Closed Thread

post #1 of 401 Old 03-22-2007, 07:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Alright guys.

Another big blow to the industry. Sign of the times I guess. Goodguys, Compusa, now Tweeter.

All 12 California stores, mostly in San Diego will be closing! I will let you all read the article.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070322/...iEc7CRp4bMWM0F

Interesting times for us all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 401 Old 03-22-2007, 08:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Hopefully Houston is next.
post #3 of 401 Old 03-22-2007, 08:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
One third of their stores are closing across the country , but mostly in clusters or cells so they can remove warehousing and support costs in those areas as well to save money....credit terms will soon plague them...... rearranging the deck chairs. If Sandy and Joe won't Pony up their own money to buy it back (semi-private) there will be no one else who could. There are some stores in select markets that do astonishingly well because these select markets still have a middle class clientel who wants a bit more that the BB, CC, and Walmart offer them.
I wonder if this will keep them afloat through another holiday season, but with the disasterous one they just had, I don't know it would matter much.

Quote:
Maybe someday in the future we will be able to quantify perceived Sound Quality .
(But not today....)

Earl Geddes Ph.D.
post #4 of 401 Old 03-22-2007, 08:30 PM
Advanced Member

I heard that what is really killing Tweeter is all the people who just go in to demo but have no intention of actually buying anything......
post #5 of 401 Old 03-22-2007, 08:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I heard that what is really killing Tweeter is all the people who just go in to demo but have no intention of actually buying anything......

The Tweeter term for them is "CATFISH", as in bottomfeeders (or so the tweeties mean), and the guys there say they are plagued with them do to the nature of their advertising and sales model and the fact that Tweeter can actually give something of a demo, unlike BB and CC. Tweeter has never learned to stop chasing the "loyal only to price" customers.

Quote:
Maybe someday in the future we will be able to quantify perceived Sound Quality .
(But not today....)

Earl Geddes Ph.D.
post #6 of 401 Old 03-22-2007, 09:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by droht View Post

Thats why most specialty retailers are changing to appointment-only. Lovely industry aint it?
post #7 of 401 Old 03-22-2007, 09:06 PM
wje
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Possibly so. But, I'd also like to see something a little different from Tweeter. We now have the option of buying Denon receivers from Tweeter, Circuit City, Best Buy (mini Magnolia) and even the mom 'n pop shops. Sadly, the first 4 establishments I listed, all sell at MSRP. What incentive is there for me to purchase there? Also, they've pretty much all offered a "canned" method for selling home theater systems. I have nothing against buying gear at MSRP. I do have a lot against my money lining the pockets of some executive (read: Best Buy min-Mags). I'd much rather see the locally grown retailers profit. If not that, I'd bypass the large, big-box stores and head directly for Internet Direct vendors.
post #8 of 401 Old 03-22-2007, 09:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

and even the mom 'n pop shops.....
I'd much rather see the locally grown retailers profit. If not that, I'd bypass the large, big-box stores and head directly for Internet Direct vendors.

I would hope the Mom and Pops in your area offer better customer service and better demoing conditions and facilities than all the others listed.

Quote:
(But not today....)

Earl Geddes Ph.D.
post #9 of 401 Old 03-22-2007, 09:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
I am not sure I am grasping this, by "mom and pop" are you referring to non chained, local high end stores? Or trashy looking shops run people who haven't stepped outside their doors in 20 years. For me, I consider my local guitar center a shining beacon of hope for audio retail. I have been purchasing quite a bit of stuff there and the dealers know me on a first name basis and bend over backwards to get me what I need. My recent experiences at high end retailers have been nothing short of miserable, even when I went in with the intention of buying.
post #10 of 401 Old 03-23-2007, 12:27 AM

hey guys,

I work for tweeter and just wanted to say thanks for those who have supported us. Unfortuantly my store was one of the profitable ones but cant keep a whole DC open for one or 2 stores in CA. And yes it sad to see the BB and CC take over the industry with there "home theater in a box systems." Online pricing is just taking over a lot of the business.
post #11 of 401 Old 03-23-2007, 12:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshtin92672 View Post

it sad to see the BB and CC take over the industry with there "home theater in a box systems."

exactly, just big, blue & yellow, un-organized, "trash bins" of stupidity.
post #12 of 401 Old 03-23-2007, 01:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshtin92672 View Post

hey guys,

I work for tweeter and just wanted to say thanks for those who have supported us. Unfortuantly my store was one of the profitable ones but cant keep a whole DC open for one or 2 stores in CA. And yes it sad to see the BB and CC take over the industry with there "home theater in a box systems." Online pricing is just taking over a lot of the business.

