Official Anthony Gallo Owners Thread - Page 77 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #2281 of 2984 Old 01-17-2012, 11:09 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
How is TR3 sub for movies, with Stradas? Have no doubt, that it is great for music.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2282 of 2984 Old 01-17-2012, 11:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I use it for movies, and found it awesome, when up in my living-room but only adequate in my media-room. My media-room seems to eat bass though so it's no fault of the sub. When I was using it in my living-room system the LFE was very tactile, really felt the rumbles. In my media-room, in the basement, the bass isn't felt nearly as much. I think it's due to fairly flexible walls and a concrete slab floor. In the Dining-room above the media-room the bass is felt in the floor when I'm watching movies down stairs, so it's got the output, I think the low frequencies just get absorbed in my media room.

So much media, so little time...

post #2283 of 2984 Old 01-17-2012, 09:44 PM

Does anyone have any feedback on the new Classico series. I am trying to decide between the Strada or the Classico III.

Thanks
post #2284 of 2984 Old 01-18-2012, 07:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ihcman View Post

Does anyone have any feedback on the new Classico series. I am trying to decide between the Strada or the Classico III.

Thanks

Apples and Oranges really... The Strada are small speakers that really need a sub to be considered full-range, the Classico III is a full-range compact floor-standing speaker.

I feel the Reference series speakers have just a little bit more transparency than the Classico series speakers, and the Classico series speakers offer more warmth. Both offer that great "Gallo" sound-stage, and I'd be very happy with either, but since I had my References before the Classicos were available, I'll be sticking with them. You should really try to give them a listen for yourself to decide

post #2285 of 2984 Old 01-19-2012, 08:23 AM
Advanced Member

Chris Martins had some nice things to say about the production Classico speakers he heard at CES 2012...

http://www.avguide.com/blog/anthony-...ady-prime-time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Martens for avguide.com View Post

At CES 2012 I took the opportunity to listen to the final production versions of Anthony Gallo's Classico-series speakers, and my first though upon hearing them was that they appear to have fulfilled all the sonic promise I heard from the pre-production prototypes I first sampled about a year ago. This is a bigger deal than you might think, given that it is all too easy for certain amounts of sonic goodness to get lost in translation between the prototype and production stage; happily, that didn't happen here.

The Classico models represent Gallo's attempt to build speakers that are at least somewhat more conventionally styled than many of his past modelsmodels that have a certain high tech/space age design flare that many find very attractive, but that doesn't fit all tastes or household design schemes. The thought (hope, really) is that the Classicos will appeal where previous Gallo models have not.

But, if the look of the Classicos is conventional, their sound (and underlying technology) certainly is not. I'll be reviewing the Classico system soon for both The Absolute Sound and for Playback/The Perfect Vision, so I don't want to give too much away here, but suffice it to say that these comparatively compact speakers produces a bigger, deeper, more focused and more spacious sound than you might ever expectjudging purely by first (visual) impressions. Stay tuned for more.

post #2286 of 2984 Old 02-07-2012, 05:07 PM

Liked: 17
Can someone please tell me what the center reference strada measures when on it's table top stand? Thanks.
post #2287 of 2984 Old 02-07-2012, 05:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhoff01 View Post

Can someone please tell me what the center reference strada measures when on it's table top stand? Thanks.

It's about 7" tall when pointing straight ahead, and a bit under 8" when angled up, the width is 13.5".

post #2288 of 2984 Old 02-07-2012, 06:14 PM

Thanks,
post #2289 of 2984 Old 02-11-2012, 03:00 PM

Just wondering what s the general consensus about subwoofer to use with the strada, do they really benefit from the tr3 or can be used with any quality subs
I would like in wall subs such as the paradigm or bg radia in order to keep the clean line of the room.
Thanks in advance
John
post #2290 of 2984 Old 02-13-2012, 08:52 AM
Advanced Member

The TR-3 does mate well with the Strada, it was designed to do so
But any quality sub, with good speed and musicality, should also do well.

post #2291 of 2984 Old 02-13-2012, 11:18 AM

Im waiting on TR-D now, and will see if it is beter than Velodyne Spl ultra. Maybe Velodyne will stay for movies.

Can somebody tell me, if it is difference betwen 3.5 and Strada with two subs TR3? I want info from usere here, not a review.
post #2292 of 2984 Old 02-14-2012, 06:36 AM

My 5 Ref Stradas arrived yesterday. I'll be using these in an HT setup with a B&W ASW CDM sub, a Sherbourn 5/1500A 200wpc amp and an Anthem Statement D2v. The amp is subject to upgrade.

