6Likes

post #901 of 1464 Old 06-08-2013, 02:22 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Class A View Post

The 5B will not change. He wants to keep that speaker in the same price range. According to Michael if he changes the cabinet the cost would be to high. He feels if you want more bass add a sub. The replacement for the 9 will be out in around 2 years. He's looking at a price point of $16000. I did not ask about the tweeter on the 3C I was just surprised it was out. The 6T is ready for production he's just waiting for parts to assemble the speakers. Not a very big company by the way he only has 5 full time employees. One person asked him about amplifiers and he seem rather high on Brystons and the Gato integrated which he is importing. As far as cables were concerned he just shrugged and said as used all types in all price ranges. I think he was being polite being he was at a dealers store and didn't want to elaborate any further. Very nice open house they also had B&W, Classe Totem, Bryston, Arcam and Nad plus a few others which escape me. Lots of people good food and plenty of Beer and Wine.smile.gif

I drive my Lr3s with a Bryston and love the sound. It seems a nice match. While living in the uk, I wish there was more of a used aerial market... I just purchased a pair of floor standers for 2 channel room and went with a pair of audio physic Virgo 25s but would have loved a 7t although I'm not a fan of redish wood veneer finishes, I wish Michael Kelly would modernize a bit his wood finish options with ebony, walnut etc.... More dark wood finishes. The rosewood and cherry is not my taste but sure others like it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #902 of 1464 Old 06-08-2013, 02:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdavies09031977 View Post

Sorry for the delay in replying. I'm just using a standard off the shelf soldering iron I got from Amazon. Seems to work fine.

No worries, if I have to paint my speakers again, I will remove the drivers like you did....
post #903 of 1464 Old 06-08-2013, 02:41 AM

Quote:

Agreed - the midrange looks the same too, only the bass drivers look different. They look the same as the bass units on the outgoing 9's actually!

My understanding is the cc3c is just a stop gap solution until the new center arrives so not sure how much of a difference it would make in blending versus a cc3b....
post #904 of 1464 Old 06-08-2013, 03:54 AM

Quote:

I've not seen a 7T on Audiogon so far, but a fair few Model 9's pop up, and thought I've not had the pleasure of hearing a 7T, I'd wager the 9's would give an 802D a good whooping!

I saw a pair of 7Ts in black on Audiogon but they weren't there long so assume they sold... I think the guy was asking around $6k for them plus or minus. Great deal and probably underpriced and snatched up quick.
post #905 of 1464 Old 06-08-2013, 11:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejn1 View Post

My understanding is the cc3c is just a stop gap solution until the new center arrives so not sure how much of a difference it would make in blending versus a cc3b....
When I talked to him he did not indicate that the cc-3c was a stop gap center. It will be for both the 7T & 6T which will go into production as soon as all the parts arrive for assembly. They should be out around Christmas at about $6000. I have a feeling the CC3b will be gone soon.smile.gif
post #906 of 1464 Old 06-09-2013, 02:25 AM

Quote:

When I talked to him he did not indicate that the cc-3c was a stop gap center. It will be for both the 7T & 6T which will go into production as soon as all the parts arrive for assembly. They should be out around Christmas at about $6000. I have a feeling the CC3b will be gone soon.smile.gif

Hi Class A,

Maybe I'm confused but I talked to Michael Kelly on the phone about a month ago and thought he told me that the current center CC3c "will work" fine with the 7t's but he is coming out with a new center channel speaker to be specifically designed for the "t" series. He did not use the words stop gap but this was my interpretation. So, I was thinking the CC3b already had a minor update to a CC3c and this is current model available.
post #907 of 1464 Old 06-09-2013, 06:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Maybe I misunderstood. Possibly he's going to wait until the 9T comes out in a couple of years and he has the whole line in place to do a total upgrade. Should be interesting. smile.gif
post #908 of 1464 Old 06-09-2013, 07:22 AM

Quote:

Maybe I misunderstood. Possibly he's going to wait until the 9T comes out in a couple of years and he has the whole line in place to do a total upgrade. Should be interesting. smile.gif

Maybe but he seemed to infer that the new center to match the 7T was not that far away... Let's hope!
post #909 of 1464 Old 06-09-2013, 07:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Yeah but speed is not one of the virtues at Aerial. He's a pretty laid back person and spends a lot of time in Maine just enjoying life. smile.gif
post #910 of 1464 Old 06-09-2013, 11:45 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
When I was contemplating buying the 7ts I talked to Michael and he told me that there would be a new centre channel to channel to match the 7ts, after having the 7t's for about 8 months I emailed and asked how long for the new centre channel speaker would be, that is when he told me that there would not be a new one that the next speakers that would be introduced would be then 6t's sometime next year so I believe you have to take what he says very literally, if you talk to some of his retailed they will give you the same message, add lot's of time to what he says.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
post #911 of 1464 Old 06-20-2013, 03:15 PM
AVS Special Member

In case anyone is interested, I was at Fidelis in Derry NH today and saw a pair of 4yr old LR-5's w/stands for about $3500. I only saw one small mark less than 1/4 of an inch on one side of the speaker. Look like new overall. Also the stands are fitted w/wheels for easy movement. Color is dark cherry.smile.gif
post #912 of 1464 Old 08-04-2013, 11:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Anyone awake around here? I'm still enjoying my Aerial Acoustics LR5 system immensely.

