ML Fresco vs Gallo Reference AV - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 03-24-2007, 11:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am looking for an on wall setup to go around my plasma. I am torn between the Martin Logan Fresco and Anthony Gallo Reference AV. I like the clarity and smooth sound of the Fresco and they seem, to me at least, more transparent than the Gallos. The Gallo speakers seem to me to have more balls, but I found the Fresco more pleasant. The Gallos I listened to only had about 20 hours on them and were under powered. Now this system will be mainly Home Theater use, maybe 15% music. I want something that will last me a long time and my worry with the Frescos is they wont be robust enough for movie tracks and might lack some midrange impact.

Also if I go with the Fresco what could I do in the rear? Martin Logan does not offer any rear small enough for where they are going (like Gallo does) and in-wall is not an option either.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 03-25-2007, 03:56 PM - Thread Starter

Come on guys, just looking for an opinion and I know there are plenty of those floating around.
post #3 of 5 Old 03-26-2007, 07:06 PM

You might have a hard time getting advice on this one.
The truth is, there aren't a ton of martin logan and anthony gallo owners here.

I've heard martin logans before but I don't know if it was the frescos. The logans I heard sounded very airy to me. The sound didn't seem real.
On the other hand I've also heard the Gallo refs 3.1 and was very impressed. The sound can seem very real esspecially on good recordings.
I'm not a jazz guy but when I auditioned them the salesmen played a jazz recording of a piano, drums, and a bass. You way the gallos displayed the instruments was like no other speaker I have ever heard before. If you closed your eyes you could make out where all the instuments were and the speakers seem to give a body to the instruments. The gallos aren't perfect, (no speaker is) I would reccomend a good sub to go with them.

If the frescos seem more revealing maybe they are. But make sure that they just aren't brightening up some of the sound in the high range and making it seem that they are more revealing. Listen to some music on both that you are familiar with to make sure that your impressions are accurate and listen for a while to see if one becomes fatigeing.
post #4 of 5 Old 03-26-2007, 11:40 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, I am listening to both tomorrow and hopefully deciding.
post #5 of 5 Old 03-28-2008, 01:45 PM

For me there is no comparison. I was originally looking at the Frescos, and when I heard them, I was so disappointed in their sound(especially considering their price tag). I recently auditioned the Reference AV's, and to me there is no comparison, AV's win hands down. I will be purchasing them in the near future. The Frescos sounded like cheap plasma speakers to me, where as the Gallos sound like high end monitors...that's my 2 cents.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page