Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Yup. Nice
post #1444 of 1515 Old 08-21-2014, 11:44 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Anyone has any lr 3's lr5's for sale ? Or model 5b's ? If you do shoot me a message with your best price?
post #1445 of 1515 Old 08-22-2014, 08:11 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
So I've been playing with placement, which basically means when it's my 'work week', they stay tucked back closer to the wall, and on my off days when I can play, I pull them out. Since today was my Monday, and therefore they're in the WAF position, I put the spikes/plates on them, and got a whole new level of wow! The front baffles are 28" from the wall behind, and the center of the front baffle is 33" from each side wall, about 90" apart. The 'stage' just snapped into focus, each instrument in it's place, horizontally and vertically...I might be late for work tomorrow, I can't stop listening!!
post #1446 of 1515 Old 08-23-2014, 12:02 AM
AVS Special Member

I am going to have to take the 6s out to the food sounding room and give them a listen. My biggest concern is the amount of time it takes to get them just right
post #1447 of 1515 Old 08-23-2014, 12:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Thats GOOD sounding room
post #1448 of 1515 Old 08-23-2014, 10:45 AM

That's what's blowing me away, they are where my wife wants them(or close , hehe), and they STILL blow me away!! And I don't have $$thousands in electronics either, nor do I have any treatments
post #1449 of 1515 Old 08-23-2014, 04:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by english210 View Post
That's what's blowing me away, they are where my wife wants them(or close , hehe), and they STILL blow me away!! And I don't have $$thousands in electronics either, nor do I have any treatments
The 7T's don't need a lot of power. When Michael Kelly first demoed the 7's at the Colorado Audio Fest he used an 80wpc Peachtree Audio Integrated. In fact he liked the combo so much he bought the Peachtree. Enjoy the music you've got a great pair of speakers.
post #1450 of 1515 Old 08-23-2014, 04:40 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Class A View Post
The 7T's don't need a lot of power. When Michael Kelly first demoed the 7's at the Colorado Audio Fest he used an 80wpc Peachtree Audio Integrated. In fact he liked the combo so much he bought the Peachtree. Enjoy the music you've got a great pair of speakers.
I currently drive my 7Ts with a Peachtree 220se. It sounds good, but I was told I'm only getting 80% of the 7Ts capability! I'm just not ready to spend an additional 5-10K to go to the next level.
post #1451 of 1515 Old 08-25-2014, 03:17 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 20
"The 7T's don't need a lot of power. When Michael Kelly first demoed the 7's at the Colorado Audio Fest he used an 80wpc Peachtree Audio Integrated. In fact he liked the combo so much he bought the Peachtree. Enjoy the music you've got a great pair of speakers."
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricjor1 View Post
I currently drive my 7Ts with a Peachtree 220se. It sounds good, but I was told I'm only getting 80% of the 7Ts capability! I'm just not ready to spend an additional 5-10K to go to the next level.
I am looking at the same issue. I have recently purchased the 6T's . Very happy with them.
According to Michael Kelly they have a sensitivity of 90 dB and an impedance of basically 4 ohms.

Currently I am using a recently acquired Oppo HA-1 DAC/headphone amp/pre-amp (highly recommended so far - just read the user comments out there) using JRiver/MacBook and Sonos as digital inputs and am trying various amps:

1) Naim NAP 100. Small form factor linear amp, actually intended for a different room. But this little guy puts out 75 watts into 4 ohms and these speakers rock. It will struggle at max volume, but this is an unrealistic listening volume in any event. Very pleasantly surprised as were several reviewers. Reviews need to be taken with caution as always.

2) Copland CSA-8. My old integrated. I think the Naim does just as well at 1/4 the shelf volume.

3) Just demo'ed: Gato model 150 integrated amp. Danish high end, 250 watts into 4 ohms, very interesting visual design. Aerial Acoustics is the US distributor for Gato. Perhaps better matched to the 7T's; I think a little much for the 6T's. But very cool to look at and easily powered the speakers to symphony levels at less than 1/2 volume.

