Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #2341 of 2982 Old 05-10-2012, 11:20 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Excellent! I look forward to reading your impressions of them, I highly doubt you'll be dissapointed. Must say, I'm a bit jellous...

So much media, so little time...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2342 of 2982 Old 05-10-2012, 11:28 AM

Liked: 10
Well, I assume that you know who to call if you want a pair at a good price.
post #2343 of 2982 Old 05-10-2012, 11:38 AM
Advanced Member

Ha ha! Well yes, but they're still out of my price range... Maybe after my kids are out of college, and I no longer feel the need to save for retirement and all that

post #2344 of 2982 Old 05-11-2012, 04:31 PM

Liked: 11
Hello everyone!

My name is Micah Warren and I'm the publicist for AGA (Anthony Gallo Acoustics). Presently, Anthony is doing some market research and would love to get feedback from other AGA owners. So if you have 10 minutes to spare and you are interested in talking directly to the designer about your system including opinions, concerns, and/or any suggestions you may have,
then please email me at micah@largemediainc.com and I will set up your conference with Anthony.

Thanks a ton and we look forward to hearing from you!

Also, if you haven't joined us on Facebook, please do so. We'd love to have you. I know, I know, I'm being an annoying PR guy, but I have to (they won't let me post the link because I haven't posted enough yet).
post #2345 of 2982 Old 05-11-2012, 06:42 PM
Advanced Member

Here's the link for the FB page...

http://www.facebook.com/AnthonyGalloAcoustics

post #2346 of 2982 Old 05-17-2012, 11:25 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Just picked up a pair of the Nucleus Reference 3.5's. Although I bought it used, it's brand new in the box, so I have to break 'em in first. The manual suggests 100 hours for break-in. I live in an apartment, where I can't really crank them up. Does playing at low volumes double or triple the amount of break-in time?

I'm also using tube amps where I'm not comfortable leaving them on when I leave my home. I may hook up a solid state amp for the meantime so I can keep them on when I'm not home.

Can't wait to really hear their potential. I'm not impressed so far, but I'll reserve judgement until they're broken in. But for those with experience with these speakers, does the sound get materially better once broken in?

Oppo BDP-105 Blu-Ray
Spectron Premiere MKII 7 Channel Class D Amp (500w x 7)
2 Anthony Gallo Reference SA Amps
5 Anthony Gallo Reference 3.5 Speakers
Sunfire Super JR Subwoofer
Sony Z2 Series laptop as dedicated HTPC
post #2347 of 2982 Old 05-18-2012, 05:21 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
The speakers will sound very much in relation what your other components are.
What is your?

- amplifier
- speaker cables
- interconnects
- CD or DAC

I achieved a very good sound with these speakers and I'm very satisfied with them. I listened to some other systems much more expensive than mine but still they lack something that Gallo has and portraying. AG Ref 3.5 are a keeper and next thing I will upgrade is integrated amplifier as Gallo still offers more and I know that. Soon I will add friend's Gryphon Tabu to test it for a few days.

My current system consists from these components:

Anthony Gallo Reference 3.5
Musical Fidelity A308 Dual Mono
Musical Fidelity Nuvista CD Player
Anthony Gallo OPT Reference speaker wires
Cardas Golden Cross ICs on CDP
Powercord 1: Tempoelectric + Oyaide P-004e C-079 on Amp
Powercord 2: Tempoelectric + Oyaide P-079e C-079 on CDP
Powercord 3: Lapp Cable 3x + Oyaide P-046e C-046 on Marantz SR-6003 A/V Receiver
Powercord 4: Tempoelectric + Oyaide P-079e C-079 on HTPC
Wall socket: Furutech FT-SWS(R)
REL B2 (Crossover currently set at 30Hz)
HTPC with ASUS Xonar STX sound card (for internet radio streaming)
Oyaide Across 750 RR on Asus Xonar STX
Speakers are set on custom made granite playnths each is 5cm high and weight of one plynth is the same as single speaker I think .

