post #91 of 1393 Old 09-03-2008, 08:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkenator2 View Post

I am loving my 7B fronts, CC3B center, SR3 surrounds with JL Audio F113 subwoofer. Just added the stands for the 7Bs and cobbled together the money to replace the grills on my SR3s (speakers purchased used on audiogon, could not get the white grills clean, replaced with brand new black grills). My understanding is there is a replacement on the way for the LR3s and CC3B, and my guess is a replacement for the 7B cannot be far behind (they are now only available in black- I am glad I bought my pair of rosenut 7Bs when I did!)

I've heard the same thing about the new lineup coming at Aerial. If I recall correctly, it did include the 7B...but being old as dirt, nothing is certain. I have no idea what the changes might include.

Anyone?

MARGARITAS,
they're not just for breakfast anymore.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 1393 Old 09-03-2008, 11:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

My understanding is there is a replacement on the way for the LR3s and CC3B, and my guess is a replacement for the 7B cannot be far behind (they are now only available in black- I am glad I bought my pair of rosenut 7Bs when I did!)

I have not heard of any new changes other then the 20T is now a 20T v2 and the only other changes reflected on the brand new price list (other then an increase across the board) only shows a new LR 3 comming.
So I do not believe that anything else could be "far behind" it, at least not according to THE LIST.

With the price changes being what they are, the price of a new LR 3 could not be much less then the old price of a 7b. Or maybe just as much, if they make it's new woofers with the same material as they used for the 20T v2.
That new woofer is backed by the same material used in the construction of helicopter blades!

I know no changes are due to the CC5 and MDL. 9's, and to expect a new LR3at a higher price.
But that's it frrom what Michael Kelly told me.
Of coUrse, he don't tell me everything that's on his mind.

TURN IT UP!
post #93 of 1393 Old 09-06-2008, 06:08 PM

Liked: 10
According to Ultimate AV, Aerial showed a new model 7c with a more curvaceous cabinet. Anyone else have any more info on this model?
post #94 of 1393 Old 09-07-2008, 01:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

According to Ultimate AV, Aerial showed a new model 7c with a more curvaceous cabinet. Anyone else have any more info on this model?

Ya see! I told ya he don't tell me everything that's on his mind.

This is the link to the pic of the 7C's on Ultimate AV website, in case anyone would like to see them.

http://blog.ultimateavmag.com/cedia2...ith_new_dudes/

I find absolutly no other source reporting on them so far.

TURN IT UP!
post #95 of 1393 Old 09-07-2008, 08:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbrother52 View Post

This is the link to the pic of the 7C's on Ultimate AV website, in case anyone would like to see them.

Yeah, like the sparse posts on this thread...Aerial seems to want to fly under the hype radar. Those are lovely little creatures, the 7C's! Thanks for the link.

MARGARITAS,
post #96 of 1393 Old 09-07-2008, 02:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudslide View Post

Those are lovely little creatures, the 7C's!

Yes they are, very pretty indeed!

Aerials cabinet factory is in Denmark. The same factory as a matter of fact which also builds enclosures to spec for Audio Physic, Linn, DALI, & Naim.

Anyone else notice some similarity between the 7C and another speaker by one of those other brands?

I'm not saying it's a bad thing,
How many different shapes can you make out of a box anyway?
I love this look. Just an observation.

If I had bought my 9's based on looks, I'd have picked a prettier speaker.
Although, they do have a rather appealing, yet odd shape of their own.

TURN IT UP!
post #97 of 1393 Old 10-04-2008, 02:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcowden View Post

A little late to the discussion, but I thought I'd share my set up.

I am currently running 5.1, in anticipation of going to 7.1 (or maybe .2). I have a pair of Model 6s as my front left/right, a CC5, a pair of SR3s for side surrounds, and an SW12. My plan is to purchase the Model 9s for front LR and move the 6s to the rear when I can swing it.

I have an Anthem D1 with P5 and P2 amplifiers driving everything, although the P2 sits idle waiting for the 9s :-(

Cheers,

Tom

I am looking to buy new Aerial mains to go with an LR5 center I just purchased. Money is a tough resource at this time. The 6's might be affordable; How do you feel the 6's do along with your CC5 center? My thought is that the 6's could not keep up.

