Sound System Recommendations (hopefully not a huge can of worms) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 02-16-2007, 01:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'll admit it, I'm a video guy... and I have never put any emphasis on audio. I just put a 50" Panasonic in the living room along with a PS3 for BluRay and some gaming. I've got it all set and running good.

I was content with the built in speakers for about a week, I now realize I need some sort of multi channel system. I like quality things and don't want to settle for some "home theater in a box", but at the same point, I don't want to go way overboard.

I need help! I don't even know what to search for as far as good brands or types.

Here are some of my requirements:

- I would like to stay under $1,000 (preferably around 500)
- I only have about 12' from the panel to the seating area (See Room)
- The main seating is against a wall (not sure if rear channels would work well?)
- slim design or even in wall is important, I don't want huge speakers laying out
- clean sound over loud
- Good for music as well as movies
- clean / simple design for receiver
- allowance for three optical inputs (cable, ps3 and OTA HD)
- other stuff I may not have thought of???

Can someone that REALLY knows this stuff provide me with a small list of equipment I should narrow in on? and maybe provide some features I should be looking for in a receiver. I don't want to buy a speaker that gets great reviews, by may be optimal 4 feet away from a wall... stuff like that.

Also, if I go with a center channel, it will have to be above or below my TV and not inline with the right and left. I hear that this is a problem and possibly using a "phantom" center is a better route...?

Again, I really don't know much... but I do know I want something decent!

BTW... if you noticed my cable mess in the picture, I am waiting to finalize my setup before I get a cabinet for my equipment. I am having a hard time finding something for that purpose as well... but that is for another thread!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 02-16-2007, 03:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 24
Is the $1000 budget for speakers and a receiver?

Jesus Christ is the Way, The Truth, and The Life, He is the only Way to God!

Yamaha RXV765

Emotiva LPA-1

Ascend Sierra-2s(LCR), RSS300, Polk R15

SVS PB12 plus

Panasonic S65

Sony S5100

PS4, PS3, XBOX 360

post #3 of 16 Old 02-16-2007, 03:20 PM - Thread Starter

Ideally... Not sure if $1000 will allow for a decent system or not.

I'm not opposed to just a decent set of front speakers with sub if the budget is too thin.

Like I said, I am concerned about rear speakers anyway... because of the seating location.
post #4 of 16 Old 02-16-2007, 03:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingscott View Post

Ideally... Not sure if $1000 will allow for a decent system or not.

I'm not opposed to just a decent set of front speakers with sub if the budget is too thin.

Like I said, I am concerned about rear speakers anyway... because of the seating location.

You should check out Orb speakers. The link is for 5 speakers and a subwoofer, but you can check out the other package deals on there website. they do get respect for their size. And they sell speaker stands for there speakers. You could find a decent Harmon Kardon refurbished receiver with warranty for around $300 on there ebay website.
http://www.orbaudio.com/index.asp?Pa...WPROD&ProdID=2
home page:http://www.orbaudio.com/index.asp

Yamaha RXV765

Emotiva LPA-1

SVS PB12 plus

Panasonic S65

Sony S5100

PS4, PS3, XBOX 360

post #5 of 16 Old 02-16-2007, 04:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Or you could look into HSU speakers. Hsu gets a lot of respect for there subs, and it sounds like there new speakers are getting great reviews and they have package deals for about $1000 with a sub.
http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/enthusiast1.html

I would definately recommend the HSU system over the Orb system. Although I have never heard ether one, I'm sure the HSU speakers and deffinately the sub would blow the Orbs away.

Yamaha RXV765

Emotiva LPA-1

SVS PB12 plus

Panasonic S65

Sony S5100

PS4, PS3, XBOX 360

post #6 of 16 Old 02-16-2007, 04:10 PM

Besides the Orbs and HSU's which are good, for that price point there is the Infinity TSS-1200, which are quite new, and are $999 on sale.

