Ascend CBM-170 SE vs. HTM-200 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 03-16-2007, 11:40 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi to All -

I'm pretty set on a set of Ascend L/R's and Center channel. A set of older Polk bookshelf speakers and a new HSU sub will complete the package.

I was going w/ the CBM-170 SE's but saw that the HTM-200 is sealed which may, or may not open up some mounting options for me. I'm a little surprised that the CBM's are more money since they only have one woofer... but it is a 6.5" vs. the 2x4" combo of the HTM's.

Does anyone have experience or an opinion on which might be a better set of speakers for L/R's? The system will be mostly for HT.

Any help would be great!

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2007, 11:52 AM

I just received a set of 5 HTMs and they are beautiful little speakers. Extremely solid and easy to mount. (I'm wall mounting and have some space constraints.) The mini-MTM design is very cool looking.

I haven't finished running my wires, but will let you know how the system sounds when I'm done.
Old 06-15-2007, 12:30 AM

Jack care to share your impressions of the HTMs?
Old 06-15-2007, 05:52 AM

Sure! They are awesome. Very clear with a good image. I use the system almost entirely for HT, but music sound excellent also (especially acoustic stuff.)

I feel I am really limited by the acoustics in my room, and that I would need to make improvements to get the full potential of these speakers. They also blend extremely well with the HSU 2.3. The whole system is just tremendous and probably more than I need.

It turned out they were not QUITE as easy to mount as I originally commented. The B-33s are just barely adequate for normal mounting, and mounting them horizontaly requires a different method entirely. They are deceptively heavy!