2Likes

post #1351 of 1378 Old 06-22-2014, 05:25 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by g_bartman View Post
Now that's what I call customer service. I'm sure you will enjoy those 6t's for years to come (unless the Aerial upgrade bug hits you) What are you driving them with?
They are great so far. These replaced Wharfedale Jade 5's, nice enough, but a little bulky for us. Listening to tracks that I have listened to many times as part of speaker set-up, auditioning, etc. there are three things that stand-out right away - 1) detail. We can hear things in these tracks that just weren't discernible before - little background clues, a slight intake of breath, etc. 2) Low frequencies - where the Wharfedales put out sound, the Aerials put out distinguishable notes .3) Sound Staging. Unquestionably better. Quite impressive to have this experience in the home. Overall, the sound is just superior. I don't have all the adjectives, but a big move in in quality, visually and sonically. Of course the Jades and Aerials are at different price points to be fair to Wharfedale.

The Aerials are part of a simple 2-channel audio-only set-up that the whole family uses.
Inputs: 1) Olive 06HD. The music library is here. Olive has its issues but the 06 is easy to run, and still working just fine. another subject...
2) Apple TV and simple outboard DAC. This gets us the stuff that Olive can't do - Spotify, Pandora, local iTunes libraries, etc.

Amplification: Copland Integrated Amp, CSA-14. Copland is a Danish brand featuring Scandinavian minimalism. A little obscure in the US.

Output: Aerial Acoustic 6T's.

Size, pictures: The 6T's look like the 7T's but are 6 1/2" wide at the front and 12 1/2" deep, and 42 1/2" tall, excluding spikes. Overall the 6T's are just over 1/2 of the 7T's volume, which is apparent when you see them side-to-side.

Last edited by clpetersen; 06-22-2014 at 05:26 AM. Reason: simplify
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1352 of 1378 Old 06-22-2014, 05:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 50
It's not a fair fight when comparing speakers who's price points are vastly different but when you love music and can afford the upgrade, it's so worth it. Aerials can not be considered budget priced speakers but can go toe to toe with some others I have heard that are far more expensive. Great value to be sure. I recently bought a Sony HAP-Z1 ES to use as my main music server. It is very easy to set up, has a great iOS/Android interface and sounds very good. It can also stream Internet radio stations but not Spotify etc. I use a Roku for that.
clpetersen likes this.
post #1353 of 1378 Old 06-25-2014, 01:19 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
amplification for 7t

I'm considering a new amp, and it'll have to last me for years, probably the life of my 7t's. I was looking at the Bryston 4B SST2, Krell 2250e, and Mark Levinson 532H. Ultimately, I'd like a 3ch and 2ch version for HT, thus the choices of these amps and exclusions of others (I can't do a 22" deep amp in my system).

I've read tons about matching amps to components so they compliment each other for synergy. I've also read the Aerial's are easy to drive. That seems to be the case as my little Rotel 1560 receiver handles them just fine.

Since i can't test all these, much less test them at home, I'd have to Audiogon something if I was unhappy. So I'm trying to get some feedback ahead of time.

What amplification have you heard or are you using with 7t's and what was your impression? I know everyone has different tastes. I'm usually able to read/hear what others like and determine if I'm similar or opposite.

Thanks for any input you can offer!
post #1354 of 1378 Old 06-25-2014, 03:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grit View Post
I'm considering a new amp, and it'll have to last me for years, probably the life of my 7t's. I was looking at the Bryston 4B SST2, Krell 2250e, and Mark Levinson 532H. Ultimately, I'd like a 3ch and 2ch version for HT, thus the choices of these amps and exclusions of others (I can't do a 22" deep amp in my system).

I've read tons about matching amps to components so they compliment each other for synergy. I've also read the Aerial's are easy to drive. That seems to be the case as my little Rotel 1560 receiver handles them just fine.

Since i can't test all these, much less test them at home, I'd have to Audiogon something if I was unhappy. So I'm trying to get some feedback ahead of time.

What amplification have you heard or are you using with 7t's and what was your impression? I know everyone has different tastes. I'm usually able to read/hear what others like and determine if I'm similar or opposite.

