Best headphones for around $80? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 35 Old 02-21-2007, 06:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Pretty simple question i guess. As for any preferances, I like bigger headphones. I like bass, so thats important since I listen to alot of bass heavy music. But I dont like it to throw off the rest of the sound. I like bass exagerated but not overpowering I guess you could say. I also listen to alot of orchestral pieces so detail and all that good stuff is important too. Theyll never be used for movies and very rarely for gaming.

Im not expecting any miracle headphones for 80 bucks, but the best headphones ive ever used are terrible generic ones (ya know, the ones that are always hissing, have no bass and sound hollow and tired.) so im pretty sure ill be happy with whatever I get, id just like to know what yall think are my best options. Also please note that my budget pretty much brickwalls at 80 bucks, i may be able to squeeze out an extra 4 bucks or something, but thats it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 Old 02-21-2007, 06:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
Sennheiser HD-280

http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-HD-...&s=electronics
post #3 of 35 Old 02-21-2007, 06:58 PM

Check out headroom's website.

I own 3 in price range $40-$80: Koss Porta Pro, Ultimate Ears super.fi 3, and Sennheiser PX 100. Get Koss if you love bass. Ultimate Ears also has good bass.
post #4 of 35 Old 02-21-2007, 07:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
These are very good phones.

http://hcmaudio.com/comp.asp?compID=177

Jon
post #5 of 35 Old 02-21-2007, 07:59 PM

I second the Sennheiser HD-280. These are circumaural headphones and do a pretty good job of shutting off the outside world. They fit a little snug, so some people don't like them. But they do sound good.
Also check out the Grado SR-60, and if you can swing a little more money the Grado SR-80 is even better. I believe they go for around $95. These sit on top of your ear. Many say that you can't get better for twice the price.
Good luck.
post #6 of 35 Old 02-21-2007, 08:06 PM

Liked: 14
Senn's are more comfortable, the Grados are better sound IMO. I own more expensive Senns, but I prefer Grado for sound purposes only. I am not a headphone fan, so it's just for when I'm travling.

headfi.org of course is where you want to be.
post #7 of 35 Old 02-21-2007, 08:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
http://www.head-fi.org/

Don't go there unless you have strong control over your wallet!

If you think this post was dumb, you really should read my blog=> http://bumpedhishead.blogspot.com/
post #8 of 35 Old 02-21-2007, 08:20 PM

I would personally go Grado, but Senns are good too.

I wouldn't suggest IEMs at they aren't known for bass.
post #9 of 35 Old 02-21-2007, 08:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXGC View Post

Pretty simple question i guess. As for any preferances, I like bigger headphones. I like bass, so thats important since I listen to alot of bass heavy music. But I dont like it to throw off the rest of the sound. I like bass exagerated but not overpowering I guess you could say. I also listen to alot of orchestral pieces so detail and all that good stuff is important too. Theyll never be used for movies and very rarely for gaming.

Im not expecting any miracle headphones for 80 bucks, but the best headphones ive ever used are terrible generic ones (ya know, the ones that are always hissing, have no bass and sound hollow and tired.) so im pretty sure ill be happy with whatever I get, id just like to know what yall think are my best options. Also please note that my budget pretty much brickwalls at 80 bucks, i may be able to squeeze out an extra 4 bucks or something, but thats it.

Grado SR80 are awesome (although $95, but 15 isn't really much more than $80). If the $15 really can't be spared then Grado SR60 for like $65, I think. They are weaker for bass though and don't have quite the soundstage (I am somewhat suspicious that if you were able to get ahold of the earcups for the SR80 and stick them on the SR60 that they two headphone might then be awfully close. i could be wrong, but I am suspicious that the radically different foam cushions are what is really different between the two.)

Sennheiser are not bad, but I really think these Grados are definitely the way to go these days. The Koss Porta have some bass are are not bad, but I don't think they touch the Grado either. They might be the least expensive of the bunch though and the lowest you want to go and still get quality.
post #10 of 35 Old 02-21-2007, 10:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Fool View Post

I wouldn't suggest IEMs at they aren't known for bass.

Not the 80 dollar ones but the nice Ultimate Ears and westones are very awesome. Your looking at 600 bucks and up though.
post #11 of 35 Old 02-21-2007, 10:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybob_jcv View Post

http://www.head-fi.org/

Don't go there unless you have strong control over your wallet!

LMAO

I second the recommendation for the Senn PX-100's

Also you might want to call and see what these cost.

http://www.headphone.com/guide/by-ma...ser-hd-555.php
post #12 of 35 Old 02-21-2007, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by speco2003 View Post

Not the 80 dollar ones but the nice Ultimate Ears and westones are very awesome. Your looking at 600 bucks and up though.

