11Likes

post #1561 of 1575 Old 10-18-2014, 06:33 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejn1 View Post
Michael mentioned to me the 7T on wall version will be out in Q1... I have a 113in screen and it would be a perfect fit to flank it left and right. It will be a tough call though as I just added a pair of ASC tube traps behind my LR3's which sit on 30in high open shelf and it was amazing what it did for the speakers around midrange clarity. Almost like listening to a new speaker.
I've been I intrigued by those ASC tube traps also - did you run a full frequency measurement before and after by any chance, I'd be interested to see your plots if so. Was there much improvement in the bass frequencies?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1562 of 1575 Old 10-18-2014, 06:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wookii View Post
Wonder why someone is selling them so soon?
I considered selling my 6's for a while cause they just weren't doing it for me. Once I spent a little time tweaking, moving them around, using different spikes and adding a different amplifier, I reconsidered selling them. Now I have no intention whatsoever to sell them.
post #1563 of 1575 Old 10-18-2014, 07:03 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've seen this seller before I think with a pair of Aerial's.... Must be linked to a dealer in some way.
post #1564 of 1575 Old 10-18-2014, 07:12 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
I've been I intrigued by those ASC tube traps also - did you run a full frequency measurement before and after by any chance, I'd be interested to see your plots if so. Was there much improvement in the bass frequencies?
I had a freq plot from my Anthem pre ARC software and they both (along with the CC3B center) showed a large (eg 8db) mid range dip around 150-200Hz along with some other noise. I cant do a before and after now as I have Emotiva XMC-1 that I'm still waiting on the Dirac addition to it (coming soon I hear). I have them crossed at 70Hz and there was definitely some improvement in mid bass also as I have 16in full rounds in the corners on the shelf (pic attached). Its not my visual nirvana but I'm first trying to make sure I like what they do before I go deeper. My next step is to really try to tame the lower bass in the room with some tube traps in the rear of the room that go down to 25 Hz range to deal with the pair of JL F112 subs I have.

The first thing i noticed was the pinpoint clarity and focus in the mids and upper bass that were before a little muddy in comparison.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ASC Tubetrap.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	27.8 KB
ID:	317794  

Last edited by ejn1; 10-18-2014 at 07:21 AM.
post #1565 of 1575 Old 10-18-2014, 08:23 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Just an update. I still have my 8's and love 'em! I have absolutely NO reason to ever get another set of speakers for this system. I swapped out my Sherbourn pre-amp/processor for a well loved and used McIntosh MX119 and was surprised at the change in timbre, soundstage and definition. I wasn't convinced that swapping pre's was worthwhile and I must admit I've always thought "A pre-amp is a pre-amp is a pre-amp" but I was wrong. Time to eat a bit of crow...

Now I am on the hunt for a McAmp or two or three.

Michael
Sherbourn/Emotiva/SimAudio/Aerial Acoustics/Panamax
post #1566 of 1575 Old 10-18-2014, 12:08 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Wonder why someone is selling them so soon?
There are all kinds of reason why people need to sell their stuff, doesn´t necessary have anything to do with the speakers.
post #1567 of 1575 Old 10-18-2014, 12:18 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armand07 View Post
There are all kinds of reason why people need to sell their stuff, doesn´t necessary have anything to do with the speakers.
Very true. There are folks whose hobby is gear hunting and swapping. Others tend to hold on to their gear for much longer. I tend to be in the latter group and when I start swapping gear it's because I am upgrading, not just swapping.

Heck, I still have my McIntosh C28 and MR77 I purchased oh so long ago.

Michael
Sherbourn/Emotiva/SimAudio/Aerial Acoustics/Panamax
post #1568 of 1575 Old 10-18-2014, 01:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Well, those 6Ts didn't last for sale for long. Did someone here snag them?
post #1569 of 1575 Old Yesterday, 06:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamaki View Post
Very true. There are folks whose hobby is gear hunting and swapping. Others tend to hold on to their gear for much longer. I tend to be in the latter group and when I start swapping gear it's because I am upgrading, not just swapping.

Heck, I still have my McIntosh C28 and MR77 I purchased oh so long ago.
I usually swap old gear for upgrades. Recently I sold a McIntosh MVP 851 a Project phono tube box a Dynavector 10x5 cart and trimmed down my vinyl collection selling off some music I rarely listen to. In return I picked up a new Dynavector P-75MKIII phono and a Dynavector 20x2L MC cart. I still have money in reserve from some previous sales and I'll probably get a new Sony 4K TV when next years taxes come in. Right now w/my AV cookie jar savings cost for the new TV will be about $400.
post #1570 of 1575 Old Yesterday, 06:35 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I'd love a matching center to my 7T's, which to add to the earlier posts about amps, sound wonderful with an Odyssey Stratos
post #1571 of 1575 Old Yesterday, 06:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by english210 View Post
I'd love a matching center to my 7T's, which to add to the earlier posts about amps, sound wonderful with an Odyssey Stratos
The center is coming. It should be here in the next few months. Klaus makes some excellent amps . And the price is quite reasonable.
post #1572 of 1575 Old Yesterday, 02:35 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Does anyone on this forum have a pair of 20Tv2? Would like to discuss some placement issues I have. Thanks.
post #1573 of 1575 Old Yesterday, 03:03 PM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Class A View Post
Interesting. I used the chart w/my Threshold 90 watt modified Class A mono blocks on my 6's and got 100.8 db. Plenty loud for me in a small room. Also nice to see that Michael finally added the new 6T to his website. By the way the 6 is rated as a 6ohm speaker that will dip to 4ohms.
- was considering similar issues for our 6T's - namely should I look for a higher-power amp for more realistic dynamic range? Is it needed? Did some digging --
Main Points:
1) For typical, even loud, listening, the continuous power needed is very low - a few watts
2) Nothing is linear.
3) Dynamic range varies wildly - most modern music and movies have a limited dynamic range, no more than 10-15 dB. In fact a recent Metallica album had just 3dB (!) of range (see attached chart). Some classical can have 50 dB and a few 'audiophile' versions can reach 70 dB (from various tidbits on the web).

