AVS Forum banner
711K views 4K replies 402 participants last post by  gjr. 
#1 ·
There have been many recent disparate posts inquiring about the Gallos .. namely the Reference 3.1's. So it would make sense to start an owners thread where all the questions can be concentrated and answered within this one thread.

It should also be an area for our mutual Gallo luv-fest for these insanely great sounding (and priced) speakers. Please feel free to post pics of your speakers, equipment and rooms.

Let the love begin ........

#2 ·
It's probably about time that an official thread was made, as I've seen a lot of similar questions.

Here's my living room theater setup:

5 x Gallo Nucleus Micros in wine

1 x SVS PB10-ISD

Supporting Hardware:

Yamaha HTR-5730 (AVR), X-Over at 90Hz (fixed)

Sony RDR-VX500 (DVD/VCR)

Future Upgrades:

Mains to A'diva Ti (~6 months)

Mains to Ref 3.1 (dream)

AVR to Pioneer Elite or Outlaw (~1 year)

Likes: The Micros have great vocal reproducing capabilities. They may not have the bass or highs that many around here look for, but for HT use, I don't miss them. I'm looking at getting two A'diva Tis to replace the mains for music for better extension on both the highs and lows. They are great at lower volumes, so I can watch movies late at night without disturbing others, especially if the sub is turned off (and yes, they are listenable without the sub, unlike other famous satellites...). They are extremely high on WAF, especially with their color options (the wine goes great with a reddish tinted wood, like cherry).

Dislikes: For music, the Micros lack a little bit on the low end, leaving a small gap between them and the subwoofer, but that's about it...

In room response (numbers tested using AVIA, test tones, and RS SPL meter):

60Hz: Audible, but very low dB

115Hz: In-Room -3 dB (listening position, calibrated)

130Hz: 1 meter -3 dB (tested in room, away from other objects)

150-200Hz: In-Room +/- 0.5 dB (listening position, calibrated)

18kHz: -2dB

19kHz: -5dB

#4 ·
I'll be a Gallo Reference 3.1 owner within a few weeks. I'll be using them with a Pioneer Elite Reciever, and will eventually add the Reference AV Center, and Dues as surrounds, but I'm sticking with two channel for now. I've got some speakers lying around so it'll be a make shift surround setup in any case.

Psyched.

#5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnzoPolotso /forum/post/0

I'll be a Gallo Reference 3.1 owner within a few weeks. I'll be using them with a Pioneer Elite Reciever, and will eventually add the Reference AV Center, and Dues as surrounds, but I'm sticking with two channel for now. I've got some speakers lying around so it'll be a make shift surround setup in any case.

Psyched.

Dues are discontinued. Only way you can get them is if a dealer still has them in stock.

#8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrypt /forum/post/0

Dues are discontinued. Only way you can get them is if a dealer still has them in stock.

The gallo website is still showing them for sale. I live far from any dealer, so I can order items online. Their internet store shows all current products available. So, the rumor is false or their store isn't up to date, however their store has been updated within the past few months with the reference series speakers, so I'd assume that it's pretty current.

I've heard from a dealer that the regular Micros and A'divas (not the Ti's) are being discontinued, but so far there's no evidence of that rumor being true either.

#9 ·
I needed two more Due's to make my 5.1 into a 7.1. I presently have 5 Due's in black. Gallo confirmed the Due is no longer in production. They have white ones in stock still, but no blacks. I was referred to a dealer in CA where I ordered my remaining 2 Due's today.

Gallo suggested the Due is to be replaced by a forthcoming design based upon the AV Reference line minus 2 balls. So, think of a Due with, perhaps, A'Diva Ti or Micro Ti drivers and the CDT arranged horizontally or vertically for center and surrounds. They are shooting for a Fall CEDIA announcement. Probably, available for sale in 2008. I'm pretty well committed to the Due at this point. So, I didn't ask about estimated pricing.

The Due didn't sell particularly well here in the US, but met with better success in Europe. The design was a love it/hate it affair. Additionally, the A'Diva Ti is so good at its price point that the Due was sort of hard to justify for many at $599. Personally, I love my Due system. These little speakers rock.

#11 ·
I also have a set of Gallos at home. Here is a description of my 4.1 setup:

DVD Player: Oppo 971

Preamp: Outlaw 990

Amp: Earthquake Cinenova Grande 7 (black)

Fronts: Gallo Reference 3.1s (Silver/black)

Rears: Gallo Due (all black)

Sub: JL Audio Fathom F113 (satin)

Projector: Infocus SP5000

Screen: 106" Graywolf

Room: 16' W x 15' D x 8' H with large opening on right to dining room/kitchen

Center will be a Gallo Reference Center, hope to purchase this soon. I will post pictures/freq resp charts of the entire setup sometime next week.

