AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by JN99 View Post

Very boomy across the line - tons of bass especially on the 683/4

Most people prefer to plug the port with the supplied port bungs which helps reduce the slight midbass hump. On the 684, you have the choice of plugging one or both ports. If you ever get a chance to hear them again, try asking them to do that because it completely changes the character of the bass.

Certified Ultra Professional AVS Special Member Class A
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 242 Old 10-04-2007, 05:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

I have a Salamander triple 12" base with my DLP on top. I want to add the riser and place 3 speakers under the TV. 3 HTM61 would fit perfectly 3 across.

My thoughts would be :
Too low and
better in vertical orientation.

Quote:

Hmmm, what the heck happened to this thread???

Much of the discussion has shifted to the regular B&W owners thread.

Quote:

Very boomy across the line - tons of bass especially on the 683/4 but when you get over the $1k mark these sepakers lose their appeal to me; there are simply better options at that point as far as I am concerned.

Try repositioning and play with the port plugs....yes they do have bass, I'd guess as a response to wanting to appeal to four possible scenarios:
Systems with no subs...
Systems with low power receivers....
Systems for HT...
Systems for music with impact.

Seeking a speaker recomendation? Compare for yourself or be swayed by others who hear differantly, or by marketing, or just save time and get the cheapest , nicest looking, or smallest.
post #183 of 242 Old 10-04-2007, 08:24 AM

Quote:

Very boomy across the line - tons of bass especially on the 683/4 but when you get over the $1k mark these sepakers lose their appeal to me; there are simply better options at that point as far as I am concerned.

However, I can't say at $450 I have found anything better than (or as good as) the 686. In fact, I haven't found another decent speaker at that price period.

What other options would you consider at the price point of the 683? I am in the market for some new mains and was leaning heavily toward the 683. I am also thinking about getting some Swan 6.1 and some Rocket 850 to audition since they are well reviewed around here and in the same price range.
post #184 of 242 Old 10-04-2007, 09:01 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikicult View Post

What other options would you consider at the price point of the 683? I am in the market for some new mains and was leaning heavily toward the 683. I am also thinking about getting some Swan 6.1 and some Rocket 850 to audition since they are well reviewed around here and in the same price range.

See if you can find a local dealer and demo the Monitor Audio RS6/RS8 - these are really nice sounding speakers if you are in the market for towers. The RS6 is around $1000, not sure about the RS8. Also, based on what I heard in the Era D5 (a very small bookshelf speaker) I would be very interested in Era's soon to be release tower models, which I think will start at $1700 and should start showing up later this month.

I am focused on audio only this time (these aren't going into a HT) and considering bookshelves as much as floor standers. In that regard my favorite speaker I have auditioned thus far is the Sonus Faber Concertino Domus at $1500 (well actually it was the Concerto Domus tower but for another $2k over the Concertinos, I ruled them out) - simply wonderful sounding speaker to my ears.

Also when I move up in price I like to consider a move up in speaker line as much as or more than in speaker size i.e. for B&W I would consider the CM series (which I did and was not impressed) or the 700 series bookshelf over the 600 series towers.
post #185 of 242 Old 10-04-2007, 12:09 PM

Well, I have owned my 683, HTM61 and DS6 HT set for several months now and have never gotten tired of how good they sound to me. I have played 2ch music all day on the 683s and don't get fatigue. It is funny people mention they sound bass heavy, I feel they are almost too polite with bass, probably just my room charateristics, so I usually run the sub with them. Also, I have found they definately sound better with the grills off. The grills have a lot of plastic reinforcement and it seems to shrink the soundstage when they are on.
post #186 of 242 Old 10-05-2007, 08:11 PM

Hi All,

I currently have DM303 as main and looking for an upgrade

right now i am considering 602s3 or new 685/6 (comparison ?)

how much will the improvement from upgrading 303 t0 600 series (602s3 & 685/6)?

i have around 50m2 living room. speaker is mainly to listen to music and occasionally music. Volume is medium.

I don't mind 602s3 or 685/6 cosmetics since they both appeal to me . but i can't make my mind yet.

Thanks,
post #187 of 242 Old 10-06-2007, 08:44 AM

Hello,
Audiodragom or anyone else owning or auditioning the HTM61, could you please give us a review on this center speaker. It is a 3 way center speaker and would like to hear your comments on it's ability. How do you find the film dialogue, sound dispersion and any other comments. What I find interesting is that it is a 3 way center speaker compared to a 2 way center speaker. please comment.
Thanks,
goe2112
post #188 of 242 Old 10-07-2007, 05:19 PM
Advanced Member

I have listened to both the 683 and the RS6. I liked both of the but a few thoughts...(please bear in mind I am getting used to what all these terms mean)

After auditioning both speakers at the same store twice, I found the RS's to be very good but a bit trebly (bright?).

