post #721 of 3082 Old 03-11-2009, 11:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanaticalism View Post

So you really feel that a single 113 would outperform dual Abyss? That is impressive. I will have to try and localize one for demo.

IMO yes. The F113 is just a more capable sub. Again the Abyss is a great sub, but it just can't compete with some of the well regarded, higher priced subs on the market. From what BB has to offer the Abyss is a great choice, but in the rest of the market there is some subs that just blow it out of the water.

I am still kicking myself to this day for not picking up my buddies mint condtion REL R-305 for $700....ugh..but i had just bought my Mozarts and was broke so i was unable to lol.

My other friend has dual AV123 MFW-15's and they are rockin subs!!!! For the $1200 he spent on the duals i dont know how anyone could not be happy with the ability of those dual 15" quick woofers.

MY favorite sub to date though is this....http://home.jlaudio.com/products_sub....php?page_id=3

just freakin unbelieveable!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 3082 Old 03-12-2009, 01:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
The link is broken Big.

I would probably buy used from Agon on the JL. There is just so much that I want to do (also looking into a slim line Mid Atlantic rack), but with a child on the way, and the state of the economy, not to mention my line of work, I have to play it safe, and do things slowly.
post #723 of 3082 Old 03-12-2009, 05:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The link is broken Big.

I would probably buy used from Agon on the JL. There is just so much that I want to do (also looking into a slim line Mid Atlantic rack), but with a child on the way, and the state of the economy, not to mention my line of work, I have to play it safe, and do things slowly.

Whoops sorry lol. It was a link for the JL g213 Gotham...sexy, incredible sounding sub

Mid Atlantic racks are real nice, but definately get the other goodies first . How does the wife like the SQ of the Mozarts?
post #724 of 3082 Old 03-12-2009, 08:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigred7078 View Post

Whoops sorry lol. It was a link for the JL g213 Gotham...sexy, incredible sounding sub

Mid Atlantic racks are real nice, but definately get the other goodies first . How does the wife like the SQ of the Mozarts?

They have gone from up against the back wall, to about two feet from it. I think it is safe to say she likes them enough to JUST complain a LITTLE. lol
post #725 of 3082 Old 03-12-2009, 08:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

They have gone from up against the back wall, to about two feet from it. I think it is safe to say she likes them enough to JUST complain a LITTLE. lol

well thats actually a big step!!!

at least considering your previous def techs were wall mounted.
post #726 of 3082 Old 03-12-2009, 09:33 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:

Well, I do have the Mozarts set to "Large", as will the Maestro Grand be set to "Large".

As for power, I am running Outlaws, with a Denon as my Pre. I am exploring other options for amplification. I am also looking to replace the Denon as well.

Pre/pros I am considering:
Marantz 8003
Rotel 1570
Integra 9.9

Amplification:
Wyred 4 Sound
Rotel 15xx
B&K

I've been quite happy with my Integra DTR-9.9, I assume you are looking at the DHC-9.9 though. I've not experienced any delay (I think they really mean dropout) in the audio when changing tracks/channels on a device over HDMI. The closest to this problem I've had is the audio cuts out when the projector finally finishes booting and wants to handshake with everything else. After this it seems to play audio fine even if the picture resolution changes. Right now I only have a bluray player and my Directv HD-DVR sending both sound and video over HDMI, I have my HTPC using DVI->HDMI for the vid through the receiver (this actually fixed some handshaking with it under vista + windows 7 when it was hooked directly to the PJ) and the sounds over digital coax. I run everything as large (I have Mozart/Maestro/Waltz) and it sounds great, I think part of this is the REL T-1 setup allows it to get both the LFE channel and also the the signal going to the Mozarts via the Speakon cable.
post #727 of 3082 Old 03-12-2009, 12:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

well thats actually a big step!!!

at least considering your previous def techs were wall mounted.

