Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #361 of 1378 Old 08-16-2010, 01:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 36
The reason the thread is slow is because we're to busy listening to our systems.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 1378 Old 08-16-2010, 02:50 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublewing11 View Post

Where did you find the Ariel combo in Oregon? I'd like to audition the CC-5 combo with the either the Model 9/5's.......

Fred's Sound of Music in Portland (Near 39th on Hawthorne) sells Ariel. I bought my LR3s there in June.

post #363 of 1378 Old 08-16-2010, 05:27 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taxi View Post

Fred's Sound of Music in Portland (Near 39th on Hawthorne) sells Ariel. I bought my LR3s there in June.

How do you like those LR3's? I am looking for a great in-wll or in cabinet set of speakers for my living room/home theater. I just need to have the speakers hidden. The 12" depth of the LR3 will definitely work if it can go in a cabinet
post #364 of 1378 Old 08-17-2010, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrunr View Post

How do you like those LR3's? I am looking for a great in-wll or in cabinet set of speakers for my living room/home theater. I just need to have the speakers hidden. The 12" depth of the LR3 will definitely work if it can go in a cabinet

Sadly, I don't have them hooked up yet. I have a lot of work to do in my HT room before I can start hooking up speakers.

They sounded fantastic at Fred's, and I don't expect them to sound any less at home. I'm using them as my L/C/R speakers.

post #365 of 1378 Old 08-17-2010, 09:33 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
Quote:

If they fit into your budget and your existing cabinet, you might want to look into Aerials System 1.

The L & R speakers are about 8.5" wide, just under 12" deep and designed to work well built into a cabinet.

From what I understand, they resemble the sound of the Mdl. 9's but are somewhat less expensive since the cabinets are not as highly finished, due to their in-cabinet nature.

With speakers such as these, it may be possible for you to get more speaker, since you require less from the cabinet.

TURN IT UP!
post #366 of 1378 Old 08-17-2010, 11:19 PM
Advanced Member

Where could I even find those?
post #367 of 1378 Old 08-18-2010, 01:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Well, I, bought 2pr. of Mdl.9's and another fellow a few posts back who just got a pair of Mdl.9's or maybe he bought a CC-5, anyway, we called Craig at Theatermax.
He can probably do it for you better then anyone else for that matter, at least that is my very high opinion of Theatermax.

TURN IT UP!
post #368 of 1378 Old 08-18-2010, 01:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Did you look at System 1?
What do you thnk?

TURN IT UP!
post #369 of 1378 Old 08-18-2010, 01:42 AM
Advanced Member

I think they look awesome! i would really like to find out how much they would cost!
post #370 of 1378 Old 08-18-2010, 04:23 AM
AVS Special Member

The cost of the system 1 runs anywhere around $30-$35,000 depending on screen size and a 5.2 or 7.2 configuration. It's supposed to be very easy to set up and a trained installer should take less than a day to set up. If you want to use it for music it's not quite up to par with a traditional setup.
post #371 of 1378 Old 08-18-2010, 10:14 AM
Advanced Member

I dont want the entire system one. I just want the r and L speakers
post #372 of 1378 Old 08-18-2010, 10:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taxi View Post

Thanks,

Yesterday I was able to listen to the Model 9 and CC-5 combo...........very smooth mids not to mention a HUGH sound stage. I'm going for another listen with my own stuff........

Still like the Triad Gold Monitor tweets, but the mids on the Triads are not up to par with the Aeriels. Tough decision...............I'll say this, the Aerials IMHO were slightly better to my ears than than both the B&W 802/3Ds and Sig8....................we'll see how the second demo goes.

For my set up, ideally the L/R-5 and CC-5 are the best combo but wasn't able to audition that set up.......

Have to take everone's word on the L/R-5 and CC-5 combo...............
post #373 of 1378 Old 08-18-2010, 04:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I think they look awesome! i would really like to find out how much they would cost!

They retailed at 5g's apiece the last time I got to see a price sheet.
It's very possible that the retail price has been increased by 10% or so since then.
Give Craig a call to find out for certain what your price would be.

