post #631 of 1525 Old 07-23-2011, 03:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerialsound View Post

One last thing...would you be using the bel canto 1000 in you review of the aerial 7t. If you do have the black finish version, could express your opinion on the finish itself in your review.

Thanks... Can hardly wait for your review.

I suggest you take a Valium because it will not be forthcoming tomorrow. This month, I finish an amp review and the Aerial follows. So, given the usual latencies, it cannot appear before the December issue.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 1525 Old 07-25-2011, 08:07 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post

I suggest you take a Valium because it will not be forthcoming tomorrow. This month, I finish an amp review and the Aerial follows. So, given the usual latencies, it cannot appear before the December issue.

Valium puts me to sleep...I prefer a martini straight up... Plus it makes the time pass faster.
post #633 of 1525 Old 07-26-2011, 12:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post

Information at the speed of light! By that time, the 7U's will be out.
post #634 of 1525 Old 07-29-2011, 09:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I have a 6 month old definitive setup, bp 7002's, 7006's and a clr 2500, I have both black or cherry caps for the 7002's.I am the original owner and they are in as new condition, I would trade them for a pair of aerial 8b's, I am going back to a 2 channel setup, I know that this post is a shot in the dark, but it can't hurt, thanks Rick (maryland 21220), cell 443 831 1025
post #635 of 1525 Old 07-31-2011, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by panzer
I have a 6 month old definitive setup, bp 7002's, 7006's and a clr 2500, I have both black or cherry caps for the 7002's.I am the original owner and they are in as new condition, I would trade them for a pair of aerial 8b's, I am going back to a 2 channel setup, I know that this post is a shot in the dark, but it can't hurt, thanks Rick (maryland 21220), cell 443 831 1025
Just sold my aerial 7bs a couple of weeks ago. But there are always sellers looking around. Try the gon.
post #636 of 1525 Old 08-05-2011, 02:49 PM

Heard some Revel Salon 2 the other day. Wow... Sounded pretty amazing. More open than the Aerial. Will I have to change my user name? Although the CC5 sounded so much better.
post #637 of 1525 Old 08-05-2011, 05:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 166
Quote:

Heard some Revel Salon 2 the other day. Wow... Sounded pretty amazing. More open than the Aerial. Will I have to change my user name? Although the CC5 sounded so much better.

Lol, Revelsound has a good sound to it, something to consider

DJoel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #638 of 1525 Old 08-12-2011, 07:06 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

I'm totally confused. You said you had to get rid of the 7b because your wife was tired of seeing them, but she'd be OK with Salon 2? Those things are hideous!

I just received my 7t 2 days ago and I'm loving them. Personally I think it's a good looking speaker, but the sound is what is incredible. They are replacing my 8's; which I loved for many years.

I sat down last night and wrote my impressions of the 7t, but hit submit without realizing I was not logged in. The forum somehow ate my post after walking me through the login screen. Bummer. I'll get around to rewriting it soon.

Anyone else have the 7t?
post #639 of 1525 Old 08-17-2011, 04:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Amplifier question:

I am upgrading my Parasound HCA-1206 currently being used to power (3) Aerial LR5's for LCR in my home theater. I am looking for options in the used market. The proceed HPA-3 appears to be a great buy used. Another amp comparable in wattage is the Bryston 4BST. I could purchase two of the Brystons and just use three of the four channels.

I do not want to pay the price of admission for the 6Bsst or (3) 7Bst's as they are a bit out of my price range at the time.

I am also considering one of the Theta Dreadnaught amps (200-225 watts/channel into 8 ohms), but, they are not as powerful as the HPA-3 or the 4BST (250 watts/channel into 8 ohms).

