Aerial Acoustics Owners Thread - Page 55 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 15Likes

post #1621 of 1701 Old 12-11-2014, 06:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Thumbs up

Check out this months Stereophile. Big 4 page interview w/Michael Kelly.
ohrbrcko likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1622 of 1701 Old 12-11-2014, 07:40 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Cool...

Are you referring to the January edition?

Michael
McIntosh/Emotiva/SimAudio/Yulong/Aerial Acoustics/Panamax
post #1623 of 1701 Old 12-11-2014, 09:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamaki View Post
Cool...

Are you referring to the January edition?
Yes I just got it in the mail today.
post #1624 of 1701 Old 12-21-2014, 06:51 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all, Does anyone know what the Environment Knob does in actual frequency response terms (eg for the LR3/5's, CC3)? I'm running Dirac room correction curves and have a large dip around 300Hz for the front L, R and Center and not sure if I can fix with different Environment settings. Appreciate if anyone has any insight as its easier to know what the controls are actually doing versus random experimenting.

Many thanks!
ejn1

Last edited by ejn1; 12-21-2014 at 08:07 PM.
post #1625 of 1701 Old 12-24-2014, 03:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1166 Post(s)
Liked: 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejn1 View Post
Hi all, Does anyone know what the Environment Knob does in actual frequency response terms (eg for the LR3/5's, CC3)? I'm running Dirac room correction curves and have a large dip around 300Hz for the front L, R and Center and not sure if I can fix with different Environment settings. Appreciate if anyone has any insight as its easier to know what the controls are actually doing versus random experimenting.
The controls will have no effect at 300 Hz. They are higher frequency adjustments, but I don't have details -- just based on listening.

Sounds like you might have an SBIR thing happening.

Deadwood Atmos theater
AV7702 Atmos 7.4.4, SSP-800 PLIIx 7.4
Aerial Acoustics 7B/CC3B fronts, B&W CWM8180 surrounds, Tannoy Di6 DC heights, Hsu ULS-15 subs
post #1626 of 1701 Old 12-24-2014, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Dressler View Post
The controls will have no effect at 300 Hz. They are higher frequency adjustments, but I don't have details -- just based on listening.

Sounds like you might have an SBIR thing happening.
Thanks Roger, I think you are right about the SBIR. I have added two ASC tube traps to the front left and right corners but my speakers sit on a shelf and fairly near the back wall. See pic. The Dirac EQ has corrected the dips but I would rather fix with room treatments if I can (as long as they are simple enough).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ASC Tubetrap.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	27.8 KB
ID:	438866  
post #1627 of 1701 Old 12-24-2014, 01:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1166 Post(s)
Liked: 505
Quote:
Thanks Roger, I think you are right about the SBIR. I have added two ASC tube traps to the front left and right corners but my speakers sit on a shelf and fairly near the back wall. See pic. The Dirac EQ has corrected the dips but I would rather fix with room treatments if I can (as long as they are simple enough).
I suspect that the most prominent reflection is off the side wall. As a test, find the first reflection point, and put that tube trap at that point to block the reflection. This is all just temporary stuff, so can put it on a chair. See if that affects the response dip. Of course there may also be a reflection from the rear wall, too. Once you find it, then you can plot a strategy.

Deadwood Atmos theater
AV7702 Atmos 7.4.4, SSP-800 PLIIx 7.4
Aerial Acoustics 7B/CC3B fronts, B&W CWM8180 surrounds, Tannoy Di6 DC heights, Hsu ULS-15 subs