TURN IT UP!
post #374 of 1378 Old 08-20-2010, 01:40 PM

Liked: 13
Hi Guys,

Like to know if it is worth my investment to upgrade from my Aerial 7B speakers to the Aerial 9 speakers. I currently have the CC3B center channel and the SW12 sub. I am powering the 7Bs with a B&K Reference 3220 amp (220 watts) tied to an Anthem D2V. I can upgrade the amp down the road to help power the 9's if needed.

Another words, if I close my eyes will I hear a big enough difference in the quality of sound between the two to warrant the difference in price. I might look at a preowned set of 9's. I watch a lot of movies, and concerts, especially in Blu-ray. And of course I love listening to two channel music.

If I got the 9's I would probably upgrade the center channel to the CC5, and sell my 7Bs and CC3. My listening room is a 23' x 18' in a dedicated home theater with a 9' ceiling and a 1' popup tray.

One last question. I am also considering two SW12 instead of just one. Anyone have experience with using more then one sub. I would like your opinions on this also.

Thanks for your advice,
Jim

P.S. The room is not done but a work in progress. Looking to do acoustic treatments to the walls, add some stain wood work, and maybe a star ceiling down the road.
LL
post #375 of 1378 Old 08-20-2010, 02:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
I can't give you an affirmative answer one way or the other, so I'll just share some experiences.

I auditioned the 7B and the 9, and the CC3B and the CC5.

I honestly prefer the midrange of the 7B -- the 9's midrange is a bit more "forward", which I know some people prefer, but I tend a bit more towards the mellow.

As for the centers, the CC3B was the best-sounding center I'd ever heard, right up until I tried the CC5. The CC5 is a monster. Its ability to reproduce deep male voices (think: Morgan Freeman's narration at the beginning of "War of the Worlds") is spectacular.

I'm also a bass player, so I appreciated the Model 9's ability to to play low bass notes with authority in the absence of a subwoofer, and I do tend to prefer to listen to 2-channel without a sub.

Since you have the SW12, I'm not sure whether the benefits you'd gain from switching to the Model 9 would make it worthwhile. I ended up selecting the 9s because they matched the CC5, and I couldn't pass up the performance of that center.

Be warned, though, the CC5 is a beast in terms of sheer physical size. I may actually switch to a System 1 Center in my new theater room, just for depth considerations. I'd sure like to audition one first, though.

Mike Kobb
(Formerly "ReplayMike". These opinions are mine alone, and in no way reflect the opinions of employers past or present!)
"Mike's Money Pit" Build Thread
post #376 of 1378 Old 08-20-2010, 02:09 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Jim,
I know the room is not done yet, but I have to say it's looking real good to me know.

Nothing's Perfect So Stop Expecting It ! Glenee

post #377 of 1378 Old 08-20-2010, 02:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Nine's w/a CC-5 will dwarf your model 7 setup. It looks like your setting your room up to get the right accoustics so that should be no problem. However I also agree that two Aerial Subs may a bit much. With the front three and the one Aerial sub there should be plenty of low end sound. And for music once you hear the Model 9's you'll see you won't need the sub. My only concern is the amp I would take the money from the sub and maybe invest in a McIntosh 303. A three channel 300 watt amp. That should give you plenty of horse power to run the front 3. If you can bridge the B&K use it for the rears. Good luck sounds like your moving to a great setup. Post pictures when this is done.
post #378 of 1378 Old 08-20-2010, 02:31 PM

Hey Mike,

I was going through audiogon looking for another SW12. I had just finished reading the article in Sept. Sound + Vision magazine about room acoustics on page 36. Dr. Floyd Toole author of the book Sound Reproduction, "strongly recommends using at least two, and preferably four subwoofers in order to deliver more consistent bass..." I had heard that before and when I spoke with Andrew at Aerial he also thought more then one sub delivers better performance.

When I saw a pair of preowned 9's for sell it got me to think that with my fairly large size room that the 9's might be a better match. My 7's do a great job but, like most I guess, I am always looking on upgrading my system to get a even better listening experience.

Any opinion on the multiple subs?

Thanks again,
Jim

P.S.
Thanks Glenee for the nice words
post #379 of 1378 Old 08-20-2010, 06:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by trek737 View Post

Any opinion on the multiple subs?

Not Mike, but an owner of Aerial 7Bs, CC3B, and multiple subs, in a smallish theater with definite modal cancellation problems. At least those were problems until I went with multiple subs. Harman (Welti, et al) is right!

