post #271 of 3085 Old 07-23-2008, 01:04 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ese View Post

T-3G:

Have you decided on the Hadyn Grands vs. Waltz Grands yet?

Ese,

I went ahead and listened to both the Haydn Grand and the Waltz Grand. I preferred the sound of the Waltz Grand over the Haydn Grand. I listen to classical 99% of the time, and while the Haydn Grand had more low-end volume it sounded boomy. Maybe because it was placed against the wall, or maybe it's just how the Haydn Grand sounds. The Waltz Grand, on the other hand, had more controlled low-end and much bigger sound stage. Since I'm going to use the Waltz Grand for my rear surround effect for SACD multi-channel, the ambient effect/bigger sound stage is more important than the low-end volume.

Now that the selection for the rear speakers is out of the way, I'm debating which subwoofer to get. My first choice is the REL R-305, but I'm open to suggestions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 3085 Old 07-23-2008, 10:31 AM
Ese
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by inhertenderlips View Post

For all of the Vienna lovers/ owners out there, what amps have you paired with your VA speakers? I have my amp picked out, but was curious about what you guys are using.

See my post #247 in this forum.
post #273 of 3085 Old 07-23-2008, 11:43 AM

Liked: 10
Hi Guys,

I thought that I'd check in again. Thanks for your warm responses to my reply!

On the subject of amplification:

Any high quality, high current amplifier will do. They will ALL sound different, so be selective and go LISTEN (most important). Most receivers above about the $1500 +/- area will do. BUT, if you have not heard a higher quality amp, like Primare for instance, you have not really heard what a Vienna can do.

I do want to assure you that a receiver is a great place to start, particularly if you want to spend more on speakers initially. One of the many virtues of VA is their ease of amplifier matching. I have seen a trend of receiver owners added larger multi-channel power amps to existing receivers. An example would be a Denon AVR-3808 or Pioneer Elite VSX-94 with a Primare A30.5. This is a great first step on the upgrade path! The obvious added benefit is all of the connectivity that a modern Japanese receivers offer. I do stress though that a high-end pre-amp/processor is a very worthy further upgrade, particularly now that HDMI 1.3 equipped units are slowly hitting the market.

Any VA speaker will allow you to hear each and every one of these upgrades. Its the beauty of having selected a very high quality speaker to start with.

As to the 4/8 ohm question: most larger receivers will not have a problem driving a 4 ohm load. I DO NOT recommend using the '6 ohm output' option provided on many of these pieces. This seems to severely diminish ANY speakers performance by dramatically restricting the amount of current the amps can output. Many (most, I would say) high-end speakers nowadays are rated at 4 ohms, but are more impedance stable than speakers built even twenty years ago. This switch or setting is in place only for UL Heat Dissipation Requirements, and should not be used unless the receiver will be in a very confined environment.

One of the benefits of a larger multi-channels amount is the ability to maintain full power capability with all speakers driver. The Primare A30.5 is, for example, a true quintuple-mono amplifier, meaning each channel is fully discrete from transformer to output. Very cool! In comparison with a Japanese receiver, you can see (and hear!) the benefits. In a fairly recent review of major brand name receiver factory rated at 140 WPC (who shall remain unnamed), it barely mustered 85 watts with all channels driven on the test bench. At the end of the day, consumers should be aware that most mass market manufacturers will be very optimistic with the power capabilities of their product. Big numbers sell... Suddenly the 120 WPC Primare is a real powerhouse!

For those experiencing a VA speaker on a switching system will here the sonic degradation of the switcher. This is not related to the capability of the receivers ability to drive a 4 ohm load. Remember that all of the speakers and receivers on a switcher are effected. Some speakers, like those with powered woofers, are less effected because they are not subject to the current restriction that limits the bass of a non-powered (passive) speaker. Also, if you switch between speakers without first adjusting volume, you will listening to the differences in efficiency, and NOT SOUND QUALITY. A 100dB efficient speaker will play much louder than a 90dB efficient model. If you take that into account, you can still have an enjoyable listening experience!

This is not a shameless plug for Primare, by the way. There are many companies out there that produce excellent product, including Arcam, Rotel, McIntosh, Krell, and Audio Research. The list goes on and on. Don't be afraid to go out there and listen!

Most importantly, have fun! I've met many great people at hi-fi stores around the country through the years, and have had many amazing experiences.

