post #631 of 3055 Old 02-23-2009, 07:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by superflybaker View Post

mbyrnes - Thanks for the info on Emotiva. I will definitely do more research.

Budget is $8K for both the amp and the processor...

Wow, you could do Emotiva Monoblocks all around and still have $3000

Since you listen mostly to 2 channel I would look at either Monoblocks for the fronts or a really great 2 channel amp for the fronts. A multichannel from the same company would be fine for the rears. If you kept your Classe for surround and center duty you could go with a 2 channel or Mono blocks (may be WAY to much $5,000 each).

Multichannel amps are great but IMO are a compromised design. They were built for HT use, not 2 channel. Most multi-channel amps in the same line don't compare with the stereo or mono amps in 2 channel duty.

Oh, Check out audiogon Great place to buy used high-end gear (making stuff outside your budget very reachable! High turnover so if you have something already in mind you could watch for it. Lot of action on that site. patience can pay off.

I would still love to see you try the Emotiva. Hopefully you read up on them.

Xbox Live: TheRealMaxPower --- PSN: TheRealMaxPower

Panasonic TC-P65VT60    Vienna Acoustic Mozart Grands    Onkyo TX-SR805   Sony BDP-S790

Astro Mixamp 2013   Schiit Modi    AKG K702 65th Anniversary   Antlion ModMic    Sennheiser PC360

Theater- Benq W1070    Elite 120" projection...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 3055 Old 02-23-2009, 10:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyrnes View Post

I have heard that Martin Logan speakers have a small sweet spot. Great for two channel but not so great for HT. I guess it would depend on you planned seating area (number of seats).

If that is not a problem, I would listen until one separated itself from the other. Bring every type of music you listen to and go from there. Bring movies and see how they sound. One has to stand out after a serious listening session. Take notes too.

Well i've done that in one of our studios. Used an rx-v1900 and a denon cd changer connected by optical on a few of my cd's. compared 2 ch. between mozarts and the ml source (although the purity is way better, but in a diff room). also tested with dark knight with the denon 1800 although our setup is with dig optical so the sound is downgraded.

test 1:
fronts: mozarts
center: theatro
rear: waltz
sub: ml dynamo

test 2:
fronts: source or preface
center: fresco
rear: vignettes

I still think it's a tough decision for me especially because of price. my original system was going to be

fronts: puritys
center: feature
rears: preface
sub: x2 dynamo
post #633 of 3055 Old 02-23-2009, 10:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by HawaiianBoy2593 View Post

Well i've done that in one of our studios. Used an rx-v1900 and a denon cd changer connected by optical on a few of my cd's. compared 2 ch. between mozarts and the ml source (although the purity is way better, but in a diff room). also tested with dark knight with the denon 1800 although our setup is with dig optical so the sound is downgraded.

test 1:
fronts: mozarts
center: theatro
rear: waltz

test 2:
fronts: source or preface
center: fresco
rear: vignettes

I still think it's a tough decision for me especially because of price. my original system was going to be

fronts: puritys
center: feature
rears: preface
sub: x2 dynamo

I would actually rather have the Preface as mains than the Puritys. I just think the puritys dont do justice to ML. They are decent speakers, but they are just nothing in comparison to their higher end electrostat panels. Heck listen to the Vista its about 20x better...IMO. But the price also goes up quite a bit. The Preface with the ATF is pretty slick. A little bright, but for the money not bad.

To me the Mozarts just excelled over the ML's that BB Magnolia carries. Definately laid back in comparison, but the midrange is where its all at
Plus the build quality is TOP NOTCH, especially when compared to those lower end ML's that use cheap vinyl and plastic...

P.S.- If you end up with VA, do yourself a favor and get the Maestro Grand...Its a much more capable center than the Theatro is.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #634 of 3055 Old 02-23-2009, 10:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyrnes View Post

Budget would help a lot.

If you can be open minded may I suggest the XPA-2 and XPA-3 from Emotiva. The main thread here is a great source and many owners have come from much more expensive gear and love it.

I have been reading about amps for months and I keep coming back to the Emotiva Amps. I hope to purchase the XPA-2 in a few months. Later I will add the XPA-3 or 5 to complete my setup. Big Red uses the RPA-2 and the XPA-3 with his setup. He loves their stuff. The best thing is you can try it in your home for 30 days (you do pay to ship it back though). Not bad because you can try it with YOUR gear in YOUR environment.

I would definately at least consider the Emotiva amps, they are honestly great stuff. But also a man with an 8K budget probably would never end up with Emotiva lol. Most people used to high end equipment sneer at Emotiva products...that is until they actually hear them.

