Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wookii View Post
What are you using as surrounds?
?
4x Aerial SR3´s. Have had them several years.

Quote:
Also,purely out of interest, what are the shiny boxes on the floor to the outside of each 20T - are they Theta Prometheus monoblocs powering the 20T's?
You´re absolutely right. There is also a 3rd Prometheus behind the center speaker.

ps. I saw your other comments about listening to the 20Ts. Since you are in UK you are welcome for a visit, just a short flight trip
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1502 of 1525 Old 09-11-2014, 05:59 AM

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armand07 View Post
I have heard both LR5s and model 9 and would pick LR5´s with SW12s over Model 9 any day. Even alone the LR5´s are considered by many to be better than model 9 in some areas, and with cc5 you have a perfect match.
Exactly why I went for the LR5's and CC5 in my HT
post #1503 of 1525 Old 09-11-2014, 06:06 AM

Quote:
4x Aerial SR3´s. Have had them several years.

You´re absolutely right. There is also a 3rd Prometheus behind the center speaker.

ps. I saw your other comments about listening to the 20Ts. Since you are in UK you are welcome for a visit, just a short flight trip
Thanks for the offer - if I ever get the chance to pop over to Norway, I'll let you know!

How are you finding the Prometheus mono's? I have heard the Hypex NC1200's in a different amplifier and was very impressed by what I heard with them powering my Salon 2's - in the end I slightly preferred the air and extension my Levinson amp provided, but the amps I demoed did have the stock Hypex SMPS in, rather than the massive linear supply that Theta have added to it, so I should imagine the Prometheus are very good indeed.
post #1504 of 1525 Old 09-11-2014, 06:23 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
How are you finding the Prometheus mono's? I have heard the Hypex NC1200's in a different amplifier and was very impressed by what I heard with them powering my Salon 2's - in the end I slightly preferred the air and extension my Levinson amp provided, but the amps I demoed did have the stock Hypex SMPS in, rather than the massive linear supply that Theta have added to it, so I should imagine the Prometheus are very good indeed.
I like to compare Theta Prometheus amps with Tesla cars! Lightning fast, refined and far ahead of the competition. Best amps I have heard to date, regardless of price. Enough said
post #1505 of 1525 Old 09-11-2014, 07:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Smile

Quote:
Agreed, the current line up has been out for a very long time - relatively speaking that is.

That said, I do find it strange that they discontinue items long before the replacement is available to take their place. Look at the SR3's - discontinued last year, and no sign of a replacement Aerial surround speaker. Same with the 9's - why discontinue them until the new model is ready for release?! Surely it makes better business sense to at least have something to offer at each level, than have gaps of time where nothing is available.
Apparently he was losing money on the 9's also he no longer deals w/the cabinet maker from Denmark. Cost increases were getting higher. I know certain people have tried to encourage him to develop in wall rears but he has not been keen on the idea. Personally I think a lot of customers would welcome an Aerial in wall speaker for rear sound. That would also cut down on the cost of cabinet making.
post #1506 of 1525 Old 09-11-2014, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Class A View Post
Apparently he was losing money on the 9's also he no longer deals w/the cabinet maker from Denmark. Cost increases were getting higher. I know certain people have tried to encourage him to develop in wall rears but he has not been keen on the idea. Personally I think a lot of customers would welcome an Aerial in wall speaker for rear sound. That would also cut down on the cost of cabinet making.
Agreed, or at least just some sort of surround speaker, the 5B's are a difficult option for wall mounting at 275mm deep - though admittedly I am using mine as rear heights channels - which makes putting together an Aerial surround system tricky in all but the largest rooms.

The last I heard from Michael was that he was working on an in wall (I think) option with a movable/directable tweeter, but I have not heard any more on it.
post #1507 of 1525 Old 09-11-2014, 03:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
If you are mostly into home theater you of course have the choice of LR5´s, CC5 and a couple of SW12s which is a tremendous combination. If I had my system mostly geared towards home theater that would be on top of my list. I mean also with music, unless you are stretching for 20Ts, the LR5´s are truely great. I have heard both LR5s and model 9 and would pick LR5´s with SW12s over Model 9 any day. Even alone the LR5´s are considered by many to be better than model 9 in some areas, and with cc5 you have a perfect match.