The 683's first time were not broken in and somewhat sybillant. Second time, they were not so sybillant but overly bassy with accentuated mids. They were also out of phase and once that was fixed they were VERY nice. More detail than the RS6's but not too much base or sybillant.

I was initially leaning towards the MA's but now am heavily leaning toward the 3's.

Also, I am going to be using them in a large (not sure if 300ft2 is large) room, for music and HT and am not initially interested in sub. I am not into bass really at all for music.

Finally, which center would you guys recommend?

Mike
post #189 of 242 Old 10-07-2007, 07:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Strasse View Post

After auditioning both speakers at the same store twice, I found the RS's to be very good but a bit trebly (bright?).

Also, I am going to be using them in a large (not sure if 300ft2 is large) room, for music and HT and am not initially interested in sub. I am not into bass really at all for music.

Finally, which center would you guys recommend?

Mike

That's good of you to be able to compare both in the same store. I've heard the Monitor Audio RS series at different stores at different times and I couldn't decide whether I like the Monitor Audios better than the B&Ws due to the different conditions and my short term sound memory.

B&W certainly recommends the 3 way HTM61 matched to the 683 as its driver configuration most closely matches the 683, and certainly the FST midrange driver is one of its most exciting features. I can't imagine any situation where you'd want the HTM62 instead because that was designed to go with the smaller 6xx speakers in output capability, power handling and frequency range.

post #190 of 242 Old 10-08-2007, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warpdrive View Post

That's good of you to be able to compare both in the same store. I've heard the Monitor Audio RS series at different stores at different times and I couldn't decide whether I like the Monitor Audios better than the B&Ws due to the different conditions and my short term sound memory.

ugh... This is my problem as well. Fortunately, although these speakers are not in the same store so A/B comparisons are simply not possible, the stores they are in are literally across the street from one another.

I have only really closely compared them, i.e. running back and forth between stores for the sole pusropose of listening to these two speakers, once and was very impressed with both though leaning towards the RS6 for what I percieved as a slightly cleaner and more focused sound with clearer bass and better cabinets. The cabinets on the MAs use real wood veneer for one as opposed to the vinyl on the B&W and seem a bit sturdier too - I feel like I am hearing the cabinet resonate with the B&W. Add to that the $500 price difference and it's really hard not to favor the MA all around.

Decisions, decisions... The problem is, the fun of shopping ends with the purchase of the speakers!
post #191 of 242 Old 10-08-2007, 11:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

ugh... This is my problem as well. Fortunately, although these speakers are not in the same store so A/B comparisons are simply not possible, the stores they are in are literally across the street from one another.

I have only really closely compared them, i.e. running back and forth between stores for the sole pusropose of listening to these two speakers, once and was very impressed with both though leaning towards the RS6 for what I percieved as a slightly cleaner and more focused sound with clearer bass and better cabinets. The cabinets on the MAs use real wood veneer for one as opposed to the vinyl on the B&W and seem a bit sturdier too - I feel like I am hearing the cabinet resonate with the B&W. Add to that the $500 price difference and it's really hard not to favor the MA all around.

Decisions, decisions... The problem is, the fun of shopping ends with the purchase of the speakers!

Don't let it stress you out.....buying hifi should be enjoyable!

Next time try the B&W's with the port plugs installed, I guarantee you'll enjoy them a lot more.

The Monitor Audios are very very good, and for the most part they give the B&W's a good run for their money if not beat them. From my brief experiences I think they are a bit less exciting and more clinical. What I've liked about B&Ws in the past is that they seem to bring more of the emotion of the music, but probably at some expense of overall accuracy (which is still true of this 600 series)

post #192 of 242 Old 10-08-2007, 11:25 AM

I will have to give the port plugs a try - thanks.

I posted this on the general B&W thread but will throw it up here too since we are talking about the 600 series. Has anyone seen them in Wenge or know if finish is available yet?
post #193 of 242 Old 10-08-2007, 03:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Has anyone seen them in Wenge or know if finish is available yet?

Shipping this month.

Seeking a speaker recomendation? Compare for yourself or be swayed by others who hear differantly, or by marketing, or just save time and get the cheapest , nicest looking, or smallest.
post #194 of 242 Old 10-08-2007, 06:53 PM
Advanced Member

Agree concerning the cabinets; the MA's are very nice. I feel that the B&W's were acceptable and am interested in seeing the Wenge in person.

Thanks for the rec on the center.

