Official Anthony Gallo Owners Thread - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #181 of 2982 Old 08-23-2007, 06:37 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm a 3.1 owner and just found this thread. I'm running mine for stereo only (I use a different set of speakers all together for HT). I use an Eastern Electric Minimax pre-amp and an old Forte Model 4 (Nelson Pass design) amp. It sounds very good to me. I'd like to upgrade both amp and pre-amp at some point though but that's just normal audiophile issues.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 2982 Old 08-23-2007, 01:06 PM

Would the Crown or the QSC be an alternative for the SA amp? Both of 'em appear to have a a built-in X-over and gain controls a la the SA......
post #183 of 2982 Old 08-23-2007, 05:24 PM

Hi Guys,
I just got a new amp for my 3.1's, a Butler TBD2250 S.S./Tube hybrid. So far it is an excellent match. The tube section takes away any fatigue I had with previous amps, while maintaining the detail. If you are looking for the prefect amp for the 3.1's, give this one a listen.
Steel
post #184 of 2982 Old 08-23-2007, 08:33 PM

I cannot comment on other amps but my Gallos (ref 3.1 mains, ref av center, ref av surrounds) are powered by a Sunfire TGA-7400 and the sounds is very pleasing.

I have read that the Gallos need a good break-in with a SS amp before powering via tubes, iirc Anthony Gallo himself said this.
post #185 of 2982 Old 08-24-2007, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eRav3r View Post

I have read that the Gallos need a good break-in with a SS amp before powering via tubes, iirc Anthony Gallo himself said this.

I agree with this. Mine took about 100 hours of loud playing before full break in. I used a 250 watt Krell for break in. Most tubes are lower power, best saved for after break in. Not a problem for a hybrid amp to be used for break in, as the tubes are just used at the input stage, and the output is SS.
post #186 of 2982 Old 08-27-2007, 06:56 PM

Glad to see the this thread emerge.

I have a pair of 3.1 refs and have been on the fence about purchasing the ref av center and an updated pair of gallos for the surrounds. I do not have an amp in my setup (currently running the 3.1 from my marantz receiver), but i think it would really help the 3.1 perform to their full potential. Thanks to those who posted amp suggestions..time to do some research.
post #187 of 2982 Old 08-27-2007, 09:04 PM

I don't think the ref av center is anything special. If my setup allowed I would replace it with another 3.1 but alas my Fuji plasma is in the way
post #188 of 2982 Old 08-28-2007, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eRav3r View Post

I don't think the ref av center is anything special. If my setup allowed I would replace it with another 3.1 but alas my Fuji plasma is in the way

E, what do you not like about the A/V center? Is the sound seemless with the 3.1? Thanks.
Steel
post #189 of 2982 Old 08-28-2007, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Likecoiledsteel View Post

Hi Guys,
I just got a new amp for my 3.1's, a Butler TBD2250 S.S./Tube hybrid. So far it is an excellent match. The tube section takes away any fatigue I had with previous amps, while maintaining the detail. If you are looking for the prefect amp for the 3.1's, give this one a listen.
Steel

I just finished reading the review of the pair on 6moons. Looks like an awesome match, albeit slightly expensive! Would love to see pics of your setup and your listening impressions. Also, have you ever thought of mating the 2nd voice coil with something like the PLX1802 or the XTi 1000/2000?
post #190 of 2982 Old 08-28-2007, 08:17 PM

Any updates pre-cedia on the Due replacement rumors?

I am in the process of putting together a small system for TV watching/xbox 360. Going back and forth between A'Diva Ti and Due....but with the Due discontinued, it looks like I will either wait to see what they announce next week at CEDIA, or just go for the A'Divas...maybe I'll call our rep and see if they have any inside info.
post #191 of 2982 Old 08-29-2007, 03:19 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by grubyhalo View Post

I just finished reading the review of the pair on 6moons. Looks like an awesome match, albeit slightly expensive! Would love to see pics of your setup and your listening impressions. Also, have you ever thought of mating the 2nd voice coil with something like the PLX1802 or the XTi 1000/2000?