4) on the list, soon to be demo'ed: Simaudio Neo 330a. This could be a great match with the Oppo. Plenty of power, more than enough actually - 250W into 4 ohms, but the Neo 330a is a fully balanced design as is the Oppo, so could have a balanced design throughout, which has appeal. Below the Gato and above the Naim in cost. Fairly small - only 3.5" tall and runs cool. Based on what I saw, think this amp will be working just fine after I stop.

5) potential : Linn amp, model 2200. Combo of a switch-mode power supply and linear amp section. About 1/2 the weight of the Simaudio and Gato. Between the Naim and Simaudio in price.

6) Maybe - Something from Anthem.

I am sure there are many others, but these are local to me and easily demo'ed and the dealers I work with are very good and will (deservedly) get the business.

Last edited by clpetersen; 08-25-2014 at 03:20 PM. Reason: clarity
post #1452 of 1515 Old 08-25-2014, 05:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by clpetersen View Post
"The 7T's don't need a lot of power. When Michael Kelly first demoed the 7's at the Colorado Audio Fest he used an 80wpc Peachtree Audio Integrated. In fact he liked the combo so much he bought the Peachtree. Enjoy the music you've got a great pair of speakers."

I am looking at the same issue. I have recently purchased the 6T's . Very happy with them.
According to Michael Kelly they have a sensitivity of 90 dB and an impedance of basically 4 ohms.

Currently I am using a recently acquired Oppo HA-1 DAC/headphone amp/pre-amp (highly recommended so far - just read the user comments out there) using JRiver/MacBook and Sonos as digital inputs and am trying various amps:

1) Naim NAP 100. Small form factor linear amp, actually intended for a different room. But this little guy puts out 75 watts into 4 ohms and these speakers rock. It will struggle at max volume, but this is an unrealistic listening volume in any event. Very pleasantly surprised as were several reviewers. Reviews need to be taken with caution as always.

2) Copland CSA-8. My old integrated. I think the Naim does just as well at 1/4 the shelf volume.

3) Just demo'ed: Gato model 150 integrated amp. Danish high end, 250 watts into 4 ohms, very interesting visual design. Aerial Acoustics is the US distributor for Gato. Perhaps better matched to the 7T's; I think a little much for the 6T's. But very cool to look at and easily powered the speakers to symphony levels at less than 1/2 volume.

4) on the list, soon to be demo'ed: Simaudio Neo 330a. This could be a great match with the Oppo. Plenty of power, more than enough actually - 250W into 4 ohms, but the Neo 330a is a fully balanced design as is the Oppo, so could have a balanced design throughout, which has appeal. Below the Gato and above the Naim in cost. Fairly small - only 3.5" tall and runs cool. Based on what I saw, think this amp will be working just fine after I stop.

5) potential : Linn amp, model 2200. Combo of a switch-mode power supply and linear amp section. About 1/2 the weight of the Simaudio and Gato. Between the Naim and Simaudio in price.

6) Maybe - Something from Anthem.

I am sure there are many others, but these are local to me and easily demo'ed and the dealers I work with are very good and will (deservedly) get the business.
Don't you know all amps sound the same?
clpetersen likes this.

post #1453 of 1515 Old 08-25-2014, 06:20 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I am using the Anthem A5 which is rated at 5 x225 with the 7t's and it certainly has no trouble driving them, was using the Oppo 95 for music files but just recently added the Sony HAP-Zies and the 7t's have never sounded better.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
g_bartman likes this.
post #1454 of 1515 Old 08-26-2014, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by g_bartman View Post
Don't you know all amps sound the same?
Actually, yes . My comments were on form factor, upper end power, and aesthetics. Our system is not in a traditional cabinet, so aesthetics count.

So the little Naim is doing just fine. Small and discreet, runs very cool, and very reasonable $$. I have purchased this unit as it can easily be used in several spots, but right now it is powering the 6T's.

