Aerial Acoustics Owners Thread - Page 51 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 8Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1501 of 1515 Old 09-11-2014, 05:52 AM
Senior Member
 
Armand07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Norway
Posts: 468
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wookii View Post
What are you using as surrounds?
?
4x Aerial SR3´s. Have had them several years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wookii View Post
Also,purely out of interest, what are the shiny boxes on the floor to the outside of each 20T - are they Theta Prometheus monoblocs powering the 20T's?
You´re absolutely right. There is also a 3rd Prometheus behind the center speaker.

ps. I saw your other comments about listening to the 20Ts. Since you are in UK you are welcome for a visit, just a short flight trip
Armand07 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1502 of 1515 Old 09-11-2014, 05:59 AM
Senior Member
 
Wookii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 256
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armand07 View Post
I have heard both LR5s and model 9 and would pick LR5´s with SW12s over Model 9 any day. Even alone the LR5´s are considered by many to be better than model 9 in some areas, and with cc5 you have a perfect match.
Exactly why I went for the LR5's and CC5 in my HT
Wookii is offline  
post #1503 of 1515 Old 09-11-2014, 06:06 AM
Senior Member
 
Wookii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 256
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armand07 View Post
4x Aerial SR3´s. Have had them several years.


You´re absolutely right. There is also a 3rd Prometheus behind the center speaker.

ps. I saw your other comments about listening to the 20Ts. Since you are in UK you are welcome for a visit, just a short flight trip
Thanks for the offer - if I ever get the chance to pop over to Norway, I'll let you know!

How are you finding the Prometheus mono's? I have heard the Hypex NC1200's in a different amplifier and was very impressed by what I heard with them powering my Salon 2's - in the end I slightly preferred the air and extension my Levinson amp provided, but the amps I demoed did have the stock Hypex SMPS in, rather than the massive linear supply that Theta have added to it, so I should imagine the Prometheus are very good indeed.
Wookii is offline  
post #1504 of 1515 Old 09-11-2014, 06:23 AM
Senior Member
 
Armand07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Norway
Posts: 468
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wookii View Post
How are you finding the Prometheus mono's? I have heard the Hypex NC1200's in a different amplifier and was very impressed by what I heard with them powering my Salon 2's - in the end I slightly preferred the air and extension my Levinson amp provided, but the amps I demoed did have the stock Hypex SMPS in, rather than the massive linear supply that Theta have added to it, so I should imagine the Prometheus are very good indeed.
I like to compare Theta Prometheus amps with Tesla cars! Lightning fast, refined and far ahead of the competition. Best amps I have heard to date, regardless of price. Enough said
Armand07 is online now  
post #1505 of 1515 Old 09-11-2014, 07:28 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Class A's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,300
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wookii View Post
Agreed, the current line up has been out for a very long time - relatively speaking that is.

That said, I do find it strange that they discontinue items long before the replacement is available to take their place. Look at the SR3's - discontinued last year, and no sign of a replacement Aerial surround speaker. Same with the 9's - why discontinue them until the new model is ready for release?! Surely it makes better business sense to at least have something to offer at each level, than have gaps of time where nothing is available.
Apparently he was losing money on the 9's also he no longer deals w/the cabinet maker from Denmark. Cost increases were getting higher. I know certain people have tried to encourage him to develop in wall rears but he has not been keen on the idea. Personally I think a lot of customers would welcome an Aerial in wall speaker for rear sound. That would also cut down on the cost of cabinet making.
Class A is online now  
post #1506 of 1515 Old 09-11-2014, 07:40 AM
Senior Member
 
Wookii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 256
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Class A View Post
Apparently he was losing money on the 9's also he no longer deals w/the cabinet maker from Denmark. Cost increases were getting higher. I know certain people have tried to encourage him to develop in wall rears but he has not been keen on the idea. Personally I think a lot of customers would welcome an Aerial in wall speaker for rear sound. That would also cut down on the cost of cabinet making.
Agreed, or at least just some sort of surround speaker, the 5B's are a difficult option for wall mounting at 275mm deep - though admittedly I am using mine as rear heights channels - which makes putting together an Aerial surround system tricky in all but the largest rooms.