I'm thinking of upgrading my side channel speakers to something in the Aerial line-up. I really don't want to pony up enough cash for two more LR5's: wonder which Aerial speakers would tonally match the LR5's that might cost less on the used market?

I'm presently using floor standers; old Polk RTA11t's.

David Lynch Current Equipment: Marantz AV8801, Proceed HPA3, Parasound HCA-1206, Aerial Acoustics LR5's (LCR), Aerial Acoustics LR3's (sides), RBH in-walls (rears), Seaton Submersive, Marantz VP15s1, 106" Carada BW screen, Oppo BDP-103.
post #913 of 1464 Old 08-04-2013, 11:38 AM

I bought a used pair of SR3's and they are awesome. The best surround I have used by a long shot. You could also get a pair of LR3's but they take up some real estate. ps, Prior to finding the SR3's, I think earlier in this thread I asked for ideas on non Aerial surrounds that would be a good match and there were some suggestions. Aperion(?) and PSB come to mind...
post #914 of 1464 Old 08-04-2013, 12:27 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
The SR3's are a great surround speakers, I have to agree, the best I have heard!

If you prefer direct radiating over a dipole/bipole design, there is always the 5B, which I think has the same tweeter at the LR5's.
post #915 of 1464 Old 08-04-2013, 12:41 PM

Quote:

The SR3's are a great surround speakers, I have to agree, the best I have heard!

If you prefer direct radiating over a dipole/bipole design, there is always the 5B, which I think has the same tweeter at the LR5's.
Hi gdavies, how did the paint job come out with the SR3's?
post #916 of 1464 Old 08-04-2013, 01:06 PM
Advanced Member

I wonder if I would miss the output of my tower speakers if I changed them out with the SR3's?

The SR3's do seem to come up often on A-gon.

David Lynch Current Equipment: Marantz AV8801, Proceed HPA3, Parasound HCA-1206, Aerial Acoustics LR5's (LCR), Aerial Acoustics LR3's (sides), RBH in-walls (rears), Seaton Submersive, Marantz VP15s1, 106" Carada BW screen, Oppo BDP-103.
post #917 of 1464 Old 08-04-2013, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejn1 View Post

Hi gdavies, how did the paint job come out with the SR3's?

Not quite got around to it yet, still plaster boarding my cinema room!
post #918 of 1464 Old 08-04-2013, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdlynch View Post

I wonder if I would miss the output of my tower speakers if I changed them out with the SR3's?

The SR3's do seem to come up often on A-gon.

Depends what you mean by 'output' - the SR3's certainly go as loud as you might need them to without distortion of any kind. If you mean bass extension, they are only good to about 50Hz of course.
post #919 of 1464 Old 08-04-2013, 02:32 PM

Quote:

Not quite got around to it yet, still plaster boarding my cinema room!
Fully understand! Hope your project is coming together!
post #920 of 1464 Old 08-04-2013, 02:36 PM

Quote:

Depends what you mean by 'output' - the SR3's certainly go as loud as you might need them to without distortion of any kind. If you mean bass extension, they are only good to about 50Hz of course.
Agree. they have quite an impact with great weight and slam. My jaw drops when I play 5.1 music. I tend to want to cross over the rears anyway as its not easy to get bass linear and tamed in a room so I would think I would probably trying to avoid competing (and/or blending) with bass output of towers in the rear.
post #921 of 1464 Old 08-04-2013, 03:20 PM
Advanced Member

I cross my current speakers over at 80hz, so, 50hz will cause no change there. My main concern was the quantity and size of the drivers. I have heard good things about the SR3's...I should probably give them first consideration.

post #922 of 1464 Old 08-05-2013, 05:55 AM
AVS Special Member

The SR-3's would blend in nicely w/your front speakers. If hanging on the walls is a problem I've been using 5's for years w/good results. smile.gif
post #923 of 1464 Old 08-05-2013, 06:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:

Anyone awake around here? I'm still enjoying my Aerial Acoustics LR5 system immensely.

I'm thinking of upgrading my side channel speakers to something in the Aerial line-up. I really don't want to pony up enough cash for two more LR5's: wonder which Aerial speakers would tonally match the LR5's that might cost less on the used market?

I'm presently using floor standers; old Polk RTA11t's.

Hey JD, thanks for rattling our cages.

What is the size of your room? If relatively small, you'll like the SR3's, imho. But you'll need wall mounting with no nearby corners. Remember, bipole/dipole speakers were primarily a product of the Dolby Pro Logic era. Thus, the speakers were designed for analog stereo home cinema applications.