There is definately better product than Emotiva, but for those of us on budgets, Emotiva is always at the top of my recommendation list . But also dont get me wrong its not just a poor mans wannabe amp lol, they are competitors for sure. Many emotiva owners over at the Lounge do own some serious equipment: Anthem, Krell, Bryston, B&K REF amps and they all have been more than happy with how well the Emotiva competes.

annnnyway lol, has anyone used Wyred4Sounds ICE amps with the Viennas? People have been raving over these lately.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #635 of 3055 Old 02-24-2009, 12:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
For a mid priced suggestion, the new marantz stack sounded great at the store with the vienna mozart, theatro, waltz + rel sub setup we had going. I like the simplicity and styling also. Not a huge fan of audyssey as a whole but at least this had a easy to use EQ to customize it yourself to taste. Not sure on how good the amp really is, it worked very well at the store and appeared to sound much better then any of the receivers we had tested against (sc-07 and avr4308).
post #636 of 3055 Old 02-24-2009, 12:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by the rick View Post

For a mid priced suggestion, the new marantz stack sounded great at the store with the vienna mozart, theatro, waltz + rel sub setup we had going. I like the simplicity and styling also. Not a huge fan of audyssey as a whole but at least this had a easy to use EQ to customize it yourself to taste. Not sure on how good the amp really is, it worked very well at the store and appeared to sound much better then any of the receivers we had tested against (sc-07 and avr4308).

I use the Marantz sr6003 as a pre, but its a great unit. Definately a quality receiver. The AV8003 gets great reviews and seems to have all the bells and whistles besides top of the line video scaling. I almost got one of those a few weeks ago, but decided against it.

post #637 of 3055 Old 02-24-2009, 01:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:

I would look into the Marantz AV8003 p/p, or maybe even the Denon AVP1 which can be found very cheaply, but would only leave about 3k for amps.

I personally like the ICE sound with the VA's, and Wyred 4 Sound has been stirring up quite the buzz. Parasound, B&K, or if you decided on something like an Integra 9.9(Note: the Integra is not known for its analog section), you could look at Mac amps as well... Nevermind the Mac, must of missed that part in your post.

Look into Theta Dreadnaught as well
post #638 of 3055 Old 02-24-2009, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigred7078 View Post

I would actually rather have the Preface as mains than the Puritys. I just think the puritys dont do justice to ML. They are decent speakers, but they are just nothing in comparison to their higher end electrostat panels. Heck listen to the Vista its about 20x better...IMO. But the price also goes up quite a bit. The Preface with the ATF is pretty slick. A little bright, but for the money not bad.

To me the Mozarts just excelled over the ML's that BB Magnolia carries. Definately laid back in comparison, but the midrange is where its all at
Plus the build quality is TOP NOTCH, especially when compared to those lower end ML's that use cheap vinyl and plastic...

P.S.- If you end up with VA, do yourself a favor and get the Maestro Grand...Its a much more capable center than the Theatro is.

Unfortunately only the design series is carried by mag in bby unless the mag is a standalone store. I can get all products, but I can't test them beforehand. I've been really impressed by the price point and quality of the preface. I feel that their woofers beat the def tech towers hands down in a bass test even with the def techs being amplified. I'm wondering if it is possiblle to combine ml and va, even though the sound is different
post #639 of 3055 Old 02-24-2009, 09:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawaiianBoy2593 View Post

Unfortunately only the design series is carried by mag in bby unless the mag is a standalone store. I can get all products, but I can't test them beforehand. I've been really impressed by the price point and quality of the preface. I feel that their woofers beat the def tech towers hands down in a bass test even with the def techs being amplified. I'm wondering if it is possiblle to combine ml and va, even though the sound is different

When you say "combine VA with ML", what exactly are you referring to? The subs?

If you went with ML towers, I would stick with ML all around, especially if you are looking to do Multichannel music. The ML's do not sound similar to anything other than ML. Heck, you can't even really match their ESL, with their Design line.

ML is a great company, with a desired sound by many, but I find them a bit fatiguing. They are almost like a surgeon with their razor sharp sound.
post #640 of 3055 Old 02-24-2009, 11:50 AM
Ese
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

I have to say that in nearly 7 years of selling vienna products, I have not had one client complain about the finish quality on their speakers. Honestly, this is the first time I've even heard of this issue

Sadly to say, I'm part of the group leaving with the closing of the Mag stores, it was fun while it lasted.

Rick:

Best of luck with your next step. Don't be a stranger after leaving Magnolia.

