Surround sound speakers - what kind ? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 03-26-2007, 11:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Sorry for the newb question but I'm on the last stage of completing my basement theatre room. I want to buy some speakers now. I currently have:
A Hitachi PJ-TX200 Projector (awesome picture) with a 120" fixed screen
A Denon AVR 887 receiver (100 w/channel output).

My basement is already wired for 7.1 surround sound with 16 gauge speaker wire.

I wanted to purchase a bose system but now understand you need special cabling for bose speakers. But I still want to stay with the same size speakers as Bose has (don't like the big ones). I have 3 wires on front wall (2 for front speakers that are 4' high and 1 for center channel that will go right underneath my fixed screen), 2 wires for back speakers right behind my couch in ceiling, and 2 side ones (which I will maybe get later).

I'm really not that picky with sound but would like something half decent. Can someone suggest some speakers I can purchase on fleabay ? Make/Model ??

Much appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 03-26-2007, 12:23 PM
AVS Special Member

I don't know who told you that you need special cables for Bose, but that is about as wrong as anything I have heard in reference to cables in general. If you don't mind the way Bose sounds, you will be fine with the speakers. No special cables are required. All you need to do is a simple splice onto a Bose cable to your 16 gauge. If you want something other than Bose that are the same size, Gallo and Orb Audio are about as close as you will get in something that is better quality. A lot of other companies have copied the Bose cube, but they really don't sound any better IMO.

OK, so why *again* do we need a bigger one?
post #3 of 6 Old 03-26-2007, 12:36 PM

Can you guys help me make up my mind on suround sound speakers please. I was looking at the Mirage Omnisat speakers and the Bose. I hope you guys can help me make the decision ASAP. Thanks for your input in advance.
post #4 of 6 Old 03-26-2007, 01:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttran1999 View Post

Can you guys help me make up my mind on suround sound speakers please. I was looking at the Mirage Omnisat speakers and the Bose. I hope you guys can help me make the decision ASAP. Thanks for your input in advance.

Omnisats are nice.

post #5 of 6 Old 03-26-2007, 02:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexa695 View Post

I don't know who told you that you need special cables for Bose, but that is about as wrong as anything I have heard in reference to cables in general. If you don't mind the way Bose sounds, you will be fine with the speakers. No special cables are required. All you need to do is a simple splice onto a Bose cable to your 16 gauge. If you want something other than Bose that are the same size, Gallo and Orb Audio are about as close as you will get in something that is better quality. A lot of other companies have copied the Bose cube, but they really don't sound any better IMO.

That's why I love this site............don't trust any of those sales guys............some guy at Future Shop (equivalent to Circuit City in US) told me that.

So if I'm trying to follow this, I just have to attach the bose cable to my existing speaker wire ? Sounds pretty simple. But I have noticed on flea bay that the bose set (5 speakers + center channel) comes with the required cable........kind of a waste of money if I don't need all that cable.
post #6 of 6 Old 03-27-2007, 07:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2153 View Post

That's why I love this site............don't trust any of those sales guys............some guy at Future Shop (equivalent to Circuit City in US) told me that.

So if I'm trying to follow this, I just have to attach the bose cable to my existing speaker wire ? Sounds pretty simple. But I have noticed on flea bay that the bose set (5 speakers + center channel) comes with the required cable........kind of a waste of money if I don't need all that cable.

Bose is pretty much an all in one deal. The cables have RCA conectors on one end that go directly into the bass module. That is why people thing they are some sort of propriety issues with the speaker wire. Bose cable also is not rated for in the wall installs, so anyone who has done an in the wall install with the Bose wires that came with the speakers is breaking a fire code. Bose even sells a special wall module for installation in the wall. Persoanally, if you have the time, go shop around for other speakers besides Bose. In the end, if you still think Bose is the best for your situation, at least you buy them know how other brands in your price range sound.

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page