Thanks again guys for letting me ramble a bit!

d.
post #274 of 3085 Old 07-23-2008, 11:57 AM

Hi T-3G,

I might suggest the R505, instead of the R305. Its better matched to the Beethoven Concert Grand's sonic characteristics. It will be worth the extra $400.

Remember to get it hookup up high-level and LFE at the same time. It will sound better that way.

Cheers!

d.
post #275 of 3085 Old 07-23-2008, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigred7078 View Post

my apologies to all on the magnolia situation, i was given the wrong info, but thought i would share it anyway, thats what forums are for. Thanks for the clarification Dave Carr.

Peakrunner, what did you find different with your audition at the stand alone retailer? I hate how integrated receivers not even rated for 4ohms are used to drive the Mozart Grands. What differences did you notice? Thanks

Thanks for your inquiry, I would say Dave has sum'd up some of the more common issues with the switchers and amplifers impact. I will say at least from my experience with our local Magnolia store it would be hard for any "Big Box" store to properly demo a quality speaker like VA or any speaker by just packing them side by side into a large room.

The independent retailer that I visited was able to have quality amps (Jeff Roland, Primare, etc.) with excellent cabling and implemented the Sumiko STAR setup which I think was the greatest impact on sound. To really maximize the speakers effectiveness they really should be setup correctly. Now I now there's always going to be a debate on how this should be done but the STAR setup appears to be a solid.
post #276 of 3085 Old 07-23-2008, 05:50 PM

Dave Carr, you are the man. Let's do lunch if you are ever in the DC area. My question on the amps was not to look for personal suggestions, just wanted to see what other's have decided on. So keep posting what amp you are pushing. To add to this, I will be using a Yamaha 1800, and then it will be a halo parasound amp, or cambridge, but I'm still demo'ing. If it happens soon, I'll let you all know.
post #277 of 3085 Old 07-24-2008, 01:02 AM
AVS Special Member

So does anyone use Viennas in a HT enviroment?

I listened to them at a Magnolia and they sounded pretty good, but often times the center channel (maestro grand) had a muffled boxy type of sound. Can anyone who owns this center give me your thoughts? And am i crazy or has anyone else thought the same thing when demoed at a magnolia. I'm convinced its due to the 4ohm rating being driven my integrated receivers. Is it to close to the wall? Owners opinions please!

And how about HT performance in general with say a pair of Mozart Grands?
post #278 of 3085 Old 07-24-2008, 01:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Dave Carr-

what color exactly is the Rosewood Finish??? Every picture i see of them looks different. some are very red like this....

others are just more brown. Any insight into this?
post #279 of 3085 Old 07-24-2008, 08:34 AM

Quote:

I listened to them at a Magnolia and they sounded pretty good, but often times the center channel (maestro grand) had a muffled boxy type of sound. Can anyone who owns this center give me your thoughts?

I just bought the Maestro Grand paired with the Beethoven Concert Grand that I use exclusively for music (SACD multichannel) and am happy with it. I do have it about 2 feet away from the wall. Try standing against the wall and talk; now, move away 2 feet from the wall and do the same thing. Hear the difference in voice? Your speakers will do the same. If the Maestro Grand is placed against the wall, it could sound muffled.

It also depends on how the sound is recorded. Some SACD's doesn't use the center that much, while others, such as Pentatone label uses the center a lot.
post #280 of 3085 Old 07-24-2008, 08:37 AM

Quote:

Dave Carr-

what color exactly is the Rosewood Finish??? Every picture i see of them looks different. some are very red like this....

others are just more brown. Any insight into this?

In real world, unless you have it right next to the bright window it won't look like that. In general, it will look much darker, almost like black especially if your listening room is some what dark.
post #281 of 3085 Old 07-24-2008, 09:28 AM

Quote:

Dave Carr, you are the man. Let's do lunch if you are ever in the DC area. My question on the amps was not to look for personal suggestions, just wanted to see what other's have decided on. So keep posting what amp you are pushing. To add to this, I will be using a Yamaha 1800, and then it will be a halo parasound amp, or cambridge, but I'm still demo'ing. If it happens soon, I'll let you all know.

I've been using a Rotel RMB-1075 and have been pleased with it's performance.
post #282 of 3085 Old 07-24-2008, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-3G View Post

In real world, unless you have it right next to the bright window it won't look like that. In general, it will look much darker, almost like black especially if your listening room is some what dark.