Pro amps look to be a very good choice for the 2nd voice coil but they have on issue, the fan. If you have a very quiet listening environment I could see this as a issue. I was recently informed that some people have a problem with the fan for the SA amp, and my experience with pro amps tends to put their fans as much louder then that of the SA.

Jared

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-------
post #192 of 2982 Old 08-29-2007, 08:04 PM

Can someone who owns A'Divas with the table stands measure the overall height for me please? I can find no specs regarding how high the stand raises the speaker. Thanks!
post #193 of 2982 Old 08-30-2007, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaara View Post

Pro amps look to be a very good choice for the 2nd voice coil but they have on issue, the fan. If you have a very quiet listening environment I could see this as a issue. I was recently informed that some people have a problem with the fan for the SA amp, and my experience with pro amps tends to put their fans as much louder then that of the SA.

Jared

Thanks for the reply. I understand what you're saying. But at 50% of the price of the SA, the XTi1000 looks very attractive to me. If I do get the Gallos and go the Pro-amp route, I may look at modding the fan or replacing it with a silent one. Anyways that's a long way off, but whatever I do, I'll keep everyone posted. Thanks
post #194 of 2982 Old 08-30-2007, 05:30 PM

Quote:

HI Gruby,
Thanks, my setup is nothing speacial as at the moment all my stuff is in my living room, a terrible room acoutically with tile and vaulted ceilings. I have played with e few ideas for the 2nd voice coils and was going to get the SA amp, but the fan niose issue keeps me away. I hate fans, I would rather get an outboard crossover and a pair of Outlaw monoblocks. It is a never ending cycle. Turn back now
Steel
post #195 of 2982 Old 08-30-2007, 06:37 PM

Quote:

E, what do you not like about the A/V center? Is the sound seemless with the 3.1? Thanks.
Steel

Sorry for the late reply.

The AV center draws a little attention to itself whereas the 3.1s simply disappear. I think it is mostly to do with the horizontal orientation as opposed to the lack of a 10" driver. The av doesn't disperse as well, but that is obviously the comprised horizontal orientation.

It still sounds very good but when you're spoiled by the 3.1s...
post #196 of 2982 Old 08-31-2007, 08:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

HI Gruby,
I have played with e few ideas for the 2nd voice coils and was going to get the SA amp, but the fan niose issue keeps me away. I hate fans, I would rather get an outboard crossover and a pair of Outlaw monoblocks. It is a never ending cycle. Turn back now
Steel

You know, I have never heard the fan on my Gallo SA and it's in an enclosed cabinet. I have my system on most of the day and the SA never even gets very warm.
post #197 of 2982 Old 08-31-2007, 02:00 PM
rlw

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I am an "all-Gallo" owner, so I can speak with some authority here. The Ref 3.1s like to be driven by a high-current amp. They mate up quite well with my Harman/Kardon Signature 2.1 amp. The transition from the Ref 3s to the Dues is almost seamless, this is a very good combination and is substantially less expensive than using Gallo's AV series for Center and Rears. I'm QUITE satisfied with the sound of my system and don't expect to make any changes for many moons...

I have, however, performed two tweaks that improved the sound:

#1 - I installed some resistors across the Sub-In terminals of each speaker. A small, but noticeable, improvement in the bass response was heard. Read all about it here:
http://www.10audio.com/gallo_ref3-1.htm This will cost you about $5-$10 to do.

#2 - I was able to raise the apparent stage height of the image by taking the rear floor protectors (spike cups) and doubling them up in the front. This caused the speakers to tilt back about 10 deg. more than usual. The result was a higher soundstage and the tweak was FREE!

My system:
=========
Harman Kardon Signature 2.0 Preamplifier/Processor
Harman Kardon Signature 2.1 Multi channel amp
Gallo Acoustics Reference 3.1 Speaker
Gallo Acoustics Due Monitor - Center and Rear channels
Earthquake SuperNova MKIV-10B Subwoofer
Alpha-Core Goertz MI-2 Veracity speaker cable
post #198 of 2982 Old 08-31-2007, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlw View Post

#2 - I was able to raise the apparent stage height of the image by taking the rear floor protectors (spike cups) and doubling them up in the front. This caused the speakers to tilt back about 10 deg. more than usual. The result was a higher soundstage and the tweak was FREE!

