post #91 of 401 Old 03-27-2007, 04:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tweeterex View Post

Tons of people with the internet believe it's just a cold impersonal tool and sometimes a poor one as it lends itself to a kind of deception that's tough to pull off in person.

This, my friend, is sig material.

The First Clarke Law states, 'If an elderly but distinguished scientist says that something is possible he is almost certainly right, but if he says that it is impossible he is very probably wrong.'
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 401 Old 03-27-2007, 04:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygeno View Post

Wrong. They told me not to come back again. A letter to Jeff Stone, though, straightened them out. But, even though I got that satisfaction, I realized that the whole B&M thing just wasn't my cup of tea anymore.

I can't imagine they took that stance with you, given your friendliness to dealers.

The "satisfaction" you got was Stone enabling Tweeter to take more of your money, not a pang of conscience.

The First Clarke Law states, 'If an elderly but distinguished scientist says that something is possible he is almost certainly right, but if he says that it is impossible he is very probably wrong.'
post #93 of 401 Old 03-27-2007, 04:51 PM
wje
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by schticker View Post

You can thank all the ID nuthuggers among others. You get what you ask for.

Like that is a problem?
post #94 of 401 Old 03-27-2007, 05:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

I can't imagine they took that stance with you, given your friendliness to dealers.

The "satisfaction" you got was Stone enabling Tweeter to take more of your money, not a pang of conscience.

If you're a typical dealer, how can I (or anyone) be friendly.

You're such a friendly guy, that I just can't wait to give you my money for your great knowledge.

Tony

In search of the Holy Grail.

Hometown team
post #95 of 401 Old 03-27-2007, 05:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You can thank all the ID nuthuggers among others. You get what you ask for.

Still blaming others for your personal failures?
post #96 of 401 Old 03-27-2007, 06:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericgl View Post

Still blaming others for your personal failures?

I never worked at Tweeter, nor have I ever contributed to the destruction of an industry. I also expect failure when it comes to getting people to wise up around here.

post #97 of 401 Old 03-27-2007, 06:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wje View Post

Like that is a problem?

You like being taken for a sucker, paying for perceived instead of real value?

"This speaker retails for eleventybillion dollars, but you can have the pair for $999"

Sound familiar?

post #98 of 401 Old 03-27-2007, 06:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygeno View Post

If you're a typical dealer, how can I (or anyone) be friendly.

You're such a friendly guy, that I just can't wait to give you my money for your great knowledge.

I doubt you could afford it.

Unless you want to take out the Tweeter 30 year payment plan.

post #99 of 401 Old 03-27-2007, 07:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I doubt you could afford it.

Unless you want to take out the Tweeter 30 year payment plan.

More endearing banter.

Tony

Hometown team
post #100 of 401 Old 03-27-2007, 07:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:

You like being taken for a sucker, paying for perceived instead of real value?

"This speaker retails for eleventybillion dollars, but you can have the pair for $999"

Sound familiar?

You hit the nail on the head!
post #101 of 401 Old 03-27-2007, 07:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

This, my friend, is sig material.

100% agreed.
post #102 of 401 Old 03-27-2007, 08:30 PM
AVS Special Member

I also heard about the Velo pull out too.
Everyone please get off the ship and hurry.

....Carpe Scrotum!

I think it would be generally more useful if everyone new to these forums is reminded that they are constantly being marketed to and pitched by people who post their affiliations and many others who do not. This is all part of marketing and advertising and you, the consumer, are the targets.
Noth...
post #103 of 401 Old 03-27-2007, 10:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I also heard about the Velo pull out too.
Everyone please get off the ship and hurry.

....Carpe Scrotum!

I think their biggest supporting dealer now is probably EBAY.
post #104 of 401 Old 03-27-2007, 11:58 PM

Unfortuantly i beleive a lot of the vendors will actually hurt themselves in the long run. I mean look at panasonic. Basically killed the plasma market withe there $1300 42" HD plasma. And now denon u can find in Price club or costco. I believe vendors have to relise that eventually there will come a time when the juice wont be worth the squeeze if they keep this price battle going
post #105 of 401 Old 03-28-2007, 12:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshtin92672 View Post

Unfortuantly i beleive a lot of the vendors will actually hurt themselves in the long run. I mean look at panasonic. Basically killed the plasma market withe there $1300 42" HD plasma. And now denon u can find in Price club or costco. I believe vendors have to relise that eventually there will come a time when the juice wont be worth the squeeze if they keep this price battle going

Panasonic is gunning to put other plasma makers out of business and they might just succeed. Ive been seeing Panasonic 42" HD panels getting ever closer to the $1000 mark. That is one reason why Sony got out of the plasma panel market.
post #106 of 401 Old 03-28-2007, 07:04 AM
Advanced Member

Just went into my local Tweeter store in Boston. Most of the shelf space is empty, there are fewer and fewer vendor's products (I noticed that Denon is gone). They must have been cut off by more vendors.