Thanks for any input you can offer!
I have never heard the ones you listed but they all have very good reputations. I'm using a Mcintosh MC252 for mt 7t's which I had before I bought them. I'm very happy with the combination. Pass labs would also be something to consider.
post #1355 of 1378 Old 06-25-2014, 08:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
I have never heard the ones you listed but they all have very good reputations. I'm using a Mcintosh MC252 for mt 7t's which I had before I bought them. I'm very happy with the combination. Pass labs would also be something to consider.
May also want to consider the Classe 3200 3 channel amp.
post #1356 of 1378 Old 06-26-2014, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Class A View Post
May also want to consider the Classe 3200 3 channel amp.
Is the 3200 still manufactured? I looked at the 5300, but it's 22.5" long, and my cabinet is 19.5" deep. The back is open, but that's a lot of overhang, and I'm not sure the back feet would be on the shelf.
post #1357 of 1378 Old 06-26-2014, 04:49 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am using an Anthem A5 with the 7t's and find it to work very well, I already had the A5 driving a pair of Monitor Audio GR60's and it has no trouble during the 7t's, I do need to upgrade my wire at some point.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
post #1358 of 1378 Old 06-26-2014, 09:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Is the 3200 still manufactured? I looked at the 5300, but it's 22.5" long, and my cabinet is 19.5" deep. The back is open, but that's a lot of overhang, and I'm not sure the back feet would be on the shelf.
Did not realize it was discontinued. Also considering the size of the rack the Bryston 6B SST2 might be a better fit. Plenty of power for the 7T's and probably a good match for the new center that is coming out soon.
post #1359 of 1378 Old 06-28-2014, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Did not realize it was discontinued. Also considering the size of the rack the Bryston 6B SST2 might be a better fit. Plenty of power for the 7T's and probably a good match for the new center that is coming out soon.
That's what I'm aiming for and toying with. I can't decide if I'm best off getting a 2ch and a 3ch, or a 2ch and a 5ch. A 5ch would help because I could use the two extra channels to power my patio speakers (Paradigms), but would the remaining channel be sufficient for the center? And of course, the 3ch option will require me to add a 3rd amp to power the patio speakers. Decisions decisions...
post #1360 of 1378 Old 06-28-2014, 03:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
That's what I'm aiming for and toying with. I can't decide if I'm best off getting a 2ch and a 3ch, or a 2ch and a 5ch. A 5ch would help because I could use the two extra channels to power my patio speakers (Paradigms), but would the remaining channel be sufficient for the center? And of course, the 3ch option will require me to add a 3rd amp to power the patio speakers. Decisions decisions...
I'm the last person to talk about too many amps. I use four. Two modified Threshold T-50's that run at 100 wpc in class a. A Forte 4A a 50 wpc that powers the center and a Forte 6 200 wpc A/B amp that runs my rear Aerial 5's. Runs pretty hot. But it makes Lawrence of Arabia realistic.
post #1361 of 1378 Old 06-28-2014, 05:46 PM
AVS Special Member

I have three different amps myself. A two channel for l/r, a five channel for cc, side/rear and a four channel for high/wide. You could get a good quality five channel amp for the ht and a decent two channel amp for the patio speakers.
post #1362 of 1378 Old 06-29-2014, 05:22 PM
AVS Special Member

I may get flamed for this but here goes. This week I picked up my Audioquest jumper cables. The big surprise was I got a free upgrade to the Silver version as they were out of the copper jumpers. Did they improve the sound?? For me, a definite yes. It was like they lifted a veil over the entire soundscape. Cleaner highs and improved soundstage. This is my experience. If you have a dealer near you most likely they will loan you a pair of jumpers. I would be curious on how they perform in your system. But for me they made a definite sonic improvement. I am going to talk to my dealer on maybe getting jumpers for my CC-3 center.
post #1363 of 1378 Old 06-29-2014, 05:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitl View Post
I am using an Anthem A5 with the 7t's and find it to work very well, I already had the A5 driving a pair of Monitor Audio GR60's and it has no trouble during the 7t's, I do need to upgrade my wire at some point.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
When I owned Thiel 2.3 speakers I had the Anthem A5. A terrific amp. In my opinion Anthem doesn't get enough credit for their amps. Plenty of power at a reasonable price.
post #1364 of 1378 Old 06-29-2014, 05:37 PM