That was the only thing I was concerned 'bout the Ref.s. Not so much as concern, but was always at the back of my head whenever I looked at the Ref.s seriously. Ofcourse, I was planning to fabricate a wooden platform to raise them, but looks like your method would be a cheaper and more effective way! However, before you actually added the spike-cups to the front, did you perceive a lack of height for the soundstage or was this one of the things that you hit upon accidentally. Ofcourse, I'm imagining this would partly depend on what speakers you had prior to the Ref.s. Also, how are you driving the 2nd voice-coil on the Ref.s?
post #199 of 2982 Old 09-01-2007, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcemanDallas View Post

You know, I have never heard the fan on my Gallo SA and it's in an enclosed cabinet. I have my system on most of the day and the SA never even gets very warm.

I had never heard of the issue before until I was informed about it by a member of another forum. Personally the only time I heard the fan was when I used the bass boost and had the system on at high levels for extended periods. It seems that the bass boost is the thing that triggers the fan, at least from my experience and reading of others.

Quote:

The transition from the Ref 3s to the Dues is almost seamless, this is a very good combination and is substantially less expensive than using Gallo's AV series for Center and Rears.

#1 - I installed some resistors across the Sub-In terminals of each speaker. A small, but noticeable, improvement in the bass response was heard.

#2 - I was able to raise the apparent stage height of the image by taking the rear floor protectors (spike cups) and doubling them up in the front.

RLW, have you tried the Ref Center or AVs or are you just assuming? IMO the Center and AVs are a big step up from the dues, I found the dues a good match to the 3.1s but could tell transitions from the fronts to rears. I switched to 2 centers as surrounds and the transition is much more seamless. They are 2x the price for maybe a 40-50% increase in sound quality, but IMO they are worth it.

1. Have you ever measured the freq response of your speakers to tell if this is just the placebo affect or not? I was reading over at AudioAsylum that some people had tried this and damaged the speakers, others had noticed decreases in sound quality. The author of the review at 10audio was the only one to say he could hear an improvement.

2. I tried something similar to this for a while and found a improvement, but found a bigger one by actually bringing the 3.1s up 12in. This seems like a good tweak but I would be afraid the front would be unstable with the two sets of floor protectors sitting on top of each other. Do you have something to hold them together so they don't slide?

Quote:

Also, how are you driving the 2nd voice-coil on the Ref.s?

He can't be using a amp on the 2nd voice coil, this would cause damage to the amp and the speaker if he was since the resistor is a link between the +/- posts.

On a separate note the best bass I have been able to attain was actually changing my front amps and no longer amping the 2nd voice coil. I use EVS 500M monoblocks, before these I had a slow roll off starting at 35hz, now bass doesn't start rolling off until 21hz.

-------
post #200 of 2982 Old 09-01-2007, 11:42 AM
rlw

"RLW, have you tried the Ref Center or AVs or are you just assuming?... IMO the Center and AVs are a big step up from the dues, I found the dues a good match to the 3.1s but could tell transitions from the fronts to rears."

Just assuming. I would *expect* the AVs to be better than the Dues. But, unfortunately, I cannot afford to purchase them. And, since I snagged the Dues for $400 for the pair (NOT a typo), I've pretty much convinced myself that the sound is good enough . I'm a STRONG proponent of the "good enough" philosophy, especially when money is involved .

"They are 2x the price for maybe a 40-50% increase in sound quality, but IMO they are worth it."

In my case, the AVs would have been 5x as expensive as what I paid for the Dues. Case closed.

"1. Have you ever measured the freq response of your speakers to tell if this is just the placebo affect or not?"

Nope, I simply listened. The effect is not "dramatic", but for the meager investment it is worthwhile. It's that "good enough" thing once again.

