HTD Speaker Review - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 03-28-2007, 10:35 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Does anyone have any reviews for the level 2 or 3 speakers offered by HTD? I'm considering their speakers for my HT. The primary reason that I am looking at their speakers is because of their relatively low cost. However, I want to make sure they are a good sound for the money.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 03-28-2007, 11:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

However, I want to make sure they are a good sound for the money.

And ten people "telling" you how they sound (good OR bad) is gonna do what?

Absolutely NOTHING..... you need to audition them for yourself and see how they sound to YOU. Only THEN will you know if they "sound good for the money."

Order a pair and try them for 30 days in YOUR home on YOUR gear. If you like them, order the rest and fill out your system. If not.... simply return them. They even pay the shipping both ways. How can you go wrong with that?

John W.
Indy
post #3 of 12 Old 03-28-2007, 01:00 PM

But us 'novices' wishing to hear opionons of those with more experience (this forum surely is the place from what I have seen so far) is not a crime. Perhaps I don't care to throw down my disposable income and go through all of the hoops in 'auditioning' them if I haven't seen many reviews or gotten many opinions.

I asked this a few weeks ago and the post was ignored then... at least this poster got some kind of answer.
post #4 of 12 Old 03-28-2007, 01:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnnr View Post

But us 'novices' wishing to hear opionons of those with more experience (this forum surely is the place from what I have seen so far) is not a crime. Perhaps I don't care to throw down my disposable income and go through all of the hoops in 'auditioning' them if I haven't seen many reviews or gotten many opinions.

I asked this a few weeks ago and the post was ignored then... at least this poster got some kind of answer.

I like them fine, but what John said, too. You might do a search for the reviews, as they've been discussed quite a bit recently.
post #5 of 12 Old 03-28-2007, 01:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 70
I have heard the Level 3 bookshelf in my home, and did not think they were as good as some of the other ID offerings in the same price range.

If you do a search, there are some posts about them.

-curtis

Owner of Wave Crest Audio
Volunteer Mod at the Ascend Acoustics Forum
Like all things on the Internet, do your research, as forums have a good amount of misinformation.
Help beat breast cancer!

post #6 of 12 Old 03-28-2007, 02:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnnr View Post

Sorry I missed your post. I don't get to spend very much time here.

But, look at it this way.... You are going to "throw down your disposable income" anyway, when you make a final purchase. How hard (or smart?) is it to spend just a portion of it first.... to listen and decide for yourself.

And please, don't get caught up with all of the "experience" around here.... the final and MOST IMPORTANT thing..... is what sounds good to YOU. Nothing.... and I mean NOTHING else matters. Previous experience or otherwise.

As for "going through hoops,".... HTD and SOME other ID brands offer totally risk free 30 day audition periods. IOW, they pay the shipping BOTH ways if you don't care for the product. And, you have 30 days to decide if you like it or not.

Do yourself a favor..... listen to as many speakers as you can BEFORE you buy. Both ID direct AND B & M brands. In the end.... you WILL find one that makes YOU happy. Not the rest of the "experienced" forum members.

Good luck in your search!

John W.
Indy
post #7 of 12 Old 03-28-2007, 02:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadriverfalls View Post

And please, don't get caught up with all of the "experience" around here.... the final and MOST IMPORTANT thing..... is what sounds good to YOU. Nothing.... and I mean NOTHING else matters. Previous experience or otherwise.

I dont buy this - at all.

An inexperienced buyer may listen to an expertly marketed piece of junk, and decide it sounds fine. He may not know that the bass has been fattened at certain frequencies, or that there is a hole in the midrange that is only noticeable when a piano is played.

But he could learn that stuff by reading 100 reviews.

When I went to demo my Rockets, I had read so much about them, that I basically knew what they were going to sound like when i walked in. I knew their strengths, I knew their weaknesses, etc.

It allowed me to closely examine other aspects of them at the demo, like how how much wattage they could handle, etc, but there were very few suprises.

And what i have found is that if a product is consistently raved about on these forums, its a pretty darn safe buy for the price. I mean, how many people have gone out and bought Ascends based on all the Ascend owners here, and come back and post, "Man these Ascends suck!". Or "dang i got ripped off on these X series"!

Think about it...
post #8 of 12 Old 03-29-2007, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR_IN_LA View Post

I dont buy this - at all.

An inexperienced buyer may listen to an expertly marketed piece of junk, and decide it sounds fine. He may not know that the bass has been fattened at certain frequencies, or that there is a hole in the midrange that is only noticeable when a piano is played.

But he could learn that stuff by reading 100 reviews.

When I went to demo my Rockets, I had read so much about them, that I basically knew what they were going to sound like when i walked in. I knew their strengths, I knew their weaknesses, etc.

It allowed me to closely examine other aspects of them at the demo, like how how much wattage they could handle, etc, but there were very few suprises.

And what i have found is that if a product is consistently raved about on these forums, its a pretty darn safe buy for the price. I mean, how many people have gone out and bought Ascends based on all the Ascend owners here, and come back and post, "Man these Ascends suck!". Or "dang i got ripped off on these X series"!

Think about it...

very true, with level 3 towers the bass output is quite good. I think it is a solid buy, but I would suggest a reciever that is a bit brighter. I had them hooked up to a hk 340- way too warm, pioneer 1016 has made an improvement.
post #9 of 12 Old 03-29-2007, 05:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 12
From what I remember reading here and elsewhere, they say either get the Level 2 bookshelf or the Level 3 tower, but not the Level 3 bookshelf.
post #10 of 12 Old 03-29-2007, 05:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Very few people have time to demo 100 speakers for themselves, so reviews and forums are still important for narrowing the list down to 3 or 4 models of speakers (a few more if you have the time and money). Then the decision should be made after demoing the finalists.
post #11 of 12 Old 03-29-2007, 06:32 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
I think JohnR in LA said it very well.
Another way might be, "Learn from the mistakes of others, you don't have time to make all of them yourself"

deeper than the deepest ocean
post #12 of 12 Old 04-01-2007, 06:38 PM

I bought a Level Two center and two Middies for my front channels and have really been enjoying them for about a year. I am soon probably going to buy some Level Two Towers and move the Middies to the rear.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page