And by multiple subs, I mean reproducing the bass <80 Hz as mono from multiple LF drivers. To test the theory, I first used my mains as virtual mid-bass subs (30-80 Hz) and filled in 15-30 Hz with my SW-12. The 4 virtual subs were tuned with a BassQ processor, which effectively cancelled the modal nulls. Final tuning was done to taste with the PEQ in the SSP-800. But in the end, pushing the mains and surrounds with movie soundtracks was stressfull on the woofers, so I just recently changed to using 4 real subwoofers (Hsu ULS-15), which improved the headroom some 10 dB. Detals of the BassQ exploits posted here and the current system update in post 140 of the same thread.

Thus, you may have seen my beloved SW12 offered at Audiogon--the one in black ash. I was faced with trying to find 3 more, or selling it and buying 4 new ones. Even though there's a bevy of SW12s at Audiogon, they are not nearby, and not in the same finish. Painting the rosewood black would be a sin!

Quote:

When I saw a pair of preowned 9's for sell it got me to think that with my fairly large size room that the 9's might be a better match. My 7's do a great job but, like most I guess, I am always looking on upgrading my system to get a even better listening experience.

Not sure how the 9's would make any difference in a multiple sub system, unless it was your thought that the 9's could act like two subs by covering the bass spectrum. They could if you did the same bass processing trick I did--to distribute mono bass to both of them. But if you run them in stereo, or as part of a 5.1 system, then the bass will not always be coherent, and that diminishes the effectiveness of the Harman multi-sub concept.
post #380 of 1378 Old 08-20-2010, 08:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 178
Please chime in on the following thoughts:

Instead of using 2 LR-5's and a CC-5 behind a 130 in perf screen, why not use 3 LR-5's lined up vertically thus creating a consistent front sound stage?

Well, I'm contemplating a 3 LR-5 set up as I was extremely impressed with the CC-5 and thought there might be tonal benefits with the center speaker oriented vertically. Low end dialogue was really exemplary with the CC-5...............
post #381 of 1378 Old 08-20-2010, 09:45 PM
AVS Special Member

I think the CC-5 is horizontally oriented because many people need to put it under or over their screens. I would imagine that having all three behind the screen would yield the most consistent performance as sound pans across the screen.

Mike Kobb
(Formerly "ReplayMike". These opinions are mine alone, and in no way reflect the opinions of employers past or present!)
post #382 of 1378 Old 08-20-2010, 11:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublewing11 View Post

Instead of using 2 LR-5's and a CC-5 behind a 130 in perf screen, why not use 3 LR-5's lined up vertically thus creating a consistent front sound stage?

There would be no real good reason not to use 3 LR5's if you can.

As good the CC5 is, being horizontal and not exactly in the same plane as the L & R speakers, it is still a bit of a comprimise to use one.
Having the choice between a horizontal center such as the CC5 with a pair of LR5's or 3 identical vertical LR5 speakers, 3 identical LR5's would always be the better choice.

I cannot understand how the LR5 in the center could not possibly sound somewhat better anyway. It is afterall practically the same exact speaker, only oriented in a less compromising fashion.

A 3 LR5 front soundstage should sound awesome.
Of course, if you forced me to use 3 of the 20T v2's instead, I may never get over that hardship

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMike View Post

I think the CC-5 is horizontally oriented because many people need to put it under or over their screens.

One would assume that this is exactly why they made this center channel speaker.

TURN IT UP!
post #383 of 1378 Old 08-21-2010, 12:27 AM
Advanced Member

I'm sure you havn't but don't forget that you will also need to aquire at last 2-4 good subs for use with these speakers and 3 amps with up to 700w each per channej,

This should all set you back at least the same amount of coin that the speakers will, if not more.

What starts out as small changes,often turn into a very large overhaul of your system in the end, such is the sick hobby we so injoy.

TURN IT UP!
post #384 of 1378 Old 08-21-2010, 08:50 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbrother52 View Post

I'm sure you havn't but don't forget that you will also need to aquire at last 2-4 good subs for use with these speakers and 3 amps with up to 700w each per channej,

This should all set you back at least the same amount of coin that the speakers will, if not more.

What starts out as small changes,often turn into a very large overhaul of your system in the end, such is the sick hobby we so injoy.