#12 ·
Question:

I currently have an HT setup consisting of 2 Ref 3.1's, AV center, and 2 Diva Ti's as rears. Until I upgrade to separates I am running them off of a Denon AVR-3300 (105 w/ch x 5). My question is about speaker settings on the receiver .. which should be set as Large and which as Small???? I do not yet have the SA Amp and I am not using a subwoofer. My assumption is to set the front 3 as large and the Diva's as small but does anyone have any other ideas?

Thanks

#14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by foveus /forum/post/0

Question:

I currently have an HT setup consisting of 2 Ref 3.1's, AV center, and 2 Diva Ti's as rears. Until I upgrade to separates I am running them off of a Denon AVR-3300 (105 w/ch x 5). My question is about speaker settings on the receiver .. which should be set as Large and which as Small???? I do not yet have the SA Amp and I am not using a subwoofer. My assumption is to set the front 3 as large and the Diva's as small but does anyone have any other ideas?

Thanks

Since you are not running a sub I would set your mains to Large, and the rest to small. If you have the ability to set individual crossovers, I would set the center at 80Hz and the rears to 100Hz.

If you are serious about HT, I would highly recommend the addition of a subwoofer.

#15 ·
Hello Foveus et al ... soon to be Gallo Ref. owner (waiting impatiently), and just rec. my Due's for surrounds ..... I may plug 'em in to have a quick "hear" and break-'em in a bit. I'll be running a Martin Logan dynamo for a sub instead of the Gallo S.A.

Foveus: do u use your system for music as well, or mostly H.T.? If for music (especially sacd, dvd-audio), how does your av center match up "timber-wise" with the Ref 3's?

I bought the Dues for the time being, and if I like the Gallo stuff I will probably upgrade to 4 Ref 3's, and an AV center, if they timber match properly ..... otherwise I may go without a center ..
.. music 70 %, h.t. 30% .....

#19 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdogroeder /forum/post/0

Nice set-up you have there.

What do those Gallo's sound like?

I'm not really sure how to answer that... My audio vocabulary is fairly limited.

They have a kind of surreal soundstage about them, thanks to the unique tweeter. Highs are "airy" and "articulate" and bass is deep and tight.

Uhh... Yeah, something like that.

This is a good place to start:
http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/gallo/ref3.html

#22 ·
Hey, everyone .... got my Ref 3.1's in the other room with a sleeping bag over 'em, and am breaking them in as we speak ... rec. the due's for surrounds as well and am breaking them in lightly, as well .... anyone have a downloadable manual for the Due's? Neither of them came with one! Next upgrade: ref av center ... I DO have 2 extra Due's, one of which I may try (as a center ... but I'm a bit anal on timber matching), but if I am going to sell them, I would rather have them new, in box.

After they have the pre-requisite break-in period, I'll writer up a quick review if anyone is interested.

#23 ·
Some suggestions on break-in: I wired my Refs out of phase and faced them towards each other. I then wrapped them in multiple blankets and really let 'em crank for a few days.

As far as the Due's, I found this manual online (from Gallo UK): http://www.anthonygallo.co.uk/downloads/due.pdf

I just purchased a Ref AV center, should arrive sometime next week. I would run the 3.1s with a phantom center until you get the Ref center. I tried a Due for a center and found the timber to be a little off (although not unlistenable). Since your Due's are new in the box, I would keep them that way, especially since they are no longer available from Gallo.

#24 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushbison /forum/post/0

Hey, everyone .... got my Ref 3.1's in the other room with a sleeping bag over 'em, and am breaking them in as we speak ... rec. the due's for surrounds as well and am breaking them in lightly, as well .... anyone have a downloadable manual for the Due's? Neither of them came with one! Next upgrade: ref av center ... I DO have 2 extra Due's, one of which I may try (as a center ... but I'm a bit anal on timber matching), but if I am going to sell them, I would rather have them new, in box.

After they have the pre-requisite break-in period, I'll writer up a quick review if anyone is interested.

BTW, what kind of electronics are you running them with?

#26 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdv5 /forum/post/0

Based on the picture, your Ref 3.1 speakers are reversed. Have you tried pointing bass drivers outward?

I don't know if there is a "normal" or a "reverse" way of looking at it. More likely, "normal" is what works well in your room. I think a good rule of thumb is that if your speakers are close to the side walls, woofers in might sound better.