For aesthetics, the Gato 150 is very cool, if you like Scandinavian styling. But pricey in our lineup..

I do think Oppo has created a winner and I think combining the DAC/preamp is a smart way to go.

I noticed a number of people recommending Peachtree. Are they still viable as a company?

Last edited by clpetersen; 08-26-2014 at 06:38 AM. Reason: simplification
post #1455 of 1515 Old 08-26-2014, 07:58 AM

Amps for Aerials

One last comment on the amps - one spec I do pay attention is the power delivered into various loads. A good amp with a good power supply (transformer and caps or a good switch-mode design) should double power as the load resistance is halved (e.g. 100W into 8 ohms, 200W into 4 ohms, 400 into 2).
This just means that the amp is behaving like a good voltage source.

So the Naim does not quite keep up (50W in 8 ohms; 75W into 4 ohms) but the Simaudio does (125/250). An inexpensive design (look at some Onkyo specs) actually deliver less power into 4 ohms than they do into 8 ohms.
post #1456 of 1515 Old 08-26-2014, 01:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 469 Post(s)
Liked: 264
Quote:
One last comment on the amps - one spec I do pay attention is the power delivered into various loads. A good amp with a good power supply (transformer and caps or a good switch-mode design) should double power as the load resistance is halved (e.g. 100W into 8 ohms, 200W into 4 ohms, 400 into 2).
This just means that the amp is behaving like a good voltage source.
Controlling the speaker cone (a low source impedance) is independent of the power supply capability, and of the games amp makers may play regarding spec'ing the 8 ohm vs 4 ohm output. If Naim specified the 8 ohm power at 37 W, then it would "double" when connected to 4 ohms.

As long as an amp has decent damping factor and sufficient power (reaches desired loudness without distorting on peaks into the speaker's actual load), these power ratios mean nothing wrt sound quality. Would you not agree?

Roger

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #1457 of 1515 Old 08-26-2014, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Dressler View Post
Controlling the speaker cone (a low source impedance) is independent of the power supply capability, and of the games amp makers may play regarding spec'ing the 8 ohm vs 4 ohm output. If Naim specified the 8 ohm power at 37 W, then it would "double" when connected to 4 ohms.

As long as an amp has decent damping factor and sufficient power (reaches desired loudness without distorting on peaks into the speaker's actual load), these power ratios mean nothing wrt sound quality. Would you not agree?
I do agree. It is a question of 'loud enough' on peaks as you say. There are a lot of games amp and speaker makers can play; good article on audioholics re: sensitivity (http://www.audioholics.com/loudspeak...er-sensitivity).

On topic: the Naim is doing just fine at our listening levels. Re: damping factor, it does have a somewhat high series output resistance (0.22 ohm) compared to many other solid state designs, but I don't think this is material. It does imply at a 4 ohm speaker load about 6% of the power is consumed by the output stage. Not a big deal at these powers.

Still, we paid extra for high output engines in our cars because, just occasionally, it is great fun to stomp on the accelerator...
post #1458 of 1515 Old 08-26-2014, 05:07 PM

I'm using an Odyssey Stratos amp, which sent my previous speakers to a whole new level of performance, and an Oppo 103. There will need to be an investment in music/Storage/streaming next, but I need to learn about that first, and replenish the coffers.
I get all the volume I could ask for, and can't imagine needing more....of course, I didn't foresee the difference the amp would make either, or the difference it would make when I put the spikes in place, so....
post #1459 of 1515 Old 08-26-2014, 05:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 469 Post(s)
Liked: 264
Quote:
On topic: the Naim is doing just fine at our listening levels. Re: damping factor, it does have a somewhat high series output resistance (0.22 ohm) compared to many other solid state designs, but I don't think this is material.
Agreed.