"The author of the review at 10audio was the only one to say he could hear an improvement. "

Well, now RLW says the same thing. For a meager $5.00, it's worth trying...

"2. I tried something similar to this for a while and found a improvement, but found a bigger one by actually bringing the 3.1s up 12in."

Here I gotta disagree. Anthony Gallo designed the speakers and settled on their current height. It would have been a simple matter for him to raise them up. In addition, Gallo doesn't offer a stand to raise them up. Maybe Anthony knows what he is doing? Keep in mind that the floor is another boundary (just as the walls and ceiling are) and the Ref 3s are certainly designed to use that boundary for bass reinforcement. Raising them 12" *has* to change that interaction, and I'm betting that the change is not for the better.

"This seems like a good tweak but I would be afraid the front would be unstable with the two sets of floor protectors sitting on top of each other. Do you have something to hold them together so they don't slide?"

They are held together with Scotch tape. Works great. They do not slide whatsoever. Also, the speakers are sitting on wall-to-wall carpet so the spikes are burrowing into that. The speakers are very stable, and much more so than they would be if sitting on 12" boxes. Just *try* my tweak, it doesn't cost a dime, and is easily reversible if you don't like it. Plus, the stands don't look very good if you have the Cherry or Maple bases.

"Also, how are you driving the 2nd voice-coil on the Ref.s? "

I am not driving the 2nd voice coil. I'm using a 10" Earthquake sub for the lowest octave. The Gallo Sub Amp is $900, $700 used. The Earthquake sub cost me all of $275 (new) delivered to my door - "good enough" for me. I'm a cheap bastid ...

-RW-
post #201 of 2982 Old 09-01-2007, 01:24 PM

Quote:

But, unfortunately, I cannot afford to purchase them. And, since I snagged the Dues for $400 for the pair (NOT a typo), I've pretty much convinced myself that the sound is good enough . I'm a STRONG proponent of the "good enough" philosophy, especially when money is involved .

In my case, the AVs would have been 5x as expensive as what I paid for the Dues. Case closed.

Thats fine, I just got the impression from your previous post that the dues were just as good as the AVs or Center. IMO the dues are lacking somewhat in my system and the Centers are overkill, I would prefer something with the same mids and tweeter as the 3.1 but not as large and expensive as the C or AVs.

Quote:

Nope, I simply listened. The effect is not "dramatic", but for the meager investment it is worthwhile. It's that "good enough" thing once again.

Well, now RLW says the same thing. For a meager $5.00, it's worth trying...

As I stated before I personally won't try it as I have found more reports to say it has negative effects, even damaging, then positive ones. Not to mention I have strong bass down to 21hz, so I have no need to amp the 2nd voice coil anymore.
Quote:

Here I gotta disagree. Anthony Gallo designed the speakers and settled on their current height. It would have been a simple matter for him to raise them up. In addition, Gallo doesn't offer a stand to raise them up. Maybe Anthony knows what he is doing? Keep in mind that the floor is another boundary (just as the walls and ceiling are) and the Ref 3s are certainly designed to use that boundary for bass reinforcement. Raising them 12" *has* to change that interaction, and I'm betting that the change is not for the better.

Actually last I checked Gallo endorses the Bright Star Audio IsoRock stands, they make a stand specifically for the Ref series. I have read in reviews that Anthony himself recommends these stands for any users, and also was told this by a Gallo rep when I contacted them about raising my speakers up.

If you can't measure your speakers you can't really tell how your changes will affect them, and aren't really qualified to statements about bass output. I do freq sweeps in order to determine the effect of changes and have spent a very long time getting my system to where it is now. I am happy to say I have ~ +/- 4db from 120hz-20hz with just the Ref 3.1s being powered with the 1st voice coil. Raising the 3.1s up contributed to this flatness, not to mention the benefits to vocals and highs having the tweeter at ear level.

