The *OFFICIAL* Vienna Acoustics Owners Thread - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

Old 09-12-2008, 01:33 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have heard matching, tower based 5.1 systems on a couple of occasions and they are universally spectacular. Given that the ergonomics/logistics work, it is undoubtedly the best way to go. That being said, most multi-purpose rooms can't accommodate a system of that size. The Maestro and Waltz were created to satisfy the needs of the average room, without to great of a compromise to sound.

In your room, because of door/window configuration, wall-mounted Waltz will be better than corner-positioned Bach/Mozart. This not because the Bach/Mozart are not better speakers, which they are, but because the corner is generally an awful place to put a speaker. Speaker position will have a more dramatic impact on sound. So much so that 5 identical speakers can be made to sound completely dissimilar.

So that you understand the logic behind the design of the Maestro, spider-cone woofers were chosen to increase its dynamic/output capability while maintaining a compact, horizontal cabinet. Through careful driver/crossover tuning, Maestro is voice matched to Mozart/Baby Grand/Concert Grand.

The Waltz is even more interesting. Normally drivers are designed first, then cabinet, and then crossover. With Waltz and Schonberg series, this approach does not work because cabinet volume/dimension is essentially predetermined. To make the highest quality sound, drivers and crossovers are developed simultaneously. This is why Waltz can handle so much power, while delivering an expansive, detailed and dynamic sound, without compression.

For your dedicated system, I'd recommend bypassing 6.1 and moving directly to 7.1. The former does not really exist in the pro world any more, so any array larger than 5.1 is being done in 7.1. If this is your ultimate goal, I'd do three pairs of matching or mixed Vienna towers with the Maestro center.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2008, 02:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Carr View Post

I have heard matching, tower based 5.1 systems on a couple of occasions and they are universally spectacular. Given that the ergonomics/logistics work, it is undoubtedly the best way to go. That being said, most multi-purpose rooms can't accommodate a system of that size. The Maestro and Waltz were created to satisfy the needs of the average room, without to great of a compromise to sound.

In your room, because of door/window configuration, wall-mounted Waltz will be better than corner-positioned Bach/Mozart. This not because the Bach/Mozart are not better speakers, which they are, but because the corner is generally an awful place to put a speaker. Speaker position will have a more dramatic impact on sound. So much so that 5 identical speakers can be made to sound completely dissimilar.

So that you understand the logic behind the design of the Maestro, spider-cone woofers were chosen to increase its dynamic/output capability while maintaining a compact, horizontal cabinet. Through careful driver/crossover tuning, Maestro is voice matched to Mozart/Baby Grand/Concert Grand.

The Waltz is even more interesting. Normally drivers are designed first, then cabinet, and then crossover. With Waltz and Schonberg series, this approach does not work because cabinet volume/dimension is essentially predetermined. To make the highest quality sound, drivers and crossovers are developed simultaneously. This is why Waltz can handle so much power, while delivering an expansive, detailed and dynamic sound, without compression.

For your dedicated system, I'd recommend bypassing 6.1 and moving directly to 7.1. The former does not really exist in the pro world any more, so any array larger than 5.1 is being done in 7.1. If this is your ultimate goal, I'd do three pairs of matching or mixed Vienna towers with the Maestro center.

Thank you so much for all of the great information. I will move forward with 7.1 with dual woofers. I am going to look into the Waltz's for the surrounding speakers. If this works out for me, I will take the savings and invest and 1 more woofer
Old 09-29-2008, 10:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanaticalism View Post

Thank you so much for all of the great information. I will move forward with 7.1 with dual woofers. I am going to look into the Waltz's for the surrounding speakers. If this works out for me, I will take the savings and invest and 1 more woofer

so any updates???
Old 09-30-2008, 12:34 AM
AVS Special Member

30 day wait . Special order. Actually to my benefit, since I have not been able to sell my existing setup!
Old 09-30-2008, 01:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanaticalism View Post