We are in full agreement here. I am totally content with my LR5's, and, feel like I have finally found the "holy grail". I can't see myself ever feeling the need to upgrade.

At this time I need to upgrade my amplification. I am just waiting for a good price (that I can afford) on a well regarded pre-owned unit(s).

David Lynch Current Equipment: Marantz AV8801, Proceed HPA3, Parasound HCA-1206, Aerial Acoustics LR5's (LCR), Aerial Acoustics LR3's (sides), RBH in-walls (rears), Seaton Submersive, Marantz VP15s1, 106" Carada BW screen, Oppo BDP-103.
post #1508 of 1525 Old 09-11-2014, 04:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdlynch View Post
We are in full agreement here. I am totally content with my LR5's, and, feel like I have finally found the "holy grail". I can't see myself ever feeling the need to upgrade.

At this time I need to upgrade my amplification. I am just waiting for a good price (that I can afford) on a well regarded pre-owned unit(s).
Check out the new NAD master series amps. The 2 channel amp will give you up to 600wpc at 2ohms.
post #1509 of 1525 Old 09-12-2014, 04:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Check out the new NAD master series amps. The 2 channel amp will give you up to 600wpc at 2ohms.

Thanks Class A.

I've always liked NAD equipment, and, their Masters Series amplifiers are definitely an option.

However, I'm confused by their specs. The 600wpc you mentioned is called "dynamic power". Their actual minimum rating is only a constant 250 watts/channel with any speaker load (4 ohm or 8 ohm).

I wonder what they mean by dynamic power? Would you feel comfortable that this would drive my LR5's ?

David Lynch Current Equipment: Marantz AV8801, Proceed HPA3, Parasound HCA-1206, Aerial Acoustics LR5's (LCR), Aerial Acoustics LR3's (sides), RBH in-walls (rears), Seaton Submersive, Marantz VP15s1, 106" Carada BW screen, Oppo BDP-103.
post #1510 of 1525 Old 09-12-2014, 06:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdlynch View Post
Thanks Class A.

I've always liked NAD equipment, and, their Masters Series amplifiers are definitely an option.

However, I'm confused by their specs. The 600wpc you mentioned is called "dynamic power". Their actual minimum rating is only a constant 250 watts/channel with any speaker load (4 ohm or 8 ohm).

I wonder what they mean by dynamic power? Would you feel comfortable that this would drive my LR5's ?
NAD is conservative in their printed power ratings. I heard both the 2 & 7 channel amps. The 2 channel w/B&W 802's and it handled them effortlessly. The 7 channel was in the HT room w/B&W 803's. That room normally has Classe amps. I did not know they changed to the NAD gear until the dealer told me. I really could not tell any drop in SQ and dynamics. Personally I think they should handle the LR5's. Plus they can dig down into 2ohm loads . IMO worth a listen.
post #1511 of 1525 Old 09-14-2014, 06:43 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Any of you guys know if would be possible to change the binding posts on my Aerial LR3's to WBT's? Would it be an easy upgrade?
Thanks
post #1512 of 1525 Old 09-14-2014, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejn1 View Post
Any of you guys know if would be possible to change the binding posts on my Aerial LR3's to WBT's? Would it be an easy upgrade?
Thanks
I don't see why not, the plastic tray that the binding posts are screwed onto is quite easy to remove and the binding posts are soldered onto wires that connect to the cross over PCB, so it would just be a re-soldering job (providing the WBT's fit in the holes left by the old binding posts).

Why are you looking to change the posts anyway?
post #1513 of 1525 Old 09-14-2014, 08:11 AM

Quote:
I don't see why not, the plastic tray that the binding posts are screwed onto is quite easy to remove and the binding posts are soldered onto wires that connect to the cross over PCB, so it would just be a re-soldering job (providing the WBT's fit in the holes left by the old binding posts).