Ah, maybe I should have added the eighty dollars part on. I have some Super.Fi 3s and once I saw the price I already knew anything IEM with bass was out.

Although, I've heard good things about this one other IEM company that's supposedly really good in bass. Can't remember it off the top of my head . . .

Just looked them up, I heard the V Moda Vibes were good IEMs for bass at entry price. They are fairly recessed in mids though, and the highs dropping off scare me . . .

The FR graph:
post #13 of 35 Old 02-22-2007, 06:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 31
AKG K81DJ

http://www.headphone.com/guide/by-ma...kg-k-81-dj.php

These are closed headphones that seal out a bit of sound. They put out clean solid bass without sounding bloated like other cheaper headphones. A pretty balanced and "fun" sounding headphone that doesn't skimp on the bass like some other "audiophile" phones

The HD280 aren't going to sound as punchy in the low end as these, ample bass is not in its vocabulary. They roll off pretty fast in the bass regions.

The PX100 and PortaPro ain't bad, but the K81DJ is better.

Normally I'd recommend the Grado SR60 but they are a bit lean sounding.

Certified Ultra Professional AVS Special Member Class A
post #14 of 35 Old 02-22-2007, 12:44 PM
Wid

Quote:
Originally Posted by warpdrive View Post

AKG K81DJ

http://www.headphone.com/guide/by-ma...kg-k-81-dj.php

These are closed headphones that seal out a bit of sound. They put out clean solid bass without sounding bloated like other cheaper headphones. A pretty balanced and "fun" sounding headphone that doesn't skimp on the bass like some other "audiophile" phones

The HD280 aren't going to sound as punchy in the low end as these, ample bass is not in its vocabulary. They roll off pretty fast in the bass regions.

The PX100 and PortaPro ain't bad, but the K81DJ is better.

Normally I'd recommend the Grado SR60 but they are a bit lean sounding.

I agree with this 100%. The K81djs are the ticket if you want a phone for around $60 and BASS, a lot of it too. I had these for a while and they served me well but I do like the Grado SR 60s much more.

Rick
post #15 of 35 Old 02-22-2007, 01:05 PM
Advanced Member

I'll second skibum5000's post.

If your upper ceiling is $80 and you are a basshead then the GR60s probably aren't your best choice. If you can make the jump to $95 + tax/shipping then the GR80s are hard to beat.

Otherwise they are a great set of headphones.
post #16 of 35 Old 02-22-2007, 02:40 PM
Kor

The Senns are just "okay" for the money, but Grados sound fantastic.

If you don't mind the looks of the grados and the fact that they leak a bit of sound, you won't find a more musical, pleasant, wonderful sounding headphone for that budget.

Although personally I think you're spending too little.
post #17 of 35 Old 02-22-2007, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wid View Post

I agree with this 100%. The K81djs are the ticket if you want a phone for around $60 and BASS, a lot of it too. I had these for a while and they served me well but I do like the Grado SR 60s much more.

How comfortable are the K81djs? Pretty much the only headphone I can wear all day is the AKG 240, but they are open and I need something closed.
post #18 of 35 Old 02-22-2007, 02:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fnord View Post

I'll second skibum5000's post.

If your upper ceiling is $80 and you are a basshead then the GR60s probably aren't your best choice. If you can make the jump to $95 + tax/shipping then the GR80s are hard to beat.

Otherwise they are a great set of headphones.

J&R currently has free shipping on them (the SR80s, so $95 would be the total including shipping, a few other places here and there do to, but they were out of stock recently at the other places).

one thing to note about Grados though is that they are very bad for environments that are noisy or one that are stone dead quiet and have other people in them desiring 100% quiet. they are an extemely open design so block little external noise and let out noticeably more volume to the external world than what many people may be used to. they will not work well on an airplane flight, certainly not one that has noisy engines or sitting right next to somebody in the library. they do sound fantastic though.
post #19 of 35 Old 02-22-2007, 03:16 PM

Did a bit of research on this a year or so ago and choose the V-6 over the Grado SR 60's. Have been very happy with them for music and gaming.

Found them at Etronics for $80 shipped ...... couldn't post the URL as I don't have enough posts
post #20 of 35 Old 02-22-2007, 03:21 PM - Thread Starter

Ive always loved the looks of the Grados actually. Only problem I have with them is that they are open, I dont need noise to be blocked out really, just for it to be kept in, and they dont do that.

Ofcourse if the sound quality really is that great then I can get over the noise issues. But if there are headphones in the price range that sound like the SR80 but block out noise, id like to know. Other wise ill prolly go for the Sr80's.
post #21 of 35 Old 02-22-2007, 04:38 PM
Wid

Quote:
Originally Posted by dthree View Post

How comfortable are the K81djs? Pretty much the only headphone I can wear all day is the AKG 240, but they are open and I need something closed.