The last I heard from Michael was that he was working on an in wall (I think) option with a movable/directable tweeter, but I have not heard any more on it.
Wookii is offline  
post #1507 of 1515 Old 09-11-2014, 03:01 PM
Advanced Member
 
jdlynch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Floyds Knobs, Indiana
Posts: 652
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armand07 View Post
If you are mostly into home theater you of course have the choice of LR5´s, CC5 and a couple of SW12s which is a tremendous combination. If I had my system mostly geared towards home theater that would be on top of my list. I mean also with music, unless you are stretching for 20Ts, the LR5´s are truely great. I have heard both LR5s and model 9 and would pick LR5´s with SW12s over Model 9 any day. Even alone the LR5´s are considered by many to be better than model 9 in some areas, and with cc5 you have a perfect match.

We are in full agreement here. I am totally content with my LR5's, and, feel like I have finally found the "holy grail". I can't see myself ever feeling the need to upgrade.


At this time I need to upgrade my amplification. I am just waiting for a good price (that I can afford) on a well regarded pre-owned unit(s).

David Lynch Current Equipment: Marantz AV8801, Proceed HPA3, Parasound HCA-1206, Aerial Acoustics LR5's (LCR), Aerial Acoustics LR3's (sides), RBH in-walls (rears), Seaton Submersive, Marantz VP15s1, 106" Carada BW screen, Oppo BDP-103.
jdlynch is offline  
post #1508 of 1515 Old 09-11-2014, 04:23 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Class A's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,300
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdlynch View Post
We are in full agreement here. I am totally content with my LR5's, and, feel like I have finally found the "holy grail". I can't see myself ever feeling the need to upgrade.


At this time I need to upgrade my amplification. I am just waiting for a good price (that I can afford) on a well regarded pre-owned unit(s).
Check out the new NAD master series amps. The 2 channel amp will give you up to 600wpc at 2ohms.
Class A is online now  
post #1509 of 1515 Old 09-12-2014, 04:15 PM
Advanced Member
 
jdlynch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Floyds Knobs, Indiana
Posts: 652
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Class A View Post
Check out the new NAD master series amps. The 2 channel amp will give you up to 600wpc at 2ohms.

Thanks Class A.


I've always liked NAD equipment, and, their Masters Series amplifiers are definitely an option.


However, I'm confused by their specs. The 600wpc you mentioned is called "dynamic power". Their actual minimum rating is only a constant 250 watts/channel with any speaker load (4 ohm or 8 ohm).


I wonder what they mean by dynamic power? Would you feel comfortable that this would drive my LR5's ?

David Lynch Current Equipment: Marantz AV8801, Proceed HPA3, Parasound HCA-1206, Aerial Acoustics LR5's (LCR), Aerial Acoustics LR3's (sides), RBH in-walls (rears), Seaton Submersive, Marantz VP15s1, 106" Carada BW screen, Oppo BDP-103.
jdlynch is offline  
post #1510 of 1515 Old 09-12-2014, 06:29 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Class A's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,300
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdlynch View Post
Thanks Class A.


I've always liked NAD equipment, and, their Masters Series amplifiers are definitely an option.


However, I'm confused by their specs. The 600wpc you mentioned is called "dynamic power". Their actual minimum rating is only a constant 250 watts/channel with any speaker load (4 ohm or 8 ohm).