By the way, this isn't one of the stores slated to be closed, it is the one on Boylston Street in the Back Bay.
post #107 of 401 Old 03-28-2007, 07:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericgl View Post

Hopefully Houston is next.

While I don't know why you want them to go out of business. They are closing 2 stores here according to the Chron. business section. I'm surprised that is all since The Theater Home Store pretty well smokes them here in Houston for the same market segment IMO. Maybe Tweeter does enough car audio since The Home Theater Store doesn't do that?

Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined. ~ Henry David Thoreau
post #108 of 401 Old 03-28-2007, 10:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:

There is a world outside of Walmart, and being a very affluent country, there are those who aren't going there, if you are getting drawn there for more and more, look at your personal situation

LMAO - Yeah, you pegged me right.

Price rules regardless of the level. Thanks to places like this you can get a great deal of information about any product. Narrow it down to items that fit your needs & budget - walk into most any store & pick it up off the shelf.

Tweeter offered nothing - can't compete on price, why shop there? What value did they add? Anything I can't find elsewhere? Nope. Knowledge? Yeah, rriiiiiggghhhttt - again thanks to the internet it's rare an educated consumer doesn't know more than any salesperson.

My area has the two of the highest per capita income counties in the US - these place still struggle because they offer nothing.

Quote:

Yes the Walmart crowd is HUGE, but not where most enthusiasts want to see their hobby wind up.

It's not a want, just the reality of the US consumer market. At one time you could walk into ANY retail establishment & get service. Americans voted loud & long - give us price, screw service. Want has nothing to do with it, just the way it is.

Quote:

And now denon u can find in Price club or costco.

What's the choice? Be a boutique brand? Limit yourself to a tiny market? Stockholders will love that idea.

It's just my opinion & it's worth exactly what you paid for it.
post #109 of 401 Old 03-28-2007, 12:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:

True, but if you can't easily get a demo at a dealer (because the manufacturer, Bose, is making it difficult) don't consider that product. If you are in a dealers shop, it is likely easy for you to hear a few things side by side.
Be weary of any manufacturer, like Bose, that makes direct comparisons less conviniant, because their target demographic is , obviously, those that don't care enough to take the time, and hence price perception, marketing, advertising, and buzz all become more important factors (to their normal customer) than direct comparative value. I rarely see HTIB's set-up in Sam's Club either, but people buy them anyway and are most often quite happy with them after hearing them in their own home.

That is Bose for cetain, they don't want any comparision. When I went into Fry's in Sac (125miles from here) All the Bose speakers were in one room. All the other brands (JBL, Infinity, Polk, Sony) were in the other 2 or 3 rooms side by side.
I've never been into a Tweeters, the nearest one is in LV, but I saw, online, they did have some very expensive speakers, until just recently.
But Tweeters isn't the only one having problems, I saw just recently, that CC was also closing some stores.
post #110 of 401 Old 03-28-2007, 12:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well, when they realize that companies like vizio, Samsung, and LG can crush them in the race to the bottom, some of these companies will look around and realize that no one is left telling customers how much better their (Denon, Panasonic, mid-level manufacturer "x"'s) products are , much less show them (no more demo). there will only be one or two "cheapest" and for all who value that above all else, that's all there needs to be.
Tweeter did a lot of things wrong, but they could do a demo of above average goods and generally, if you found the guys in the store who knew what they were talking about (harder in the last few years), then they could explain and show the differances between good gear and better gear.

Quote:

That is one reason why Sony got out of the plasma panel market.

Sony didn't have a plasma panel manufacturing facility and when LG didn't want to sell them any more panels, Sony moved into LCD which they were working on together with Samsung. Those two names (Samsung and LG) will eventually replace Denon and Yamaha too as a certain market segments largest mnfgr of SS rcvrs.

Quote:

Price rules regardless of the level.

Wrong, It doesn't even come up in many of my sales. When it does, it's just to make sure I know that BB will sell the Sony tv for $100 less and that I will match that price.
Quote:

Thanks to places like this you can get a great deal of information about any product. Narrow it down to items that fit your needs & budget - walk into most any store & pick it up off the shelf.

Fine, unless you want to audition it against the competition, something the people serious about their music enjoyment are eager to do.

Quote:

It's not a want, just the reality of the US consumer market. At one time you could walk into ANY retail establishment & get service. Americans voted loud & long - give us price, screw service. Want has nothing to do with it, just the way it is.