Quote:
It does imply at a 4 ohm speaker load about 6% of the power is consumed by the output stage. Not a big deal at these powers.
The output impedance of the amplifier scarcely affects the heat dissipated in the output stage. Even if the equivalent source resistance were zero it would get just as hot to the touch.
clpetersen likes this.

Roger

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #1460 of 1515 Old 08-26-2014, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by english210 View Post
I'm using an Odyssey Stratos amp, which sent my previous speakers to a whole new level of performance, and an Oppo 103. There will need to be an investment in music/Storage/streaming next, but I need to learn about that first, and replenish the coffers.
I get all the volume I could ask for, and can't imagine needing more....of course, I didn't foresee the difference the amp would make either, or the difference it would make when I put the spikes in place, so....
Thanks english210 for the comments re: the Odyssey Stratus amp. Will look into it.
Regarding music storage and streaming, AVS forums is the right place.
It is a firehose of information and opinions, so take some time.
post #1461 of 1515 Old 08-27-2014, 05:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Thanks english210 for the comments re: the Odyssey Stratus amp. Will look into it.
Regarding music storage and streaming, AVS forums is the right place.
It is a firehose of information and opinions, so take some time.
Excellent company to deal with. All Amps are made in the USA. They will custom bias your amp according to your system. All his amps are 2ohm stable. Also they have a 20 year warranty on all parts. Prices are fair and customer service is excellent. From what I remember Magico used some of his amps to test their speakers. Klaus Bunge will ask you plenty of questions on your setup and room so be prepared. I've known a few people in the past that have used his products and to my ears they were excellent products. Worth an inquiry.
post #1462 of 1515 Old 08-27-2014, 06:15 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 17
The 7Ts are so good that I think they deserve better amps than some recommended here. I think you also can get excellent results with less expensive gear than what I have in mind, but have heard 7Ts with the new Theta Prometheus monoblocs and that was amazing. Have also heard some have had great results with McIntosh an VTL power amps. I don´t think 7Ts are a difficult match, just that they should get amps that have a lot of headroom, dynamics and resolution to show their potential.

I saw this guy who wrote in Home Theater Magazine that has replaced his Magico Q3s with Aerial 7T because he found the 7Ts to be better. That is quite a compliment when you think of the price tag of the Magicos...
post #1463 of 1515 Old 08-28-2014, 02:30 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armand07 View Post
The 7Ts are so good that I think they deserve better amps than some recommended here. I think you also can get excellent results with less expensive gear than what I have in mind, but have heard 7Ts with the new Theta Prometheus monoblocs and that was amazing. Have also heard some have had great results with McIntosh an VTL power amps. I don´t think 7Ts are a difficult match, just that they should get amps that have a lot of headroom, dynamics and resolution to show their potential.

I saw this guy who wrote in Home Theater Magazine that has replaced his Magico Q3s with Aerial 7T because he found the 7Ts to be better. That is quite a compliment when you think of the price tag of the Magicos...
I went from Wilson Audio Sashas to Aerial 7Ts. I wouldn't say anything is better, because this hobby is subjective. I will say, I enjoy the 7Ts more, but someone else may prefer Wilson's.

I agree that 7Ts deserve better, but how much does one need to pay for them to truly shoe their potential.
jdlynch likes this.
post #1464 of 1515 Old 08-28-2014, 03:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricjor1 View Post
I went from Wilson Audio Sashas to Aerial 7Ts. I wouldn't say anything is better, because this hobby is subjective. I will say, I enjoy the 7Ts more, but someone else may prefer Wilson's.

