12Likes

post #1531 of 1623 Old 09-25-2014, 09:32 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by g_bartman View Post
I just read the htr review on the. 6t's. No surprise, they got a great review. I wonder if Michael would consider a bookshelf T series speaker for small space or surround duty. I know there is A T series cc in the works. A complete T series setup would be killer.
I thinks its been mentioned further up the thread Greg, that its on Aerial road map to replace the 5B with a 5T. I'm hoping so, then I can pick up a couple more pairs of 5B's for a song!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1532 of 1623 Old 09-25-2014, 05:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wookii View Post
I thinks its been mentioned further up the thread Greg, that its on Aerial road map to replace the 5B with a 5T. I'm hoping so, then I can pick up a couple more pairs of 5B's for a song!
The 5B is out of production. He's selling out his inventory. After the center the 5T will be next.
post #1533 of 1623 Old 09-25-2014, 07:13 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ok guys I've been listening to my setup now for a couple weeks. A pair of model 6's, cc5 and model 5's for rear channels. My processor is integra 9.8 and mcintosh 7106 amp. All I can say is it sounds great . The cc5 is awsome . The model 6 sweet and the 5's to. I even used the 5's as mains until I got the 6's and they were great . Oh I am using a velodyne hgs10 bg sub that blends great. My area is small hence why I went for the 6's and Iam glad I did . They look great and sound perfect for my smaller room. So far I am very happy and won't be changing out anything for a while.

One question , I was going to bridge the 6 channel mc7106 to give me 3 x 320 watt channels to power the front three but manual says I can't do that with 4 ohm speakers . So since I can't bridge the channels how's about using a y adapter ? preamp out to y adapter, then I can use two channels without bridging ? Would this work ? Is there any possible issue if I do this ?

It sounds great as is but I would like to see how it's sounds with more power cuz I know these aa's can go low.
post #1534 of 1623 Old 09-26-2014, 04:26 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 16
How loud are you listening? Do you have a db meter to give you a rough idea? You might be surprised and how little power speakers need in order to be driven to relatively high levels.

Try this calculator... it seems to be a good approximation. I'm guessing the Aerial 6's are 86 db for efficiency and probably 4 ohms (the new 6T's are on Aerial's website now, so the old stats are gone).

http://myhometheater.homestead.com/splcalculator.html

You'll probably end up with something in the 95-105 db range.

Also, what's the power to your equipment?

I just have my stuff in the living room (no dedicated HT room) without a dedicated power line. I was kidna blown away when i did some math.

120v * 15 amps = 1800 watts, max. Really, my power dips down to as low as 115V sometimes, and I'd bet the breaker trips a bit before 15 amps.

In my case, my plasma TV can take up to 450 watts (most 50-60" LCDs seem to use around 200-250 watts), and I allotted 75 watts for my bluray player, 75 watts for my processor, and 100 watts for my sub woofer so that's 700 watts total. That leaves 1100 watts for the amp. And that's maximum, assuming NOTHING else (lights, ceiling fan, etc) are being used on that particular circuit.

Amps seem to have an idle (no signal) power rating. In my case, 200 watts. After that, (on a class a/b amp), you probably get about 1/2 of the used power going to the speakers (due to efficiency). In my case, 900 watts 1/2 of which is only 450 watts total.

I'm going to make a guesstimate and say 120 watts to the front three, 45 watts to the back two. It'll really depend on what you're listening to and how its mixed.

Without a dedicated line, you aren't really capable of pulling a whole lot of power. And, I'm not sure that "more" continuous power = better sound. More capacitance (stored power) for instant power needs is probably helpful.
post #1535 of 1623 Old 09-26-2014, 05:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Thumbs up

Interesting. I used the chart w/my Threshold 90 watt modified Class A mono blocks on my 6's and got 100.8 db. Plenty loud for me in a small room. Also nice to see that Michael finally added the new 6T to his website. By the way the 6 is rated as a 6ohm speaker that will dip to 4ohms.
post #1536 of 1623 Old 09-26-2014, 09:59 PM

Thanks for info . Iam using a mcintosh mc7106.

Iam not looking for loudness it's enough for me. I just wonder if more power would result in some better sonic characteristics.