If found that colors online are greatly deceiving. Depending on the camera, photog, your monitor settings..etc. I have seen many of the VA speakers in Rosewood and I have to say it is the most stunning finish. The red is typically dark and rich.
post #283 of 3085 Old 07-24-2008, 10:13 AM
AVS Special Member

cool thanks for the feedback guys.

And in response to the center channel. I realize it being farther away will help, but i dont belive its rear firing so it shouldnt matter so much should it? And does it sound very realistic to anyone? I just have a hard time gauging what it really sounds like, i cant get that muffled cheap sound out of my head...Are all the owners of the Maestro Grand center, happy owners?
post #284 of 3085 Old 07-24-2008, 10:16 AM

Quote:

cool thanks for the feedback guys.

And in response to the center channel. I realize it being farther away will help, but i dont belive its rear firing so it shouldnt matter so much should it? And does it sound very realistic to anyone? I just have a hard time gauging what it really sounds like, i cant get that muffled cheap sound out of my head...Are all the owners of the Maestro Grand center, happy owners?

Yeah, I'm very happy.
post #285 of 3085 Old 07-24-2008, 02:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

For all of the Vienna lovers/ owners out there, what amps have you paired with your VA speakers? I have my amp picked out, but was curious about what you guys are using.

I'm using Parasound Halo gear myself (P3 and A23).

Very pleased with the results so far. I have to admit, though, I didn't extensively comparison shop--I bought the Parasound gear because it was well-reviewed and had the features, looks, and price that I wanted.
post #286 of 3085 Old 07-24-2008, 02:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Carr View Post

Hi Guys,

I thought that I'd check in again. Thanks for your warm responses to my reply!

On the subject of amplification:

(highly interesting and informative essay on speaker amplification follows...)

Thank you for participating in this thread, Dave! I really appreciate your expert's view.
post #287 of 3085 Old 07-29-2008, 09:21 PM
Ese
Advanced Member

Quote:

Ese,

I went ahead and listened to both the Haydn Grand and the Waltz Grand. I preferred the sound of the Waltz Grand over the Haydn Grand. I listen to classical 99% of the time, and while the Haydn Grand had more low-end volume it sounded boomy. Maybe because it was placed against the wall, or maybe it's just how the Haydn Grand sounds. The Waltz Grand, on the other hand, had more controlled low-end and much bigger sound stage. Since I'm going to use the Waltz Grand for my rear surround effect for SACD multi-channel, the ambient effect/bigger sound stage is more important than the low-end volume.

Now that the selection for the rear speakers is out of the way, I'm debating which subwoofer to get. My first choice is the REL R-305, but I'm open to suggestions.

T-3G:

RE: subwoofers. I strongly urge you to give the JL Audio fathom series serious consideration. You have the top speaker in the Vienna Grand series and, based upon your posts, you have committed serious time and $$$ to your system.

I just finished up my search for a sub after many months. Long story short, did a lot of listening, a lot of demo'ing (in house/in retailer). Early in the search looked at REL and wanted REL (seemed like a natural match with the Vienna's) but could never get really comfortable with the product. I gave serious consideration to the T series and the R series.

During my search, came across the fathom line of subs. Initially thought they were too out there and too much for me. But over time realized that they were a very special sub and would look quite nice with my Viennas. Saved my $$$. Did my shopping. Finally purchased the fathom f112 last Friday. Plugged the power cord in, attached the LFE cable, completed the bass management settings with the Denon receiver. Voila! Totally blown away. Right out of the box the sub was enhancing movies with the low extension and music with its musicality.

One thing I found out in this hobby, T-3G, is that there is no right choice and there is no wrong choice. There is only the choice that makes you happy. Meaning, you may listen to the fathoms and wonder what the heck I was smoking to recommend them. Could happen. But, after making such a commitment to buy the Beethovens and searching to decide on the Waltzes and buying the Maestro. Then, just find a dealer or another hobbyist with the fathoms and go listen to them.

Ese out.
post #288 of 3085 Old 07-31-2008, 09:35 PM
Ese
Advanced Member

Quote:

I listened to them at a Magnolia and they sounded pretty good, but often times the center channel (maestro grand) had a muffled boxy type of sound. Can anyone who owns this center give me your thoughts? And am i crazy or has anyone else thought the same thing when demoed at a magnolia. I'm convinced its due to the 4ohm rating being driven my integrated receivers. Is it to close to the wall? Owners opinions please!