Which store did you work at?
post #13 of 401 Old 03-23-2007, 02:23 AM
wje
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by armystud0911 View Post

I am not sure I am grasping this, by "mom and pop" are you referring to non chained, local high end stores? Or trashy looking shops run people who haven't stepped outside their doors in 20 years. For me, I consider my local guitar center a shining beacon of hope for audio retail. I have been purchasing quite a bit of stuff there and the dealers know me on a first name basis and bend over backwards to get me what I need. My recent experiences at high end retailers have been nothing short of miserable, even when I went in with the intention of buying.

By mom 'n pop shops, I meant audio stores that are single stores and locally owned.
post #14 of 401 Old 03-23-2007, 02:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schadenfreude View Post

Tweeter has never learned to stop chasing the "loyal only to price" customers.

I personally feel that this segment of the market is growing rapidly while the customer who values better service etc is shrinking rapidly.
post #15 of 401 Old 03-23-2007, 02:39 AM
wje
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by the rick View Post

I personally feel that this segment of the market is growing rapidly while the customer who values better service etc is shrinking rapidly.

Loyalty has changed greatly over the past 10, 15, 20 years. Instead, convenience has been playing a larger part. I just can't for the life of me, see what's so convenient with a big box retailer - that is, unless, you love going down one aisle, getting a DVD player, then a receiver a few aisles over and finally a couple of CDs before heading to the checkout. For me, that method of shopping works when I buy food, not when I buy audio.
post #16 of 401 Old 03-23-2007, 03:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Kidding...sarcasm...work with me people.

The Tweeter near my home is not a bad place, definitely somewhere between BB and a good mom n pop. I've talked to a couple of salespeople there who seemed pretty knowledgeable, and one who said that is you spend less than $5000 on a projector all you are getting is something made for business presentations not watching movies. They are clearly in a tough spot though, getting beaten up from below by the big boxers and not offering the value of a good mom n pop.
post #17 of 401 Old 03-23-2007, 04:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 49
They are closing the "original" location on Comm. Ave. in Boston near BU, too - where I bought my first real speakers and system, not sure if they had other locations then - and some other NE stores.

Funny, though, looking at the numbers on the speakers not too long ago reminded me of the salesman being a bit of a jerk. He made a point of giving me non-consecutive serial number speakers because he'd given me a little discount on my whole system. So he went and got xxxxx50 and xxxxx53 - you know he had 51 and 52, too - which made it like some mismatched mattress sale. Didn't exactly breed loyalty.

But I still have the speakers and the amp, retired not too long ago and awaiting some repairs. So I did get my money's worth - even close to MSRP, the best deal I ever got on speakers, probably, because I enjoyed them for so long.

PS Business Week story
post #18 of 401 Old 03-23-2007, 06:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I am not sure I am grasping this, by "mom and pop" are you referring to non chained, local high end stores? Or trashy looking shops run people who haven't stepped outside their doors in 20 years.

Both, but hopefully the former more often.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schadenfreude
Tweeter has never learned to stop chasing the "loyal only to price" customers.

All the really successful dealers across the country (including the last couple I've worked for), have been doing better and better by moving more upscale and offering more service and stepping off of John Q. Walmart. AS people see the polarization of the low and hi-end and the death of the middle, they usually have no trouble figuring out on which side they want to be. But , the problem is that those with limited funds or a predisposition to thinking of value in a bottom dollar kind of way, they are getting lumped in with those that have no (or little) interest in this hobby or exploring to the discover best product . So that end of the market is being driven by price cheap gear attractively and too few of them will care enough to audition.

I don't want to be a WALMART shopper, but for some things I am, I just don't go there for this kind of product. More and more are getting very involved in this hobby and are coming to that conclusion as well.

Quote:
(But not today....)

Earl Geddes Ph.D.
post #19 of 401 Old 03-23-2007, 06:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I don't want to be a WALMART shopper, but for some things I am, I just don't go there for this kind of product. More and more are getting very involved in this hobby and are coming to that conclusion as well.

IMHO, if you are giving $ to Wal*Mart, for audio or whatever, then you are part of the problem. They work on scale and leverage; buying anything from them hurts all the "mom n pops" to some degree.
post #20 of 401 Old 03-23-2007, 06:45 AM
Advanced Member

I have been bottom feeding for electronics at Tweeter for a long time. One aspect of their stores that has kept me going back is that they have really poor computer systems and inventory management (the systems would have been state of the art 20 years ago).

