the A'Diva 5.1 w/ TR3 package, you won't be disappointed. I currently have an A'Diva 7.1 system and I love it. Plus, unless you are thinking of stainless steel, the package would save you some money.

Laggs

#1,217 ·

Quote:

One last question,

Cheers

Craig

I have A'diva Ti fronts and Micro Ti surrounds/rears. I don't notice the difference watching movies, but I also don't do multichannel music. I'm wanting to replace the fronts with Stradas, so if you're thinking 3 Strada fronts and Micro surrounds instead of A'divas all the way around, I think that would be a stronger setup, especially if you listen to 2-channel music.

#1,224 ·
Some folks locally are selling a pair for a very good price. I'm not an audiophile, at least at this level. I have a new Onkyo SR 707 AV receiver. My speaker system is pretty eclectic with several Norhs (for those familiar with the Norhs) but I've never owned anything of the quality of the Gallos.

I was considering Onix Rockets but when i heard about this pair of Gallos I started rethinking.

Should I go for them or is it overkill for my HT needs.

Dave

#1,225 ·
Just completed listening to the Gallo 5LS'.

Before listening the dealer told me that he had just received them brand new about 9 days ago. Gallo says that these speakers require 200 hours of break-in time. The pair I listened to had about 100 hours on them. Also, the dealer was told by Gallo not to use the SA amp during break-in so that was not on the demo pair.

Upstream the speakers had McIntosh pre-amp and amp, 400 watts. Don't know what the cd player was, did not look familiar.

First of all these speakers are gorgeous. They are like modern versions of Greek columns. I bet Gallo will sell a good number on looks alone. And they certainly are tall but they do have a very small footprint which would make them easy to place.

They were setup about 2 1/2 feet from the front wall, 2 feet off the side wall and about 9 feet across. I believe it would have been better if they were positioned more into the room which would have improved the imaging. I'll talk more about the later. I moved the listening chair to 9 feet from each speaker. The listening room was about 13 feet wide and 20 feet deep.

The first CD I listened to was Yo Yo Ma's unaccompanied Bach cello suites. The first thing that struck me was how the music washed over me. I was totally immersed in the sound of the cello. The flip side of this was a lack on intimacy. It was as if the speakers were overwhelming the sound of the cello. As far as imaging there was no there there. I was totally immersed in sound but I could not hear the cello playing in the middle right in front of me. This may go back to the speaker position issue I wrote about above. As far as tonality the sound was gorgeous.

Next I listened to Bach's violin concertos. Pretty much the same experience as the cello suites but I do have to say that the solo violin playback was beautiful.

Next, Mahler's 5th symphony. This is where the 5LS' really shined. These are big speakers which know how to play big sound. Dynamics were amazing and I actually felt like I was in a concert hall.

Mark Knopfler, The Ragpicker's Dream. Frankly, dissapointing. Mr. Knopler's vocals were buried in the instruments. Again, positioning problem?

U2, No Line on the Horizon. Absolutely stunning! U2's music on these speakers is awesome.

Bottom line for me is that these are big speakers for big sound. I will not get the same playback on U2 or Mahler with my 3.1's as I heard on the 5LS'. But I do get more intimacy with the 3.1's for music that occupies a smaller stage. It is, as always, a trade off. Also, these speakers would probably be more applicable to a large room. This may seem like I am stating the obvious but I have seen people put huge speakers in small listening rooms. I am not sure this is really a good idea.

I know that Gallo checks this site and if they read this review I suggest they give the Cambridge dealer a call and talk to him about experimenting with positioning. Also these speakers were not totally broken in. I know my little 3.1's get better and better over time.

I did put my name on the waiting list for the 3.5's. Those I'll order as soon as they are available.

#1,226 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by davewe /forum/post/17742484

Some folks locally are selling a pair for a very good price. I'm not an audiophile, at least at this level. I have a new Onkyo SR 707 AV receiver. My speaker system is pretty eclectic with several Norhs (for those familiar with the Norhs) but I've never owned anything of the quality of the Gallos.

I was considering Onix Rockets but when i heard about this pair of Gallos I started rethinking.

Should I go for them or is it overkill for my HT needs.

Dave

Hello Dave, the Norhs are interesting speakers, they caught my eye back in the '90s not long after I discovered Gallo speakers. Though I've never had a chance to really hear the Norhs, I do recall they were being demo'd at a show I went to some time ago, but I don't put to much value on auditions in "show" environments.

With that said, I love my Reference 3.1 speakers, and if you've found a good deal on them locally, I suggest going to give them a listen to decide for your self. If you think they'll work for you, by all means get them. If it's a good deal, you shouldn't have any trouble recouping your costs in the future, as once the 3.5s come out at their higher price point, I have a feeling that the 3.1s will easily keep there value if they don't go up.

Best, Barry