What are your impressions?

David Lynch
post #98 of 1393 Old 10-05-2008, 04:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdlynch View Post

I am looking to buy new Aerial mains to go with an LR5 center I just purchased. Money is a tough resource at this time. The 6's might be affordable; How do you feel the 6's do along with your CC5 center? My thought is that the 6's could not keep up.

What are your impressions?

I think you have two (good) choices.

Buy a pair of LR5's with whatever money you can cobble up...buying used if necessary, or get a pair of 5B's in anticipation of upgrading to 7B's (minimum) or LR5's (preferrable) in the future...relegating the 5B's at that time to surround work.

Good choice of a center, though, jd!

MARGARITAS,
post #99 of 1393 Old 10-07-2008, 06:50 PM
Advanced Member

I received my LR5 and hooked it up to my system. I am very un-impressed; it sounds almost as bad as a television speaker. It seems almost like there is a "lid" on the speaker. My previous matrix 805 center speaker sounded much better.

My amp is a Parasound HCA1206. I have bridged two channels which I am feeding the Aerial with. I thought this would be enough power to adequately drive the Aerial.

What should one expect the Aerial to sound like if in fact the amplifier is too weak in power/current?

I am sitting here wondering if I should move forward with upgrading my amp and purchasing additional Aerial mains, or, go back to my 805's...

David Lynch
post #100 of 1393 Old 10-07-2008, 07:10 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Quote:

I received my LR5 and hooked it up to my system. I am very un-impressed; it sounds almost as bad as a television speaker. It seems almost like there is a "lid" on the speaker. My previous matrix 805 center speaker sounded much better.

If you got them used check that all the speakers are working ok (especially the tweeters). Just put an ear close to each speakers while playing music.
post #101 of 1393 Old 10-07-2008, 08:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

My amp is a Parasound HCA1206. I have bridged two channels which I am feeding the Aerial with. I thought this would be enough power to adequately drive the Aerial.

What should one expect the Aerial to sound like if in fact the amplifier is too weak in power/current?

I am sitting here wondering if I should move forward with upgrading my amp and purchasing additional Aerial mains, or, go back to my 805's...

I'm not sure what you mean by "a lid on the speaker". Muted treble? Muffled overall presentation? Is the unit used or new?

If the problem is an apparently muted treble, tranle has suggested the right thing...check the tweeter to make certain it's working. But also, Aerial speakers are not 'bright' speakers. Someone here accurately characterized them as having smoothed or slightly rounded edges (acoustically speaking). Aerials are not as forward as your 805's are, but are more dynamic and musical, IMHO. And distortion should be near zero in this speaker.

Perhaps you're not used to hearing one speaker at a time? Have you compared it to one (only one) of the 805's? I believe speakers project a different presentation when heard in stereo. Lastly, placement is probably more important with your Aerial than the B&W's. Try moving it away from walls by at least 18" if possible.

Your amp, if working properly, should provide adequate power.

Please report back.

MARGARITAS,
post #102 of 1393 Old 10-08-2008, 10:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Jd:

I'm sure you checked but what about the environment toggles on the back? Did you play with them?

Also, could it be that a bridged channel can't drive lower impedances? The LR5 is 4ohms nominal and 3ohm minimum. Something tells me bridged channels are limited to 8ohms. But still, that shouldn't cause a muffled sound
post #103 of 1393 Old 10-09-2008, 05:17 AM
Advanced Member

Thanks for the suggestions. As it turns out, the tweeter is damaged. I am presently working with the guy I purchased it from to resolve the issue.

David Lynch
post #104 of 1393 Old 10-09-2008, 09:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Jd: Good luck. Bad news about the damage. But good news that it's not the speaker itself because we all know how good Aerials are. Your report came as a surprise to us i'm sure.
post #105 of 1393 Old 10-09-2008, 09:52 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbrother52 View Post

Is it just me or does that cabinet look almost identical to the Dali Helicon cabinet?
post #106 of 1393 Old 10-09-2008, 12:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

Is it just me or does that cabinet look almost identical to the Dali Helicon cabinet?