Ese
post #641 of 3055 Old 02-24-2009, 12:09 PM

I've been wanting to grab Purity's for a while now, and even picked up a processor to run them (since they have onboard amps). Now I've been thinking about getting a pair of the Schonberg's. With my accomodation (since I'm a Magnolia employee), they will run appx. $500 more than the Purity's. Since they don't have an on-board amp though, I'd need to shell out for that, making it at least $1K more expensive. Not sure what to do here...

It's going to be for a college apartment, but I'm looking to have these last for at least ten years, so who knows where I'll end up. I feel like ML's won't be the best place for a small apartment, especially if we're having parties, because of the limited dispersion/soundstage. Tough call...
post #642 of 3055 Old 02-24-2009, 12:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ese View Post

Rick:

Best of luck with your next step. Don't be a stranger after leaving Magnolia.

Ese

Thank you. I think I might get out of the A/V industry for a while and try something new!
post #643 of 3055 Old 02-24-2009, 12:46 PM

Quote:

Primare!!!!! I just got to play with the new SP32 processor and it is HOT!!!!!!

SP32 processor $5K
A30.5 5 channel amplifier $3K

Call The Sound Organization, who is the new Primare distributor, 972-234-0182.
post #644 of 3055 Old 02-24-2009, 01:05 PM

Quote:

Thank you. I think I might get out of the A/V industry for a while and try something new!

Best of luck, Rick!
post #645 of 3055 Old 02-24-2009, 01:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCentral View Post

I've been wanting to grab Purity's for a while now, and even picked up a processor to run them (since they have onboard amps). Now I've been thinking about getting a pair of the Schonberg's. With my accomodation (since I'm a Magnolia employee), they will run appx. $500 more than the Purity's. Since they don't have an on-board amp though, I'd need to shell out for that, making it at least $1K more expensive. Not sure what to do here...

It's going to be for a college apartment, but I'm looking to have these last for at least ten years, so who knows where I'll end up. I feel like ML's won't be the best place for a small apartment, especially if we're having parties, because of the limited dispersion/soundstage. Tough call...

Any particular reason why you want the Schonberg's over the Mozarts?

P.S.- Purity's and party do not equal each other lol. They are more of an intimate 2-channel style speaker for one person. The soundstage collapses as you know and would be horrible for music listening with friends over. So Viennas all the way

post #646 of 3055 Old 02-24-2009, 02:54 PM

Quote:

Any particular reason why you want the Schonberg's over the Mozarts?

P.S.- Purity's and party do not equal each other lol. They are more of an intimate 2-channel style speaker for one person. The soundstage collapses as you know and would be horrible for music listening with friends over. So Viennas all the way

Well, I own the Mozart's . The Mozart's will stay at my parents house, so I need a new pair for my apartment. I think the Schonberg's look a lot nicer than the Mozarts, and since this is going to be my first place, I want it to look as nice as possible.
post #647 of 3055 Old 02-24-2009, 05:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Well, it appears that I have a blown tweeter in one of my MG's (the one I received a day later). Is this common? The VA's at my local MAG were out of commission for a while because one had a blown tweeter...

I am powering them with Outlaw Audio M2200's atm, and do not go below -10db. I ran them all day Monday, and Sunday (about 30 hrs total) at around -20db. This is the first time I pushed them, and it seemed to become apparent almost immediately.

This really sucks...

EDIT: I noticed it listening to "Rolling Stones Shine A Light" BD. I am pretty familiar with this disc, and it isn't something I recall, seeing as it comes only from the left speaker. So, I popped in "Pat Methany Group The Way Up-Live", and did not hear it, but it isn't a very dynamic BD, so I popped in the JM BD, and I don't hear it either.

Could it possibly be that something is loose, and the dynamic range, and "loudness" of the Rolling Stones recording is jarring something?
post #648 of 3055 Old 02-24-2009, 06:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well, I own the Mozart's . The Mozart's will stay at my parents house, so I need a new pair for my apartment. I think the Schonberg's look a lot nicer than the Mozarts, and since this is going to be my first place, I want it to look as nice as possible.

ahhh i got ya. Well, i aksed a similar question a few pages back and the overwhelming response was that the Mozarts just sounded much better. So would you rather have looks or SQ?

post #649 of 3055 Old 02-24-2009, 06:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanaticalism View Post

Well, it appears that I have a blown tweeter in one of my MG's (the one I received a day later). Is this common? The VA's at my local MAG were out of commission for a while because one had a blown tweeter...

I am powering them with Outlaw Audio M2200's atm, and do not go below -10db. I ran them all day Monday, and Sunday (about 30 hrs total) at around -20db. This is the first time I pushed them, and it seemed to become apparent almost immediately.

