Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #2581 of 3044 Old 03-04-2012, 07:13 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Hi,

Toe-in refers to how much a speaker is angled in towards a listener. If the front baffle of the speaker is parallel to the wall behind the speaker, there is no toe-in. As you pivot a speaker using the rear, outside spike towards the listening position, you are increasing the amount of toe-in.

Best,

Patrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamtimemusic View Post

What is a toe-in?

Thanks.

S

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2582 of 3044 Old 03-04-2012, 06:48 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Butler View Post

Hi Nick,

Where did you purchase new Vienna Acoustics loudspeakers where the original drivers had been replaced by "fake" drivers, or were these new speakers for you, but purchased on the used marketplace?

Best wishes,

Patrick
Vienna Acoustics- North America

I got it used from Craigslist. Very inexpensively, but now I guess I have to pay for it now . I worked with John to get me two tweeters to replace the blown one and get me two matching, original ones. It's good that you guys are in Seattle area as I am - i just picked them up at your office.

That's a price to pay for buying used speakers. I guess the speaker enclosures that Vienna makes can make even ****** speaker sound fantastically That says a lot about the company and the speakers!!! At a price of ~$500 for 4 mids, I'm not sure when I will replace them - It bugs me to have $12 speaker in $4,000 system, but finances are tight right now, so I have to wait - and the sound is amazingly good.

After I matched Vienna's with tube amplifier - I just can't believe how phenomenally everything sounds.
post #2583 of 3044 Old 03-05-2012, 12:06 PM

I'm contemplating pulling the trigger on the Trio from the Schonberg series. Does anyone know where I could find a picture of this with the wall mount. I want to see how obtrusive the wall mount will look..preferably a picture of the Trio in piano black as well. Vienna Acoustics' website has limited pictures of the Trio (none in piano black) and I can't get any kind of a picture or description of the wall mount (online or from my local dealer).

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

-Wes
post #2584 of 3044 Old 03-06-2012, 06:23 AM

Hi Wes,

There are no piano black Trio photos available. However, I do have photos of the rest of the Schonberg series in piano black. I also have photos of what the wall mounts look like for the series. Would these be helpful?

Best,

Patrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by .Capstone View Post

I'm contemplating pulling the trigger on the Trio from the Schonberg series. Does anyone know where I could find a picture of this with the wall mount. I want to see how obtrusive the wall mount will look..preferably a picture of the Trio in piano black as well. Vienna Acoustics' website has limited pictures of the Trio (none in piano black) and I can't get any kind of a picture or description of the wall mount (online or from my local dealer).

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

-Wes

post #2585 of 3044 Old 03-06-2012, 09:24 AM

Quote:

Hi Wes,

There are no piano black Trio photos available. However, I do have photos of the rest of the Schonberg series in piano black. I also have photos of what the wall mounts look like for the series. Would these be helpful?

Best,

Patrick

Yes. These would be very helpful! Thank you. I'll PM you with my email.

-Wes
post #2586 of 3044 Old 03-08-2012, 11:09 PM

Bizarre issue with my left waltz surround. Am running a Vienna system with mozart fronts, theatro center and waltz rears all powered by a Pioneer Elite SC-25. When watching Hawaii 5-0 and some other CBS programs I get a funny buzz coming from the left waltz. It's definitely most pronounced when watching Hawaii 5-0. This does not happen when watching blue rays or any other channel on television. Looking at the speaker, it does not seem to be blown and I don't really listen at loud volumes anyways. Any ideas out there?
post #2587 of 3044 Old 03-09-2012, 08:56 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by rezalon View Post

Bizarre issue with my left waltz surround. Am running a Vienna system with mozart fronts, theatro center and waltz rears all powered by a Pioneer Elite SC-25. When watching Hawaii 5-0 and some other CBS programs I get a funny buzz coming from the left waltz. It's definitely most pronounced when watching Hawaii 5-0. This does not happen when watching blue rays or any other channel on television. Looking at the speaker, it does not seem to be blown and I don't really listen at loud volumes anyways. Any ideas out there?

Try swapping it with the right Waltz. Does the sound move with the speaker or stay in the left channel?
post #2588 of 3044 Old 03-12-2012, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezalon View Post

I have a similar buzz/distortion on my right speaker of a pair of VA Bach. Thing is, I've had these speakers for over a year now and I've only ever noticed it when listening to certain songs on one particular album (Gonzales' album solo piano, track "C.M. Blues" especially). It worried me at first, but since I've never heard any buzz/distortion on any other music or movies I decided not to worry about it. Of course, following this thread I saw your post and was reminding of it, so I swapped speakers via the speaker wire (left speaker input wire to right speaker and vice versa) to see if the buzz/distortion switched speakers -- It didn't.
post #2589 of 3044 Old 03-13-2012, 03:57 PM

Update: I just fixed the screetchy distortion I was having from my right tweeter by tightening all the screws with an allen wrench. They were all pretty tight but I gave'em a little extra, played back the offending song(s), and pleased to find that the distortion went away for me (hopefully, it lasts). May the solution be as simple for you!