No, the AVERAGE (and below) American voted loud and long, not a customer that anyone but Walmart will do well with in the long run.

Denon's sales have been doing better as they have moved into the larger retailers due to unit numbers but the average rcvr price has been dropping and the profit percentage made on each is suffering too, soon HTIB will look very attractive to them as that is what is selling more and more where they are.

Quote:

What's the choice? Be a boutique brand? Limit yourself to a tiny market? Stockholders will love that idea.

Well, Tweeter thought stockholders would appreciate going for the market share and more stores and more volume, but as ticket prices and margins started going down they realized they couldn't keep up with the the kings of mass market and now stockholders wished they HAD become a boutique brand.
Denon will face the same problems from the manufacturers side of the equation very soon.
Walmart likes to tell vendors what they have to sell stuff to them for and they go with the first manufacturer to agree to their terms, BB is starting to realize that they have to do the same and guess what, they don't care what's in the box or whos name is on it as long as it's the lowest price 42"/100wx7/satelitte speaker package , etc there is around.

Quote:

That is Bose for cetain, they don't want any comparision.

Neither do many other companies, they do better without it.

I think it would be generally more useful if everyone new to these forums is reminded that they are constantly being marketed to and pitched by people who post their affiliations and many others who do not. This is all part of marketing and advertising and you, the consumer, are the targets.
Noth...
post #111 of 401 Old 03-28-2007, 01:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:

Neither do many other companies, they do better without it.

I can think of a local HT shop/installation that purposely moved their shop into the same shopping plaza where a BB/Mag ht is located. He told me they get a lot of business from people who went into the Magnolia corner and decided they(sales people) didn't really know what they were doing, and/or were looking for better products than Mag was selling.
post #112 of 401 Old 03-28-2007, 02:39 PM
AVS Special Member

YOU ARE STILL GETTING THEIR CUSTOMERS, and they are better with their customers than you are...sure you may get some that are there but want more, but if they are serious, they will seek out better places anyway.
But maybe the market where he is will work with him in that idea, I wish him luck.

Noth...
post #113 of 401 Old 03-28-2007, 03:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by droht View Post

The real question to me is can ID attract the more casual customer who is way more comfortable in BB/CC or even Tweeter. No prior research, checks out a couple of options in person, talk to a sales guy for a few minutes then either buys on the spot or waits for a sale.

It is tough to attract that person to av123 or ascendacoustics or wherever.com. I am curious to see if some of the larger ID companies start to advertise in mainstream places in an attempt to draw these potential customers in.

I don't think ID is the way for most really high end purchases. Small boutiques can presumably generate enough profit dollars to easily offer exceptional services that are just hard to match on line.

I am curious to see if some of the larger ID companies start to advertise in mainstream places in an attempt to draw these potential customers in.

This one will NOT be doing that...

We've made some huge investments in design, manufacturing and QC/QA - this is where my money will be spent and we will continue to improve the only thing that counts in the end... THE PRODUCT...

If the product delivers on the promises... then the market will react... I just did a little get together in Seattle and I brought along a newer x-series design (x-sls in Palisander, Rosa with Satin and Diamond finishes to highlight the choices available) and the folks enjoyed seeing touching and feeling... That told me something important... I need to find a way where others can do the same easily...

The bridge to B+M is closer and closer (the part of B+M that I love --- the see me ~ touch me ~ feel me... notice please I did not say "listen to me" as I STILL feel doing THAT PART in your listening room is all that matters...) and I a believer that many of us that represent the ID part of equation are "getting it" even more...

There are many ID companies that simply do everything necessary for a good and well thought out decision to be made. Ascend, SVS, ACI to name a few...

This is a great moment to be an end user... While I DO lament the closing of many Tweeter stores... as I've said over and over --- Consolidation of the manufacturing end - and the retailing end will continue... By the end of 2007 you will see more proof of this than ever before...

All the best...

mls

Founder and President
av123 / Rocket Loudspeakers
Perpetual Technologies
post #114 of 401 Old 03-28-2007, 03:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex-amp View Post

While I don't know why you want them to go out of business. They are closing 2 stores here according to the Chron. business section. I'm surprised that is all since The Theater Home Store pretty well smokes them here in Houston for the same market segment IMO. Maybe Tweeter does enough car audio since The Home Theater Store doesn't do that?

Just a chip on my shoulder since I really enjoyed Home Entertainment that they purchased (years ago). I really mean no harm to the employees and their families.
post #115 of 401 Old 03-28-2007, 03:53 PM

what the hell is happening to our home audio stores? every time i look at the speaker threads,i see another bad news thread. are they loosing money? i haven't been up to the news lately.
post #116 of 401 Old 03-28-2007, 05:58 PM
wje
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bailey151 View Post

At one time you could walk into ANY retail establishment & get service. Americans voted loud & long - give us price, screw service. Want has nothing to do with it, just the way it is.