And how about HT performance in general with say a pair of Mozart Grands?

Bigred:

Responding to two of your questions: 1) the Maestro center channel, and, 2) Mozart Grands for HT.

1). Maestro center channel. You took the words right out of my mouth. Initially I was pleased with the Maestro, but over time, started to feel like the quality was hit and miss. Sometimes seemed good. sometimes seemed OK. sometimes seemed muffled. It was getting to the point where the thought would occasionally cross my mind to take it back to the dealer to see if it is defective. I already have it a distance from the wall and have read T-3Gs comment on distance between wall being necessary. I am going to move it out further from the wall and see what happens.

A final note on the Maestro. Another thing that has been bugging me is that I purchased my Vienna's in the cherry finish. Have no regrets. Liked this finishtthe best. But the shade of the cherry finish on the Maestro is darker than any cherry finish that I have ever seen on my Mozarts or any other Viennas. At first my friends and I thought that the Maestro seemed darker because it was in a shaded area. But a bit ago I rearranged my system and moved the Maestro and saw that the shade was indeed darker than the Mozarts. This was surprising because I shopped around before making my purchase and I still frequent the dealers that I shopped at and, remarkably, that cherry shade has been consistent--no matter the store, etc. So somehow I ended up with maybe the only "off color" cherry that may have ever made it out of the Vienna Acoustics factory. Just my luck. This bums me out.

2) Mozart Grands for HT. Incredible!!! Incredible if you want the same "Vienna" sound for your HT viewing as for your music viewing. I did. But, if you want something more authentic to a real movie theater. Then I say no. I say this because a movie theater sound is loud and boomy. No matter how fancy the system in a theater it is loud and boomy. If this is what you want then maybe something like the Klipsch or Def Tech lines. Or any full range speaker that is more of what I would call a "rock and roll" speaker. But if you are like me and when you watch movies you want the soundstaging, the layering, the clarity of sound, etc. If this is what you want then I say Mozart Grands are fantastic. I say this knowing that, based upon my days of speaker shopping, the conscensus was that Vienna's were not good for HT. I strongly disagree and think that they are perfect for the kind of HT sound that I want.

Ese' out!
post #289 of 3085 Old 08-01-2008, 02:37 AM
AVS Special Member

For the rosewood color question: each pair is different. They aren't vinyl
The rosewood is a striking finish, its worth the extra money if you want to bring attention (they won't be denied attention in that finish!) to the speaker. However, I have always thought of the rosewood (on the grand series) as more of a darker brown/blackish finish then a red finish. A few pairs i've seen had little red at all (if any really)
post #290 of 3085 Old 08-01-2008, 08:42 AM

Quote:

T-3G:

RE: subwoofers. I strongly urge you to give the JL Audio fathom series serious consideration. You have the top speaker in the Vienna Grand series and, based upon your posts, you have committed serious time and $$$ to your system.

Thanks for the info, Ese. I've never auditioned JL Audio before, I'm going to have to find a local dealer where I can listen to it. How much did you pay for yours, Ese?
post #291 of 3085 Old 08-01-2008, 08:46 AM

Quote:

But the shade of the cherry finish on the Maestro is darker than any cherry finish that I have ever seen on my Mozarts or any other Viennas.

Like Rick said, they are not vinyl, and every pair is different

Look at these pictures. Rosewood finish, with different shades.

post #292 of 3085 Old 08-01-2008, 09:22 AM
Ese
Advanced Member

Quote:

T-3G:

You may have missed my point or we may need to agree to disagree. I am not talking about Rosewood I am talking about the cherry finish. And where we need to agree to disagree is that, as I said I still visit dealers and, I guess because I like the Vienna's so much, I still enjoy viewing and listening to the Viennas in these showrooms. And I disagree. The cherry finish has consistently been the same shade (or close enough to the same shade that I don't notice) for the other Viennas--consistently. Which, on the one hand impresses me that Vienna Acoustics has been able to consistently get the finishes close, and on the other hand, bums me because my Maestro is such a darker cherry than my Mozarts or any other cherry finish Viennas that I have ever seen.