Why are you looking to change the posts anyway?
I would agree that it seems logical it would work but didnt know if I would run into to something unforeseen. I have a pair of Audio Physics speakers which have the WBT's and I really like the quality of the posts especially when compared to the LR3's which are pretty basic. I'm not doing for sound improvement per se but rather to increase the quality of the posts for spades, jumpers.

Thanks.

Edit; I just looked behind one of the binding post inserts and it looks like the the way its angled, it would not fit. Pretty tight in the back of the plate. Probably would need to put a new back plate and cover the existing hole,

Last edited by ejn1; 09-14-2014 at 08:37 AM.
post #1514 of 1525 Old 09-14-2014, 12:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejn1 View Post
Thanks
The last time I had change the binding post on my Aerial speakers was for a 10T, they had at that time a round head and I wanted to change to the hexagonal head which are easier to tight down.

I found out that the speaker cables are soldered to the back of the binding post and all the speakers are soldered there (woofer+medium+tweeter)
They are pretty difficult de-solder if you do not have the right tool. I case you break them (like melted down some the of plastic), you can buy the whole binding post assembly from Aerial for something like $50. So it is expensive if you messed up.
post #1515 of 1525 Old 09-14-2014, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranle View Post
The last time I had change the binding post on my Aerial speakers was for a 10T, they had at that time a round head and I wanted to change to the hexagonal head which are easier to tight down.

I found out that the speaker cables are soldered to the back of the binding post and all the speakers are soldered there (woofer+medium+tweeter)
They are pretty difficult de-solder if you do not have the right tool. I case you break them (like melted down some the of plastic), you can buy the whole binding post assembly from Aerial for something like $50. So it is expensive if you messed up.
Thanks for the response. I was planning on cutting them at the solder point and then resolder to the new posts. I checked and there appears to be enough slack. $50 is reasonable for a new assembly.

Was also thinking that maybe I could splice the Tweeter and woofer together and put single posts versus the bi-wire posts. I heard from one high end mfg that they put single speaker posts as standard due to the overwhelming majority of customers not bi-wiring so the quality was better avoiding the jumpers all together.

Last edited by ejn1; 09-14-2014 at 12:52 PM.
post #1516 of 1525 Old 09-19-2014, 09:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 41
A couple days ago I was wondering if the Model 6's I got were that different from the already excellent Def Tech BP30s I had in my main theater so I pulled down my screen and moved the BP30s along side the AA 6's to see if they were really that different and worth the extra expense. If they were not that much better I was just going to sell the Aerials and be satisfied with the Def Techs for music as well as movies. I am so glad that I compared them directly! The Aerials, though smooth, are so much more musical and focused than the Def Techs. The sound stage is huge but the imaging is amazing to. The Model 6's are staying now for sure.

Here is what I did to make my Model 6's come alive:
I put the larger spike on the front of the anchors to tilt them back and align better with my ears.

I then modified 6 heavy hat brass weights that I had for under/over equipment and used them in place of the little thin brass wafers that were protecting the floor from the spikes.

The thick brass weights really tightened everything up
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20140920_000124.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	115.7 KB
ID:	270417   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140920_000142.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	112.7 KB
ID:	270425   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140920_000235.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	114.2 KB
ID:	270433  
Class A likes this.

Last edited by edfowler; 09-19-2014 at 09:36 PM.
post #1517 of 1525 Old 09-20-2014, 07:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 59
I used to have dt 7001's as my main l/r speakers and have since moved them to the back of the room as rear surrounds. I have always been into two channel playback more so than ht. I am still a dt fan but when it comes to stereo playback, my 7t's reign supreme. Even my wife who could care less about such things noticed a difference. I'll be moving into a brand new house in December with a dedicated theater. I can't wait to here the 7t's in a room that will be a better acoustic space than their current space.