Example: Aerial 6T's
1) 90 dB efficient - 1 Watt of applied power creates 90 dB of sound pressure at 1 meter. (by the way, this is about 40 mW of sound power, so the speakers are about 4% efficient - electrical to sound. Fairly typical).
2) Room Ambient: 50 dB, fairly quiet - no fans, closed door, etc. Again from the web.
3) Desired dynamic range: 55 dB (a 1960's cassette tape range)
4) Seating 2.5 meters (8 ft)
5) calculation is per channel, assuming the loud burst of sound is localized to one speaker.

So:
a) 50+55 dB = 105 dB; 15 dB (31X) over 90 dB, so 31 watts at 1 meter.
b) derate to 2.5 meters: (2.5^2 = 6.25), and 193 (peak) watts are needed. (100 dB requires just 60 watts).
A 100W amp with 3 dB of headroom would do it, but most amps seem to have about 1.5 dB of headroom.

105 dB is very loud, but we are talking about a transient sound.

Of course if you wanted 96 dB of a CD, add another 41 dB, and buy a 2.4 megawatt (peak) amplifier.
As Xiph.org points out this is the difference between a single mosquito somewhere in a (sound-proofed) room and a jack hammer 30 cm from your ear.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dynamic-Range-in-Modern-Music.jpeg.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	322057  
post #1574 of 1575 Old Yesterday, 04:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by clpetersen View Post
- was considering similar issues for our 6T's - namely should I look for a higher-power amp for more realistic dynamic range? Is it needed? Did some digging --
Main Points:
1) For typical, even loud, listening, the continuous power needed is very low - a few watts
2) Nothing is linear.
3) Dynamic range varies wildly - most modern music and movies have a limited dynamic range, no more than 10-15 dB. In fact a recent Metallica album had just 3dB (!) of range (see attached chart). Some classical can have 50 dB and a few 'audiophile' versions can reach 70 dB (from various tidbits on the web).

Example: Aerial 6T's
1) 90 dB efficient - 1 Watt of applied power creates 90 dB of sound pressure at 1 meter. (by the way, this is about 40 mW of sound power, so the speakers are about 4% efficient - electrical to sound. Fairly typical).
2) Room Ambient: 50 dB, fairly quiet - no fans, closed door, etc. Again from the web.
3) Desired dynamic range: 55 dB (a 1960's cassette tape range)
4) Seating 2.5 meters (8 ft)
5) calculation is per channel, assuming the loud burst of sound is localized to one speaker.

So:
a) 50+55 dB = 105 dB; 15 dB (31X) over 90 dB, so 31 watts at 1 meter.
b) derate to 2.5 meters: (2.5^2 = 6.25), and 193 (peak) watts are needed. (100 dB requires just 60 watts).
A 100W amp with 3 dB of headroom would do it, but most amps seem to have about 1.5 dB of headroom.

105 dB is very loud, but we are talking about a transient sound.

Of course if you wanted 96 dB of a CD, add another 41 dB, and buy a 2.4 megawatt (peak) amplifier.
As Xiph.org points out this is the difference between a single mosquito somewhere in a (sound-proofed) room and a jack hammer 30 cm from your ear.
I found high current high bias amps will give you more dynamics. At the time when I purchased these Thresholds I had an Anthem A5. The power in term of watts was higher than the Thresholds but the Thiel 2.3's that I owned at the time came alive when I replaced the Anthem. Recently Ed Fowler who's on this thread added an Odyssey Khartago to his system and found a nice improvement after a couple of days of break in. On Wednesday Audio Video Therapy is giving its annual October Fest. Paul Barton from PSB, Vince Bruzzese from Totem as well as NAD, B&W, Anthem and Linn will be there. A good place to pick up some answers to your question.
post #1575 of 1575 Old Today, 07:02 AM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Class A View Post
I found high current high bias amps will give you more dynamics. At the time when I purchased these Thresholds I had an Anthem A5. The power in term of watts was higher than the Thresholds but the Thiel 2.3's that I owned at the time came alive when I replaced the Anthem. Recently Ed Fowler who's on this thread added an Odyssey Khartago to his system and found a nice improvement after a couple of days of break in. On Wednesday Audio Video Therapy is giving its annual October Fest. Paul Barton from PSB, Vince Bruzzese from Totem as well as NAD, B&W, Anthem and Linn will be there. A good place to pick up some answers to your question.
Hello Class A - I will try to be at AV Therapy. The last round is when I purchased the 6T's --

I suspect the Thresholds have a better peak response than the Anthems. It is all about the dynamics, continuous is easy.
Reply Speakers

Tags
Energy Cc 5 Center Channel Speaker Black

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page