I find little truth in this statement. Most retail establishments have the same number of employees now as they always did. But, on the part of the employee, there is not a desire to learn about the items in detail so they can be of value. The objective of the employee seems to be only to put in their 8 hours, check out and head home ... and wait for the paycheck to arrive.

Frankly, the laziness of the common employee is a big factor in poor customer support. Do I blame the retailer? No. People just don't give a rat's ass anymore.

The only places that provide good customer service and support is where the proprietor is on site and providing service along with the other employees.
post #117 of 401 Old 03-28-2007, 06:06 PM
wje
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by droht View Post

The real question to me is can ID attract the more casual customer who is way more comfortable in BB/CC or even Tweeter. No prior research, checks out a couple of options in person, talk to a sales guy for a few minutes then either buys on the spot or waits for a sale.

It is tough to attract that person to av123 or ascendacoustics or wherever.com. I am curious to see if some of the larger ID companies start to advertise in mainstream places in an attempt to draw these potential customers in.

I don't think ID is the way for most really high end purchases. Small boutiques can presumably generate enough profit dollars to easily offer exceptional services that are just hard to match on line.

Well, with your example, let's look at Gateway. They were a mail-order only computer seller. Before Al Gore invented the Internet, you would have to look through a PC magazine for their ads and see the configurations of their computers and the respective prices. From there, you could call them up and place your order. However, a few years later, Gateway decides to open up a bunch of Country stores. There, you can go in, see and feel a model of the computer you'll be purchasing. In most cases, you'd place your order at their store and the process would begin. In other cases, they stocked some pre-built computers that they sold directly out of their Country stores. But, now, all of the Country stores have been shuttered.

The were ID, they blended into retail with their own stores, went back to ID and now Best Buy and others are finally selling their computers in their own stores.

Go figure.
post #118 of 401 Old 03-28-2007, 06:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I just did a little get together in Seattle and I brought along a newer x-series design (x-sls in Palisander, Rosa with Satin and Diamond finishes to highlight the choices available) and the folks enjoyed seeing touching and feeling... That told me something important... I need to find a way where others can do the same easily...

The Bose Road Show did very well.

Quote:

The bridge to B+M is closer and closer (the part of B+M that I love --- the see me ~ touch me ~ feel me... notice please I did not say "listen to me" as I STILL feel doing THAT PART in your listening room is all that matters...) and I a believer that many of us that represent the ID part of equation are "getting it" even more...

If you can demo a speaker for me so that it sounds great, I'll get the room to the point where I can get that back out of it. If the room sucks, fix the room, and don't buy a speaker as a room EQ device. Rooms change, furnishings and decor moves about, etc. Most buy speakers as a long term, durable good and they will use the same set of speakers in many differant set-ups andf environments. Listening in your room could suck, if your room does.

Quote:

on the part of the employee, there is not a desire to learn about the items in detail so they can be of value. The objective of the employee seems to be only to put in their 8 hours, check out and head home ... and wait for the paycheck to arrive.

Frankly, the laziness of the common employee is a big factor in poor customer support. Do I blame the retailer? No. People just don't give a rat's ass anymore.

Pay him based on performance (commision) and you see that change a great deal.
If there is a direct impact that can be had by him improving his performance, he will do so.
We , in this country, keep paying the workers less and less and expecting more and more out of them.

Noth...
post #119 of 401 Old 03-28-2007, 06:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Pay him based on performance (commision) and you see that change a great deal.
If there is a direct impact that can be had by him improving his performance, he will do so.

Yeah, then he has an incentive to give you a line of crap, some lies, half-truths and the like whose sole purpose is to not get you to go down the street and sample the other guy's wares but to buy from him. Been there, done that.

Tony

Hometown team
post #120 of 401 Old 03-28-2007, 06:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The Bose Road Show did very well.

If you can demo a speaker for me so that it sounds great, I'll get the room to the point where I can get that back out of it. If the room sucks, fix the room, and don't buy a speaker as a room EQ device. Rooms change, furnishings and decor moves about, etc. Most buy speakers as a long term, durable good and they will use the same set of speakers in many differant set-ups andf environments. Listening in your room could suck, if your room does.

Agreed on part one for sure...

Part two... you and I both know that there are also many poor listening rooms in audio stores also... I still like being able to "discover" what it is you have purchased AFTER removing the variable of how it (the whatever) will perform in your room - especially so for speakers...

All the best...

ls

Founder and President
av123 / Rocket Loudspeakers
Perpetual Technologies
Closed Thread Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page