Liked: 17
Quote:
I may get flamed for this but here goes. This week I picked up my Audioquest jumper cables. The big surprise was I got a free upgrade to the Silver version as they were out of the copper jumpers. Did they improve the sound?? For me, a definite yes. It was like they lifted a veil over the entire soundscape. Cleaner highs and improved soundstage. This is my experience. If you have a dealer near you most likely they will loan you a pair of jumpers. I would be curious on how they perform in your system. But for me they made a definite sonic improvement. I am going to talk to my dealer on maybe getting jumpers for my CC-3 center.
See my post #1341 ...your comments are almost exactly the same as what I posted.
post #1365 of 1378 Old 06-30-2014, 08:07 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
When I owned Thiel 2.3 speakers I had the Anthem A5. A terrific amp. In my opinion Anthem doesn't get enough credit for their amps. Plenty of power at a reasonable price.
When I purchased the Aerial 6T's recently, Anthem was one of the recommended drivers. We are partial to integrated amps due to simplicity and size constraints. Currently use a Copland Integrated, very nice, but likely a little underpowered.

For patio speakers (no idea how big yours are), have you considered a Dayton Audio Class T? 60 wpc, about $100.00, very small although it has a hefty 24V external power supply. Using that for outdoor (Klipsch) speakers. Surprisingly good; check the user feedback. Anyone can plug in their smart-phone into the front 3.5mm stereo jack; useful for outdoor events.

Last edited by clpetersen; 06-30-2014 at 12:04 PM. Reason: clarity
post #1366 of 1378 Old 07-01-2014, 03:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I have three different amps myself. A two channel for l/r, a five channel for cc, side/rear and a four channel for high/wide. You could get a good quality five channel amp for the ht and a decent two channel amp for the patio speakers.
You may want to look at a Niles Multi room speaker selector. I helped my cousin set up four rooms w/Paradigm ceiling speakers and a patio w/a set of speakers. Each room also had a volume control on the wall. All this is connected to his AVR. He just needs to go to multi-room on his AVR to get the sound in all rooms. The Niles at the time cost just $225. No need for an extra amp.
post #1367 of 1378 Old 07-01-2014, 04:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricjor1 View Post
See my post #1341 ...your comments are almost exactly the same as what I posted.
A real mirror image of your experience. I came in w/modest expectations and was very surprised by the outstanding results. Everything just popped into focus.
post #1368 of 1378 Old 07-04-2014, 03:39 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricjor1 View Post
I replaced the plates with Silver Audio Silver Shot jumpers cables today that match my speaker cables. I don't want to exaggerate, but everything has improved. No, not a night and day difference, but significant enough that it is easily heard. More space between instruments, slightly clearer mids and more defined bass. Considering the small amount I spent, this is one of the best things I have ever done!
I was using the factory plates on my 8's and went with a bi-wire arrangement recently. What a difference! The woofers love having their own pair of conductors and have really tightened up with well defined bass notes vs. low frequency rumbles. The mid frequencies really fill the space with clear notes, well supported by the responsive bass. I am so happy I bi-wired these speakers.
Class A likes this.

Michael
Sherbourn/Emotiva/SimAudio/Aerial Acoustics/Panamax

Last edited by Yamaki; 07-04-2014 at 03:44 PM.
post #1369 of 1378 Old 07-04-2014, 05:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamaki View Post
I was using the factory plates on my 8's and went with a bi-wire arrangement recently. What a difference! The woofers love having their own pair of conductors and have really tightened up with well defined bass notes vs. low frequency rumbles. The mid frequencies really fill the space with clear notes, well supported by the responsive bass. I am so happy I bi-wired these speakers.
Nice to see a growing consensus for tossing the brass plates. Confirms I wasn't just hearing things.
post #1370 of 1378 Old 07-08-2014, 05:37 PM
Advanced Member

How to tell Aerial CC3B Vs. CC3?

Hello,

Just bought three used Aerial CC3s,

I noticed on photos of the back of another Aerial CC3B the name tag showed CCB and not CC3B.