post #1518 of 1525 Old 09-20-2014, 07:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Great low cost mod. W/the high compression that you get from many digital recordings the smoother top end I feel is a plus. Makes the listening sessions longer w/a lower fatigue factor. Also I noticed you took off the grills. I've had mine off for a long time and found them more open. How many Aerial owner prefer the grills off. Obviously if you have curious children or pets you'll probably want the grills on.
post #1519 of 1525 Old 09-20-2014, 09:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Great low cost mod. W/the high compression that you get from many digital recordings the smoother top end I feel is a plus. Makes the listening sessions longer w/a lower fatigue factor. Also I noticed you took off the grills. I've had mine off for a long time and found them more open. How many Aerial owner prefer the grills off. Obviously if you have curious children or pets you'll probably want the grills on.
Yeah, my listening session last night lasted until 2:30 am. I tend to fall asleep listening to the Aerials.

My next 'mod' for the 6's is to put a uv light on them and even out/darken the stain on the front. I have the light bulbs, I just need to figure out little caps to cover the drivers so the UV doesn't degrade them while it is darkening up the wood. I LOVE dark cherry wood, light cherry isn't my favorite.

Last edited by edfowler; 09-20-2014 at 09:41 AM.
post #1520 of 1525 Old 09-20-2014, 09:48 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Met with owner

I have had Aerial Acoustics speakers for years...I have them in Front (L&R),Center,and Surrounds(L&R)...also own the Lexicon MC12 Music and Cinema controller with Sunfire Signature 500 watt amp...paired with Sony 65 inch 4K TV and Sony FMPX10 new 4K media player.
I have visited the Aerial Acoustics company itself and had the opportunity to meet the owner/creator many times-a very nice ,extremely interesting man.
Exceptional quality speakers with beautiful Cherry wood. Wouldn't buy anything else.

Last edited by aflorida; 09-20-2014 at 02:42 PM.
post #1521 of 1525 Old 09-20-2014, 10:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by aflorida View Post
I have had Aerial Acoustics speakers for years...I have them in Front (L&R),Center,and Surrounds(L&R)...also own the Lexicon MC12 Music and Cinema controller with Sunfire Signature 500 watt amp...paired with Sony 65 inch 4K TV and Sony FMPX10 new 4K media player.
I have visited the Aerial Acoustics company itself and had the opportunity to meet the owner/creator many times-a very nice man.
Exceptional quality speakers with beautiful Cherry wood. Wouldn't buy anything else.
What models do you own? Also I'm looking at the Sony 55 inch 4k TV. How do you like the Sony??
post #1522 of 1525 Old 09-20-2014, 02:39 PM

Quote:
What models do you own? Also I'm looking at the Sony 55 inch 4k TV. How do you like the Sony??
I have had the Aerial's for 17 years...how fast time flys ! ...I have the Model 8's for L&R front (Cherry wood)...CC5 for Center ...SR3 Surrounds (L&R)...I've had them so long I hope I have the models correct...
As for the Sony... I purchased the Sony 4K TV and extremely happy...first had the 55 inch 4K..then after about a week "swapped" it for the 65 inch 4K Sony...Best Buy has the 30 day if not satisfied policy so all I did was call them and they picked up the 55 inch at the same time delivered the 65 inch. Amazing clarity,colors pop, some have compared the colors to a pack of candy Skittles!...The TV upscales everything to near 4K resolution whether its your HD cable,or DVD player,etc. Now I also own the new Sony 4K media player FMPX10 -not much content at the moment but it does give you selection of "true" 4K movies via the Sony Video Unlimited Video store and at the moment you can access Netflix(with subscription) which is now streaming 4K content..soon add'l apps will be available like Amazon 4K,etc...but at the moment the media player is brand new and selection is small. If you have Skype I can show you my set-up..I don't mind giving you my Skype name to cam and chat and can show you the Sony TV ...the set-up,,,Aerial's...media player...Lexicon MC12,etc ...Reply back..

Added note of interest: When I last spoke with Aerial Acoustics founder I asked the question "Will Aerial ever produce soundbars since the televisions are getting slimmer and slimmer and can't place any center channel on top as we did with those gigantic TV sets of the past." His answer was : Yes. Unless that has changed since I last spoke to him. Yes,I know the sound from soundbars can't come close to having seperate speakers but what ever Aerial manufactures should be the best quality one can get from a soundbar. I was just asking.