Question regarding placement of the front L/R. Both are hanging on a wall less than 1 foot away from the nearest side wall (i.e., close to a corner placement). They look great, but I'm starting to think that the tweeter may need more room.

Does anyone familiar with the Stradas know whether they benefit from more space? And how much toe in is recommended?

Thanks,

David
post #2293 of 2984 Old 02-14-2012, 08:23 AM
Advanced Member

The near corner placement will help with the bass response from the speaker, but for best sound-staging and imaging, placement on a stand well away from walls is best. I'd recommend adding some diffusion panels on the walls near the speakers, you'll keep the bass reinforcement and it'll help improve the sound-stage and imaging.

Because of their wide dispersion, they don't need a lot of toe-in, but depending on placement, a little could/should be used.

post #2294 of 2984 Old 02-14-2012, 12:20 PM

Thanks. I assumed they did not need toe in for the same reasons, but oddly the diagram provided by Gallo has them fully angled to the listening spot, which I thought was very odd.
post #2295 of 2984 Old 02-15-2012, 03:50 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hi,

I own a fantastic Ref 3.5... great speakers and worth every dollar paid..... I use them with an Audioquest Gibraltar cable but I´m wondering if the Gallo OPT cable can bring some improvements... I do not want to start a debate about cables but I´m curious if I´m missing something...
post #2296 of 2984 Old 02-15-2012, 05:35 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 41
I took AG Reference OPT speaker cables two months after initial purchase of the speakers. Before that I had Nordost Superflatline which went to my secondary system now. I bought them coz of one reason as I wanted to put speaker cables a bit out of the equation and optmise my Hi-Fi system a bit differently.
I now treat AG speaker cables and AG speakers as one component. For the info: AG Reference OPT speaker cables were developed by Chris Sommovigo and tasted and extensively used by Anthony Gallo.

best, d.
post #2297 of 2984 Old 02-17-2012, 05:34 AM

Hi nuck, hi all,

once upon a time I saw a video of this nuck's system playing somewhere. Please see the attached link to the post. CLICK. System is consisted from Anthony Gallo 3.1 speakers, McIntosh MC204 and Anthony Gallo sub amps.

The most logical it would be that it was on this forum. I don't know if nuck is still active so I pose this question also to others as I'm unable to trace this video.

thanks for helping hand,
best, d.
post #2298 of 2984 Old 02-17-2012, 11:33 AM
Advanced Member

Well I took a look at Nuck's profile, and he hasen't logged in here in nearly a year. But if you send him a PM he may get an email notification and respond.

post #2299 of 2984 Old 02-17-2012, 02:09 PM

Hi all,
Thanks for the advice about the subs. I know the tr3 was design to work with the strada but not too sure about the sage of it as it s got to fit in with the living room decor and I think that a standard shaped will blend in a bit better.
I was thinking of getting two Martin Logan grotto I to place in the corners.

Is anybody using the strada with either the Shelf stand and wall mount? I want to know their overall depth with either as I will either have the 3strada on shelf stands or wall mount but can t find any dimensions on them once speakers are attached to them. I have a wall niche/cavity which is 200mm deep and where i was hoping to put the stradas. I am hoping that the shelf stand will fit on the 200mm ledge and have a bit of the strada sticking out.
Sincerely yours
John
post #2300 of 2984 Old 02-20-2012, 06:08 PM

Im new to any forum. Im from Australia and just purchased the Anthony Gallo 5 Diva Ti and TR-3 Subwoofer surround sound system. I also just purchased a Denon AVR - 2312 reciever to run the system.

My Denon reciever has 1 x rca connection for subwoofer. When I look at the back of the TR-3 subwoofer I dont seem to find the right connection for the subwoofer. I can only assume its either the "in or out line". If it is which line do I connect and do I use a Y-cable connector or just a single connector.
post #2301 of 2984 Old 02-20-2012, 06:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by patuna13 View Post

Im new to any forum. Im from Australia and just purchased the Anthony Gallo 5 Diva Ti and TR-3 Subwoofer surround sound system. I also just purchased a Denon AVR - 2312 reciever to run the system.

My Denon reciever has 1 x rca connection for subwoofer. When I look at the back of the TR-3 subwoofer I dont seem to find the right connection for the subwoofer. I can only assume its either the "in or out line". If it is which line do I connect and do I use a Y-cable connector or just a single connector.