Also dimensions and shape of your place is very much important. Placement is also very important. I found that speakers sounds best if they are at least 3m apart in order to achieve best musical representation. By this I mean fluid and non-aggressive which you can listen for hours. Also usual MP3 now sound superb on this configuration. But there is still potential with the amp I believe, so someday....

best, d.
post #2348 of 2982 Old 05-18-2012, 11:53 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
d, thanks for the response. I left out a lot of details about my system because I didn't want to go into full evaluation mode without properly breaking in the speakers first. I was wondering about other people's experiences before and after the break-in period and how materially the sound improved.

I sold my Sonus Faber Grand piano's (Domus series) and bought the Gallo 3.5's based on the reviews. I just needed a change. Way too early to tell as I've only had the Gallo's for just a few days and still in the break-in process. But my initial reaction was one of disappointment. But that could change.

I change systems frequently (although I had the Sonus Faber's for 2 years). Currently, I have a McIntosh C41 pre-amp, two Audio research M100 tube mono blocks (rated at 100w/ch), VPI Junior turntable, and Oppo BDP 93 and Marantz UD-8004 Blu-Ray/SACD/DVD-A players for source. I personally don't believe in high-end expensive cables, so I'm using regular cables (not cheapies, but decent quality ones).

The one thing I initially like about the 3.5's is their bass. In my small apartment, my seating position never gets any bass. I know I need room treatments. To overcome this situation, I have a small Sunfire Junior subwoofer behind the couch crossed over at 50hz. I currently have the sub disconnected to just evaluate the 3.5's. I'm impressed that I now have good bass in my seating position without a sub!

The disapointment comes from the highs and mids. I feel the highs are too bright and harsh. There is no good separation of the highs and mids, they sound jumbled up (as if there isn't a good transition for a lack of better words).

Again, I just wanted to see what other people's reactions were when they first opened the box and listened to it as compared to when it was broken-in.

Oppo BDP-105 Blu-Ray
Spectron Premiere MKII 7 Channel Class D Amp (500w x 7)
2 Anthony Gallo Reference SA Amps
5 Anthony Gallo Reference 3.5 Speakers
Sunfire Super JR Subwoofer
Sony Z2 Series laptop as dedicated HTPC
post #2349 of 2982 Old 05-18-2012, 02:26 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
^^^^^
I have both 3.0s and 3.5s, coming from a pair of Carver Amazing platinums which are large, full range panel ribbon speakers when I got the 3.0s in late 2004.

My initial impressions were opposite of yours. I thought the 3.0s were thin in the bass. But I have always been impressed with the 3.0/3.5s almost electrostatic sound from a couple hundred Hertz up. I have never had any impressions of garbled mids & highs or overly hot highs, though the ribbon tweeters are very revealing. Also, if you have avery live room, since the tweeters put out a 180* pattern, they put out more treble energy into the listening room than speakers with conventional tweeters. So maybe you're hearing reflections from sidewalls. I've always had mine in a heavily damped room so that hasnever been noticable to me.

When I had the 3.0s I always ran them with a sub so my perception of them being weak in the low bass became a non-issue. I do think the 3.5s are considerably improved with their bass response.

I would look at my upstream components and posssibly look for potential damage to one of the M/T drivers if you continue to be bothered by their sound.

Also, I would not expect the character of the M/Ts to change with break-in, only that of the woofers.
post #2350 of 2982 Old 05-18-2012, 03:21 PM