This really sucks...

EDIT: I noticed it listening to "Rolling Stones Shine A Light" BD. I am pretty familiar with this disc, and it isn't something I recall, seeing as it comes only from the left speaker. So, I popped in "Pat Methany Group The Way Up-Live", and did not hear it, but it isn't a very dynamic BD, so I popped in the JM BD, and I don't hear it either.

Could it possibly be that something is loose, and the dynamic range, and "loudness" of the Rolling Stones recording is jarring something?

I have yet to see this happen...
Man...lol...i've cranked mine like crazy before and they handled it fine. Must have just been one of those times?

post #650 of 3055 Old 02-24-2009, 06:21 PM

Quote:

ahhh i got ya. Well, i aksed a similar question a few pages back and the overwhelming response was that the Mozarts just sounded much better. So would you rather have looks or SQ?

Well, first of all, I just feel WRONG having two pairs of the same speakers . Second, I'm imagining that I'm going to have very limited placement options, and I know how picky the Mozart's are when it comes to placement. Also, the Schonberg's, from what I read, work slightly better (or equal) for HT, which will be the primary use.

Plus, they're just so damn sexy. BTW, bigred, it was me that PMed you the other day (username dtopler) on the Emotiva forums, thanks for the help yet again.
post #651 of 3055 Old 02-24-2009, 06:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have yet to see this happen...
Man...lol...i've cranked mine like crazy before and they handled it fine. Must have just been one of those times?

I am at a loss atm Big lol. VA just doesn't like me... maybe it's a love hate relationship (I'm the one doin' the lovin lol)

Will...not...give...up!

Hopefully Sumiko will send me a new tweeter right away, and maybe, just maybe it'll arrive at the same time as my center and rears.
post #652 of 3055 Old 02-24-2009, 06:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 161
It has to happen to someone unfortunately. Nothing is made 100% correct every time. Even with testing at the factory, defects get through. Hopefully Sumiko was easy to work with.

Xbox Live: TheRealMaxPower --- PSN: TheRealMaxPower

Panasonic TC-P65VT60    Vienna Acoustic Mozart Grands    Onkyo TX-SR805   Sony BDP-S790

Astro Mixamp 2013   Schiit Modi    AKG K702 65th Anniversary   Antlion ModMic    Sennheiser PC360

Theater- Benq W1070    Elite 120" projection...

post #653 of 3055 Old 02-24-2009, 08:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well, first of all, I just feel WRONG having two pairs of the same speakers . Second, I'm imagining that I'm going to have very limited placement options, and I know how picky the Mozart's are when it comes to placement. Also, the Schonberg's, from what I read, work slightly better (or equal) for HT, which will be the primary use.

Plus, they're just so damn sexy. BTW, bigred, it was me that PMed you the other day (username dtopler) on the Emotiva forums, thanks for the help yet again.

lol i gotcha. Well the Schonbergs are pretty sleek looking IMO. I have yet to hear a pair, but i hope to sooner or later. Piano black on them is pretty stunning

And btw hey! lol. I've been getting alot of pm's on the Emotiva Lounge recently regarding the Viennas and my thoughts on them. An no prob with the help.

Anyway get the schonbergs and take a pic asap lol, i have yet to see them actually set up in someones home.

post #654 of 3055 Old 02-24-2009, 08:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I am at a loss atm Big lol. VA just doesn't like me... maybe it's a love hate relationship (I'm the one doin' the lovin lol)

Will...not...give...up!

Hopefully Sumiko will send me a new tweeter right away, and maybe, just maybe it'll arrive at the same time as my center and rears.

Haha your tellin me! That is definately a love hate relationship. Thats really to bad though because i know how you were really looking forward to getting these Have you had a a chance to contact anyone yet about the tweeter? And are you positive its blown? Does it sound messed up with media content or just that one disk? But regardless i hope you get it taken care of ASAP. When are the center are rears scheduled to arrive?

post #655 of 3055 Old 02-24-2009, 08:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Haha your tellin me! That is definately a love hate relationship. Thats really to bad though because i know how you were really looking forward to getting these Have you had a a chance to contact anyone yet about the tweeter? And are you positive its blown? Does it sound messed up with media content or just that one disk? But regardless i hope you get it taken care of ASAP. When are the center are rears scheduled to arrive?

I should have the rears and center on the same day (3/12 according to the order form).

I called Sumiko immediately, and it seems I had just missed them by 15 minutes (It's a 3 hour difference in the time zones from east to west coast right?). I left a message, to please call me back as soon as they got the chance, and that I may need a new tweeter.