Oh yeah.
post #728 of 3082 Old 03-12-2009, 12:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted_Briggs View Post

I've been quite happy with my Integra DTR-9.9, I assume you are looking at the DHC-9.9 though. I've not experienced any delay (I think they really mean dropout) in the audio when changing tracks/channels on a device over HDMI. The closest to this problem I've had is the audio cuts out when the projector finally finishes booting and wants to handshake with everything else. After this it seems to play audio fine even if the picture resolution changes. Right now I only have a bluray player and my Directv HD-DVR sending both sound and video over HDMI, I have my HTPC using DVI->HDMI for the vid through the receiver (this actually fixed some handshaking with it under vista + windows 7 when it was hooked directly to the PJ) and the sounds over digital coax. I run everything as large (I have Mozart/Maestro/Waltz) and it sounds great, I think part of this is the REL T-1 setup allows it to get both the LFE channel and also the the signal going to the Mozarts via the Speakon cable.

Yeah, I am looking at the DHC. Reliability and customer service seem to be the pet peeves from what I have read with the Integra/Onkyo. That, and a subpar analog section, which isn't that big of a deal to me, since I do everything via HDMI.
post #729 of 3082 Old 03-12-2009, 12:47 PM
Ese
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:

I don't think I got a response, but, what is everyone running their Hayden Grands? Large?

I know Dave recommended the Waltzs be set to large.

Note: These will be used as my surrounds, if they ever get here that is...

Hope this helps. I don't have Haydn Grands but I do have Maestro Grands and a Mozart Grands. And I am running JL Audio sub. I went through the large vs. small thing. Per Dave Carr and the gentlemen that I bought the Viennas from it was run them at Large. Per JL Audio it was run them at small (and even crossover at 100+ hz). I tried both. Like everything in this hobby there is no absolute--just what you prefer and like. I did not notice a major difference between running Large vs. Small. But I have been running mine at Large.

Ese.
post #730 of 3082 Old 03-12-2009, 01:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Thank you for your response Ese.

I also run the MGs large. Not all subs integrate alike, so I'll just have to wait and see.
post #731 of 3082 Old 03-12-2009, 01:50 PM
Ese
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thevendetta View Post

The JL Fathom is my next sub purchase for sure - they are absolutely amazing in every respect. I use a ML abyss right now - it does a great job and blends really well with my BBGs. But the JL will be mine!

thevendetta:

Because this is my hobby and because it is my nature, I did fairly thorough research when looking for a sub. This included bringing some home for demos. And I decided on the JL Fathom. For my taste and ear this was the absolute best sub for my system. So, I don't think you could go wrong with the Fathom. I'll tell you that the most popular model is the f113 but I went with the f112. The f113 does down a bit lower and may be a bit better for movies, but the f112 goes higher and is a bit better for music (and I think it does a fantastic job for movies also). But I decided the f112 was the sweet spot in the fathom product line for me. And I have never looked back. But, if possible, do what I did and bring some subs home and see what your ear likes.

Ese.
post #732 of 3082 Old 03-12-2009, 02:03 PM
Ese
Advanced Member

Quote:

IMO yes. The F113 is just a more capable sub. ..

MY favorite sub to date though is this....http://home.jlaudio.com/products_sub....php?page_id=3

just freakin unbelieveable!

I coudn't agree with you more Bigred. IMHO.

Ese out
post #733 of 3082 Old 03-12-2009, 08:15 PM
Ese
Advanced Member

Quote:

The link is broken Big.

Fanaticalism:

In this economy--I don't blame you. You are doing the right thing. Your wife and your child are blessed to have someone in their life with your head where it is.

Ese.
post #734 of 3082 Old 03-12-2009, 08:52 PM

Does anyone have the actual box (packaging) dimensions for the Mozart Grands? I would have to travel to purchase these speakers and need to know if I have to get them delivered or if they will fit in my backseat. Thanks in advance.
post #735 of 3082 Old 03-12-2009, 08:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HisHeirness23 View Post

Does anyone have the actual box (packaging) dimensions for the Mozart Grands? I would have to travel to purchase these speakers and need to know if I have to get them delivered or if they will fit in my backseat. Thanks in advance.