Last edited by miamioutlaw04; 09-26-2014 at 11:06 PM.
post #1537 of 1623 Old 09-27-2014, 01:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamioutlaw04 View Post
Thanks for info . I am using a mcintosh mc7106.
I am not looking for loudness it's enough for me. I just wonder if more power would result in some better sonic characteristics.
I don't think adding more watts will increase the quality of the sound. There are some very nice amps that don't push more than 50 watts (or less!). You might demo some different brands of amplifiers. Perhaps Bryston, Krell, Mark Levinson, etc. (I'm trying to stick to companies that create a line of amps that are HT friendly, but still "musical").

Think of amps (or ANY component) like flavors. There isn't a right or wrong flavor. You just need to pick the flavor that *you* enjoy most with what you're listening to. For example, I recently demoed an Ayre V-5xe amp with Aerial 7T's (and a McIntosh processor). I really enjoyed the top and middle end of the music. The bottom end was a little "loose" for me though. That doesn't mean Ayre isn't a great amp (it is!). It just isn't what *I* want.

Aerials do require "power", but I don't feel that power is about more watts. I feel it's about capacitance and quality of power. An amp with enough power that is temporarily stored up in it's capacitors can handle the immediate needs of an Aerial speaker very well.

Quote:
Interesting. I used the chart w/my Threshold 90 watt modified Class A mono blocks on my 6's and got 100.8 db. Plenty loud for me in a small room. Also nice to see that Michael finally added the new 6T to his website. By the way the 6 is rated as a 6ohm speaker that will dip to 4ohms.
Thanks Class A. I just robbed the cc5b stats when I guessed.
g_bartman likes this.
post #1538 of 1623 Old 09-27-2014, 10:22 PM

I have had many amps before including a krell and liked it . I also had another mcintosh before and that's why I purchased this one. I like the mcintosh sound and with these model 6's think it matches well.granted I have not tried them with other amps but the sound I have now is good for me. It is what I would call a rich and full bodied sound ,music has weight but yet an airy presence, soundstage is wide, good detail and imaging also.
post #1539 of 1623 Old 09-28-2014, 12:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
I have had many amps before including a krell and liked it . I also had another mcintosh before and that's why I purchased this one. I like the mcintosh sound and with these model 6's think it matches well.granted I have not tried them with other amps but the sound I have now is good for me. It is what I would call a rich and full bodied sound ,music has weight but yet an airy presence, soundstage is wide, good detail and imaging also.
The 6 was the easiest Aerial to drive out of all the speakers in the old line. The 7106 has more than enough juice to drive your system. Plus Mac amps have that power guard feature which eliminates clipping,
post #1540 of 1623 Old 09-28-2014, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Class A View Post
Quote:
The 6 was the easiest Aerial to drive out of all the speakers in the old line. The 7106 has more than enough juice to drive your system. Plus Mac amps have that power guard feature which eliminates clipping,
Ok thx .
post #1541 of 1623 Old 09-28-2014, 03:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Speaking of amplifiers....

There have recently been several of the Sherbourn PA7-350 amplifiers on the used market. I think several took advantage of a close-out special, then, decided they didn't need all the power. I am sure some just want to turn a profit

I can't help but wonder how this amp would pair with my Aerial LR5's up front and my LR3 surrounds. My first concern is the single power supply for all 7 channels. I now have a Proceed HPA3 for my fronts which has basically monaural amplifiers for each of the front speakers; I Know its a step backwards on paper, but, will I really tell a noticeable difference?

The advantage would be a basically new amplifier with a warranty. Do any Aerial owners here think the Sherbourn would be a good (or poor) idea for my Aerials?

David Lynch Current Equipment: Marantz AV8801, Proceed HPA3, Parasound HCA-1206, Aerial Acoustics LR5's (LCR), Aerial Acoustics LR3's (sides), RBH in-walls (rears), Seaton Submersive, Marantz VP15s1, 106" Carada BW screen, Oppo BDP-103.
post #1542 of 1623 Old 09-28-2014, 04:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdlynch View Post

There have recently been several of the Sherbourn PA7-350 amplifiers on the used market. I think several took advantage of a close-out special, then, decided they didn't need all the power. I am sure some just want to turn a profit

I can't help but wonder how this amp would pair with my Aerial LR5's up front and my LR3 surrounds. My first concern is the single power supply for all 7 channels. I now have a Proceed HPA3 for my fronts which has basically monaural amplifiers for each of the front speakers; I Know its a step backwards on paper, but, will I really tell a noticeable difference?