BTW. Per a previous post to bigred that you made I followed through and have moved my Maestro even further from the wall to see if this improves the audio.
post #293 of 3085 Old 08-01-2008, 10:18 AM
Ese
Advanced Member

Quote:

T-3G:

Further thoughts on the shading. Thanks, this is useful info that you and Rick have provided, because if you two are right on the shading--specific to cherry--then it motivates me to rethink my plans regarding purchasing surrounds. I guess it also could mean that it has been a lucky coincidence that the shading has been so consistent when I've seen the cherry finish in other showrooms. Probably been to at least 10 different showrooms and seen the cherry finish on all the models in the Grand line--Beethovens, Mozart, etc. and the finish has been consistent. But if this is a coincidence and it is possible that I would purchase surrounds and the finish would be noticeably different from what I have seen, then I am looking at possibly 3 very different shades of cherry in my HT room--mains, center and surrounds. For me, this would be visually distracting. So thanks to you and Rick for the additional insight.

Ese' out.
post #294 of 3085 Old 08-13-2008, 02:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by peakrunner View Post

Thanks for your inquiry, I would say Dave has sum'd up some of the more common issues with the switchers and amplifers impact. I will say at least from my experience with our local Magnolia store it would be hard for any "Big Box" store to properly demo a quality speaker like VA or any speaker by just packing them side by side into a large room.

The independent retailer that I visited was able to have quality amps (Jeff Roland, Primare, etc.) with excellent cabling and implemented the Sumiko STAR setup which I think was the greatest impact on sound. To really maximize the speakers effectiveness they really should be setup correctly. Now I now there's always going to be a debate on how this should be done but the STAR setup appears to be a solid.

I work in a BBY/MHT location and was there on the day that the Sumiko tech came by and did the STAR setup. In fact, he let me help. Now, by "help", I mean sitting in the demo ottoman and lending my ears while he rotated the Mozart Grands to get the right amount of toe-in.

Learned a lot that day, and he brought some phenomenal demo material!

COMING SOONFinding the Ark of the Covenant by Brian Roberts, in the iBook Store on iTunes, a new investigation into the Hebrew’s Most Sacred Relic!
post #295 of 3085 Old 08-13-2008, 02:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:

Bigred:

Responding to two of your questions: 1) the Maestro center channel, and, 2) Mozart Grands for HT.

1). Maestro center channel. You took the words right out of my mouth. Initially I was pleased with the Maestro, but over time, started to feel like the quality was hit and miss. Sometimes seemed good. sometimes seemed OK. sometimes seemed muffled. It was getting to the point where the thought would occasionally cross my mind to take it back to the dealer to see if it is defective. I already have it a distance from the wall and have read T-3Gs comment on distance between wall being necessary. I am going to move it out further from the wall and see what happens.

A final note on the Maestro. Another thing that has been bugging me is that I purchased my Vienna's in the cherry finish. Have no regrets. Liked this finishtthe best. But the shade of the cherry finish on the Maestro is darker than any cherry finish that I have ever seen on my Mozarts or any other Viennas. At first my friends and I thought that the Maestro seemed darker because it was in a shaded area. But a bit ago I rearranged my system and moved the Maestro and saw that the shade was indeed darker than the Mozarts. This was surprising because I shopped around before making my purchase and I still frequent the dealers that I shopped at and, remarkably, that cherry shade has been consistent--no matter the store, etc. So somehow I ended up with maybe the only "off color" cherry that may have ever made it out of the Vienna Acoustics factory. Just my luck. This bums me out.

2) Mozart Grands for HT. Incredible!!! Incredible if you want the same "Vienna" sound for your HT viewing as for your music viewing. I did. But, if you want something more authentic to a real movie theater. Then I say no. I say this because a movie theater sound is loud and boomy. No matter how fancy the system in a theater it is loud and boomy. If this is what you want then maybe something like the Klipsch or Def Tech lines. Or any full range speaker that is more of what I would call a "rock and roll" speaker. But if you are like me and when you watch movies you want the soundstaging, the layering, the clarity of sound, etc. If this is what you want then I say Mozart Grands are fantastic. I say this knowing that, based upon my days of speaker shopping, the conscensus was that Vienna's were not good for HT. I strongly disagree and think that they are perfect for the kind of HT sound that I want.

Ese' out!

Someone whose ears I trust suggested the VA Schonberg and Weberns for center and the rears. Pair that with something like a Britannia, or Rel or DefTech Supercube Reference. The Schonbergs give the musicality of the Mozart Grands plus also the positional precision of DefTechs or Klipsch.