Any opinions on either of the above amps and which would provide the best synergy with the Aerials? Any other options,comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

David Lynch Current Equipment: Marantz AV8801, Proceed HPA3, Parasound HCA-1206, Aerial Acoustics LR5's (LCR), Aerial Acoustics LR3's (sides), RBH in-walls (rears), Seaton Submersive, Marantz VP15s1, 106" Carada BW screen, Oppo BDP-103.
post #640 of 1525 Old 08-17-2011, 06:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Wyred4sound amp

Mankite
post #641 of 1525 Old 08-18-2011, 08:41 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdlynch View Post

Amplifier question:

I am upgrading my Parasound HCA-1206 currently being used to power (3) Aerial LR5's for LCR in my home theater. I am looking for options in the used market. The proceed HPA-3 appears to be a great buy used. Another amp comparable in wattage is the Bryston 4BST. I could purchase two of the Brystons and just use three of the four channels.

I do not want to pay the price of admission for the 6Bsst or (3) 7Bst's as they are a bit out of my price range at the time.

I am also considering one of the Theta Dreadnaught amps (200-225 watts/channel into 8 ohms), but, they are not as powerful as the HPA-3 or the 4BST (250 watts/channel into 8 ohms).

Any opinions on either of the above amps and which would provide the best synergy with the Aerials? Any other options,comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

jd I was running a pair of LR5's along with a CC5 back about two years ago. I had a pair of Theta Citadel 1.5's on the LR5's and a Dreadnaught II with 5 x 225 for center and surrounds. In my opinion the Dreadnaught on the CC5 could not keep up with the LR5's on the Citadels. I had to use two channels from the Dreadnaught II to keep up (esentially bi-amping). When Theta got sold to ATI I decided to sell all the Theta amps and get something else just incase they weren't going to be around long (Looks like I was wrong). Anyway I got a BAT VK600SE for the mains and a Proceed Amp 5 for the center and surrounds. I ran into the same problem with this combo as well. For me the CC5 need to have more power to keep up so I ended up Bi-amping again, effectively cutting me down to a 5.2 system instead of a 7.2 system.

After switching over from LR5's to the 20T v2's I decided I started looking into the Class D amps from Wyred and D-Sonic. I ended up going with a Multi Channel 2000-6 from D-Sonic. I had 2 channels with the 500/8 ohm modules and 4 channels with the 250/8 ohm modules. I took the two high power channels and bi-amped the CC5 to go along with the 20T's running on the BAT amp. Worked out well and didn't cost nearly as much either.

I really think that the LR5's and the CC5's is a great combo, but they seem to be fairly in-efficent and need to have a fair amount of power (watts) put to them to get them to go. In my case I think it was more the fact that I have the left and right speakers running on much bigger amps, and the center needed some help to keep up.

Hope this helps.
post #642 of 1525 Old 08-18-2011, 10:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KX250F View Post

jd I was running a pair of LR5's along with a CC5 back about two years ago. I had a pair of Theta Citadel 1.5's on the LR5's and a Dreadnaught II with 5 x 225 for center and surrounds. In my opinion the Dreadnaught on the CC5 could not keep up with the LR5's on the Citadels. I had to use two channels from the Dreadnaught II to keep up (esentially bi-amping). When Theta got sold to ATI I decided to sell all the Theta amps and get something else just incase they weren't going to be around long (Looks like I was wrong). Anyway I got a BAT VK600SE for the mains and a Proceed Amp 5 for the center and surrounds. I ran into the same problem with this combo as well. For me the CC5 need to have more power to keep up so I ended up Bi-amping again, effectively cutting me down to a 5.2 system instead of a 7.2 system.

After switching over from LR5's to the 20T v2's I decided I started looking into the Class D amps from Wyred and D-Sonic. I ended up going with a Multi Channel 2000-6 from D-Sonic. I had 2 channels with the 500/8 ohm modules and 4 channels with the 250/8 ohm modules. I took the two high power channels and bi-amped the CC5 to go along with the 20T's running on the BAT amp. Worked out well and didn't cost nearly as much either.

I really think that the LR5's and the CC5's is a great combo, but they seem to be fairly in-efficent and need to have a fair amount of power (watts) put to them to get them to go. In my case I think it was more the fact that I have the left and right speakers running on much bigger amps, and the center needed some help to keep up.

Hope this helps.

KX250F,

Thanks for taking the time for just the advice I was looking for. I was starting to fear that I would need to buy new speakers to avoid a necessary purchase of expensive amplification. I will look into wyred or comparable product.