Back seat of a what? The boxes are not small. They are around 60" (roughly), and around a foot wide, and 2 feet deep.

This is all an estimate, as the boxes are in the attic, and I am not in the mood to go up and measure.
post #736 of 3082 Old 03-12-2009, 09:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ese View Post

Fanaticalism:

In this economy--I don't blame you. You are doing the right thing. Your wife and your child are blessed to have someone in their life with your head where it is.

Ese.

Thank you for the kind words Ese. Sacrificing a little A/V just shows how much we LOVE OUR CHILDREN. Fast forward 20 years..."Son, to show how much I love you, I want yoy to know that I put off upgrading my system for you" lol.
post #737 of 3082 Old 03-12-2009, 10:00 PM

Liked: 19
Hi All,
I need a bit of feed back, opinions, thoughts and experiences. First I have a VERY small room, 12'L x 10'W with one window against one of the 12' walls, in which I have setup the following gear (I will get to the gear in a minute). This room, and the gear will be used 100% of the time for music, and is not my primary listing room. Maybe I will add a flat panel in there down the road. With that said I have the following all Gloss Black.
1 - A pairs of VA Bach Grands
2 - A VA Theatro for Center
3 - Velodyne SPL-R 800
4 - Pioneer SC-05

I purchased the above back in Nov.'08 and I finally got around to getting it out of storage and setting it up about a 2 weeks ago. So far I have been adjusting speaker placement, angles, audio EQ, etc and it sounds ok. I am starting to think the SC-05 is not really cutting it so I am thinking of getting a 3 channel amp. My original plan was to purchase the McIntosh MC-303 but I think it's WAY over kill for what I'm doing here. So I have been pondering about getting the Emotive XPA-3. I know, I know McIntosh to Emotiva? But for the size of the room and the fact that this is not my main listing room, spending $10K on a amp for this particular room seems overkill. I don't know maybe I will still go with it depending on the feed back to my Q's below.

My question is this for those who are using VA and Emotiva.
1 - What do you think?
2 - What others Amps did you try before selecting the Emotiva?
3 - Whats your config in regards to VA and Emotiva?
4 - If you had to pick a different amp would you go with the same Emotiva setup or would you go with a different setup or a different brand all together?
5 - I read on Emotiva's site that they have a 30 day return policy, but I have also heard that they sometimes are a bit flaky on that. Any truth to that?
6 - Is the XPA-3 rack mountable?
7 - Is anyone using a SC-05 (or 07 for that matter) with VA and Emotiva or with VA and another amp. maunf.?

I am starting to think I want to scrap the Pioneer SC-05 also. Since I purchased back in Nov '08 and it's to late to return it I just might put it on eBay.

At any rate, thanks for the feedback.
post #738 of 3082 Old 03-13-2009, 12:29 AM

Quote:

Back seat of a what? The boxes are not small. They are around 60" (roughly), and around a foot wide, and 2 feet deep.

This is all an estimate, as the boxes are in the attic, and I am not in the mood to go up and measure.

All of the descriptions list the height as being close to 40". My friend will be driving a 4-door Acura TL which may not have enough space if the boxes really are 60" tall. Does anyone have the box lying around that might be able to take a quick measurement?
post #739 of 3082 Old 03-13-2009, 12:47 AM

Quote:

The pair fit in the backseat of a Toyota Yaris sedan (with the seat folded back, so they were halfway in the trunk). The Yaris is a SMALL car, so I'd be surprised if they didn't fit in a TL.
post #740 of 3082 Old 03-13-2009, 12:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoGo Delicious View Post

Hi All,
I need a bit of feed back, opinions, thoughts and experiences. First I have a VERY small room, 12'L x 10'W with one window against one of the 12' walls, in which I have setup the following gear (I will get to the gear in a minute). This room, and the gear will be used 100% of the time for music, and is not my primary listing room. Maybe I will add a flat panel in there down the road. With that said I have the following all Gloss Black.
1 - A pairs of VA Bach Grands
2 - A VA Theatro for Center
3 - Velodyne SPL-R 800
4 - Pioneer SC-05