They are a pretty tight fit but not so much that you can't wear them for a couple of hours. They do get more comfortable the more you wear them. I would certainly take the AkGs over the Senn 280 pros. I also owned the 280 pros.

Rick
post #22 of 35 Old 02-22-2007, 06:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by mudjack3r View Post

Check out headroom's website.

I own 3 in price range $40-$80: Koss Porta Pro, Ultimate Ears super.fi 3, and Sennheiser PX 100. Get Koss if you love bass. Ultimate Ears also has good bass.

I SECOND that recommendation, the Koss Porta Pro headphones are the FINEST headphones I have ever used bar none. Yes, they look strange, but they are awesome! The amount of detail that these headphones reveal is simply incredible... it is like hearing the music for the first time. As for base, they are great without being "boomy"/dull.

Save your money and buy the Porta Pro's, I guarantee you will NOT be disappointed. One more thing, these headphones come with a full lifetime guarantee! Anything goes wrong and all you have to do is ship them back to KOSS and all it costs is $6 shipping and handling!
post #23 of 35 Old 02-22-2007, 09:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 93
i will put in another vote for px-100's heck i think they are under 60.00 now.
post #24 of 35 Old 02-22-2007, 09:09 PM

Why not wait until you have the money to get some really good ones.... http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue26/headfi.htm
post #25 of 35 Old 02-22-2007, 09:17 PM

Dude, he's looking to spend $80, not the price of a pair of nice bookshelf speakers.

I need something to replace the Sony earbuds for use at the gym. Which suits me better, the Sennheiser PX 100 or the Koss Porta Pro?
post #26 of 35 Old 02-22-2007, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael83 View Post

Dude, he's looking to spend $80, not the price of a pair of nice bookshelf speakers.

I need something to replace the Sony earbuds for use at the gym. Which suits me better, the Sennheiser PX 100 or the Koss Porta Pro?

Probably PX 100, if I remember they offered at least some (although little) noise insolation.
post #27 of 35 Old 02-23-2007, 06:52 AM

i recently got a pair of grado s-80's and tried real hard for three weeks to like em but i found them VERY fatiguing to listen to. so then i bought senn 595's and 580's. between the two i liked the 580's slightly better but in the end went for the 595's because they are INSANELY comfortable and can be worn for long periods of time without even realizing they are on.

besides the fatiguing i felt with the grado's they were also very uncomfortable and i never got used to them on my ears--and i tried. as others have pointed out, they are also quite open in their design. so are the senns i bought but not nearly as open as the grado's.

i would recommend listening to some--j&r is an excellent place to get em since prices are amongst the best i found across the board.
post #28 of 35 Old 02-23-2007, 10:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by govner View Post

i recently got a pair of grado s-80's and tried real hard for three weeks to like em but i found them VERY fatiguing to listen to. so then i bought senn 595's and 580's. between the two i liked the 580's slightly better but in the end went for the 595's because they are INSANELY comfortable and can be worn for long periods of time without even realizing they are on.

besides the fatiguing i felt with the grado's they were also very uncomfortable and i never got used to them on my ears--and i tried. as others have pointed out, they are also quite open in their design. so are the senns i bought but not nearly as open as the grado's.

i would recommend listening to some--j&r is an excellent place to get em since prices are amongst the best i found across the board.

well, i guess that goes to show that audio is also a very individual thing. i found the SR80's to be among the less fatiguing of headphones (that are also able to provide detail and not mush). i did find that physically they were not the single most comfortable phones though, perfectly tolerable for me but not as comfortable as the senns though (perhaps surprisingly i foudn the 80's more comfortable than the 60's, although it looks like it should be the other way around.)
post #29 of 35 Old 02-23-2007, 11:10 PM

Another vote for the Koss Porta Pros. Not only are they very comfortable, but they put out real bass and sound great across the rest of the spectrum, if not a little laid back. I tired the Grado 60's a while back and my ears hurt by the time I was done demoing them. Did not like them at all.

I did just pick up the V-Moda Vibes as I wanted to try an in-ear because the Koss aren't the best at blocking noise. Every review I read said they put out tons of bass. Well, what a disappointment. It's kinda more like mid-bass bloat than actual bass. The mids are clear along with crisp highs, but they seem all seperate from each other. Not really like one full smooth sound. If they were like 50 bucks then I would say possibly, but at a $100.00 (89.00 on-line?) I don't know if I'll be keeping them.
Give the Koss a try. You can find them on line for like $35.00. They are an unbeatable value.
post #30 of 35 Old 02-24-2007, 07:34 PM
CFP

IMO go with anything but Grado.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page