30 day wait . Special order. Actually to my benefit, since I have not been able to sell my existing setup!

aaaah i should thought of that lol. Well take some pics once you get it and let us know how you like it
Old 09-30-2008, 02:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Will do.
Old 10-01-2008, 10:19 AM

I currently own the 7.1 VA Beethoven Concert Grands, Maestro Grand, 2 pairs of waltz and Rel b-2 my reciever is the pioneer VSX94TXH this receiver works great with my system.
Old 10-01-2008, 11:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmckappa View Post

I currently own the 7.1 VA Beethoven Concert Grands, Maestro Grand, 2 pairs of waltz and Rel b-2 my reciever is the pioneer VSX94TXH this receiver works great with my system.

got any pics
Old 10-02-2008, 07:56 AM

I just sold my house and moved into a small studio while I build another so I crammed the front 3 speakers in so it looks terrible and boxed up the rears and sub until my theater room is done at the other house. My house will be done in feb. Anybody have any design experence.
Old 10-02-2008, 10:16 AM

How can we assist?
Old 10-02-2008, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmckappa View Post

Have you thought about adding a separate amp, even one like an Emotiva for less than $1000? I'm sure it would open up your system, especially those Beethoven's, quite a bit.
Old 10-02-2008, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCentral View Post

Have you thought about adding a separate amp, even one like an Emotiva for less than $1000? I'm sure it would open up your system, especially those Beethoven's, quite a bit.

Very much agree - I actually had a VSX94TXH but returned it for HDMI switching issues I had, I didn't much like how it drove my Beethoven's but to each their own. I'd defiantly consider upgrading to a dedicated amp, you can find B&K gear on the cheap due to a recent face plate change - getting a 7 channel amp wouldn't be too painful. It'd do so much to bring out the rich intensity of the speakers.
Old 10-02-2008, 03:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisbenjamin View Post

Very much agree - I actually had a VSX94TXH but returned it for HDMI switching issues I had, I didn't much like how it drove my Beethoven's but to each their own. I'd defiantly consider upgrading to a dedicated amp, you can find B&K gear on the cheap due to a recent face plate change - getting a 7 channel amp wouldn't be too painful. It'd do so much to bring out the rich intensity of the speakers.

I've compared several B&K amps to the Emotiva's and to be honest the B&K's sound thin compared to the Emotiva ones. There are several owners of B&K stuff on Emotivalounge that sold them off in favor of the Emotiva. But everyone has their own personal taste.
Old 10-02-2008, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigred7078 View Post

I've compared several B&K amps to the Emotiva's and to be honest the B&K's sound thin compared to the Emotiva ones. There are several owners of B&K stuff on Emotivalounge that sold them off in favor of the Emotiva. But everyone has their own personal taste.

Thin is the last word I'd use to describe, but I will concede to a 3-4k difference in price. I was extremely nervous regarding the fact Emotiva products are made in China, but after testing the MMC-1 with their 5 channel amp, against my current gear I was relieved - I didn't much like their physical appearance, and the sound was a bit uninteresting to me - but they where cheap enough to shuffle to a relative for their home theater project. I think Emotive makes a fine product for the budget conscience, however I would not recommend pairing them with a Vienna Acoutics product, unless it was a Schönberg.
Old 10-03-2008, 07:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisbenjamin View Post

Thin is the last word I'd use to describe, but I will concede to a 3-4k difference in price. I was extremely nervous regarding the fact Emotiva products are made in China, but after testing the MMC-1 with their 5 channel amp, against my current gear I was relieved - I didn't much like their physical appearance, and the sound was a bit uninteresting to me - but they where cheap enough to shuffle to a relative for their home theater project. I think Emotive makes a fine product for the budget conscience, however I would not recommend pairing them with a Vienna Acoutics product, unless it was a Schönberg.

I dont really think price has anything to do with well anything...
What is your background to say that you would not recommend them with Vienna products? So because YOU did not like it, it gets a big no..? I'm having a hard time grasping your reasoning here.