Hello,

my observation when I first opened the box was that I was taken away by the imaging and how 3D stage emerged in front of me. I was first a bit disappointed with the bass area so it was completely opposite to your observation. I tried many positions and after some time the thing become better. Ok I also tweaked my whole system. Cardas Golden Cross ICs gave meat to the music and I think that they are a blessing for such reveling speakers. I also bought AG speaker wires which did not have such drastic impact as ICs but still now I do not look anywhere else for speaker wires as I treat this now as part of the speakers (before I had Nordost Superflatline Gold MKII). I experimented also with the 15 ohm resistor on the sub input of the speakers. Maybe a little bit more bass with this tweak was identified but not such significant tweak I would say. I also played a bit with power cords that I did myself with good quality components (Tempoelectric + Oyaide). This gave me more fluidity and more quiet background. Bought custom made plynths and played with different kind of positions. As said before position of the speakers is crucial and now I have them 290cm apart from each other and same distance from the listening position so they are forming equilateral triangle. Before that I have them closer together and closer to listening position and I think they sound a bit to aggressive and into the face. Now with new wider placement the music is just happening in much wider area and music is more listenable on the longer run. It is like music is not coming from the speakers at all but from all over the room and also the depth is great. My room is sucking a bass pretty well I think so that's why I decided for REL B2 sub and I managed to integrate it also very good. This is my last addition to the system so I'm still playing with different settings. Just now I set the crossover to 28Hz. I dont know what REL does but music became even more fluid. Music now has meat, it has proper bass now, transient attack is great. But still know that I can achieve something better with better amps... but from this system here I also know that a huge financial jump is needed. So I'm planing this for better times as now I'm very satisfied with the music that Gallo give out.
Between the lines I listened friend's Sonus Faber Electa Amator II on Gryphon Tabu and Gryphon CDP1 and Cardas cords. Gryphon Tabu gives something special to music as I tried it already on my previous speakers Canton Vento. That's why I wanna try also Gryhon with Gallo's. To compare the two system I would say that in transparency, music presentation, imaging, also bass there is no chance that I would exchange my system for his system. Just now I'm writing this on my HTPC, listening Radio Paradise streaming station and I have to say that even regular MP3 format sounds great. Before I could not say that.

cau, d.
post #2351 of 2982 Old 05-19-2012, 02:43 AM

Hiya guys,
need to report one very good experience I had today. I ordered second hand Cardas Golden Cross speaker cables 2x3m (bi-wire) for my friend who will use them in his system. But before giving these cables to him I tried them in my system. What a great presentation of music. I never had such analog sound from all digital sources as today. Really enjoyable, this combination I have now I can listen and listen. It is a bit on a warm side but I like that. Voices are fantastic. No spitting sounds at all, also on the most problematic songs. I can listen good and bad recordings, everything sounds just simply wonderful. Cables give additional meat, weight, they are sweet and they round high frequencies a bit. This is how I would describe a character of these fine cables: as young, sweet, smooth, busty woman.

I think Anthony Gallo Ref. 3.5 simply love these cables and I would highly recommend them without a single doubt.

best, d.
post #2352 of 2982 Old 05-19-2012, 09:38 AM

Out of curiosity...has anyone ever looked into bi- or tri-amping 3.X's?

I'm not talking about using the terminals for the 2nd VC on the woofer, I mean no kidding, straight-to-the-driver bi/tri-amping.

Several things come to mind:

How hard is it to get at the existing driver terminals?

Since there is no crossover between the M & T, how are they wired? I think there's a transformer in series with the tweeter but that's all I know.

What would be a natural crossover freq between the M&T?

Could you simply reuse the existing 2nd voice coil for the woofer and disconnect the one that's interfaced with the existing crossover network? IOW, are the two VCs identical?

Any thoughts on suitable power levels for the M&T?

Is anyone aware of this having been tried?

My assumption is the wiring is something like shown in attached image.
LL
post #2353 of 2982 Old 05-19-2012, 12:59 PM

Hi, I don't know much and would hard to say antything but sure it is an interesting question. I just know that Srajan Ebaen from 6moons while reviewing AG Ref. 3.5 published a schematics of the crossover. Here it is.

best, d.

Source: 6moons
post #2354 of 2982 Old 05-19-2012, 02:18 PM

Thanks, that's basically the same thing I had except the mids are in series and there's a choke in the return leg which I didn't show.

Electrically it looks like a simple thing to do but I bet you would have to disassemble the the whole thing to tri-amp (to isolate the circuit across the tweeter/xformer). To bi-amp you'd just need to isolate the woofer main leads from across the caps, remove the choke and then bypass the caps (no pun intended) to get to the MTM. Feasibility for either would be very dependent on how the various components and "spine" are fastened. If glued it would be a major PITA.