The advantage would be a basically new amplifier with a warranty. Do any Aerial owners here think the Sherbourn would be a good (or poor) idea for my Aerials?
That's hard to say. That's 7x350 with a single power supply? That's asking a lot. I sometimes think we get caught up in the wpc game unnecessarily. I suppose you cound try the Sherbourn and see if it's worh it. If not, re list it.

post #1543 of 1623 Old 09-28-2014, 08:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Thumbs up

Quote:

Being your in Indiana I would contact Klaus Bunge of Qdyssey audio he will build an amp according to the specs you need. His amps have been used by Magico in house to test their speakers. He will ask you about your room and your speaker set up. Cost is reasonable w/a 30 day return policy. Also he has a 20 year warranty. All amps are made in Indiana. Might be worth a look.
post #1544 of 1623 Old 09-29-2014, 05:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Class A View Post
Being your in Indiana I would contact Klaus Bunge of Qdyssey audio he will build an amp according to the specs you need. His amps have been used by Magico in house to test their speakers. He will ask you about your room and your speaker set up. Cost is reasonable w/a 30 day return policy. Also he has a 20 year warranty. All amps are made in Indiana. Might be worth a look.
Thanks Class A.

I have considered the Odyssey amplifier, but, I am trying to keep my investment as low as possible. With two kids in college, and, my wife retiring at the end of this month, funds are not flowing freely at the moment.

The Sherbourn just seemed to be an excellent choice for the money. Upon closer inspection I found that all seven channels are fed by a single class "H" power supply. It may not provide enough current to power all five of my Aerials plus my rear in-walls.

David Lynch Current Equipment: Marantz AV8801, Proceed HPA3, Parasound HCA-1206, Aerial Acoustics LR5's (LCR), Aerial Acoustics LR3's (sides), RBH in-walls (rears), Seaton Submersive, Marantz VP15s1, 106" Carada BW screen, Oppo BDP-103.
post #1545 of 1623 Old 09-29-2014, 10:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Thanks Class A.

I have considered the Odyssey amplifier, but, I am trying to keep my investment as low as possible. With two kids in college, and, my wife retiring at the end of this month, funds are not flowing freely at the moment.

The Sherbourn just seemed to be an excellent choice for the money. Upon closer inspection I found that all seven channels are fed by a single class "H" power supply. It may not provide enough current to power all five of my Aerials plus my rear in-walls.
Hi David.

Have you considered Van Alstine amps? His prices are very competitive and his amps are neutral and excellent. I compared them with much more expensive and could detect no difference when playing various Salk speakers (including the incomparable SoundScape 12s). Check his website often for great deals on warrantied used amps!

Here ---> http://www.avahifi.com/

And I have to get something audio before my missus retires next year, too!!

Best regards and good luck with your search.

MARGARITAS,
they're not just for breakfast anymore.

Last edited by Mudslide; 09-29-2014 at 10:15 PM.
post #1546 of 1623 Old 09-30-2014, 03:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudslide View Post
Hi David.

Have you considered Van Alstine amps? His prices are very competitive and his amps are neutral and excellent. I compared them with much more expensive and could detect no difference when playing various Salk speakers (including the incomparable SoundScape 12s). Check his website often for great deals on warrantied used amps!

Here ---> http://www.avahifi.com/

And I have to get something audio before my missus retires next year, too!!

Best regards and good luck with your search.

Mud- Thanks for the link. My search for the time being is for the best value I can find on the used market. I would like to find something with at least 300 watts/channel into 8 ohms.

post #1547 of 1623 Old 09-30-2014, 03:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Mud- Thanks for the link. My search for the time being is for the best value I can find on the used market. I would like to find something with at least 300 watts/channel into 8 ohms.
There is current to consider as well as watts. How about this? http://www.avahifi.com/index.php?opt...165&Itemid=231 Those 225 watts are plenty for your Aerials. For 300 watts, look no further than the FET Valve 600R. Both of these units handle loads down to 2 ohms, btw. But they're both pricey unless you can find used models.

The issue for you maybe more what the stuff costs (as it is for many of us). There's nothing wrong with the Sherbourn. You won't get the top end performance of some of the better amps, but for certain you won't need it for an HT application. Here's a good review on the piece from Andrew Robinson....
http://www.andrew-robinson-online.co...wer-amplifier/

My only concern about the Sherbourn is that it's spec'ed to 4 ohms. I believe your speakers are going to challenge that spec a little.