More lively, engaging? Hmmm...maybe that was it. Still figuring this whole nice audio thing out. Probably couldn't go wrong either, just don't want to feel that I made a "bad" choice (if that is possible with these options).
post #195 of 242 Old 10-10-2007, 08:24 AM

goe2112, The best thing I can say for the HTM61 is that does exactly what it's supposed to do, perfectly timber and volume matches the 683s creating a seamless transition of sound across the front soundstage. I had to wait for a while for my HTM61 to be shipped, so I ran the 683s in phantom. This sounded pretty good, but when I got the HTM61 and set it up, HT sounded sooo much better! The HTM61 is BIG, being the same depth and width (vertical) as the 683, and half the height. I ended up using a TV wall mount to position it above my TV and angled it down. I would not use the HTM62 with the 683s, and vice would not use the HTM61 with 684,5,or 6.
post #196 of 242 Old 10-11-2007, 04:19 PM

My dealer has only Light Cherry and Black in stock as of last week. I posed the question here about the availability of the Wenge finish. Now I see on the B&W site the finishes shown as Black Ash, Light Oak (which I understand will not be offered in the U.S) Red Cherry, and Wenge.

So has the light cherry already been discontinued and replaced with the Red Cherry? Does anyone know when this finish will start showing up in dealers?
post #197 of 242 Old 10-11-2007, 05:22 PM

picked up the 685's and HTM61's about 1.5 months ago

and using Pioneer Elite 84xtsi receiver, my old Paradigm Titans for the rears, and a Paradigm PDR sub.
just moved into my condo a couple months ago and still working, thus looking a bit empty :P had to prioritize my entertainment first
will post review later.
post #198 of 242 Old 10-11-2007, 05:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giant Robot View Post

and using Pioneer Elite 84xtsi receiver, my old Paradigm Titans for the rears, and a Paradigm PDR sub.
just moved into my condo a couple months ago and still working, thus looking a bit empty :P had to prioritize my entertainment first
will post review later.

wow, your setup looks sharp, nice and clean. I like!
post #199 of 242 Old 10-11-2007, 07:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

will post review later.

Awesome! I am now very seriously considering the 685s for my small room. Just wondering though, why did you end up going with the HTM61 instead of the HTM62 (which is supposed to match with the 685). Are you planning on getting the 683s down the road and putting the 685s in back?
post #200 of 242 Old 10-11-2007, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pibbo View Post

Awesome! I am now very seriously considering the 685s for my small room. Just wondering though, why did you end up going with the HTM61 instead of the HTM62 (which is supposed to match with the 685). Are you planning on getting the 683s down the road and putting the 685s in back?

that was my initial plan, but after spending some time with them i really dont feel the need for the 683's up front....at least for now :P The HTM61's sounded a lot more well rounded than the HTM62's and feel they dont empower/mismatch the L/R channels, and they shouldn't.

For the price, i believe these are well worth it. Very awesome performance. Detail isn't too bright nor too harsh, i feel its just right. You'd expect weak bass performance being a standmount, but i actually had to turn down my sub. Bass feels great and slightly warm.

I do a lot of music listening, video gaming, and dvd/blu ray movies, split pretty evenly. There were just a lot of detail im picking up that i previously didn't hear with the Paradigm Titans and have absolutely no regret with the purchase at all.
post #201 of 242 Old 10-12-2007, 12:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

The HTM61's sounded a lot more well rounded than the HTM62's and feel they dont empower/mismatch the L/R channels, and they shouldn't.

There were just a lot of detail im picking up that i previously didn't hear with the Paradigm Titans and have absolutely no regret with the purchase at all.

Good to know. They sound great. I demoed the 684's against the Paradigm Monitor 9s for a little bit. The B&Ws were CLEARLY the superior speaker. No contest. Made the Paradigms feel quite bright, harsh and unrefined in comparison. The 684s imaged much better too. I thought it was a tougher call with the old 600 series.

I think I'm going to go demo the 685s specifically tomorrow. I'm feelin' good about this...
post #202 of 242 Old 10-12-2007, 08:09 AM
Advanced Member

I demo'd the Paradigm Monitor 9's (maybe 7's) and felt the exact same way. They were bright and harsh and thin sounding.

That said, the Paradigm Reference Studio 100 was VERY nice but outside my price range.

Mike

Also, thanks for the recs above.
post #203 of 242 Old 10-12-2007, 06:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Giant Robot, how 'bout two more 61's as l/r vertical on the stands?

I think it would be generally more useful if everyone new to these forums is reminded that they are constantly being marketed to and pitched by people who post their affiliations and many others who do not. This is all part of marketing and advertising and you, the consumer, are the targets.
Noth...
post #204 of 242 Old 10-13-2007, 07:09 PM
Advanced Member

Well, I spent some quality time with the 685s the other day. I really like them. Can't seem to find fault with them except maybe the soundstage isn't as huge as larger speakers I've heard, but still quite good for bookshelves. They imaged very well, more precise and pin-point than my C-9s. They've got that "band in the same room with you" realism at times, which was great. The highs were vibrant, but not harsh in the least. Made my Energy's seem bright and strident, which they kinda are. I noticed it was much easier to "see" the drummer riding the hats and cymbals, where as with my speakers, those sounds can very easily get mashed together into a kind of sibilant stew of metallic sound. The 685s were very clear and articulate in the highs.