How does one tell the difference?

Thanks.
post #1371 of 1378 Old 07-08-2014, 05:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
I'm interested in the Focal Electra 1000 be2 and am being asked to try the Aerial 7T before making a final decision. Has anyone compared these two speakers? Any comments would be appreciated.
post #1372 of 1378 Old 07-08-2014, 06:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaNile View Post
I'm interested in the Focal Electra 1000 be2 and am being asked to try the Aerial 7T before making a final decision. Has anyone compared these two speakers? Any comments would be appreciated.
Nothing wrong w/giving the Aerials a listen. When your spending that much money give yourself as many options as possible. Whhat I can tell you about the 7T's they are easy to place and they have a very coherent sound. Also you don't need big power to run them. One thing just about any Aerial owner will tell you listener fatigue is non-factor. Long listening sessions are common. Good luck in your search and give some feedback on your final decision.
post #1373 of 1378 Old 07-08-2014, 06:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I have never heard that particular Focal model but have heard some others, very impressive. As a 7t owner, I would encourage anyone buying speakers in that price range to listen to them.

post #1374 of 1378 Old 07-09-2014, 06:32 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pipelion View Post
How to tell Aerial CC3B Vs. CC3?

Hello,

Just bought three used Aerial CC3s,

I noticed on photos of the back of another Aerial CC3B the name tag showed CCB and not CC3B.

How does one tell the difference?

Thanks.

I believe the difference is in the tweeter that is used. You may need to call Aerial and trace the serial numbers to see just which models you have.

Are you planning to use the CC3's for your front three channels? That should work wonderfully (If they are all in-fact the same version).

David Lynch
post #1375 of 1378 Old 07-09-2014, 07:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdlynch View Post
I believe the difference is in the tweeter that is used. You may need to call Aerial and trace the serial numbers to see just which models you have.

Are you planning to use the CC3's for your front three channels? That should work wonderfully (If they are all in-fact the same version).

No Dave, I want to try 2, or 3 for my centers. I use two AR18bs now and they work well. My screen is 12 foot wide and needs a big center. He, he

Yes I'm crazy.

Thanks for the info, I'll call aerial when they get here on Friday.
post #1376 of 1378 Old Yesterday, 08:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Question for you guys. I am between the Focal 1038 and the Aerial 7T speakers. Once that decision is made I'd like to add pieces to the system slowly and hopefully can avoid buying speakers, DVD/CD player, pre amp and amp...or integrated all at once.

I have a few unused amps right now. Could I use one of these amps to power the speakers, lets say the Aerial 7T, till I really decide on power....Crest CC4000, iNuke6000dsp or an Emotiva XPA-5?

Thanks.
post #1377 of 1378 Old Yesterday, 09:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Smile

Quote:
Question for you guys. I am between the Focal 1038 and the Aerial 7T speakers. Once that decision is made I'd like to add pieces to the system slowly and hopefully can avoid buying speakers, DVD/CD player, pre amp and amp...or integrated all at once.

I have a few unused amps right now. Could I use one of these amps to power the speakers, lets say the Aerial 7T, till I really decide on power....Crest CC4000, iNuke6000dsp or an Emotiva XPA-5?

Thanks.
When Michael Kelly first introduced the 7T at the Rocky Mountain Audio Show a few years ago he wanted to show how easy it was to dive the speaker. He demoed the 7T w/a 80wpc Peachtree integrated. He got excellent results. I have never had any experience w/Emotiva equipment but it seems to have enough power spec wise. Good luck w/your choice.
post #1378 of 1378 Old Today, 02:37 AM

I'm running mine off a Rotel 1560 receiver! Built-in amps. And I still think they sound great. The 7b's used to sound like you had to squeeze or force music through if your amp wasn't powerful enough. With the 7t's, you can enjoy them with almost any amplification. I've had a much nicer amp in my system too, and you really can tell a difference! But no complaints as is!

I think anything will allow you to enjoy them, and at a later date, you'll get to enjoy them even more with a better amp.
Reply Speakers

Tags
Energy Cc 5 Center Channel Speaker Black

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page