As a past owner of LR-5 and CC5 combo I have to agree with bigbrother 100%. These are great speakers, but require a substantial power amp to really shine. I bi-amp my CC5 with two of the channels from a mutli-channel digital amp now just so it would keep up with the mains (Aerial 20T v2 powered by a BAT VK-600SE).
post #385 of 1378 Old 08-21-2010, 09:17 AM
Advanced Member

^^^ That is VERY interesting. How do you like the Aerials powered by digital amps? (ICE amps I assume)

I have PSB Synchrony speakers and i did NOT like the ICE amps on them at all. Just curious as to how you feel about it. If you have not yet compared the sound with them on the digital ams as opposed the amp you have running the 20T's, that could be a gret test for you and I would love to hear the results!
post #386 of 1378 Old 08-21-2010, 04:17 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

^^^ That is VERY interesting. How do you like the Aerials powered by digital amps? (ICE amps I assume)

I have PSB Synchrony speakers and i did NOT like the ICE amps on them at all. Just curious as to how you feel about it. If you have not yet compared the sound with them on the digital ams as opposed the amp you have running the 20T's, that could be a gret test for you and I would love to hear the results!

Yes it was a ICE amp (D-Sonic) that I had on the CC5 and the Paradigm inwalls for surrounds. I had the D-sonic built as a six channel version with two high power "500 watt" modules and four lower power "250 watt" modules. I used the two higher power modules to run the CC5.

Before the D-Sonic I used a Proceed Amp 5 and a Theta Dreadnaught II. I also used two of the channels from each of these amplifiers to run the CC5 as well, but this left me one channel short for the four surrounds. As for comparing the three amps I think they all did a good job, and I really did not prefer one over the other SQ wise. I don't listen to music in multichannel only in two channel so I really never got down to any critical listening, just watching and enjoying movies. Where I really like the D-Sonic over the other two is weight and HEAT. The Dreadnaught will heat the room up by 5-10 degrees after a two hour movie. The proceed was not to bad for heat, but the D-Sonic runs cool to the touch and can be put into a tighter space.

I never did run the Aerial 20T v2's on anything but the big BAT, so I can't really comment on how the ICE amp would do with those speakers.

Right now I'm without a system. I had to help a family member out back at the beginning of the year financially so I have sold off most of my system. I have kept the Aerial speakers though and have no plans to sell them. I hope to be back up and running by spring or early next summer (finances permitting), but we shall see. Since my setup is down I've decided that I'm going to go ahead and completely gut the room and start over from scratch.

I have to say it is very hard to walk into the room right now and see the 20T's sitting there inactive. In the last seven months I think I've walked into my dedicated room 3 maybe 4 times. I get to depressed and want to pick up the phone and order me a new pre/pro and a pair of mono amplifiers. I promised myself I wouldn't and up to this point have kept my promise, but I gotta tell you it's tuff. Reeeaaaaaalllllly tuff.
post #387 of 1378 Old 08-21-2010, 08:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KX250F View Post

I have to say it is very hard to walk into the room right now and see the 20T's sitting there inactive. In the last seven months I think I've walked into my dedicated room 3 maybe 4 times. I get to depressed and want to pick up the phone and order me a new pre/pro and a pair of mono amplifiers. I promised myself I wouldn't and up to this point have kept my promise, but I gotta tell you it's tuff. Reeeaaaaaalllllly tuff.

Boy, do I ever feel for you. I had the same thing for several months with my Model 9s before I put them into storage and gutted the room. That was nearly a year ago, as my little theater project metastasized into a whole-house remodel. Hopefully not too much longer....

By the way, lack of heat is one reason I love my Sunfire amp. Mine is 200wpc, and I may step up to the 400wpc model as I rebuild the equipment racks.

Mike Kobb
post #388 of 1378 Old 08-21-2010, 08:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Since we've been talking about the CC5 a bit lately, I wanted to pose a question: has anybody here had an opportunity to compare the CC5 with a System 1 Center?

The only drawback to the CC5 is its great depth. I'm doing an acoustically transparent screen, and if I put the CC5 behind it, I lose basically an extra foot in depth on the room, which might make the difference between having extra bar seating behind the second row, or not.