I just find what I want, wait for the next model then start checking back periodically until the stuff gets marked down below cost then buy it. I got my Pioneer Elite VSX-56Txi for $688 last year (6 months after the 74 took its place), My Sony DHG-HDD500 for $249 (they had never set them up to be demoed, who would buy it if they don't see it working). I do want them to be around for more bottom feeding so I do buy cables and warranties from them (only on the Sony DVR since the thing is about as reliable as a Yugo) they are underwritten so I don't worry too much about the warranties. Buying those things is like buying wine, beer or soda in a restaurant very high markup, most of the profit, but it is relatively small change (I don't buy esoteric stuff, its a total waste).

The middle part of the business is on E-Bay or Audiogon and through installers.

The independent installers/authorized dealers will sell equipment for peanuts (they usually work out of their homes). A friend of mine just bought a bunch of stuff from one and met him at a rest stop on a highway to pick up the goods (sort of like a drug deal).

The big box retailers sell to the naive, their goods are commodities, the manufacturers will eventually figure it out and start releasing their whole lines for internet sales then watch for the shakeout of manufacturers to get even more intense.

I just don't see enough of a market for Tweeter or its ilk to survive. Going up market is not going to work because the good, motivated installers work independently and will sell for a small margin in the hopes of selling services as well, not for a small paycheck and piddling commissions on low margin equipment.
post #21 of 401 Old 03-23-2007, 06:57 AM
wje
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swestbom View Post

I just don't see enough of a market for Tweeter or its ilk to survive. Going up market is not going to work because the good, motivated installers work independently and will sell for a small margin in the hopes of selling services as well, not for a small paycheck and piddling commissions on low margin equipment.

Exactly. I do realize Tweeter has their own installation division. But, what, they have like one or two vans for each store? Another local electronics retailer, that is a joy shop at, has 15+ vans in their lot on the weekends. They also have contracts with a lot of builders where they offer packages in new home sales. Is Tweeter doing this, or, are they just trying to install the one-offs as people come in and ask for the services?
post #22 of 401 Old 03-23-2007, 07:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzy_ View Post

They are closing the "original" location on Comm. Ave. in Boston near BU, too -

I read that and it's not quite right. The original Tweeter was around the corner on Amory Street: I know, my uncle delivered fuel oil to it 35 years ago and as a kid on break I'd sometimes help him pull the hose. I remember buying a number of things there, including a pair of EPI 201s.

Tony

In search of the Holy Grail.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #23 of 401 Old 03-23-2007, 07:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

We all make our choices: I NEVER shop at Walmart.

Tony

In search of the Holy Grail.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #24 of 401 Old 03-23-2007, 07:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Well,
For the people who don't want to spend alot of money they shop an a generic electronics store (or shop online or look at classifieds).
For people who do have the money for something new or to shop at a tweeter/sound advice they are going to an installer for a package in the form of a one-stop shop. Locally this is what sound advice is advertising themselves as - an installer with a store, not a store with an installer in order to compete with the large installers especially since those large installers get alot of deals from developers for 150 turnkey systems etc.).
People don't demo because they don't care. They just want good sound and they don't want to have to deal with wires and acoustics.

Seth

< -- While that looks simple enough, click it for answers to many a question.
post #25 of 401 Old 03-23-2007, 07:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Kidding...sarcasm...work with me people.

The Tweeter near my home is not a bad place, definitely somewhere between BB and a good mom n pop. I've talked to a couple of salespeople there who seemed pretty knowledgeable, and one who said that is you spend less than $5000 on a projector all you are getting is something made for business presentations not watching movies. .

Total ******** BTW.

Tweeter, whom I am extremely familiar with just got squeezed right in the middle of big Boxes, Internet and Mom and Pop. Each of the three just nibbled away at them in an already tough segment. They were not appealing to the lemmings who want the BB/CC experience and I think not offering enough to the high end customer who at that point wants to deal with a small shop who will give him more personal service. Throw in the internet and you have a chain in trouble.
post #26 of 401 Old 03-23-2007, 09:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 49
You know, the name calling - "lemmings" - and bashing is really uncalled for. I think it's great that the average person can get audio they'll be very happy with from a chain store at a relatively low price, if they're a little careful about doing a little research. Think of all the real junk that used to be out there in "department stores" and so on.

Sure, part of it is that Americans are all so price driven. Our behavior is (as people have pointed out) squeezing everything into the two ends of the market - super expensive and price driven.

But part of the reason companies like this shrink or vanish - and it's happened in a lot of businesses - is that companies like Tweeter aren't delivering the value to customers. If someone with $2-3000 to spend on a system could go into a Tweeter and get treated well and walk out with the right gear, they could sell to those people and maybe see them again the next time. They're not set up to sell to the broader market, even the middle.