By the way, now that you have replaced your LR5'a with the 20T's; how is the coherence across the front three speakers compared to the LR5/CC5 combo?

David Lynch Current Equipment: Marantz AV8801, Proceed HPA3, Parasound HCA-1206, Aerial Acoustics LR5's (LCR), Aerial Acoustics LR3's (sides), RBH in-walls (rears), Seaton Submersive, Marantz VP15s1, 106" Carada BW screen, Oppo BDP-103.
post #643 of 1525 Old 08-18-2011, 01:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked: 269
Quote:

jd I was running a pair of LR5's along with a CC5 back about two years ago. I had a pair of Theta Citadel 1.5's on the LR5's and a Dreadnaught II with 5 x 225 for center and surrounds. In my opinion the Dreadnaught on the CC5 could not keep up with the LR5's on the Citadels. I had to use two channels from the Dreadnaught II to keep up (esentially bi-amping).

I got a BAT VK600SE for the mains and a Proceed Amp 5 for the center and surrounds. I ran into the same problem with this combo as well. For me the CC5 need to have more power to keep up so I ended up Bi-amping again, effectively cutting me down to a 5.2 system instead of a 7.2 system.

I'm curious about your experience with the CC5. When you say it could not keep up, how was the sound inadequate? Was the amp clipping? Or if not clipping, was it distorting just prior to clip?

How did the sound change after bi-amping?

Roger

post #644 of 1525 Old 08-20-2011, 04:04 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Dressler View Post

I'm curious about your experience with the CC5. When you say it could not keep up, how was the sound inadequate? Was the amp clipping? Or if not clipping, was it distorting just prior to clip?

How did the sound change after bi-amping?

After I posted my thoughts I kind of figured someone would ask me this. Glad it was you though Roger, I really respect your opinions when I read your post.

As I put in the last paragraph of my comments, I think it was more to do with having the left and right speakers being on bigger amp/amps. I think if the CC5 had been on a matching amp then I would have been fine.

To answer your question directly though, no I never felt that the amp was clipping or did I feel it was distorting. I merely felt that it lagged behind in impact and volume. When I bi-amped the CC5 I personelly felt that it helped it out, but I have no measurements or hard evidence to back that up. I can only tell you what my ears where telling me or at least what my brain thought my ears where telling it.

The point that I was mainly trying to get across to Jd was in my opinion the Aerial CC5 and LR5's need amps that can deliver the goods due to there lower sensitivity rating. For me the D-Sonic was a good choice for my center channel and surrounds needs.

One final thing I would like to share. I talked to Lee at Aerial a few years back and he told me that as far as he knew they never had to replace a driver from to much power, only from people pushing there speakers with not enough power. He gave me a example such as trying to push a pair of Model 9's with a 80 watt receiver to high volume levels. He basically said "The more power you can put to them the better, just be careful with that volume knob" I'm pretty sure Lee is no longer with Aerial, but I did enjoy the time I spent talking to him over the phone. After talking to him a few times I went and bought my first pair of Aerial speakers.
post #645 of 1525 Old 08-31-2011, 07:04 AM

Quote:

After I posted my thoughts I kind of figured someone would ask me this. Glad it was you though Roger, I really respect your opinions when I read your post.

As I put in the last paragraph of my comments, I think it was more to do with having the left and right speakers being on bigger amp/amps. I think if the CC5 had been on a matching amp then I would have been fine.

To answer your question directly though, no I never felt that the amp was clipping or did I feel it was distorting. I merely felt that it lagged behind in impact and volume. When I bi-amped the CC5 I personelly felt that it helped it out, but I have no measurements or hard evidence to back that up. I can only tell you what my ears where telling me or at least what my brain thought my ears where telling it.

The point that I was mainly trying to get across to Jd was in my opinion the Aerial CC5 and LR5's need amps that can deliver the goods due to there lower sensitivity rating. For me the D-Sonic was a good choice for my center channel and surrounds needs.