Nothing like the Dali's, however, it's identical to the ERA Design towers minus the grills. Not surprising given the relationship between the two companies designers.

Tony G. Cordova, President
Showplace Oklahoma - Showplace Theater & Sound
"We put the SHOW in your PLACE."
post #107 of 1393 Old 10-17-2008, 06:22 PM
Advanced Member

In a smaller size theater/family room area, 13' 6" x 25' x 9', playing at moderate volumes, would anything in the soundtracks be missed by using a set of LR3's as opposed to using the LR5's?

I know the LR5's are super, but they are very large and more expensive. But are they not more for playing loud in a large room? In my small room, would the LR3's sound almost the same; only at a smaller scale?

David Lynch
post #108 of 1393 Old 10-17-2008, 10:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

In a smaller size theater/family room area, 13' 6" x 25' x 9', playing at moderate volumes, would anything in the soundtracks be missed by using a set of LR3's as opposed to using the LR5's?

I know the LR5's are super, but they are very large and more expensive. But are they not more for playing loud in a large room? In my small room, would the LR3's sound almost the same; only at a smaller scale?

I haven't heard the LR3's, but from their specs I will say that your room size should present absolutely no problem for them. A subwoofer would be required for powerful LFE bass, but so too if you purchased LR5's.

To me the LR3 is to the LR5 what the 7B is to the Model 9. You should get a heap of delight out of an LR3 home theater setup. My 7B's in 2-channel stereo fill my 7k^3' room just fine.

MARGARITAS,
post #109 of 1393 Old 10-18-2008, 06:08 AM
Advanced Member

Thanks Mudslide,

What speakers and amplification do you have in your theater set-up?

David Lynch
post #110 of 1393 Old 10-18-2008, 12:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks Mudslide,

What speakers and amplification do you have in your theater set-up?

I'm in the process of transition on those. (It always seems to be a process for those of us with small wallets. ) I bought cherry 7B's and cherry is no longer made in the CC3B center...so I need to find a (rarely available) cherry used one. I'm also looking for a pair of used cherry 5B's for surrounds. Meanwhile I'm making do with a not-too-badly timbre matched JBL EC35 center, JBL S38 surrounds, Infinity Reference One rears, and two Hsu VTF3 subwoofers. I also intend to add an Hsu MBM-12 for some high octane, nearfield mid-bass.

My current amplification is adequate for what I have, but will need to be upgraded when I eventually acquire the rest of the Aerials. I am using a 130 wpc Yamaha RX-V2500 receiver which is more than adequate for the volume levels we listen to. But the goal is to upgrade to an ultra-value laden Emotiva XPA-5 (channel) @ 200 wpc into 8 ohms, all channels driven...using the Yamaha as a pre/pro and to drive the rear surrounds.

IMHO, this is a budget system that will keep up with most of the finer gear out there costing thousands more.

I think you're really going to enjoy your new Aerial system! Do you have something you're replacing or is this a first for you?

MARGARITAS,
post #111 of 1393 Old 10-18-2008, 08:57 PM
Advanced Member

Hey Mudslide,

This is far from the first for me. My first purchase for hometheater was a Vector Research VR3000 stereo receiver, AAL speakers, mono VCR, and a device from Radio Shack that simulated stereo from a mono signal. This is how I first watched movies; in simulated 2 channel stereo. This was in 1984, before dolby stereo was main stream. I was one of the few people I knew of that even had a VCR.

From that system, I upgraded to a Luxman R115 receiver and Polk RTA 11 tower speakers. I added a Luxman CD player and a Pioneer Hi-Fi VCR. Still two channel, but the upgrade to Hi-Fi VCR put me in heaven watching movies. This was 1986. CD players were still fairly new to the market.

In 1987, I discovered Dolby surround. Not pro-logic yet, but just the surround channels. I purchased a unit from NEC (forgot the model number) which basically connected to my reeiver via the tape loop. It provided the processing and amplification for the rear channels. It sounded OK. I had friends that thought I was crazy for spending money on such foolish ideas and it was only a fad. (If only they knew what the future for home theater held). I was still the only person I was aware of that had a home theater. I was already hooked on the hobby at this time. I bought a pair of Paradigm 3-SE speakers for my surround speakers (awesome speakers).