Just put the interconnect into the "Right In" jack.

post #2302 of 2984 Old 02-24-2012, 05:02 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I'm looking for a new 2.1 speaker setup.

My dealer will let me audition two Micro's and two Diva's, with a TR-1 sub, tomorrow.

I will test them with my current receiver, an Anthem MRX 700.

I'm looking to sell it and replace it with something less expensive, would ie. an Onkyo 608 be a good match with the Gallo's?

Also, when I look for reviews of the Micro's and Diva's, they are from 2006, 2007 etc. Have new and improved versions of the speakers not come out since then?

I mean, if I buy them now are they exactly the same as those from several years ago?

Thanks,

/Martin
post #2303 of 2984 Old 02-24-2012, 04:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryecohen View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by patuna13 View Post

Im new to any forum. Im from Australia and just purchased the Anthony Gallo 5 Diva Ti and TR-3 Subwoofer surround sound system. I also just purchased a Denon AVR – 2312 reciever to run the system.

Just put the interconnect into the "Right In" jack.

My bad, when only one input is used, it should go into the "Left In" jack. Sorry for the confusion

post #2304 of 2984 Old 02-24-2012, 06:18 PM

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by eRav3r View Post

Gallo advises that the centre channel's dispersion is intentionally limited to ~120 degrees for dialogue coherence.

I love my ref 3s I've had since 2004, but honestly sometimes I have to roll my eyes at some of the techno hyperbole that is put out by manufacturers. Stop and think about this statement for a minute. Why would coherence from the CDTs be important for voice in the CC application but not for any musical signals of the same frequencies in the other configurations? The dispersion that is not limited to 120* in the other applications of this tweeter doesn't seem to be a problem with voice or music in those applications!

Do we think the 120* dispersion might have more to do with the geometry of the CDT and the mid enclosures in the horizontal layout of the MTM and the fact that many people who buy CC speakers have very limited vertical space to fit them in?
post #2305 of 2984 Old 02-24-2012, 08:25 PM

Liked: 20
For those who've been fortunate enough to hear the 5LS's....I'm looking at upgrading my 3.0s to 3.5s or possibly 5 LS's. I've read several of the reviews some have posted here on the 5LS's. Unfortunately I don't have a dealer near me. I'm curious how you think the 5LS's would work if the MLP was ~ 10-12 feet from the speakers, with the speakers separated ~8 feet and 3-4 feet away from rear and side walls. It's in a room of about 3200 cubic feet that is L shaped.
post #2306 of 2984 Old 02-25-2012, 08:30 PM
Advanced Member

I can't say how they'll work for you in your room, but that arangement should work just fine for the 5LS. The drivers are relativly small and close together, so you don't need a large distance from the speaker for the sound to become cohesive as you would with some other large speakers. I was blown away by the sound presented by the 5LS, but I couldn't afford them... Maybe when my kids are out of college...

post #2307 of 2984 Old 02-25-2012, 08:34 PM
Advanced Member

As far as the 3.5s go, they'll be far more live and dynamic sounding than your 3.0s. I never owned the 3.0, but going from the 3.1 to the 3.5 was a huge upgrade and well worth it to me.

post #2308 of 2984 Old 03-01-2012, 10:59 AM

First thanks to the moderator who removed all the un-necessary posts. With this I want to go back to the point where I asked about Nuck's video which I once saw somewhere but could not locate it again. Anyway PhilMcC's thinking on this forum helped me a bit as it triggered some new paths and ideas for exploring so I dig myself deep inside the Internet and I managed to reach mr. nuck on some totally another forum. Reson how I found him was his wooden plynths that he uses for his speakers. Mr. Nuck was so kind to offer me a link and a look insight into his system that was by that time consisted from McIntosh MA6900 and Anthony Gallo 3.1 speakers + AG Sub Amp. Here is the link of the video. Click. Thanks nuck!

best, del.
post #2309 of 2984 Old 03-01-2012, 11:12 AM
Advanced Member

Yeah, I got a bit tired of Phil's trolling, and reported him to the moderators this AM

post #2310 of 2984 Old 03-01-2012, 11:24 AM
Advanced Member

Well being on YouTube got me curious, check this out...

http://www.youtube.com/user/soundsho...query=question

Reply Speakers

Tags
Anthony Gallo Acoustics , Anthony Gallo Acoustics Tr 3d , Anthony Gallo Acoustics Nucleus Reference 3 5 , Yamaha , Sony , Pioneer Elite , Pioneer Elite 49 Txi Receiver

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page