If it's relatively large and you have a modicum of distance between your ears and the surrounds, definitely go with the 5B's. With distance, the monopoles will have less of a directivity problem.

BTW, there are some SR3's and 5's (not the B version) over one A-gon right now. As surrounds, the 5's will mate fine with your towers. (Hahaaaa....I might add that there is also a pair of LR5's on the gon...just calling your name. biggrin.gif)

MARGARITAS,
they're not just for breakfast anymore.
post #924 of 1464 Old 08-05-2013, 06:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudslide View Post

Hey JD, thanks for rattling our cages.

What is the size of your room? If relatively small, you'll like the SR3's, imho. But you'll need wall mounting with no nearby corners. Remember, bipole/dipole speakers were primarily a product of the Dolby Pro Logic era. Thus, the speakers were designed for analog stereo home cinema applications.

If it's relatively large and you have a modicum of distance between your ears and the surrounds, definitely go with the 5B's. With distance, the monopoles will have less of a directivity problem.

BTW, there are some SR3's and 5's (not the B version) over one A-gon right now. As surrounds, the 5's will mate fine with your towers. (Hahaaaa....I might add that there is also a pair of LR5's on the gon...just calling your name. biggrin.gif)

Hi Mudslide-

My theater is in an open family room in the basement; I posted some pictures with a link to them in my signature. If I got the SR3's I would need to sit them on my end-tables as I don't have any walls near my HT area. Hopefully my photographs will give you a better idea.

Wonder how the SR3's would do sitting on my end tables?

post #925 of 1464 Old 08-05-2013, 08:26 PM
AVS Special Member

I would consider the 5's. The advantage they have is that they are completely sealed. This means you can place them close to the wall w/out affecting the bass. I've had mine for quite a while and they work seamlessly. For some strange reason the 5's are located in the full range category rather than monitor. Probably could get them for less than the 2 pair of SR-3's that are also on Agon.smile.gif
post #926 of 1464 Old 08-06-2013, 04:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I would consider the 5's. The advantage they have is that they are completely sealed. This means you can place them close to the wall w/out affecting the bass. I've had mine for quite a while and they work seamlessly. For some strange reason the 5's are located in the full range category rather than monitor. Probably could get them for less than the 2 pair of SR-3's that are also on Agon.smile.gif

Thanks Class A. The 5's appear to be my best option. I've only been using my side channels for a few months now; I'm surprised how much content is in these speakers. When panning from the front-to-side-to-rear I can tell a noticeable difference in the timbre of my speakers (Aerial/Polk).

Hopefully this will be my LAST speaker purchase:rolleyes:

post #927 of 1464 Old 08-06-2013, 04:54 AM

Quote:

Thanks Class A. The 5's appear to be my best option. I've only been using my side channels for a few months now; I'm surprised how much content is in these speakers. When panning from the front-to-side-to-rear I can tell a noticeable difference in the timbre of my speakers (Aerial/Polk).

Hopefully this will be my LAST speaker purchase:rolleyes:

If you can fit the 5's, they would be best. I'd love to have a big enough room to have 5's all round, that'd be awesome! The LR3's (which have been discontinued for a few years now) are a fair bit smaller if space is an issue (as was suggested above). The LR3's are a sealed design also, and share the tweeter and mid-range that is used on the 5's. So they will be a good timber match also. Plus both the LR3 and the LR5 have have environmental controls for both bass and treble to assist with placement close to a wall (or indeed with in one).

- Gareth
post #928 of 1464 Old 08-06-2013, 05:04 AM

Sorry, just had a look at the pics of your room, the LR5's or LR3's are definitely the way to go if you can't wall mount the SR3's.

Make sure you get the stands for them too, as you have with the FR and FL, as you current side surround are a little low TBH, a pair of LR5 up on the stands, with the spikes that naturally angle them up a little, should put the tweeter at a much better height for surround duties, effectively firing over your heads.when seated.
post #929 of 1464 Old 08-06-2013, 05:09 AM
Advanced Member

Thanks Gareth-

I really don't want to invest into another pair of LR5's, however, the LR3's might be within my reach. I agree with your comment regarding the height of my side speakers; they should definitely be a bit higher.

post #930 of 1464 Old 08-06-2013, 05:18 AM

Quote:

Thanks Gareth-

I really don't want to invest into another pair of LR5's, however, the LR3's might be within my reach. I agree with your comment regarding the height of my side speakers; they should definitely be a bit higher.

The LR3's are an excellent speaker, not quite as full or powerful as the LR5 as you might rightly expect, but still excellent. When I bought mine, I bought essentially an ex-demo pack of the Aerials, which consisted of 2 x LR5's, CC5, 2 x SR3's and 2 x LR3. So I'm planning on using the LR3's as front heights for DTS Neo:X purposes. I'm in the process of designing a wall mount bracket in order to hold the LR3's at the right height - not easy given their 47lb weight!
Reply Speakers

Tags
Energy Cc 5 Center Channel Speaker Black

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page