Don't think it would be worth it to bi-amp since my main interest would be providing electrical isolation between the Ms and T that does not exist in the basic design.
post #2355 of 2982 Old 05-22-2012, 09:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ_777 View Post

Feasibility for either would be very dependent on how the various components and "spine" are fastened. If glued it would be a major PITA.

Having been personally involved in my 3.1 to 3.5 upgrade procedure, I can tell you there is no glue involved, but it's still a major PITA, and some of the allen screws have specific torque specs.

post #2356 of 2982 Old 05-23-2012, 01:44 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Sorry I am completely new to this thread and also to Gallo speakers but heard the 3.5's by chance at a demo which was actually meant to demonstrate a preamp. Now I liked there sound a lot but the pricetag (especially here in Europe) is a little bit too high for me. The salesman offered my secnd hand 3.1's which he recieved back from a customer who upgraded. As I do home cinema only I was just wondering for your suggestion of going for the 3.1? How do they perform in comparison to a run-in 3.5 and how we your long run experience with the 3.1? Is anyone using them in a home theatre environment.? Thanks for your advice!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #2357 of 2982 Old 05-23-2012, 06:17 AM

I heard 3.1 prior I bought new 3.5. And I was then decided that Anthony Gallo makes wonderful speakers. With a listening session of 3.1 I decided to pull a trigger on the 3.5 (3.1 were already discontinued at that time). AG Ref. 3.1 are also very good speakers and will give you a lot what 3.5 offers. But still there are new technologies implemented in 3.5 that makes them better with a high price tag. Here on this forum there are also owners of the both models and they can say much more than me. I think if the price is good for 3.1 I would recommend them for sure as they are sure very good speakers.
best, D.
post #2358 of 2982 Old 05-25-2012, 07:08 AM

I have been dealing with an issue for months and cannot seem to find a fix or anyone else who has had this issue. I am getting some serious distortion using my Gallo SA amp using the RCA inputs from Squeezebox Touchs analogue outputs. Has anyone had this issue or know what the problem is? I leave the Squeezebox volume at 100% to retain all digital data and have never had an issue with any other amplifier I have used in the past.

Any ideas?
post #2359 of 2982 Old 05-25-2012, 08:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vedder323 View Post

I have been dealing with an issue for months and cannot seem to find a fix or anyone else who has had this issue. I am getting some serious distortion using my Gallo SA amp using the RCA inputs from Squeezebox Touchs analogue outputs. Has anyone had this issue or know what the problem is? I leave the Squeezebox volume at 100% to retain all digital data and have never had an issue with any other amplifier I have used in the past.

Any ideas?

While I doubt your Squeezebox is over driving the SA, have you tried lowering the output of the Squeezebox to see if it eliminates the distortion? Do you get similar distortion when using a different line-level source with the SA?

post #2360 of 2982 Old 05-25-2012, 08:19 AM
Advanced Member

Another thought, are you driving the SA in series or parallel with another amp? Maybe your Squeezebox can't handle driving two amplifiers(?)

post #2361 of 2982 Old 05-25-2012, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryecohen View Post

While I doubt your Squeezebox is over driving the SA, have you tried lowering the output of the Squeezebox to see if it eliminates the distortion? Do you get similar distortion when using a different line-level source with the SA?

Yes, if I lower the volume on the Squeezebox, it does remove the distortion. I have tried a CD player and it also caused distortion on the SA amp. I have the squeezebox going straight to a McCormack ALD 1 preamp which has 2 outputs, 1 going to my poweramp and 1 going to the SA
post #2362 of 2982 Old 05-25-2012, 02:33 PM

Quote:

Having been personally involved in my 3.1 to 3.5 upgrade procedure, I can tell you there is no glue involved, but it's still a major PITA, and some of the allen screws have specific torque specs.