Quote:

They are held together with Scotch tape. Works great. They do not slide whatsoever. Also, the speakers are sitting on wall-to-wall carpet so the spikes are burrowing into that. The speakers are very stable, and much more so than they would be if sitting on 12" boxes. Just *try* my tweak, it doesn't cost a dime, and is easily reversible if you don't like it. Plus, the stands don't look very good if you have the Cherry or Maple bases.

I have tried your tweak, I preferred it to the normal orientation but didn't prefer it to having the speakers 12in up, they also measured much better higher up.

As for stability my speakers are just as stable on their 50lb platforms as they would be on the ground. I agree that if you have any color other then black they would look funny.

-------
post #202 of 2982 Old 09-01-2007, 03:21 PM
rlw

Sorry, Gruby, I forgot to answer all your questions.

"However, before you actually added the spike-cups to the front, did you perceive a lack of height for the soundstage or was this one of the things that you hit upon accidentally."

I didn't really notice the height of the soundstage so much because of the way I have my speakers situated. I really don't worry about the stage heeight unless it's ridiculously short. Keep in mind, at many concerts you are sitting higher than the stage, that never seemed to bother me then...

But, I read of others carping about it so I figgered, what the hey, maybe I can do something to remedy that in stereo mode. The spike cups looked like a good idea so I tried 'em. It did raise the image a bit, and the further back you sit the more apparent it is. I'm about 11' from my speakers and they're about 8' apart with a Due slightly behind them and above them by 2'.

Having the Due elevated definitely helps to raise the soundstage on multi-channel recordings and when I pipe the stereo signal thru one of the matrix modes that the H/K has. Here is a link to some pics and description of my system:

http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr...159811970&view

"Of course, I'm imagining this would partly depend on what speakers you had prior to the Ref.s."

I had Paradigm Studio 80s before the Gallos. I used a Paradigm CC-350 for the Center and some Infinity bookshlef speakers for my surrounds. Sounded pretty good, but not nearly as cohesive as the Gallo setup is now.

-RW-
post #203 of 2982 Old 09-01-2007, 03:32 PM
rlw

Hey Gaara!

"Actually last I checked Gallo endorses the Bright Star Audio IsoRock stands, they make a stand specifically for the Ref series. I have read in reviews that Anthony himself recommends these stands for any users, and also was told this by a Gallo rep when I contacted them about raising my speakers up."

Okay, that's cool. If I were to get stands, I'd probably go with SteinAudio's version, much cheaper. The BrightStars are a bit spendy for me. Nice looking if you have black bases.

"If you can't measure your speakers you can't really tell how your changes will affect them, and aren't really qualified to statements about bass output. "

Not being able to measure does NOT mean not being able to determine the effect of changes. I may not be able to specifically quantify those changes, but I can, and do, detect them and their effects. It's not too hard to tell when a system is boomy or muddy. And this ain't exactly my first rodeo, I've been involved with high-quality systems for well over 30 years and I used to sell high-end gear for several years. I have done a LOT of listening and fiddling with systems in my day...

"I do freq sweeps in order to determine the effect of changes and have spent a very long time getting my system to where it is now. I am happy to say I have ~ +/- 4db from 120hz-20hz with just the Ref 3.1s being powered with the 1st voice coil."

That is terrific performance for only driving the 1st voice coil, and I'll bet it sounds pretty darn good. You should be proud, I know I would be. You should be scouring the cutout bins for pipe organ music !!

"Raising the 3.1s up contributed to this flatness, not to mention the benefits to vocals and highs having the tweeter at ear level."

In my room, with my seating, it didn't help as much. I was able to get by using the doubled up cups up front. Much cheaper [smile]...

-RW-
post #204 of 2982 Old 09-01-2007, 05:03 PM

Quote:

I am an "all-Gallo" owner, so I can speak with some authority here.

Quote:

"RLW, have you tried the Ref Center or AVs or are you just assuming?... IMO the Center and AVs are a big step up from the dues, I found the dues a good match to the 3.1s but could tell transitions from the fronts to rears."

Just assuming. I would *expect* the AVs to be better than the Dues. But, unfortunately, I cannot afford to purchase them.