I got married in 1988, had kids, so things slowed down a bit. We did purchase a Mitsubishi 45" rear projection television (my first "big screen") as a wedding gift to ourselves (ok, to me). My dad thought I was spending my money foolishly.

In 1992, I upgraded to a Carver DPL33 pro-logic processor which replaced the NEC. I still had my Luxman which I ran it through. I also added a polk center channel speaker. Forgot the model number, it cost me about $150.00.

I loved the Luxman by the way because I was an audio guy back then and the Luxman had a warm tube-like sound that to me outperformed many systems costing a lot more money. The add on processors from NEC and Carver gave me the best of both worlds; Two channel nirvana and home theater from the same system.

Around 1994, I sold my Carver processor and purchased a Yamaha RXV815 pro-logic receiver. The sound offered a huge upgrade from the luxman/carver combo. However, for two channel, the Luxman was still the daddy. I kept the Luxman and purchased a used set of Polk 5jr+ speakers for separate system. At this time I sold the polk center speaker and bought a definitive technology CLR-1000 center channel speaker (which I still own).

In early 1997, my wife bought me a Pioneer DV500 DVD player. This was the very first DVD player my local hi-fi store sold to anyone. This one was a pre-buy. Again, I was the first of my friends to habe a DVD player too. Video tapes were still the dominant media available and there were only a few new releases available for rent. To purchase a DVD movie back then was very expensive.

In November 1997, we moved to a new home that had a huge family/media room. I got the itch to upgrade again. I ended up selling the Yamaha and purchasing a Lexicon DC-1, version 3.1 with AC-3 (dolby digital) and DTS. I paired this with a Parasound HCA-1206 120 watt per channel x 6 amplifier. I still had my Polk RTA11's, def tech CLR1000, and new RBH in-walls for surround duty. For added bass, I purchased a Velodyne FSR-15 subwoofer.

Two years ago when we started building our new home, I purchased a set of three B&W Matrix 805 speakers to use for front LCR that I came across on audiogon. They stayed in the box for the time being.

In May of this year our house was nearly done and I purchased my best toy ever, a Marantz VP15s1 projector and a Carada 106" diagonal BW screen. My dad and I installed the system and did the set-up. At this time I installed my electronics for audio as well. I pulled the 805's out of their boxes and put them on stands below the screen for left, center and right. I put the FSR15 next to the couch.

So here I am. Itching to upgrade my speakers to match my huge screen. I first heard Aerials nearly ten years ago (7b's and a CC3 center, SR3 surrounds) and I knew one day I would own them. Problem was, money does not nor has it ever "grown on trees" in my house-hold.

I came across a used LR5 on audiogon a couple of weeks ago for $1600. It said one owner and well cared for. Since I needed a vertical center channel to fit my room, and the price and description looked good, I jumped at the deal and whipped out my credit card. When it arrived via yellow freight, a huge box on a skid weighing nearly 140 lbs, I thought to myself that my wife will surely love this huge speaker when she sees it.

My plan was to pull my old Polk RTA 11's out of the closet for mains and use the Aerial for center. This would have to work until I can afford new Aerial mains. However, the Polks really do sound great.

I hooked it up and my heart sank. It sounded like sh#%. Much worse than the 805 matrix it replaced for center channel duty. I posted here on the forum with my disappointment and asked for ideas. Someone suggested I make sure the drivers were working. DUH!! Sure enough, the tweeter was dead.

That is where I am now, contemplating if I should return it for a refund or replace the tweeter. I can purchase a brand new LR3 for about the same price as I paid for the used LR5. I know the LR5 is a better speaker for the money, but, the size of the LR3 is much easier to live with, does not require as expensive of an amplifier upgrade, and would be new. For my room, which is only 13' 6" x 25' (opening to a larger area of the basement; my couch is 13' from the screen) the LR3 might be all I need anyway without overpowering my room.

My next upgrade is to a complete Aerial system and either Bryston or Theta amplifiers. I then want to get my room treated acoustically for the ultimate sound improvement.

Any thoughts on my LR5 vs LR3 dilemma, anyone?