And no the B&K does not usually sound thin, but in my direct comparisons the Emotiva sounded fuller, hence making the B&K seem thin. Im not crazy nor the only one to think this. People seem to have a hard time grasping that a cheaper product is actually better or the same, and usually the reason why people seem to clam up and discredit Emotiva without trying or if they do try they have to think of a reason to why the more expensive amp would be better...
Old 10-04-2008, 07:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 182
Hello everyone. I am in the process of redoing my HT set-up and just bought a pair of Mozart Grands. About 2 months ago I bought an Onkyo TX-SR805 as my center piece (and stole the damn thing for under 5 bills). I am replacing Infinity SM-152's that were hand me downs from my father that have served me well for a few years.

I went into MHT @ BB thinking of the Def Tech 7002 or 7004 and was blown away by the Mozart Grands. For such a small speaker the sound was impressive. I am a big Rock listener and my wife is into Techno and heavy bass music. It seems like many of you listen to classical and jazz. I am very curious to get these home and really go nuts with my music. I just hope I am as happy as I was listening in the store (on many occasions).

They should get to the store in 3 days and I cannot wait to pick them up. I have wanted new speakers now for at least 8 years. These were the first I have heard that just sounded perfect to me. Dave Carr you seem like a great resource and I read your posts with much interest. Your comments have been helpful so far and I don't even have them yet!

Xbox Live: TheRealMaxPower --- PSN: TheRealMaxPower

Panasonic TC-P65VT60    Vienna Acoustic Mozart Grands    Onkyo TX-SR805   Sony BDP-S790

Astro Mixamp 2013   Schiit Modi    AKG K702 65th Anniversary   Antlion ModMic    Sennheiser PC360

Theater- Benq W1070    Elite 120" projection...

Old 10-06-2008, 11:28 AM

Thanks for the compliment! I'm always here to help.

Let us all know how things turn out!

Best,

d.
Old 10-07-2008, 02:25 PM

Any thoughts to using Mastero Grand for the FRONT speakers instead of Hayden Grand's. I already use mastero for the center and waltz for the rear along with Denon3808(receiver) / McIntosh275 (amp).

Thanks.
Old 10-07-2008, 03:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
that should be fine ume, I helped on a system recently with two theatro's as front speakers. I can't see why the maestro's wouldn't work well also. However, I'm not sure if they would sound correct in a vertical placement situation (never used them like that).
Old 10-07-2008, 03:55 PM

I was planning to use them in a horizontal position only. That's the only reason to go for them instead of Hayden as the book shelf does not have the opening required for Hayden's in vertical position.
Old 10-07-2008, 06:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by umeshdhingra View Post

I was planning to use them in a horizontal position only. That's the only reason to go for them instead of Hayden as the book shelf does not have the opening required for Hayden's in vertical position.

that's exactly why the guy did two of the theatro's as right and left, same reasons and it worked very well.
Old 10-07-2008, 08:09 PM

Would it be cost effective, though? Two Maestro Grands equals to $2,800 which is roughly equal to the price of Mozart Grands. Plus if you want bass you'll need to add a sub.
Old 10-08-2008, 01:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-3G View Post

Would it be cost effective, though? Two Maestro Grands equals to $2,800 which is roughly equal to the price of Mozart Grands. Plus if you want bass you'll need to add a sub.

while I do agree, he might have a furniture situation which requires it.
Old 10-08-2008, 10:11 PM

Maestro makes a great LCR, in both the horizontal and vertical position. The offset tweeter allows for greater dispersion than you'd see with the woofer-tweeter-woofer arrangement of the Theatro. As for bass, the Maestro goes as low as the Haydn, but has much greater power and dynamics, due to its dual spider-cone woofer count. On the occasion that a floorstander is not possible, this is a great alternative. Need more extension, add a REL.
Old 10-08-2008, 10:31 PM
AVS Special Member

was kinda considering a Pioneer SC-05 or SC-07 as a processor replacement for what i currently have... Thoughts?