I purchased the above back in Nov.'08 and I finally got around to getting it out of storage and setting it up about a 2 weeks ago. So far I have been adjusting speaker placement, angles, audio EQ, etc and it sounds ok. I am starting to think the SC-05 is not really cutting it so I am thinking of getting a 3 channel amp. My original plan was to purchase the McIntosh MC-303 but I think it's WAY over kill for what I'm doing here. So I have been pondering about getting the Emotive XPA-3. I know, I know McIntosh to Emotiva? But for the size of the room and the fact that this is not my main listing room, spending $10K on a amp for this particular room seems overkill. I don't know maybe I will still go with it depending on the feed back to my Q's below.

My question is this for those who are using VA and Emotiva.
1 - What do you think?
2 - What others Amps did you try before selecting the Emotiva?
3 - Whats your config in regards to VA and Emotiva?
4 - If you had to pick a different amp would you go with the same Emotiva setup or would you go with a different setup or a different brand all together?
5 - I read on Emotiva's site that they have a 30 day return policy, but I have also heard that they sometimes are a bit flaky on that. Any truth to that?
6 - Is the XPA-3 rack mountable?
7 - Is anyone using a SC-05 (or 07 for that matter) with VA and Emotiva or with VA and another amp. maunf.?

I am starting to think I want to scrap the Pioneer SC-05 also. Since I purchased back in Nov '08 and it's to late to return it I just might put it on eBay.

At any rate, thanks for the feedback.

I'm the only owner of VA and Emotiva that i know of on this forum. Over at the actual Emotiva lounge there are a few others.

I've spoken about it enough, but i absolutely love the combo. I have the mozart grands and maestro grand and they sound just fantastic with my XPA-3 and RPA-1. Couldnt recommend them enough if your not looking to spend the big bucks.
post #741 of 3082 Old 03-13-2009, 12:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

All of the descriptions list the height as being close to 40". My friend will be driving a 4-door Acura TL which may not have enough space if the boxes really are 60" tall. Does anyone have the box lying around that might be able to take a quick measurement?

45x9x15
post #742 of 3082 Old 03-13-2009, 01:09 AM
AVS Special Member

GoGo,

The SC should be able to drive them, but then again, what kind of levels do you listen at?

Did you demo them before you bought them, and if so, what was powering them? The B&O ICE modules have their own characteristical trait (one which I really like with the VA's).

There are many happy owners of Emotiva, but I cannot comment on them, since I have never demoed them. There have even been some with what would be considered as "HiFi" equipment, who have made the jump to Emotiva as well; some very happy, and others not so much.

From the information that I have gathered, there seems to be some inconsistency in both their products, and customer service. This is again, only what I have read, and also, it is important to mention, that I have never seen a consumer electronic without malfunction, as it comes with the territory.

I too am in search of amplification, which I listed above if you'd like to take a look.
post #743 of 3082 Old 03-13-2009, 11:23 AM

Hi Fanaticalism
Thanks for you feed back appreciated.

Quote:

GoGo,
The SC should be able to drive them, but then again, what kind of levels do you listen at?

Not too loud. Between - 30db to -10db depending on the type of music I am listing to.

Quote:

Did you demo them before you bought them, and if so, what was powering them? The B&O ICE modules have their own characteristical trait (one which I really like with the VA's).

I did demo them with various Denon, Pioneer and Yamaha Receivers. The VA with the SC-05 sounded great as did the Denon.

I am thinking it may be the room itself. I am going to move the system into a different room and experiment. First I am going to setup the SC-05 and VA's and see how it sounds in the other room. I have some B&W's and I am going tot run those through the SC-05 and see how those sound with the SC-05 and see it I like what I hear. Who knows maybe it's not the SC-05. I did run the VA's through the amps the B&W's are on and they sounded great. Again, maybe it's the room, maybe it's the SC-05. Either way I would still like feed back on 3 channel amps that people are using with VA's.