Hope you enjoyed reading about my home theater journey. It has been a true hobby that I have enjoyed for years. I just wish that I could afford it. I am envious of people like Bruzonsky that have systems I could only dream of.

David Lynch
post #112 of 1393 Old 10-20-2008, 08:00 PM
AVS Club Gold

jdlynch

I just got a pair of used Aerial LR5 and a new CC5 center and couldn't be happier. I think you should fix the LR5 and get two more to match. I have a pair of Theta Citadel 1.5 on the LR5 and a Dreadnaught II power the CC5 and surrounds. I think you are on the right track and should hang in there. Good luck.

post #113 of 1393 Old 10-20-2008, 09:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KX250F View Post

Lovely, lovely setup DX250F!!

MARGARITAS,
post #114 of 1393 Old 10-21-2008, 07:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Mudslide,

What are you running for your surrounds? Nice looking theater!
post #115 of 1393 Old 10-21-2008, 07:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bambam View Post

Mudslide,

What are you running for your surrounds? Nice looking theater!

Hi bambam. The above theater belongs to another member (KX250F) and I am envious, too. I detailed my speaker situation a couple of posts above...post #110. But I'd be curious what KX250F is running for surrounds, as well.

MARGARITAS,
post #116 of 1393 Old 10-21-2008, 09:05 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Quote:

That is where I am now, contemplating if I should return it for a refund or replace the tweeter. I can purchase a brand new LR3 for about the same price as I paid for the used LR5. I know the LR5 is a better speaker for the money, but, the size of the LR3 is much easier to live with, does not require as expensive of an amplifier upgrade, and would be new. For my room, which is only 13' 6" x 25' (opening to a larger area of the basement; my couch is 13' from the screen) the LR3 might be all I need anyway without overpowering my room.

Hi jdlynch, it was me that suggested to check the tweeter because I also bought a pair of use Aerial (model 9) earlier this year. And they also came with blown tweeters. I don't know if it was before shipment or during shipment. But the seller was good enough to have the tweeters replaced by Aerial. I had to unsoldered them and ship them back to the factory. And those tweeter cost a bunch, $200 per tweeter.
post #117 of 1393 Old 10-21-2008, 10:57 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudslide View Post

Hi bambam. The above theater belongs to another member (KX250F) and I am envious, too. I detailed my speaker situation a couple of posts above...post #110. But I'd be curious what KX250F is running for surrounds, as well.

Thanks for the kind comments guys. I am running Paradigm SR-35 Inwall surrounds. I turned this room into a dedicated theater about 2.5 years ago and went with inwalls for the surrounds due to space. I was running Krell Resolution Ones, and a Resolution Center up until last week when I got the Aerials.

This is a picture showing the rear. I've been telling myself I am going to paint the surrounds black since putting them in 2.5 years ago, but as you see this hasn't happened yet.

post #118 of 1393 Old 10-21-2008, 12:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
KX250F, nice looking system my friend.

What do you feel are the major differences between the LR5 and Krell Resolutions? I would suspect you might say the biggest difference is in the upper frequencies.?. The LR5 uses a much better tweeter imho. The detail for home theater is very very very good.

Tony G. Cordova, President
Showplace Oklahoma - Showplace Theater & Sound
"We put the SHOW in your PLACE."
post #119 of 1393 Old 10-21-2008, 12:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
KX,

How far back is the front row of seating from the front Left and Right of the LR5's?
post #120 of 1393 Old 10-21-2008, 12:44 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttowntony View Post

KX250F, nice looking system my friend.

What do you feel are the major differences between the LR5 and Krell Resolutions? I would suspect you might say the biggest difference is in the upper frequencies.?. The LR5 uses a much better tweeter imho. The detail for home theater is very very very good.

You are correct. Overall they just sound more real. I watched some T.V. shows last night in HD and couldn't believe the difference I heard. The voices where just so much more real and clear. I am very pleased with them so far.

What do you guys think about Mcintosh amps with the Aerials. I was thinking about three 501 monos to with the three Aerial speakers.
Reply Speakers

Tags
Energy Cc 5 Center Channel Speaker Black

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page