I wonder what they mean by dynamic power? Would you feel comfortable that this would drive my LR5's ?
NAD is conservative in their printed power ratings. I heard both the 2 & 7 channel amps. The 2 channel w/B&W 802's and it handled them effortlessly. The 7 channel was in the HT room w/B&W 803's. That room normally has Classe amps. I did not know they changed to the NAD gear until the dealer told me. I really could not tell any drop in SQ and dynamics. Personally I think they should handle the LR5's. Plus they can dig down into 2ohm loads . IMO worth a listen.
Class A is online now  
post #1511 of 1515 Old 09-14-2014, 06:43 AM
Member
 
ejn1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 74
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Any of you guys know if would be possible to change the binding posts on my Aerial LR3's to WBT's? Would it be an easy upgrade?
Thanks
ejn1 is offline  
post #1512 of 1515 Old 09-14-2014, 07:01 AM
Senior Member
 
Wookii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 256
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejn1 View Post
Any of you guys know if would be possible to change the binding posts on my Aerial LR3's to WBT's? Would it be an easy upgrade?
Thanks
I don't see why not, the plastic tray that the binding posts are screwed onto is quite easy to remove and the binding posts are soldered onto wires that connect to the cross over PCB, so it would just be a re-soldering job (providing the WBT's fit in the holes left by the old binding posts).

Why are you looking to change the posts anyway?
Wookii is offline  
post #1513 of 1515 Old 09-14-2014, 08:11 AM
Member
 
ejn1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 74
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wookii View Post
I don't see why not, the plastic tray that the binding posts are screwed onto is quite easy to remove and the binding posts are soldered onto wires that connect to the cross over PCB, so it would just be a re-soldering job (providing the WBT's fit in the holes left by the old binding posts).

Why are you looking to change the posts anyway?
I would agree that it seems logical it would work but didnt know if I would run into to something unforeseen. I have a pair of Audio Physics speakers which have the WBT's and I really like the quality of the posts especially when compared to the LR3's which are pretty basic. I'm not doing for sound improvement per se but rather to increase the quality of the posts for spades, jumpers.

Thanks.

Edit; I just looked behind one of the binding post inserts and it looks like the the way its angled, it would not fit. Pretty tight in the back of the plate. Probably would need to put a new back plate and cover the existing hole,

Last edited by ejn1; 09-14-2014 at 08:37 AM.
ejn1 is offline  
post #1514 of 1515 Old 09-14-2014, 12:30 PM
Advanced Member
 
tranle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Mountain View, CA
Posts: 534
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejn1 View Post
Any of you guys know if would be possible to change the binding posts on my Aerial LR3's to WBT's? Would it be an easy upgrade?
Thanks
The last time I had change the binding post on my Aerial speakers was for a 10T, they had at that time a round head and I wanted to change to the hexagonal head which are easier to tight down.

I found out that the speaker cables are soldered to the back of the binding post and all the speakers are soldered there (woofer+medium+tweeter)
They are pretty difficult de-solder if you do not have the right tool. I case you break them (like melted down some the of plastic), you can buy the whole binding post assembly from Aerial for something like $50. So it is expensive if you messed up.
tranle is offline  
post #1515 of 1515 Old 09-14-2014, 12:49 PM
Member
 
ejn1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 74
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tranle View Post
The last time I had change the binding post on my Aerial speakers was for a 10T, they had at that time a round head and I wanted to change to the hexagonal head which are easier to tight down.

I found out that the speaker cables are soldered to the back of the binding post and all the speakers are soldered there (woofer+medium+tweeter)
They are pretty difficult de-solder if you do not have the right tool. I case you break them (like melted down some the of plastic), you can buy the whole binding post assembly from Aerial for something like $50. So it is expensive if you messed up.
Thanks for the response. I was planning on cutting them at the solder point and then resolder to the new posts. I checked and there appears to be enough slack. $50 is reasonable for a new assembly.

Was also thinking that maybe I could splice the Tweeter and woofer together and put single posts versus the bi-wire posts. I heard from one high end mfg that they put single speaker posts as standard due to the overwhelming majority of customers not bi-wiring so the quality was better avoiding the jumpers all together.

Last edited by ejn1; 09-14-2014 at 12:52 PM.
ejn1 is offline  
Reply Speakers

Tags
Energy Cc 5 Center Channel Speaker Black

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off