Anyway, all Tweeter is doing is facing the reality that exists in the shops - they aren't really a retail store that can deal with middle market buyers - and facing reality is always a good thing.
post #27 of 401 Old 03-23-2007, 09:23 AM
wje
AVS Special Member

Quote:

But part of the reason companies like this shrink or vanish - and it's happened in a lot of businesses - is that companies like Tweeter aren't delivering the value to customers. If someone with $2-3000 to spend on a system could go into a Tweeter and get treated well and walk out with the right gear, they could sell to those people and maybe see them again the next time. They're not set up to sell to the broader market, even the middle.

Tweeter has had "package" systems for quite a long time. Usually, they were just advertised in their in-store flyers. However, about a year ago, they consolidated their two receiver/speaker rooms into one and the 2nd room was converted to a "package" room where people could see and hear the actual components grouped together that were to be sold as a package.
post #28 of 401 Old 03-23-2007, 09:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You know, the name calling - "lemmings" - and bashing is really uncalled for. .

Wow! You are one PC mofo. Where did I bash anything or anyone? Lemmings? Did I hurt your feelings with that one? Do you even know what a lemming is?

Its pretty much common knowledge that the majority of the people who are seeking the BB/CC experience probably don't care about the difference between high end gear and regular gear. They probably don't look at AV as a hobby. They like the glam of the store and like that they can get everything at one place. They are not the Tweeter customer (for the most part) and want something that will do the job.

Remember what site we are on here.

Anyway, what part of my post was inflammatory or was bashing anyone in particular? The people who go to BB and Buy Bose because they think it is the best (without auditioning/ assessing their needs, etc.) are lemmings. It is common knowledge here and undisputable. Why do you take such offense to it? Do you work at BB/CC?

This board and some members are really getting carried away with the BS. I think there is certainly some unneeded bashing, trolling, and agendas here but some of you have gone so left wing its ridiculous. It really makes the board sterile when every little comment about anyone is scrutinized because we don't want to "offend" anyone.

Who would have thought "lemmings" was such an insult? Next we wont be able to say we don't like a product for fear the manufacturer might sue the board. Or we might hurt someones feelings because they own the said product.
post #29 of 401 Old 03-23-2007, 09:43 AM

I think we are all overlooing another reason for why the internet has changed things. Back in the day before internet forums such as this, guys like me would go into a tweeter seeking expert advice. I don't trust tweeter, bby, or walmart employees enough to just take their word on something expensive I purchase. I do my research online, and by the time I go into the store I have a pretty good idea what items I would like to buy. Why wouldn't I go to the place where I could test it out and get it the cheapest. I don't need the extra attention from a sales person, so why pay a premium for it. I just want to walk into a store and look at what I have researched online. All the sales people have to do is show me where it is, let me play with it, and take my money.
post #30 of 401 Old 03-23-2007, 09:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruins29 View Post

Wow! You are one PC mofo. Where did I bash anything or anyone? Lemmings? Did I hurt your feelings with that one? Do you even know what a lemming is?

Its pretty much common knowledge that the majority of the people who are seeking the BB/CC experience probably don't care about the difference between high end gear and regular gear. They probably don't look at AV as a hobby. They like the glam of the store and like that they can get everything at one place. They are not the Tweeter customer (for the most part) and want something that will do the job.

Remember what site we are on here.

Anyway, what part of my post was inflammatory or was bashing anyone in particular? The people who go to BB and Buy Bose because they think it is the best (without auditioning/ assessing their needs, etc.) are lemmings. It is common knowledge here and undisputable. Why do you take such offense to it? Do you work at BB/CC?

This board and some members are really getting carried away with the BS. I think there is certainly some unneeded bashing, trolling, and agendas here but some of you have gone so left wing its ridiculous. It really makes the board sterile when every little comment about anyone is scrutinized because we don't want to "offend" anyone.

Who would have thought "lemmings" was such an insult? Next we wont be able to say we don't like a product for fear the manufacturer might sue the board. Or we might hurt someones feelings because they own the said product.

I wasn't offended by what you said. I'm not sure what buzzy read into it.

I lived close to a Tweeter's store when I lived in NJ. I went there several times but never bought anything b/c of a combination of products, prices, and not great customer service. Also, they were pushing Bose way too much.

Procrastination is the thief of time.
-- Edward Young

They that give up essential liberty to obtain a little
temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety.

-- Benjamin Franklin

You shouldn't mix meditation with management.
The mind gets too empty.

-- Scott Adams, "Dilbert"
Closed Thread Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page