Edit: Maybe, it's just my imagination, but I swear the Bachs sound a little better now.
post #2590 of 3044 Old 03-13-2012, 08:32 PM

Patrick, If you get a chance and have any info on this, I'd appreciate having your thoughts. It's been mentioned that correct stand height for the Haydn Grands is comparatively high, about 27 to 28 inches. I'm wondering whether this is primarily to achieve the proper listening axis or is it intended to address interaction with the floor (cancellation effects, reinforcement, etc.). I'm wondering whether a lower stand, with the speakers tilted back slightly might achieve the same things as a taller stand. Thanks so much.
-Bob
post #2591 of 3044 Old 03-14-2012, 07:42 AM

Hi Bob,

We do recommend a stand between 27-28". A lower stand will increase the interaction between the mid woofer and the floor, which tends to increase power in the bass at the expense of clarity. This can be partially remedied by raking the speaker back (tilting) as you pointed out. Rake effects where the phase angle of the speaker is pointed (ears versus floor), alignment with the other channel and where the floor bounce cancellation takes place. Ideally you would use an adjustable stand for fine tuning. These can make a big difference sonically, but at the expense of a more complicated setup.

Best,

Patrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by hesson11 View Post

Patrick, If you get a chance and have any info on this, I'd appreciate having your thoughts. It's been mentioned that correct stand height for the Haydn Grands is comparatively high, about 27 to 28 inches. I'm wondering whether this is primarily to achieve the proper listening axis or is it intended to address interaction with the floor (cancellation effects, reinforcement, etc.). I'm wondering whether a lower stand, with the speakers tilted back slightly might achieve the same things as a taller stand. Thanks so much.
-Bob

post #2592 of 3044 Old 03-14-2012, 10:16 AM

Thanks a million, Patrick.
-Bob
post #2593 of 3044 Old 03-14-2012, 10:25 AM

Hi Alexander,

If the screws are loose for whatever reason, tightening them will result in better sound.

Starting with the introduction of the Concert Grand Series, we have been using custom screws that we designed for optimal use in our baffles. That said, screws can loosen over the long term and a little hand-tightening is worth the effort.

Best,

Patrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexander717 View Post

Update: I just fixed the screetchy distortion I was having from my right tweeter by tightening all the screws with an allen wrench. They were all pretty tight but I gave'em a little extra, played back the offending song(s), and pleased to find that the distortion went away for me (hopefully, it lasts). May the solution be as simple for you!

Edit: Maybe, it's just my imagination, but I swear the Bachs sound a little better now.

post #2594 of 3044 Old 03-15-2012, 09:38 AM

I just wanna know what is the optimal placement distance between Vienna Haydn grand...

my are like less then 2 feet ...so i was thinking being this good speaker there should be some optimum distance these two speakers need...

what is the optimum listening distance from these and what is otimum distance to be placed between these two speakers...

V
post #2595 of 3044 Old 03-15-2012, 11:31 AM

Hi,

The optimal distance apart is dependent on your room and your distance from your speakers if you sit down when listening. Normally, I recommend between 5-7ft apart. As the distance between the speakers increases, more toe-in is used to focus the speakers.

Best wishes,

Patrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by indianguyinny24 View Post

I just wanna know what is the optimal placement distance between Vienna Haydn grand...

my are like less then 2 feet ...so i was thinking being this good speaker there should be some optimum distance these two speakers need...

what is the optimum listening distance from these and what is otimum distance to be placed between these two speakers...

V

post #2596 of 3044 Old 03-18-2012, 09:33 PM

Hello everyone:

New here, so thanks for putting up with any silly or poorly phrased questions. I have heard the Mozart Grands and Beethoven Grands and am considering getting some used. I have two questions:

How much difference is there between the older model, and the new SE model of each?

Second, how much will I need to spend on amplification to make the speakers sound as they should? I am looking only for two channel stereo, plus CD player. If I were to go for the Beethoven Grands, would the cost be significantly higher for amplification?

Thanks in advance for any responses.
post #2597 of 3044 Old 03-19-2012, 03:27 PM

Hello everyone!

I have been enjoying my Haydn Grands with a Rel T3 for over a year now, and I would like to upgrade. I have found a single Mozart Grand in cherry for a great price, but of course I'll need two of them. If anyone has any leads on a single speaker Mozart Grand please let me know. I do have a dealer in the area that will sell me a single, but my budget has me hoping I can find someone with a one off/odd man out that won't break the bank.