Only one thing upset their fantastic transparency and that was what I perceived to be a slight boxy resonance in the lower mids or upper bass. The ones I heard were not broken in at all, so I'm not sure if this would go away with time or what. It didn't ruin my listening experience, just kinda made me go "Aww, these aren't perfect. Darn."

I think perhaps it wouldn't be a problem if they were high-passed over to sub. Anyone else notice this at all?

They were being run from an entry level Yamaha CD changer and Denon receiver. I think my nicer electronics could get more out of them.
post #205 of 242 Old 10-13-2007, 07:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pibbo View Post

Well, I spent some quality time with the 685s the other day. I really like them. Can't seem to find fault with them except maybe the soundstage isn't as huge as larger speakers I've heard, but still quite good for bookshelves. They imaged very well, more precise and pin-point than my C-9s. They've got that "band in the same room with you" realism at times, which was great. The highs were vibrant, but not harsh in the least. Made my Energy's seem bright and strident, which they kinda are. I noticed it was much easier to "see" the drummer riding the hats and cymbals, where as with my speakers, those sounds can very easily get mashed together into a kind of sibilant stew of metallic sound. The 685s were very clear and articulate in the highs.

Only one thing upset their fantastic transparency and that was what I perceived to be a slight boxy resonance in the lower mids or upper bass. The ones I heard were not broken in at all, so I'm not sure if this would go away with time or what. It didn't ruin my listening experience, just kinda made me go "Aww, these aren't perfect. Darn."

I think perhaps it wouldn't be a problem if they were high-passed over to sub. Anyone else notice this at all?

They were being run from an entry level Yamaha CD changer and Denon receiver. I think my nicer electronics could get more out of them.

i experienced that with the older 600 series equivalent, the 602s3. The resonance was ignorable for rock, but kinda was too "fat" sounding for everything else. The speakers come with a port plug, so you can try to ask the dealer to push them in so that it will cause the mid-bass driver to roll of sooner but more gradually. You could also try getting a hi-pass filter in there from a processor if you intend to use bass management into a subwoofer. In my experience, the port plug was able to fix the problem that you noticed, at least with other bookshelf speakers.
post #206 of 242 Old 10-25-2007, 06:52 AM

I need a little help from the B&W family. I would like to buy either the 684 or 683. I have a small room that the will go in.

Equip
Adcom 5802 300 WPC Amp
Adcom 750 Pre-Amp
Denon DCM 390 Cd Player

Strictly used for music and I listen to everything from jazz, r&b, hip-hop, reggae, gospel and the blues. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
post #207 of 242 Old 10-25-2007, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio1 View Post

I need a little help from the B&W family. I would like to buy either the 684 or 683. I have a small room that the will go in.

Equip
Adcom 5802 300 WPC Amp
Adcom 750 Pre-Amp
Denon DCM 390 Cd Player

Strictly used for music and I listen to everything from jazz, r&b, hip-hop, reggae, gospel and the blues. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

If you're not going to get a sub, I'd grab the 683. Simply a better design for handling the low stuff, especially at moderate volume.
post #208 of 242 Old 10-25-2007, 12:39 PM

After talking to dealer they suggested maybe stepping up to CM7 or 705's. Now I'm talking a few hundred dollar difference. Don't know if they are worth that.
post #209 of 242 Old 10-25-2007, 03:22 PM

You have to listen to them. I actually preferred the 685 bookshelf over the CM1 bookshelf. I agree if you're not going to get a sub to go the 683 route. Your amp will drive them well.
post #210 of 242 Old 10-25-2007, 05:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by warpdrive View Post

Please tell. Since you are in a position to wring them out for an extended period of time. Just knowing how they compare (relative differences) would be helpful.

It does sound to me that the 600 series *is* more different than looking at the drivers and specs would lead us to believe.

There is a world of difference to say the least. Essentially, the cabinet is far more prominent in terms of coloration on the non-CM product. Any hopes of these becoming a "poor-man's CM1" are dashed immediately upon first listen. However, the 685 is a "fun", dynamic bookshelf in its own right. The enclosure really (other than the minimalism applied to the CM's xovers) is the deciding factor here IMO.

The CM1 is a vastly more solid (sounding), defined, and accurate bookshelf.

The First Clarke Law states, 'If an elderly but distinguished scientist says that something is possible he is almost certainly right, but if he says that it is impossible he is very probably wrong.'
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page