For a cheaper price around $600, check out the Harman Kardon HKTS-18.
post #7 of 16 Old 02-16-2007, 04:41 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestions! Are there any decent "in wall" speakers in that price range?
post #8 of 16 Old 02-16-2007, 04:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Speakercraft is suppose to be descent.
http://speakercraft.com/#Home

Yamaha RXV765

Emotiva LPA-1

SVS PB12 plus

Panasonic S65

Sony S5100

PS4, PS3, XBOX 360

post #9 of 16 Old 02-16-2007, 08:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
I think there are a few things that really separate a low-cost (but decent) receiver+speakers+sub from the typical HTiB:

1) A decent low-cost receiver has much more real current available than the HTiB all-in-one electronics
2) HTiB subs are horrible - typically under sized, under-powered & boomy
3) Much easier to find front speakers that are reasonably flat from 80Hz-20Khz, HTiB systems are notorious for having significant FR holes between the peaky sub and the sats

HOWEVER, when you combine low-cost with slim & stylish, lots of compromises have to be made - and usually that means big compromises in the sound quality - which takes you back toward the HTiB level of performance.

IMHO, at $500 for receiver+speakers+sub you would need to find a deal on used gear.

For $1000, you might break it down something like this:
$400 - Sub
$200 - Receiver
$400 - Speakers

You then have choices. Spend all $400 on 2 front speakers, or try to spread it into 5 speakers. Spending less than $400 on a sub is possible - maybe an Acoustech H100. That would give a bit more money available for the speakers.

I would check the usual suspects for deals on sale - One_Call, Vanns, etc. Also Audiogon & eBay for privately sold used gear. Audio geeks tend to take care of their gear, and they get upgraditis very regularly!

If you think this post was dumb, you really should read my blog=> http://bumpedhishead.blogspot.com/
post #10 of 16 Old 02-16-2007, 09:18 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
flyingscott, I think you are best served going with a 2.1 set up for starters. In-walls in this price range are not a good value imo vs bookshelf speakers. As billybob suggests, you can get some pretty good sound for $1000 or less. Check out ********** and the x-series speakers and x-sub. They have some interesting finishes due out soon (browse their forum for pics), which may look good in your room.

You can also check out axiomaudio.com. They have on-wall options that start at $440/pr shipped. With an x-sub or the BIC you'd still have some cash for your receiver.
post #11 of 16 Old 02-17-2007, 06:40 AM - Thread Starter

More good stuff, thanks guys! The eBay suggestion is a good idea.

I hate to even bring this brand up because people have very STRONG opinions about them... BUT - I came across a set of Bose 191 in walls for 300.00.

Would it be dumb to combine a few of those right now along with a good receiver/sub. And upgrade the rear channels at a later date? Or would you steer away from Bose regardless of price?
post #12 of 16 Old 02-17-2007, 09:36 AM
Advanced Member

i always prefer a center speaker over phantom. i would try to keep the center directly above or below your monitor. in your area i would probably go below the monitor. looks pretty easy in your case. you could always build or install a small inconspicuous shelf below and place the center on that. IMHO you cant have good video without good sound...

i would look over at tsto.com and see their speakers. they always have some great speakers that may have been discontinued but, are still brand new in box for very good prices. their service and ship times are good.

x- sub is a great little sub- and i own one will cost i believe around $240 shipped. i would place it near field in that large-ish room of yours and then add another x-sub down the line- and run dual.

since rears are a concern for you. and looks too. but, sound shoud be the final factor along with the looks- i would look into some low profile satellites or even maybe some dipoles that "hug" the wall abit more and are lower profile. and mount them higher up on the side walls. mirage makes some really nice speakers that are inconspicuous for the surrounds. i think vanns has some decnt prices on them.

the receiver IMHO is a tough one. i know a lot of members will say speaker superiority over receiver. that can be read at times to mean "break the bank on the speakers, and squeak by on the reciever". i don't necessarily think they mean that but, i feel it should be a fairly even compromise. good speakers will sound better than bad speakers with a sub par receiver but you won't be getting all that you shoud out of them going that route. you will have to read to figure out what you want.