Last edited by Roger Dressler; 12-25-2014 at 01:12 AM.
post #1628 of 1701 Old 12-24-2014, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Dressler View Post
I suspect that the most prominent reflection is off the side wall. s a test, find the first reflection point, and put that tube trap at that point to block the reflection. This is all just temporary stuff, so can put it on a chair. See if that affects the response dip. Of course there may also be a reflection from the rear wall, too. Once you find it, then you can plot a strategy.
Thanks Roger, next time i have the mic setup, i will play around with your suggestion.
post #1629 of 1701 Old 01-04-2015, 05:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 265 Post(s)
Liked: 183
First post here, Roger's Deadwood Theater with AA speakers sparked my interest. Have a dedicated 5.1 home theater music room 11.5 x 26 x 7 built to a Rives Audio analysis. Dynaudio Confidence C2 Signature fronts, Dynaudio Confidence center, Confidence C1 rears and 2 Sub 600s. 5 Simaudio Moon 400M amps.
Have never heard any AA speakers so I ask, those of you who have heard them as well as the Dynaudios, how are they different in tone and presentation? Overall, how best to compare the 2 brands?
post #1630 of 1701 Old 01-04-2015, 08:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orbitron View Post
First post here, Roger's Deadwood Theater with AA speakers sparked my interest. Have a dedicated 5.1 home theater music room 11.5 x 26 x 7 built to a Rives Audio analysis. Dynaudio Confidence C2 Signature fronts, Dynaudio Confidence center, Confidence C1 rears and 2 Sub 600s. 5 Simaudio Moon 400M amps.
Have never heard any AA speakers so I ask, those of you who have heard them as well as the Dynaudios, how are they different in tone and presentation? Overall, how best to compare the 2 brands?
I have AA 7t's in my theater waiting to be set up. I recently moved and have not had the time, they sounded very good in my former house. I also own a pair of older Dyn contours that I use in a two channel system. I got a steal on the Dyns used and couldn't pass them up. I would say their tonal balance is similar, rather on the neutral side. I'd say the AA's have better dynamics and soundstaging. I don't know what the Dyns listed at but I think it was probably less than or about half the AA's so it's not a fair fight. Both first rate companies. One thing I will say, I've been looking for speakers that I would (hopefully) never feel the need to upgrade and I believe the AA's have accomplished just that.

post #1631 of 1701 Old 01-12-2015, 09:05 PM

Liked: 76
Hi all,

Any news regarding possibly new AA on wall/ on ceiling speakers? I have a full AA home theater setup and I'll surely move towards one of the newer surround formats like Dolby Atmos and I'd love to stay with AA. The problem is that no current AA speaker can reasonably go on a ceiling, especially a FOSI star ceiling like mine. I hope I don't get stuck mixing my AA speakers with bad sounding cheap junk. Thanks all for any ideas......
post #1632 of 1701 Old 01-13-2015, 01:10 AM

Liked: 18
I've never heard of any plans for in wall/ceiling speakers by Aerial. I'd email Michael Kelly at Aerial and ask him what he'd recommend. He'll probably be able to point you in the right direction.
post #1633 of 1701 Old 01-13-2015, 11:28 PM

I spoke with him a while back and he mentioned new speakers coming out but I suspect now that he was referring to his new large floor standing models. I'd rather not bug him again and wanted to check if anyone here knew anything. It was a long shot but worth a shot.
Anyone know of other brands that might be sonically similar to AA, especially small speakers that can be mounted on the ceiling? Thanks all?
post #1634 of 1701 Old 01-14-2015, 09:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by psychdoc View Post
I spoke with him a while back and he mentioned new speakers coming out but I suspect now that he was referring to his new large floor standing models. I'd rather not bug him again and wanted to check if anyone here knew anything. It was a long shot but worth a shot.
Anyone know of other brands that might be sonically similar to AA, especially small speakers that can be mounted on the ceiling? Thanks all?
Here you go. http://www.aperionaudio.com/speakers...type/surrounds

I've used Aperion surrounds for my ambiance speakers for a while, now. They perform admirably for that duty. They used to offer a veneer that matched my Aerials quite well, and the timbre matched enough to offer a smooth transition. The cost is pretty nice, too. You won't want to spend much more than that on surrounds or Atmos speakers, in any event. It would be a waste.