MARGARITAS,
post #1548 of 1623 Old 09-30-2014, 08:23 PM

I was watching need for speed today the race seens sounded great as for the movie itself ....,,,, well what did u expect. But like I said the race seens are good to hear what your system can do. The mcintosh 7106 pushed the speakers as loud as I wanted and did not get harsh and sounded good. I still need to do some dialing in with my rears and I couldn't really push it to loud cuz kids and wife were there so we'll see
post #1549 of 1623 Old 10-06-2014, 09:17 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Was wondering if anyone had heard about the status of a new Aerial center channel to replace the CC5?

This ain't no party, this ain't no disco
post #1550 of 1623 Old 10-08-2014, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjk3030 View Post
Was wondering if anyone had heard about the status of a new Aerial center channel to replace the CC5?
The first center is said to be released in December 2014 with a 4000-$4500 price tag.
post #1551 of 1623 Old 10-08-2014, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjk3030 View Post
I thought the centre was a replacement for the CC3b - as far as I understood Michael Kelly had no plans to replace the LR5/CC5 series?
post #1552 of 1623 Old 10-08-2014, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wookii View Post
I thought the centre was a replacement for the CC3b - as far as I understood Michael Kelly had no plans to replace the LR5/CC5 series?
Oops. Yes, my post referred to the ccT (or whatever they name it). My understanding is that it is between the CC3b and CC5, but closer to the CC3b. I've only heard about the one center, nothing about two, separate sized ones.

At a guess (and that's all this is), I think they'll use the drivers in the 6T's.

- Garrett
post #1553 of 1623 Old 10-08-2014, 04:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grit View Post
The first center is said to be released in December 2014 with a 4000-$4500 price tag.
Unfortunately, based upon AA's small staff and past performance (7T being delayed years), I'd guess 2016 would be a more likely release date. Not a bad thing, really...no fine wine is ready before its time.

I'd be happy to be proven wrong. Michael is a straight up guy who deserves our support.

MARGARITAS,
post #1554 of 1623 Old 10-08-2014, 04:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudslide View Post
Unfortunately, based upon AA's small staff and past performance (7T being delayed years), I'd guess 2016 would be a more likely release date. Not a bad thing, really...no fine wine is ready before its time.

I'd be happy to be proven wrong. Michael is a straight up guy who deserves our support.
+1 Mudslide.

Michael Kelly is the "Godfather" of this forum. Without him who knows what speakers I'd be listening to.

post #1555 of 1623 Old 10-09-2014, 12:48 AM

Quote:
+1 Mudslide.

Michael Kelly is the "Godfather" of this forum. Without him who knows what speakers I'd be listening to.
I'll accept any delay, just glad its in the works! My guess is whatever made the 6T affordable to produce is probably what's allowing the new center to be produced as well. Hopefully its just "fine tuning" and it'll be out sooner than later. Regardless, no other speaker company is getting my money.

Though if it really is going to be 2016, I'd upgrade an amp right now.
post #1556 of 1623 Old 10-13-2014, 12:30 PM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 18
From what I have heard the 7CC will be 2015, most likely Q1.
post #1557 of 1623 Old 10-14-2014, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armand07 View Post
From what I have heard the 7CC will be 2015, most likely Q1.
That wouldn't surprise me. It was slated for December. It's not hard to imagine a 3-6 month delay.

Whatever Michael Kelly's formula is, it works for me, so I'm not interested in hastening it.
g_bartman likes this.
post #1558 of 1623 Old 10-17-2014, 09:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 44
looks like a beautiful pair of 6T's for sale on the Gon!!
post #1559 of 1623 Old 10-18-2014, 07:28 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Michael mentioned to me the 7T on wall version will be out in Q1... I have a 113in screen and it would be a perfect fit to flank it left and right. It will be a tough call though as I just added a pair of ASC tube traps behind my LR3's which sit on 30in high open shelf and it was amazing what it did for the speakers around midrange clarity. Almost like listening to a new speaker.
post #1560 of 1623 Old 10-18-2014, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edfowler View Post
looks like a beautiful pair of 6T's for sale on the Gon!!
Wonder why someone is selling them so soon?
Reply Speakers

Tags
Energy Cc 5 Center Channel Speaker Black