Help with floor plan attachment for speaker placememt - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 02-19-2007, 03:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a unusual set-up and need help with where to place my surround speakers. My plasma tv is in the corner of the room, so where do I position the surrounds? I tried to include a floor plan but can't figure out how. Can someone help with the floor plan attachment first, then maybe I can get some feed back on the speaker placement. Thanks and excuse my computer ignorance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 02-19-2007, 04:01 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 323
http://www.dolby.com/consumer/home_e...oomlayout.html
Just below the diagram, click on "Corner Room Placement."

The key here is the listening position, (angled sofa). If you can't locate the listening position as shown in the diagram, you'll have a very compromised listening/viewing experience with a corner placement.

Craig

Lombardi said it:
Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence."

My System

post #3 of 9 Old 02-19-2007, 04:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig john View Post

http://www.dolby.com/consumer/home_e...oomlayout.html
Just below the diagram, click on "Corner Room Placement."

The key here is the listening position, (angled sofa). If you can't locate the listening position as shown in the diagram, you'll have a very compromised listening/viewing experience with a corner placement.

Craig

Craig, thanks for the response. I do not have my sofa in the position illustrated in the link you provided. I know I will have a compromised listening experience. However, it's getting the best sound for the furniture placement I do have. My furniture is a 90 degree sectional. The best viewing and listening position would be the corner seat of the sectional. Wish I could provide a diagram to show you better but I can not figure out how to do that yet. Any suggestions?
post #4 of 9 Old 02-19-2007, 04:51 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 323
With a corner listening position, (I assume the opposite corner from the plasma display), I would forget "surround sound" because you'll never make it work right. Use 2.1 or 3.1.

Sorry it that's not what you wanted to hear, but it's the truth.

Craig

Lombardi said it:
Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence."

My System

post #5 of 9 Old 02-19-2007, 05:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Since you have your plasma in the corner I assume your FRONT's are positioned just on either-side (of the TV)?

Your CENTER is probably underneath your TV?

If these assumptions are true, then the only thing you could (probably) do is mount two SURROUND's to the ceiling above (and a few feet just behind) your seating position. Only hassle is routing wiring.

You can use in-wall types, or conventional book-shelf type with mounting brackets.
post #6 of 9 Old 02-19-2007, 08:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig john View Post

With a corner listening position, (I assume the opposite corner from the plasma display), I would forget "surround sound" because you'll never make it work right. Use 2.1 or 3.1.

Sorry it that's not what you wanted to hear, but it's the truth.

Craig

You are partly correct. The sweet spot would be the corner seat. However, I do not always sit in the corner. Also, there are usually other people watching as well and they sit in seats to the left and right of the corner seat. Wouldn't I gain some benefit from the rears? I hate to give them up without ruling out all possibilities. I only have 3 days left to make a decision since the 30 day return date is approaching fast. In the past 27 days I have experimented extensively with placement and although some surround sound is heard most of the time I can not even tell. I was under the impression that that source I was watching did not contain a lot of really good surround material. But as you said I do not want to hear that. Your probably right though 3.1 would be best.
post #7 of 9 Old 02-19-2007, 08:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoastD View Post

Since you have your plasma in the corner I assume your FRONT's are positioned just on either-side (of the TV)?

Your CENTER is probably underneath your TV?

If these assumptions are true, then the only thing you could (probably) do is mount two SURROUND's to the ceiling above (and a few feet just behind) your seating position. Only hassle is routing wiring.

You can use in-wall types, or conventional book-shelf type with mounting brackets.

I thought of this except one side of the sectional is against the wall while the other side floats away from the wall. It is an odd arrangement I know but it's what I have to work with. I think my best option just might be a 3.1 set up. I guess I got my hopes too high for making a 5.1 system work. Thanks.
post #8 of 9 Old 02-19-2007, 08:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Potatoe View Post

I thought of this except one side of the sectional is against the wall while the other side floats away from the wall. It is an odd arrangement I know but it's what I have to work with. I think my best option just might be a 3.1 set up. I guess I got my hopes too high for making a 5.1 system work. Thanks.

I would still make a effort to mount to ceiling (straight-up) above you. or against the wall behind you (if possible). Wiring will be the major [problem], depending on your home structure.

I have a very small (16 X 15) apartment living-room for my HT/Audio set-up. The depth from center of TV going back to central listening position is somewhat "shallow" (maybe 8.5 ft.). My head is right up against the rear wall. I have my rear-surrounds mounted on the same wall, however, to either side (facing forward). I still get good surround effect for DolbyDigital, DTS, SACD, DVD-A, etc.,...
post #9 of 9 Old 02-20-2007, 04:43 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoastD View Post

I would still make a effort to mount to ceiling (straight-up) above you. or against the wall behind you (if possible). Wiring will be the major [problem], depending on your home structure.

I have a very small (16 X 15) apartment living-room for my HT/Audio set-up. The depth from center of TV going back to central listening position is somewhat "shallow" (maybe 8.5 ft.). My head is right up against the rear wall. I have my rear-surrounds mounted on the same wall, however, to either side (facing forward). I still get good surround effect for DolbyDigital, DTS, SACD, DVD-A, etc.,...

I'm going to try one last thing before I give up on 5.1. First off, I'm returning the Def Tech 800 rear surrounds before the 30 days are up. Then I plan on trying Mirage Nano Stat Prestige speakers instead. Maybe with their bipolar design and mounting them to the wall (up high facing down) I can salvage some 5.1 sound. This method will give me as close a set up as you suggested without mounting them to the ceiling (that would be extremely difficult in my situation). I'll have another 30 days to try this and if not they will go back and I'll have to live with 3.1. I think it's worth a try. My only concern is how the Mirage speakers will match up with the other Def Tech's I'm using for everything else.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page