-RW-

Not be be rude but please don't say you speak with authority when you have not even listened to the reference range (AVs). You'll only make it harder for those looking for -informed- opinions.

I myself own 3.1s + AVs and overall it sounds great, however I have not heard the dues so no comment there. I'm probably going to get two Adiva Ti's for surround back duties. Would anyone advise against this?

I am also considering a sub-amp but is that a complete waste when I have a 10" Velodyne sub?

Cheers.
post #205 of 2982 Old 09-01-2007, 07:49 PM

Thanks RLW

eRav3r, how ' bout picking up a decent pro-amp for cheap and see how it matches and if you perceive any worthwhile change?
post #206 of 2982 Old 09-01-2007, 07:56 PM

Quote:

Here is a link to some pics and description of my system:

http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr...159811970&view

Nice setup, you have there And, I see that you are a Grateful Dead fan too!
post #207 of 2982 Old 09-01-2007, 09:34 PM
KKM

I've had the Dues for center duty with my 3.1's for about 6 months then bought the AV center. They are night and day differences. While they're both Gallo badges, that's where the similarities end. The drivers and the tweeter are different, even the 3.1's mid driver are on their 2nd iteration. The 3.1 development started with a clean slate so they were not going to voice it with any of their existing models. The similarities with the enclosure does help with the ambience and sounstage.

The Due's sounded thin and the AV center are a seamless match. Having the same drivers goes a long way in integrating the frontal sound impact.

If you are using the Due's as a center, if it's not set up vertically, you might want to try it, instead of the more eye pleasing horizontal position, this takes advantage of the CDT's ability to throw a larger sweet spot and eliminates the ceiling and floor sound interactions.
post #208 of 2982 Old 09-02-2007, 03:44 AM

I've moved my set up around a little bit since I last posted. I was originally going to have a full Gallo surround system, but after a bad experience with an ebay seller when purchasing the Ref Center and A'Diva Tis, along with the incredibly high price of both of those speakers, I moved the Gallos to a stereo setup with an Onix SP3 tube amp and Music Hall MMF-7 turntable and they sound great.
For surround I'm going with 5 Onix Reference .5s and using my SVS SB12+ sub. That's only $500 or so for the 5 speakers and the sound is definitely "good enough" for the money. Maybe if Gallo releases a smaller monitor using the same mid-section of the Ref 3s (2 balls and a cdt) I would consider going back to them for surround, but right now I'm happy with the setup.

To Gallos credit, they were definitely helpful when I had a problem with one of my speakers, but something always seems off when I'm dealing with normal companies. I greatly prefer the type of service that internet direct companies offer (Orb Audio, AV123, Axiom, etc)
post #209 of 2982 Old 09-02-2007, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnzoPolotso View Post

To Gallos credit, they were definitely helpful when I had a problem with one of my speakers, but something always seems off when I'm dealing with normal companies. I greatly prefer the type of service that internet direct companies offer (Orb Audio, AV123, Axiom, etc)

Yup, I totally agree. I've heard good things 'bout Gallo's service but by and large the Internet Direct companies seem to have the best customer service I've seen.
post #210 of 2982 Old 09-04-2007, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiophiliac View Post

Can someone who owns A'Divas with the table stands measure the overall height for me please? I can find no specs regarding how high the stand raises the speaker. Thanks!

The Micro stands are just under 3.5" tall. I think they're the same size for the A'divas. So, 3.5" plus 2.5" (half of A'diva) is about 6" tall. However, the threads on the back of the A'diva are not centered in the middle of the plate since it shares space with the binding posts, so it can vary the height depending on orientation. I measured the Micros at the highest, which are 6" tall, so the A'diva should be a max of 6.5" tall.
Reply Speakers

Tags
Anthony Gallo Acoustics , Anthony Gallo Acoustics Tr 3d , Anthony Gallo Acoustics Nucleus Reference 3 5 , Yamaha , Sony , Pioneer Elite , Pioneer Elite 49 Txi Receiver

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page