Also considered the MArantz AV8003...
Old 10-09-2008, 08:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Hello.

Could someone tell me about the Beethoven Baby Grand speakers?

How would you describe them in terms of sound?

Do they still retain that warm, smooth, emotionally engaging sound; like previous models?

Any experiences with these speakers would help.

Kind of difficult to audition them around my area.
Old 10-09-2008, 09:35 AM

they were my favorite out of the ones I heard. they were just right to my ears. they were a bit faster than the larger models I heard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TjMV3 View Post

Hello.

Could someone tell me about the Beethoven Baby Grand speakers?

How would you describe them in terms of sound?

Do they still retain that warm, smooth, emotionally engaging sound; like previous models?

Any experiences with these speakers would help.

Kind of difficult to audition them around my area.

Old 10-09-2008, 11:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks, mingus.

How would you describe what you heard.

Arem they still a little on the warm side and very emotionaly engaging? How was the bass?

What amp/pre amp/source was driving them?
Old 10-09-2008, 07:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 182
I GOT THEM!!! I picked up my piano black Mozart Grands today. First impressions are, I am shocked at the sound from these small speakers. I am going from Studio Monitor Infinitys with 15" woofers (SM 152s) and the Mozarts have MUCH better bass. The detail is unreal in the mid bass and highs. After years of listening to and comparing speakers, I am so happy.

I have waited a very long time to buy speakers like this. I was thinking I should of went with the Def Tech Mythos STS waiting for these to arrive. I liked the built in amp but the mids and highs I wasn't blown away with. I'll take the clarity of the Mozarts any day of the week. I can't wait for this weekend when I can go nuts. I wanted a speaker that could handle stereo music without a sub and reproduce the music faithfully. My second guessing was for naught.

Dave Carr, I am driving these with an Onkyo 805 and I am curious if you have ever Mozarts with the 805. I am in the process of redoing the speakers and I don't have a money tree. I am trying to pickup the Waltz next and then the Maestro later. This will probably be within the next 1-2 years. Am I getting good performance from my Onkyo or should I go for a stereo amp first then upgrade the speakers? Curious if anyone with Mozarts has heard my combo.

Xbox Live: TheRealMaxPower --- PSN: TheRealMaxPower

Panasonic TC-P65VT60    Vienna Acoustic Mozart Grands    Onkyo TX-SR805   Sony BDP-S790

Astro Mixamp 2013   Schiit Modi    AKG K702 65th Anniversary   Antlion ModMic    Sennheiser PC360

Theater- Benq W1070    Elite 120" projection...

Old 10-09-2008, 08:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyrnes View Post

I GOT THEM!!! I picked up my piano black Mozart Grands today. First impressions are, I am shocked at the sound from these small speakers. I am going from Studio Monitor Infinitys with 15" woofers (SM 152s) and the Mozarts have MUCH better bass. The detail is unreal in the mid bass and highs. After years of listening to and comparing speakers, I am so happy.

I have waited a very long time to buy speakers like this. I was thinking I should of went with the Def Tech Mythos STS waiting for these to arrive. I liked the built in amp but the mids and highs I wasn't blown away with. I'll take the clarity of the Mozarts any day of the week. I can't wait for this weekend when I can go nuts. I wanted a speaker that could handle stereo music without a sub and reproduce the music faithfully. My second guessing was for naught.

Dave Carr, I am driving these with an Onkyo 805 and I am curious if you have ever Mozarts with the 805. I am in the process of redoing the speakers and I don't have a money tree. I am trying to pickup the Waltz next and then the Maestro later. This will probably be within the next 1-2 years. Am I getting good performance from my Onkyo or should I go for a stereo amp first then upgrade the speakers? Curious if anyone with Mozarts has heard my combo.

problem with using the onkyo is that its amps arent rated to handle a nominal 4ohm impedence, so it could damage something if driven to hard for a longer period of time.. You may like the sound now, but just wait until you get a good amp!