COMING SOONFinding the Ark of the Covenant by Brian Roberts, in the iBook Store on iTunes, a new investigation into the Hebrew’s Most Sacred Relic!
post #296 of 3085 Old 08-14-2008, 01:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks for posting this

Now do the Mozart Grands tend to have a lighter rosewood finish than the beethoven grands? Because i have yet to see a rosewood finish on the mozarts with that light of a rosewood. In fact its so light it looks cherry

I looked at the Vienna Website and it shows the Mozart Grands in a much darker rosewood like the the beethovens you posted.

I'm about 2 weeks off from ordering the rosewood Mozart Grands and would hate to get the lighter finish rosewood...( just a personal opinion, since when i think of rosewood i think darkish red, not a lighter cherry look). Is their an inconsistency at least in the darkenss of the veneer dye?

Dave Carr can you enlighten me? or someone how may know for sure?
post #297 of 3085 Old 08-14-2008, 01:16 AM
AVS Special Member

I was also given this article from a different thread's member on the Mozarts.

http://stereophile.com/floorloudspea...na/index5.html

Is this from the previous model Mozart and not Mozart Grand???

It tells of a problem creating a crossover suckout. I was rather confused about the article. Can anyone counter-point, or if this was the older model was the issue fixed? Thanks in advance.

And does no one like to post pics of their setups Lets see some pics gents
post #298 of 3085 Old 08-14-2008, 01:19 AM
AVS Special Member

bigred- the darker of the two is much more the norm IMO. I haven't really seen any that were nearly as light as the ones in that picture, it almost looks like the rosewood finish of years ago on the previous generation color wise (not grain wise though)
post #299 of 3085 Old 08-14-2008, 01:20 AM
AVS Special Member

bigred- my opinion on the vienna measurements is that they aren't intended to be a "flat" speaker, they have a unique sound. I have found that most clients seem to love them but its not for everyone!
post #300 of 3085 Old 08-15-2008, 12:36 AM

Hello Everyone,

Without going to far in-depth with how far askew test measurements can possibly be, everyone should understand that test methodology will have a profound effect on the results.

In the case of the Stereophile test review, it has to do with microphone positioning and Peter Gansterer's choice to wire the tweeter out of phase with the mid-bass driver array. The position that is used by Stereophile places the mic much closer than the listening position, usually at 1M from the speaker, on axis with the tweeter. What is shown as an exaggerated suckout at the measurement position, resolves into a relatively flat response at the listening position. Peter Gansterer measures his speakers with the mic 3M from the speakers at about 1.5M from the ground. This is much closer to the normal listening distance of the average listener. The current Mozart Grand is wired identically, and achieves even greater listening pleasure than the original.

As you can see, you should probably be wary of test measurements. Do not judge an audio product by how it measures. Listen to it, and decide if you like it. I think that Vienna's products are eminently natural and musical sounding. They produce dynamics and scale that are much larger than their physical size implies, with a wonderful sense of space, dimensionality, focus and tonal/timbral balance. No test measurement could possibly determine this.

The simple proof of all of this: Robert Deutsch had wonderful things to say about the Mozart and its performance, and gave it a rave recommendation. To this day, the Mozart, and its progeny, continue to be the greatest selling speaker in the Vienna lineup. A Sumiko staff favorite.

For a review of the current Mozart Grand, check out this link:

http://www.avguide.com/products/product-3405/

In regard to finish variance and center channel setup:

These are natural wood veneers, and will vary with build and age. The two examples shown are on the extreme end of the scale, with most example falling towards the darker of the two. Pairs are matched at the factory for this reason. Also, strong lighting tends exaggerate the differences between to dark wood examples.

Prior to the server loss, I had posted a short treatise of speaker setup, with and emphasis on the center channel. I have not the energy to recreate that post but I will give you the basics:

1. Set your center channel to LARGE in the setup menu. CRITICAL!! This eliminates distortion caused by the cheap crossovers in most processors/receivers, and the thin sound of a bass-less speaker.

2. Place it either very close to the wall (back within 4" of the wall), or more that 20-24" from the wall. The in-room position is better if you have the space. This eliminates most room boundary interactions. The area between those to points is UNSUITABLE for ANY speaker.

3. If the speaker is lower than 24" or so from the floor, or higher than 36" from the floor, angle the speaker up or down into the listening position.

4. If you have hard surface directly below the speaker (ex: the top surface of a large RPTV, or hardwood/stone/tile floor), place something soft underneath it. This will minimize detrimental reflections that will smear the sound.

Keep it coming!

d.
Reply Speakers