Out of curiosity, how long did it take you to disassemble/reassemble?
post #2363 of 2982 Old 05-25-2012, 04:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes, if I lower the volume on the Squeezebox, it does remove the distortion. I have tried a CD player and it also caused distortion on the SA amp. I have the squeezebox going straight to a McCormack ALD 1 preamp which has 2 outputs, 1 going to my poweramp and 1 going to the SA

Drop the L&R input cables at the back of the power amp and the SA and switch each to the other amp. If the distortion problem doesn't move to your main power amp then you know you have a problem with the SA. If it does move your problem is with the preamp or the cables. Also make sure you haven't inadvertantly moved the switch on the back of the SA to full range.

If you try the above without success, you can also run a second set of speaker wires from your power amp speaker connections to the high level inputs on the back of the SA instead of running RCA cables from the preamp. Your problem could be isolated to the RCA inputs on the SA.
post #2364 of 2982 Old 05-25-2012, 04:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ_777 View Post

Out of curiosity, how long did it take you to disassemble/reassemble?

I'd say about 8 to 10 hours per speaker.

post #2365 of 2982 Old 05-25-2012, 06:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Well I just did a little research and the two outputs on the ALD-1 are different, one is active and one passive. Have you tried switching which output drives the SA?

post #2366 of 2982 Old 05-30-2012, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westmd View Post

Sorry I am completely new to this thread and also to Gallo speakers but heard the 3.5's by chance at a demo which was actually meant to demonstrate a preamp. Now I liked there sound a lot but the pricetag (especially here in Europe) is a little bit too high for me. The salesman offered my secnd hand 3.1's which he recieved back from a customer who upgraded. As I do home cinema only I was just wondering for your suggestion of going for the 3.1? How do they perform in comparison to a run-in 3.5 and how we your long run experience with the 3.1? Is anyone using them in a home theatre environment.? Thanks for your advice!

Take Stradas and one or two subs TR-3D, and you get better sound compared to 3.1 model.
post #2367 of 2982 Old 05-30-2012, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westmd View Post

I have 3.1s which I use in my home theatre (B&W centre, B&W ASW2000 sub, and B&W surrounds) I bought them used and I'm very happy with them....I haven't had a chance to audition 3.5s but find it hard to believe that they'd be twice as good sounding (to reflect the price difference) even though I understand that they're a noticeable improvement...
post #2368 of 2982 Old 05-30-2012, 01:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.sah View Post

Take Stradas and one or two subs TR-3D, and you get better sound compared to 3.1 model.

For movies maybe but not for music. The 3.1 plus subamp is a much better combination than the Strada/TR-3.
post #2369 of 2982 Old 05-30-2012, 02:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcemanDallas View Post

For movies maybe but not for music. The 3.1 plus subamp is a much better combination than the Strada/TR-3.

I'm not sure I agree with that statement. Improvements were made to the Mids and Tweeters between 3.1 and 3.5, and those improvements are in the Strada. Also of note, the TR subs have recently recieved new amplifiers, and a pair of Stada set up with a pair of TR-1D subs will offer an amazing value.

post #2370 of 2982 Old 05-30-2012, 03:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm not sure I agree with that statement. Improvements were made to the Mids and Tweeters between 3.1 and 3.5, and those improvements are in the Strada. Also of note, the TR subs have recently recieved new amplifiers, and a pair of Stada set up with a pair of TR-1D subs will offer an amazing value.

I've heard both configurations in the same room, at the same time and the difference was negligible. I would not say one was better than the other in the midrange/highs, maybe slightly different, but the perception of better is dependant on the individual. Where the Stradas had problems was with the bass. Gallo claims 45hz+/- 3db, with a lot of caveats but real world, they have very little useable bass below 80hz. Cranking the sub lowpass filter that high and the mid-bass sounds bloated and slow. Much lower and it sounds too thin, almost like a suckout. The 3.1 with the 10" driver and dual voice coil is much easier to match to the room and get the bass dialed in. I understand your relationship with Anthony so I expect you to disagree but this is my experience.
Reply Speakers

Tags
Anthony Gallo Acoustics , Anthony Gallo Acoustics Tr 3d , Anthony Gallo Acoustics Nucleus Reference 3 5 , Yamaha , Sony , Pioneer Elite , Pioneer Elite 49 Txi Receiver

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page