Thanks.
post #744 of 3082 Old 03-13-2009, 11:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hi Fanaticalism
Thanks for you feed back appreciated.

Not too loud. Between - 30db to -10db depending on the type of music I am listing to.

I did demo them with various Denon, Pioneer and Yamaha Receivers. The VA with the SC-05 sounded great as did the Denon.

I am thinking it may be the room itself. I am going to move the system into a different room and experiment. First I am going to setup the SC-05 and VA's and see how it sounds in the other room. I have some B&W's and I am going tot run those through the SC-05 and see how those sound with the SC-05 and see it I like what I hear. Who knows maybe it's not the SC-05. I did run the VA's through the amps the B&W's are on and they sounded great. Again, maybe it's the room, maybe it's the SC-05. Either way I would still like feed back on 3 channel amps that people are using with VA's.

Thanks.

The SC-05 is a great receiver, but it doesnt handle 4-ohm loads that well.
post #745 of 3082 Old 03-13-2009, 11:30 AM

Hi Bigread,

Quote:

I'm the only owner of VA and Emotiva that i know of on this forum. Over at the actual Emotiva lounge there are a few others.

I've spoken about it enough, but i absolutely love the combo. I have the mozart grands and maestro grand and they sound just fantastic with my XPA-3 and RPA-1. Couldnt recommend them enough if your not looking to spend the big bucks.

Thanks for the feedback. Did you try other amps before you settled on the Emotiva's?
post #746 of 3082 Old 03-13-2009, 11:47 AM

Hey, Bigred, how do you feel about running the Mozarts/Schonbergs with a UPC-2? I know it's not an ideal solution, but for budget reasons, I wanted to do that, and then later, grab an XPA-3, and use the UPC-2 for rear duty. Feasible, or should I just save up for an XPA-5 or similar 5-channel amp?
post #747 of 3082 Old 03-13-2009, 11:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hi Bigread,

Thanks for the feedback. Did you try other amps before you settled on the Emotiva's?

I've tried plenty of amps but i just loved the emotivas for SQ they produced and the amount of coin i can spend (im a young guy with not alot of throw around money).

I recently got a job at ony of my local audio shops and i'm going to enjoy being able to play around with alot of the newer Anthem gear.
post #748 of 3082 Old 03-14-2009, 02:17 PM

Not sure if this is the best place for this, but I have a pair of Haydn's in cherry that are brand new, sealed in box. PM me if you're interested.
post #749 of 3082 Old 03-14-2009, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCentral View Post

The pair fit in the backseat of a Toyota Yaris sedan (with the seat folded back, so they were halfway in the trunk). The Yaris is a SMALL car, so I'd be surprised if they didn't fit in a TL.

Thanks, I will probably go and pick them up tomorrow if they have them in stock. Do they come with a lot of packaging material? I am thinking that if worst came to worst, we could remove them from the boxes and take them as is. Do they have any kind of covering for the speakers (i.e. flat panel tvs with their plastic covering)?
post #750 of 3082 Old 03-14-2009, 07:01 PM
Ese
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thanks, I will probably go and pick them up tomorrow if they have them in stock. Do they come with a lot of packaging material? I am thinking that if worst came to worst, we could remove them from the boxes and take them as is. Do they have any kind of covering for the speakers (i.e. flat panel tvs with their plastic covering)?

Not a lot of packing material. The stands are in a separate box within the primary box. The stand pieces are in a form-fitting styrofoam parts holder within these boxes. The speakers come wrapped in a white packing material. The grilles are on the speakers with some rubber mounts between the speakers and the speaker enclosure. And that's about it. There will also be a pair of gloves in there for handling the speakers. This is a nice touch but the durability of the gloves is questionable.

Hope this helps. Enjoy your trip and your speakers.

Ese.
Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page