One final thing I would like to share. I talked to Lee at Aerial a few years back and he told me that as far as he knew they never had to replace a driver from to much power, only from people pushing there speakers with not enough power. He gave me a example such as trying to push a pair of Model 9's with a 80 watt receiver to high volume levels. He basically said "The more power you can put to them the better, just be careful with that volume knob" I'm pretty sure Lee is no longer with Aerial, but I did enjoy the time I spent talking to him over the phone. After talking to him a few times I went and bought my first pair of Aerial speakers.

Yeah. Lee leaving let a one man shop at Aerial. Although talking to Mike has always been very pleasant. I pushed the CC5 with a tube hybrid, Sim Audio Titan and Theta Enterprises.... No clipping there
post #646 of 1525 Old 09-20-2011, 06:35 PM

Heard from some prominent sellers of audio equipments and the story on the 7t is... It was almost a split?? Half of the folks love the Aerial 7t. The other half prefer the older sonics. This surely surprised me. The new 7t is more detail and resolving than any aerial before it. At the minimum the house sound has changed. But is it better? Some say yes and others say no. Guess only time will truly tell all. The die hard lovers of aerial like myself would need to discover if this is the best direction.
post #647 of 1525 Old 09-22-2011, 06:50 PM

Regarding the question of what amp to use, a fundamental equation of the universe:

Aerial + Bryston = Pure Bliss!
post #648 of 1525 Old 09-22-2011, 07:47 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjg66 View Post

Regarding the question of what amp to use, a fundamental equation of the universe:

Aerial + Bryston = Pure Bliss!

ALSO Aerial + McIntosh (MC501's) = Pure Bliss too

Pioneer Elite Kuro, McIntosh amplifiers -- MC501 monos (3) and MC352's (2), McIntosh MX150 pre-pro; Oppo 83SE; speakers -- Aerial Acoustics Model 9's for mains and CC5 for center, Def Tech BPVX/P's and BPVX's for surrounds and JL F113's (2) for subs; Roku 3; PS3; Wiii; Tivos; and Monster HTPS...
post #649 of 1525 Old 10-09-2011, 04:28 AM
Advanced Member

How well does the Aerial 7B match with the CC5 center for L/C/R soundstage and panning?

I have an LR5 (vertical CC5) that I have been using for my center channel. I am becoming discouraged in my efforts to locate a pair of pre-owned LR5 or 10T models that meet my satisfaction for either price or condition. The model 9's would be great for sure, but, they are out of my price range.

I am wondering if I should consider the 7B ? They seem to come up often on Audiogon; usually in very good condition and at excellent prices. I am 90% HT and using a Velodyne FSR15 subwoofer.

post #650 of 1525 Old 10-09-2011, 09:39 AM

Quote:

How well does the Aerial 7B match with the CC5 center for L/C/R soundstage and panning?

I have an LR5 (vertical CC5) that I have been using for my center channel. I am becoming discouraged in my efforts to locate a pair of pre-owned LR5 or 10T models that meet my satisfaction for either price or condition. The model 9's would be great for sure, but, they are out of my price range.

I am wondering if I should consider the 7B ? They seem to come up often on Audiogon; usually in very good condition and at excellent prices. I am 90% HT and using a Velodyne FSR15 subwoofer.

I think that would sound fine! I have never heard them together in the config you mention but I know the characteristics of each, and I beleive them to be a good match.

Thanks,
Carter
post #651 of 1525 Old 10-09-2011, 07:26 PM

Hi i am new to this thread
I just bought on e-bay a LR3 to use as a center channel sp.
To go with a set of Vandersteen 2ce II anniversary additions i bought 1 years ago.
I know the LR3 is a older model but this one was new in the box unopened
I plan to use it on its side in a open cabnet I have never heard this speaker before all i know is a center channel from Aerial goes for around $2300 at the local audio store which is way out of my range since i just spent $4000 on a Sub15 from Paradigm and Anthem reciever
The local dealer recommended Aerial to go with the Vandersteens since a good Vandersteen center goes for over 2 grand as well I got the LR3 for $600
which seems like a good deal for a new one .
So how do you feel about placeing it on it side my theater room is
13ftw-23ftL-10fth and our seating is directly in front.
post #652 of 1525 Old 10-09-2011, 07:42 PM
Advanced Member

Congrats on the LR3 purchase! I have been watching that auction for months now wondering why it had not sold yet for a center channel speaker.