I am willing to go the refurb/used route, but the one I found is NIB, so that would be ideal. Thanks!
post #2598 of 3044 Old 03-24-2012, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shmalan View Post

Hello.
I have an Arcam Fmj A38 100w/ch integrated as well as the Arcam Fmj Cd17 cd player.I am planning on buying a Rel R328 subwoofer to upgrade the Monitor Audio FB110 that I have.
I am in the process of scouting for a new speaker for my 2.1 system and have narrowed it down to a few contenders.The Mozart Grands are at the top of my list.
Will my Arcam gear run these speakers well enough to show me what they are capable of?Would the Baby Grands be okay or would the Mozarts be a better match?

I am going to answer my question.
Shortly after my first post to this site I took my Arcam Fmj A38 to the store selling VA speakers.They had an Arcam Fmj Cd17 on hand so I did not need to bring my player.The ic's were the same as mine and we used a Rel R328 to provide sub bass.So the system would be exactly as it would be at my home with the exception of the room and speaker cable(I have Kimber 4tc,the store used Cardas crosslink).
I was interested in hearing a pair of Revel Performa M22's but decided to listen to the VA Mozart Grand first.I fell in love with the sound right off the get go.My amp had no problem making this speaker perform.For grins I decided to hook up the Beethoven Concert Grands to see how they would do with my amp.They sounded a little thin and lifeless compared to the Mozarts.I am guessing this is because they are too much for my amp.We hooked them up to more power and they opened up quite nicely but I still preferred the Mozarts.
I did give the Revel's a listen and they are very nice bookshelves but not near as nice as the VA's.Of course I am comparing a 2-way bookshelf to a 2 1/2-way tower so it's not a fair comparison even with the Rel providing bass.
In the end I left the store feeling thoroughly pleased knowing that I have found a speaker that I can finally be truly happy in ownership.The Mozart Grand is a fantastic speaker that is a great match for my gear and I will be getting a pair most definitely!!
I have a question involving the spiked feet assemblies.I have some pricey spiked outriggers that will provide a larger and more stable footprint than the ones that come with the Mozarts.If they fit without modifying the Mozarts I plan to use them.Will this be okay or cause issues with the speakers sound?

Arcam Fmj A38,Arcam Fmj CD17, Arcam rDac kw,Vienna Acoustics Mozart Grand Se,Rel R-328,Cardas Golden Presence and Crosslink ic's,Kimber 4tc,VH Audio power cords,Shunyata Venom PS8 & Defender & HC power cord, Furutech wall outlets.
post #2599 of 3044 Old 03-27-2012, 11:31 AM

Hi Shmalan,

Glad to hear that you had a great experience with a dealer. Audio Ark by chance?

The outriggers that you are considering using should not harm the speakers in any way that I can think of. I would be curious to hear your experience with them after you have had a chance to listen.

Best wishes,

Patrick Butler
post #2600 of 3044 Old 03-27-2012, 01:38 PM

Cliff's Notes;

I need a ctr channel to go with my Mozart Grand SE's, but it needs to be less than 18" wide. Any suggestions aside from getting a new tv stand or cutting the mofo?

Hello Vienna people!

I got in on the BB closeout deal on a pair of Haydn Grands. Fell in love with the sound and recently bought a pair of Mozart Grand SE's (rosewood) at a local home audio store. they sound great though they could use some more power than what they're currently (no pun intented) being fed. Pio Elite VSX-21TXH for now, but maybe I'll get an Emotive xpa-3 soon. Anyway, that's neither here nor there....

My question-
I need a center channel to match them for 5.1 SACD and some movies. Maestro is the obvious choice BUT it won't fit in the center channel compartment of my tv stand so I'm in a bit of a pickle. It needs to be 18" wide or less. Height and depth not an issue (within reason).

Any chance in hell I'll find something worthy with that size limitation???

Thanks in advance!
post #2601 of 3044 Old 03-27-2012, 02:48 PM

Hello, I am searching high and low for a maestro grand in piano black and do not have a dealer in my area. Any suggestions gentlemen?

Thanks
post #2602 of 3044 Old 03-27-2012, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilintner View Post

Hello, I am searching high and low for a maestro grand in piano black and do not have a dealer in my area. Any suggestions gentlemen?

Thanks

where y'at?
post #2603 of 3044 Old 03-27-2012, 05:56 PM

Liked: 37
[quote=danj1111;21835568]Cliff's Notes;

I need a ctr channel to go with my Mozart Grand SE's, but it needs to be less than 18" wide. Any suggestions aside from getting a new tv stand or cutting the mofo?

So you are looking for recommendation of a center channel from another manufacturer that might match up well with the VA Mozart SE's because VA makes no center under 18" wide?