I can gain that foot back if I use a System 1 Center instead. I've spoken with Aerial and they say that the speakers compare quite favorably, with the System 1 Center losing a bit of bass response compared to the CC5, but otherwise it's supposed to be a good mesh with my Model 9s, since they share many components.

The room will have very, very carefully designed and tweaked bass management with signal processing, so I'm less concerned about the center being able to reproduce low bass as I might be otherwise.

So, I guess I'm interested in whether anybody has made the comparison. I must also figure out if there's a dealer in the San Francisco/San Jose CA area that has a System 1 Center that I could listen to. Should have asked Aerial that when I was on the phone...

Mike Kobb
post #389 of 1378 Old 08-23-2010, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Dressler View Post

Not Mike, but an owner of Aerial 7Bs, CC3B, and multiple subs, in a smallish theater with definite modal cancellation problems. At least those were problems until I went with multiple subs. Harman (Welti, et al) is right!

And by multiple subs, I mean reproducing the bass <80 Hz as mono from multiple LF drivers. To test the theory, I first used my mains as virtual mid-bass subs (30-80 Hz) and filled in 15-30 Hz with my SW-12. The 4 virtual subs were tuned with a BassQ processor, which effectively cancelled the modal nulls. Final tuning was done to taste with the PEQ in the SSP-800. But in the end, pushing the mains and surrounds with movie soundtracks was stressfull on the woofers, so I just recently changed to using 4 real subwoofers (Hsu ULS-15), which improved the headroom some 10 dB. Detals of the BassQ exploits posted here and the current system update in post 140 of the same thread.

Thus, you may have seen my beloved SW12 offered at Audiogon--the one in black ash. I was faced with trying to find 3 more, or selling it and buying 4 new ones. Even though there's a bevy of SW12s at Audiogon, they are not nearby, and not in the same finish. Painting the rosewood black would be a sin!

Not sure how the 9's would make any difference in a multiple sub system, unless it was your thought that the 9's could act like two subs by covering the bass spectrum. They could if you did the same bass processing trick I did--to distribute mono bass to both of them. But if you run them in stereo, or as part of a 5.1 system, then the bass will not always be coherent, and that diminishes the effectiveness of the Harman multi-sub concept.

Hey Roger,

Nice job with your home theater. You are a few steps ahead of me. Room acoustics is next on my list, and I have a lot to learn. To bad for me you do not live in Houston. You would be a great asset since you have already accomplished so much with your space.

Thanks for your advice with the Aerial 9 vs 7b.
Jim
post #390 of 1378 Old 08-25-2010, 09:15 PM

Liked: 11
Jim,
I no longer have my Aerials, but I will give you my thoughts on them. I love them! I think the 7B's are the sweet spot in the line-up. For music they are just amazing. I would suggest keeping your 7B's and adding a CC5 and see how you like it. The CC5 trumps the CC3B, no contest! I would then add another subwoofer. If it is still not dynamic for your, then move up to the 9's.

As far as the 7B's vs the 9's go, I agree with JustMike about the midrange of the 7B's. I preferred them over the 9's. The 9's are a little more forward than the 7B's, especially the tweeter. I also liked the 7B's highs over than the 9's. Lastly is the bass, which the 9's dominate the 7B's. I thought my walls were going to come down. I don't know how big your room is but if it is very large, the 9's are a more dynamic speaker and will fill it with no problem.

I had the 7B's and 9's at the same time so I was able to hear both of them in my room. Once I moved I sold everything and can honestly tell you that I miss the 7B's more than the 9's.

I also had (2) SW12's. As nice as they are there are much better options out there. The Mark Seaton Submersive is a much better sub IMHO. I just ordered (2) new ones with the 2400W amp for $4,100 shipped, which is cheaper than (1) SW12. Since you already have one Aerial, why don't you order one Submersive and do a shoot out against the Aerial. I think you will be suprised at what you find. (1) of the new Submersives will be more powerful than at least (2) of the SW12's.

Either way you go, you will not be let down. I just tried giving you the rout that I would go. Fot the money, the 9's cost, you can get another pair of 7B's and run them as surrounds. To this day, it was the best pair of surrounds I have ever heard! Take care,

Jason
Reply Speakers

Tags
Energy Cc 5 Center Channel Speaker Black

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page