You will be doing an injustice to the speakers design by laying it on its side. It is designed to be upright. Even the CC3B, designed to be positioned horizontal, compromises performance because no speaker is able to disperse properly laying on its side.

Will you notice the difference? It depends on your passion for the hobby and how closely you listen. Now that you have bought it you might as well try it both ways and see what difference you can hear.

post #653 of 1525 Old 10-09-2011, 08:11 PM

Thanks
I figure if i will try it in the cabnet first and go from there it will be replaceing a Quad 2 center I bought a few years ago to go with Quad 22l2 I sold
the center was the last to need to be replaced it couldnt keep pace with the new Vandersteens
post #654 of 1525 Old 10-10-2011, 01:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked: 269
Quote:

You will be doing an injustice to the speakers design by laying it on its side. It is designed to be upright. Even the CC3B, designed to be positioned horizontal, compromises performance because no speaker is able to disperse properly laying on its side.

That depends on how the speaker was designed. If done properly, it need not compromise directivity. See Fig. 18.18 of Toole, Sound Reproduction.

I would also mention that if a speaker with a vertical driver array and excellent horizontal directivity exhibits poor directivity when laying on its side, then it exhibits poor vertical directivity when standing upright. That has been shown to degrade musical quality as the floor/ceiling reflections are colored.

Roger

post #655 of 1525 Old 10-10-2011, 02:51 PM

Panning is a little different. It is certainly not seamless but it is a great center. It is paired better with the LR5 and the 9's. It really is a great center in its day and even hold its own even today. It is one component which I have no desire to upgrade. A friend of mine has integrated it with his Revel Salon 2s. That cc5 is a very nice speaker. You will not lose much from a c3 to c5...just gain more.
post #656 of 1525 Old 10-10-2011, 07:17 PM

I was relying very strongly on the recommendation of the store in Portland that sells the Aerial line that they would blend very well with the smoothness of the Vandersteens.
And the fact that i spend more going out to Starbucks in a month with the wife makes it a real good deal
I really need to reduce the caffeine intake anyway .I should have the speaker in the next week or so ,when it comes in i will give a update and post a pic
Thanks for input one and all.
post #657 of 1525 Old 10-11-2011, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotobird View Post

I was relying very strongly on the recommendation of the store in Portland that sells the Aerial line that they would blend very well with the smoothness of the Vandersteens.
And the fact that i spend more going out to Starbucks in a month with the wife makes it a real good deal
I really need to reduce the caffeine intake anyway .I should have the speaker in the next week or so ,when it comes in i will give a update and post a pic
Thanks for input one and all.

I agree with you. Save on the caffeine. The c5 will blend worth a lot of speakers out there due to it's neutrality.
post #658 of 1525 Old 10-22-2011, 12:03 PM
Advanced Member

Anybody here have a pair of LR5's hanging around looking for a home? Maybe it's your time for a 20T upgrade?!

I'm in need of a pair of LR5's. Please PM me if you know of a pair that's available for purchase. (I check ebay, Audiogon, and Videogon regularly. Not much there right now.)

Thanks.

JD

post #659 of 1525 Old 10-23-2011, 07:01 PM

Well the new speaker arrived earlier in the week and it is now doing center duties between my Vandersteens it has been playing about 50 hours now heavy duty this weekend
the mids and highs are a good match the low end dose not have the richness yet.
I am using a Anthem receiver with their room correction software .
The speaker dose do a lot better when standing vertical and the wife is not complaining as of yet since it is now standing in front of the cabinet to hold the TV I'm waiting to let it brake in for a while to see if it will work better on its side
If not i will have to come up with a different idea
Also curious dose anyone listen to surround music for CD what processing do you prefer
post #660 of 1525 Old 10-25-2011, 05:21 AM

Wonder it the Arial 7t reviews would be out before ces.. and whether aerial will be at ces
Reply Speakers

Tags
Energy Cc 5 Center Channel Speaker Black

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page