Last edited by aflorida; 09-20-2014 at 04:46 PM.
post #1523 of 1525 Old 09-21-2014, 03:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
I have had the Aerial's for 17 years...how fast time flys ! ...I have the Model 8's for L&R front (Cherry wood)...CC5 for Center ...SR3 Surrounds (L&R)...I've had them so long I hope I have the models correct...
As for the Sony... I purchased the Sony 4K TV and extremely happy...first had the 55 inch 4K..then after about a week "swapped" it for the 65 inch 4K Sony...Best Buy has the 30 day if not satisfied policy so all I did was call them and they picked up the 55 inch at the same time delivered the 65 inch. Amazing clarity,colors pop, some have compared the colors to a pack of candy Skittles!...The TV upscales everything to near 4K resolution whether its your HD cable,or DVD player,etc. Now I also own the new Sony 4K media player FMPX10 -not much content at the moment but it does give you selection of "true" 4K movies via the Sony Video Unlimited Video store and at the moment you can access Netflix(with subscription) which is now streaming 4K content..soon add'l apps will be available like Amazon 4K,etc...but at the moment the media player is brand new and selection is small. If you have Skype I can show you my set-up..I don't mind giving you my Skype name to cam and chat and can show you the Sony TV ...the set-up,,,Aerial's...media player...Lexicon MC12,etc ...Reply back..

Added note of interest: When I last spoke with Aerial Acoustics founder I asked the question "Will Aerial ever produce soundbars since the televisions are getting slimmer and slimmer and can't place any center channel on top as we did with those gigantic TV sets of the past." His answer was : Yes. Unless that has changed since I last spoke to him. Yes,I know the sound from soundbars can't come close to having seperate speakers but what ever Aerial manufactures should be the best quality one can get from a soundbar. I was just asking.
Nice setup. A lot of Aerial owners have had their speakers for years. Last year when Michael Kelly was in NH at Audio Video Therapy I met a few people that still had their 10T's. Thanks for the info on the Sony. However I'm brain dead when it comes to computers and wouldn't know how to get on Skype. I'm going to get the TV through my dealer. I have a $600 credit when I sold my McIntosh MVP-851 DVD-CD player and he's going to give me the Best Buy price. Plus he's going to take my old 42 inch 720p Pioneer Elite TV as trade in. The set is pre Kuro. Soundbar sounds interesting but it will probably be a long way down the road. Currently the new center was due at the end of summer. Now some time in the fall. Also the 5T bookshelf is also planned along w/the new 9T a few years away. Things move slowly at Aerial. Unlike larger speaker companies he doesn't have a team of engineers planning new lines.
post #1524 of 1525 Old 09-21-2014, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Nice setup. A lot of Aerial owners have had their speakers for years. Last year when Michael Kelly was in NH at Audio Video Therapy I met a few people that still had their 10T's. Thanks for the info on the Sony. However I'm brain dead when it comes to computers and wouldn't know how to get on Skype. I'm going to get the TV through my dealer. I have a $600 credit when I sold my McIntosh MVP-851 DVD-CD player and he's going to give me the Best Buy price. Plus he's going to take my old 42 inch 720p Pioneer Elite TV as trade in. The set is pre Kuro. Soundbar sounds interesting but it will probably be a long way down the road. Currently the new center was due at the end of summer. Now some time in the fall. Also the 5T bookshelf is also planned along w/the new 9T a few years away. Things move slowly at Aerial. Unlike larger speaker companies he doesn't have a team of engineers planning new lines.
When you get your Sony you can always reach out to me with any questions...just send me a private message on this AVS Forum...
post #1525 of 1525 Old 09-21-2014, 08:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
When you get your Sony you can always reach out to me with any questions...just send me a private message on this AVS Forum...
Will do.
Reply Speakers

Tags
Energy Cc 5 Center Channel Speaker Black

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page