started out in the same boat as you actually around $1000 budget. this is how i went:

mission m70 fronts and rears and mission M7c1 $300 shipped.
mission m7ds dipole sides - $150 shipped.
onix x-sub $242 shipped. will be adding another one in the next few weeks. don't really need. but i want to round it all out.
pioneer elite 81- $579 shipped (that was a steal brand new through AAFES online).

grand total= $1271. over budget by $271 - not bad considering i can be VERY compulsive when it comes to this kind of thing.

satisfaction and smile on my face every night = priceless.

is it perfect? for me it is. would i like to upgrade to the mission elegante E82's as my fronts? yes- but, down the line maybe? i was on a budget...

moral of the story- i'm not suggesting you run out and duplicate my setup. some people love mission speakers - some hate. some people love pioneer- some hate. but, with the internet at your fingertips you can research and scour for deals and piece together a nice brand new system and remain close to your budget.

however, i WOULD look over at tsto they do have some nice speakers there from wharfedale, mission and mordaunt. try to stick with the same brand and match your front 3 speakers, your surrounds you can be a little more flexible on.

edit- whoops sorry for the lengthy reply.
post #13 of 16 Old 02-17-2007, 10:31 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks adamanteus! A lot of good information...

I just checked out tsto.com and they have a great price on the M70 right now... 69 bucks for a pair. That seems almost too good. I'll have to look into them some more. They are a bit larger than I would like, but I know I am going to have to make sacrifices somewhere.

Funny you mentioned the elite 81, I was looking at that same receiver. Its a bit more expensive, but it has all the features I want. I'm wondering if the 80 will be sufficient... or even the VSX-1016TXV...
post #14 of 16 Old 02-17-2007, 11:28 AM
Advanced Member

i think for the long haul i would go for the elite 81 over the 1016 or the 80.

the m70 are great speakers, and the price is unbelievable. they are an older model from 2002 (hence the lower price tag) but sound great. i think that how tsto operates they buy a bunch of older models and make their money that way.

maybe you could go with a pair of them for the fronts $69 and get some nice stands, an m7c1i for $99, and the m7ds bipoles for $150. thats a nice little quality setup for a nice price. and timbre matched to boot. remember these speakers cost WAY more when they were introduced onto the market. if you try them- when you remove them from the packaging you will see they are nicely built, sturdy speakers. definitely not cheaply built.

so that puts you at say $350 for your speakers. leaving the rest for sub and receiver. the sub will be subjective as well due to your space.

the x-sub will probably work.. especially near field. and you can always add another later. i would recommend av123 not only for their products but, also customer service. if you don't like the x-sub you can send it back. and mark the owner is a great guy. he was in town superbowl weekend, and we have never met but he emailed me and wanted to get together so we could chat and he could see the x-sub in action in my setup. you never get this type of personalization elsewhere. unfortunately due to my workload we couldn't get together. hopefully next time.

anyhow if you play it smart you can come close to your budget. you will PROBABLY go over a bit- it's almost inevitable. as you research you start to expand on your demands a bit. but, you can keep it very close and get yourself something that will really satisfy you for years to come. essentially that is the goal in researching. you want stay somehere near your set budget but, you want something that will keep you satisfied for a long time. so going over your budget by a little bit will definitely pay off in the long run. sure you can pick up a HTIB for $600 now but, mark my words probably in 12 months you will be replacing it and that's $600 down the drain. of course you can sell the old HTIB but you'll still take a loss. you know what i mean .

good luck and let me know if i can be of any help to you.

PS- we have started a small mission owners thread here. there are some links posted to reviews on mission speakers. including the m70.
post #15 of 16 Old 02-17-2007, 11:41 AM

With the overwhelming amount of choices in this thread, you really can't go wrong with many of the models/brands listed.
post #16 of 16 Old 02-17-2007, 12:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: close to Milwaukee, WI but far enough from the hood!
If you would rather have in walls, and want to stick within your budget, take a look at www.htd.com They have some decent looking in walls for $119 a pair. You could then get the pio 1016 or whatever receiver you think fits your needs. Look at the BIC Acoustech H100 for a good inexpensive sub.

Pat
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page