I agree that 7Ts deserve better, but how much does one need to pay for them to truly shoe their potential.
I saw and heard a Mcintosh amp when I was a kid, about 40 years ago. It was my first exposure to high end equipment. I thought it would be great to get one some day. I bought a used Mc252 about 5 years ago. I think the Mac/Aerial combo is amazing. Only you can decide how much you are comfortable spending on audio equipment. If a Peachtree is putting a smile on your face, that's all that matters. (Btw that Mac still works)

post #1465 of 1515 Old 08-30-2014, 07:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Anyone have the model 9? I was interested in upgrading from my Onix Rocket 1000. Used solely for movies no music in a closed dedicated 19x14x8 room. Current amp is a Cinepro 375w/ch, but will likely replace with Wryed4Sound 500w/ch. Any thoughts? My other consideration is a used Revel Ultima Salon2.
post #1466 of 1515 Old 08-31-2014, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlanzy View Post
Anyone have the model 9? I was interested in upgrading from my Onix Rocket 1000. Used solely for movies no music in a closed dedicated 19x14x8 room. Current amp is a Cinepro 375w/ch, but will likely replace with Wryed4Sound 500w/ch. Any thoughts? My other consideration is a used Revel Ultima Salon2.
I believe Aerial may be working on a 9T (?). Or is that a conjecture from this thread? In which case I am amplifying an echo.
post #1467 of 1515 Old 08-31-2014, 03:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I believe Aerial may be working on a 9T (?). Or is that a conjecture from this thread? In which case I am amplifying an echo.

Yeah, I came across that also, but can't recall where though, but just found it unusual there are so few 9 owners in discussions here or on other forums. I know these are far from modest cost speakers, but again, anyone purchasing Aerial speakers is looking for a higher end speaker which is often more costly.
post #1468 of 1515 Old 08-31-2014, 06:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Smile

[QUOTE=clpetersen;27029857]I believe Aerial may be working on a 9T (?). Or is that a conjecture from this thread? In which case I am amplifying an echo.[/QU Both the 9 and the 5b are history. The new 5 will be coming out after the completion of the new center which is due soon. The 5T will run about $2999 w/the same cabinet design as the 6t & 7t. The new 9 is down the road and estimated price will run about $16,000. If you look around the used 9's are available for around $4000. My only concern is the size of your room. The 9's need plenty of room to control the bass. However you do have plenty of power. Great speakers in the right room.
post #1469 of 1515 Old 08-31-2014, 07:09 PM
Advanced Member

[QU Both the 9 and the 5b are history. ...... My only concern is the size of your room. The 9's need plenty of room to control the bass. However you do have plenty of power. Great speakers in the right room.[/QUOTE]

I was equating the Rocket 1000 , in output terms to the 9s, with its 4x 5.25" woofers, and an 8" 200w powered woofer( not a subwoofer) as well as a 4 inch mid range driver. Which is the reason my other choice is a Revel Ultima2 Salon, I like my movies to have sound that is authoritative, not necessarily loud. I have an 18" 2400w sub and a 15" 1000w sub both sealed to handle down low. Keeping control of volume with this class/size of speaker in a small to mid room, at least in my thinking, provides that effect. Does that make any sense or am I way off course?
post #1470 of 1515 Old 09-01-2014, 05:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlanzy View Post
[QU Both the 9 and the 5b are history. ...... My only concern is the size of your room. The 9's need plenty of room to control the bass. However you do have plenty of power. Great speakers in the right room.

I was equating the Rocket 1000 , in output terms to the 9s, with its 4x 5.25" woofers, and an 8" 200w powered woofer( not a subwoofer) as well as a 4 inch mid range driver. Which is the reason my other choice is a Revel Ultima2 Salon, I like my movies to have sound that is authoritative, not necessarily loud. I have an 18" 2400w sub and a 15" 1000w sub both sealed to handle down low. Keeping control of volume with this class/size of speaker in a small to mid room, at least in my thinking, provides that effect. Does that make any sense or am I way off course?[/QUOTE]I have never heard the Rocket speakers, so honestly I can't make a comparison. But The 9's will give you all you need in authoritative sound. The same will go for the Revels. The choice will be what sound you prefer. Aerials in my opinion have a very low listener fatigue factor. I would say most Aerial users would attest to that. Add a CC-5 center between those 9's and you'll have a combo that's hard to beat.
Reply Speakers

Tags
Energy Cc 5 Center Channel Speaker Black

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page