If so and if I had the same problem, I would look for a center that has a soft dome tweeter similar to the Vienna and stay away from all other brands using metal tweeters, horns, ribbons, etc. This should help in timbre matching. I would also look for mid-woofers similar in size that VA uses in their centers. Finally I would consider the overall finish and how well it would match my VA's; black grills, real wood veneer, etc., all the while being mindful of the width limitation. Here is one center that comes to mind from a very respected manufacturer that 16.9" wide that may work.

http://www.tsto.com/Quad_L2_Center_Speaker_p/3341.htm

What color are your Mozart SE's? If Cherry, you will be pleased to know the Quad L series are high gloss Cherry too, very similar to Vienna finishes.

Good luck in your serach.

Parasound 5125, Parasound 2100, Pro-ject RM 5.1SE, Dynavector 10x5, Pro-ject Phono Box S, Pro-ject Speed Box II, Arcam FMJ CD17, Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Pioneer Elite BDP-52FD, Vienna Acoustics Bach Grands, Vienna Acoustics Theatro Grand, Wharfedale Diamond 9.2s, REL T-1 & Panasonic TC-P54S1
post #2604 of 3044 Old 03-27-2012, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danj1111 View Post

where y'at?

In the florida panhandle, constant searches on ebay and audiogon are getting old!
post #2605 of 3044 Old 03-27-2012, 09:03 PM

I saw a black Maestro recently show up on audiogon.com.
post #2606 of 3044 Old 03-28-2012, 06:42 AM

Quote:

Hi Shmalan,

Glad to hear that you had a great experience with a dealer. Audio Ark by chance?

Best wishes,

Patrick Butler

Hello Patrick.Audio Ark is the dealer I went to.Always a good experience shopping there,can't say the same for a few other high-end shops in this area.
You will have to wait a few months before I can give any feedback on the Mozarts.I have come into a bit of money and am waiting for all of the legalities to be finalized,worse than waiting for a red light to turn green in rush hour traffic.
I have one more question.I have noticed in most reviews that I have found for the Mozart Grands that the review samples are the Mozart Grand Se's with spider-cone woofers.Audio Ark's samples are not the Se's.They do not have spider-cone woofers but rather the X3P midbass drivers instead.Is the Se version not available anymore?Is the version I am seeing as good,better or worse than the Se version?
Thanks,
Alan

Arcam Fmj A38,Arcam Fmj CD17, Arcam rDac kw,Vienna Acoustics Mozart Grand Se,Rel R-328,Cardas Golden Presence and Crosslink ic's,Kimber 4tc,VH Audio power cords,Shunyata Venom PS8 & Defender & HC power cord, Furutech wall outlets.
post #2607 of 3044 Old 03-28-2012, 09:23 AM

Hi Alan,

Symphony Edition models are the latest versions of our Concert Grand Series speakers. Mozart Grand has been discontinued since last spring and we have been shipping the SE version. I'm 99% sure what you saw at Audio Ark was SE Mozart, as we never shipped them the original version.

In any case, there is a substantial improvement from Mozart Grand to Mozart Grand SE. More presence, more defined attack, more resolution, greater low frequency reach. A real winner in my book.

Best,

Patrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shmalan View Post

Hello Patrick.Audio Ark is the dealer I went to.Always a good experience shopping there,can't say the same for a few other high-end shops in this area.
You will have to wait a few months before I can give any feedback on the Mozarts.I have come into a bit of money and am waiting for all of the legalities to be finalized,worse than waiting for a red light to turn green in rush hour traffic.
I have one more question.I have noticed in most reviews that I have found for the Mozart Grands that the review samples are the Mozart Grand Se's with spider-cone woofers.Audio Ark's samples are not the Se's.They do not have spider-cone woofers but rather the X3P midbass drivers instead.Is the Se version not available anymore?Is the version I am seeing as good,better or worse than the Se version?
Thanks,
Alan

post #2608 of 3044 Old 03-28-2012, 01:19 PM

What is the price of the Symphony Edition models?

Thanks.

S
post #2609 of 3044 Old 03-28-2012, 01:26 PM

Hi Dreamtimemusic,

Haydn Grand Symphony Edition is $1850/$2000 pr, Mozart Grand Symphony Edition is $3500/$3850 pr depending on finish.

Two SE models are not yet shipping. Bach Grand SE is projected at $2500 pr and Beethoven Baby Grand at $4500 per pair.

Best,

Patrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamtimemusic View Post

What is the price of the Symphony Edition models?

Thanks.

S

post #2610 of 3044 Old 03-28-2012, 01:29 PM

The Beethoven Concert Grand is discontinued? I like that one. Just got a pair.

Thanks.

S
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page