AVS Forum banner

Musically tuned Speakers-New Trend.

11K views 165 replies 31 participants last post by  Alimentall 
#1 ·
Has anyone actually listened to one of these new tuned, resonating, undamped speakers?

I counted at least 4 companies making newly designed models. Onkyo being the biggest.

#3 ·
The concept of a loudspeaker as an instrument is not new, but it is a flawed concept. An instrument produces sound, and resonance and harmonics are a significant part of that sound. Speakers reproduce sound, and they should be dead as a brick as not to add anything to the source signal.

#7 ·
I dunno,

It looks like a trend to me.

Bosendorfer $9000 to $20,000

Micropure Kotaro $3100

Ocellia $to be determined

Onkyo guitar speaker $2000

Didn't Harbeth do a speaker like this?

That ain't chump change friends. I think these folks could easily make an innert/dead box for a lot less money. There appears to be a great deal of thought and tuning involved in the cabinet bracing and materials.

Listening to a Bosendorfer piano VS a Steinway is night and day. They are both pianos and they both have hammers hitting strings to generate sound.

#8 ·

Quote:
There appears to be a great deal of thought and tuning involved in the cabinet bracing and materials.

No, there certainly is no intelligent thought involved. There is a great deal of preying on stupidity and ignorance and milking people for their money.

Quote:
Listening to a Bosendorfer piano VS a Steinway is night and day. They are both pianos and they both have hammers hitting strings to generate sound.

That's because they are instruments used to MAKE sound. Speakers are not instruments, they are tools to accurately reproduce a sonic event.

Resonating speaker cabinets as if they were an instrument has always been a completely ridiculous idea, and continues to be a load of horse manure. No competent engineer would ever put their name to such an inane and fundamentally flawed design theory because it completely eschews any hope of accuracy or quality.

Why would you want your speaker making everything have the resonances of a violin or a piano?

Trend or not, it's stupid.

American Idol is also a trend. The Backstreet Boys and the Spice Girls were a trend. Do you also want all your music to sound like that? Gwen Stefani is a trend. And this idea is also BANANAS.

Stupid.

#14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by allsop4now /forum/post/0

The tube amplifiers distortions seems to be pleasing and a sign of "high-end" to some. I wonder when a DSP program called "tube" will be added to a receiver.

Actually you can get that on most computer-based recording systems. Of course, there you use it to simulate a guitar amp or an old mixing console so there's a good reason for it.

#15 ·
I think the comparison to tube amps is actually perfect to those of us who have been following high end audio for the last 25 years.

The Lamm springs to mind. Cary audio. Audio Research. Wavac. BAT. etc etc.

Class A solid state. You weren't even in the game in the early 80's if you weren't class A. Tubes? I seen a few on my grandma's Victrola. Ya got ta be crazy to make an amp out a them!

"Tube amps? Bah, what a mockery of distortion and poor engineering. Simply cannot sound good."

Look at tubes now. Even the Ipod can be tubed! How ironic is that??????

How can any of you bash a new concept if you haven't heard it?

Why would Onkyo, a rather large company, waste development dollars on a bad concept?

#16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by twenty/twenty /forum/post/0

I dunno,

It looks like a trend to me.

Bosendorfer $9000 to $20,000

Micropure Kotaro $3100

Ocellia $to be determined

Onkyo guitar speaker $2000

Didn't Harbeth do a speaker like this?

Well, I have heard 2 from this list and they sound as one would expect, euphonically but obviously colored.

#18 ·

Quote:

Why would Onkyo, a rather large company, waste development dollars on a bad concept?

Because people are willing to part with their money for it, and companies exploit that?

On this very forum (ironic, isn't it?) there is a new thread about bi-wiring loudspeakers, and there are some (well, mostly one) proselyting the benefits of bi-wiring. Utter non-sense, but still this question regularly pop up due in no little part to some fraudulent manufacturers marketing and some audio magazines not calling bi-wire for what it is.

#19 ·
Allsop,

I know all about biwire, triwire, bi amp, tri amp, active speakers, active crossovers, Nordost, Kimber Kable, Beryllium, Diamond, kevlar, Western Electric, MDF, etc, etc.

Even if Onkyo sells out the guitar speaker, it will be a loss for them, I'm thinking.

Kal,

Care to elaborate? Euphonically colored is just what the tube amp naysayers used to say.

#20 ·

Quote:

Care to elaborate? Euphonically colored is just what the tube amp naysayers used to say.

Not really since they were manufacturer's demos in unfamiliar surroundings. However, neither inspired any interest in hearing more since they imparted distinct characteristics which were uniform, regardless of the musical source. And tubes were used in one of the demos.

BTW, I have nothing against tubes.

#23 ·

Quote:

Euphonically colored is just what the tube amp naysayers used to say.

I like tubes and I still say they're euphonic. I like them at times, but then just want to get back to reality.

#24 ·
Ah, see

Ta Da bomber is a perfect candidate for one of the new musical speaker designs.

Open minded folks embrace color, flow, body, euphonia. Accuracy does not always equal enjoyment.

Do any of you enjoy music more after a glass of red wine? Is your hearing more accurate after a glass?

#26 ·

Quote:

Ah, see

Ta Da bomber is a perfect candidate for one of the new musical speaker designs.

Open minded folks embrace color, flow, body, euphonia. Accuracy does not always equal enjoyment.

Do any of you enjoy music more after a glass of red wine? Is your hearing more accurate after a glass?

Da'Bomb thinks accuracy doesent have to sound harsh,but hey thats my thoughs others mileage may vary.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.