It seems I am getting distortion on demanding tracks at louder volumes (but nothing beyond normal).

What I really love about these guys, is with a dynamic track, I do not have to cover my ears because of glass breaking, ear bleeding, super harsh highs. Ooohh the benefits of soft dome tweeters! They maintain that nice piercing sharpness, without it being overwhelming.

I am going to need more power though, as these Outlaws just do not give them what they need, for me atleast. I am thinking that if I decide on the Wyred 4 Sounds, the ST500's would be the bear minimum. I also saw a Primare 30.2, and 30.5 on Agon for a really good price. I know these are very high current, and clean amps, but are they going to give me the spl that the MG's are capable of?

What do you think about the Dynamos? Apparently no one has had a chance to tackle my questions on the previous page, but I am replacing the SCII's and was thinking of going with quad Dynamos, or maybe 2 Abyss. The quads are going to do a better job with flattening out my frequency response, and filling and nulls throughout the multiple seating locations, not to mention more overall SPL, but I have never heard the Abyss, and would be a blind buy.

Have you ever had the chance to compare the two?
post #656 of 3055 Old 02-24-2009, 08:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I should have the rears and center on the same day (3/12 according to the order form).

I called Sumiko immediately, and it seems I had just missed them by 15 minutes (It's a 3 hour difference in the time zones from east to west coast right?). I left a message, to please call me back as soon as they got the chance, and that I may need a new tweeter.

It seems I am getting distortion on demanding tracks at louder volumes (but nothing beyond normal).

What I really love about these guys, is with a dynamic track, I do not have to cover my ears because of glass breaking, ear bleeding, super harsh highs. Ooohh the benefits of soft dome tweeters! They maintain that nice piercing sharpness, without it being overwhelming.

I am going to need more power though, as these Outlaws just do not give them what they need, for me atleast. I am thinking that if I decide on the Wyred 4 Sounds, the ST500's would be the bear minimum. I also saw a Primare 30.2, and 30.5 on Agon for a really good price. I know these are very high current, and clean amps, but are they going to give me the spl that the MG's are capable of?

What do you think about the Dynamos? Apparently no one has had a chance to tackle my questions on the previous page, but I am replacing the SCII's and was thinking of going with quad Dynamos, or maybe 2 Abyss. The quads are going to do a better job with flattening out my frequency response, and filling and nulls throughout the multiple seating locations, not to mention more overall SPL, but I have never heard the Abyss, and would be a blind buy.

Have you ever had the chance to compare the two?

Well hopefull you will hear from them soon.

I'd also be interested to hear your results if you ended up with Wyred4Sound for amp duties.

One thing about doing 4 subs is its going to be pretty hard to get them all dialed in perfectly. Heck people have issues getting one sub correct, let alone 4. But the benefits are definately there. I have heard both the abyss and dynamo, but never side by side unfortunately. What do you think the ML subs will give you over the Supercubes? a more musical presence?

post #657 of 3055 Old 02-24-2009, 09:25 PM
AVS Special Member

The ML's are much more distinguishable and articulate. While numerically, the SC's dig a little deeper, it is at a much higher level of distortion, so they leave a somewhat of a lingering effect. The Dynamos are much more responsive, and have the versatility of optional downward/forward firing, giving you much more options when having multiple subs going from far, and nearfield. Not to mention, being that they are more musical, I feel compliment the VA's much more.

So again, while they may not dig as deep according to the numbers (not DT's numbers btw), the ML's "feel/sound" deeper. Not to mention, the fact that I plan on running four, should match, or surpass the SC's in the spl aspect.
post #658 of 3055 Old 02-24-2009, 09:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Forgot to mention, as far as dialing them in, I plan on having Jeff Meier (umr) calibrating the system, thats where the feedback destroyer, or SMS-1 come into play.
post #659 of 3055 Old 02-24-2009, 09:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Forgot to mention, as far as dialing them in, I plan on having Jeff Meier (umr) calibrating the system, thats where the feedback destroyer, or SMS-1 come into play.

haha well excellent, just making sure you had all the bases covered

But yeah four ML's would be pretty intense! I dont have any real experience with them so i can't really comment any more, but when i did hear them they sounded great!

Any reasons why you have not thrown out REL as an option?

post #660 of 3055 Old 02-25-2009, 05:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

haha well excellent, just making sure you had all the bases covered

But yeah four ML's would be pretty intense! I dont have any real experience with them so i can't really comment any more, but when i did hear them they sounded great!

Any reasons why you have not thrown out REL as an option?

Price.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page