Lastly, Michael Kelly designed the reasonably priced ERA loudspeakers...a company that lasted a few years before reforming and changing. Here is a look a those speakers. You'll only find them on the used market. They timbre match nicely with Aerials. http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/era/era.html

All the above said...I have not heard the T series AA speakers. They may have an entirely different presentation from the older B models. I suspect not...but caveat emptor all the same. Good luck with your search.

MARGARITAS,
they're not just for breakfast anymore.
post #1635 of 1701 Old 01-14-2015, 12:32 PM

Thanks Mudslide! I look forward to looking at the links...
post #1636 of 1701 Old 01-14-2015, 01:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:

Many thanks!
ejn1

I don't think that Environment knob could correct a dip that low. Anyone pls correct me as needed, but IIRC the 2 controls in the back of my CC5, and I assume CC3 as well, control either treble (the Treble knob) or mid and treble (the Environment knob).

1. For the Environment knob, A (on Speaker Stand) is flat, B (Shelf) has treble and midrange both elevated from flat, and C (In wall) is elevated more than B.
2. For the Treble knob, self explanatory: flat, +1, +2.

I haven't asked Michael (Kelly) what frequency those knobs cover, but 300 hz is at low low mid so I don't think that Environment knob could correct a dip there, and turning it up is also problematic because it would jack up your treble as well.

BTW, for anyone interested, my CC5 is on dedicated speaker stand about 4 ft from front wall, and for that, Michael recommends "flat" for all settings. I would imagine the Environment knob "corrects" for room position, whereas the Treble knob is for listener's taste, or if Environment boost alone is still not enough for certain situation.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	aerial.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	363.8 KB
ID:	478346  

Regards, Can
Theta: Stunning 3D soundstage, sublime details, unlimited dynamics and low end response - the processor for music lovers. My system & CBIII HD review & setup help - Post # 3913 and Diagrams & Surround Speaker Rec. Here
Give vinyl and tube gears a try - the sound from heaven :-).

Last edited by cannga; 01-14-2015 at 01:36 PM.
post #1637 of 1701 Old 01-18-2015, 07:28 AM

Thanks, Not 100% but I think the environment knobs affect mid freq only and I'm not 100% but think they cut mid freq humps that occur near boundaries. just didnt know exactly which frequencies and how much as this could be helpful to better match with the Dirac curves I'm seeing.

Thx!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannga View Post
I don't think that Environment knob could correct a dip that low. Anyone pls correct me as needed, but IIRC the 2 controls in the back of my CC5, and I assume CC3 as well, control either treble (the Treble knob) or mid and treble (the Environment knob).

1. For the Environment knob, A (on Speaker Stand) is flat, B (Shelf) has treble and midrange both elevated from flat, and C (In wall) is elevated more than B.

I haven't asked Michael (Kelly) what frequency those knobs cover, but 300 hz is at low low mid so I don't think that Environment knob could correct a dip there, and turning it up is also problematic because it would jack up your treble as well.

BTW, for anyone interested, my CC5 is on dedicated speaker stand about 4 ft from front wall, and for that, Michael recommends "flat" for all settings. I would imagine the Environment knob "corrects" for room position, whereas the Treble knob is for listener's taste, or if Environment boost alone is still not enough for certain situation.

post #1638 of 1701 Old 01-18-2015, 08:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Thanks, Not 100% but I think the environment knobs affect mid freq only and I'm not 100% but think they cut mid freq humps that occur near boundaries. just didnt know exactly which frequencies and how much as this could be helpful to better match with the Dirac curves I'm seeing.

Thx!

ejn1,

You mentioned Dirac curves; Are you using a Theta CB for your pre/pro?

David Lynch Current Equipment: Marantz AV8801, Proceed HPA3, Parasound HCA-1206, Aerial Acoustics LR5's (LCR), Aerial Acoustics LR3's (sides), RBH in-walls (rears), Seaton Submersive, Marantz VP15s1, 106" Carada BW screen, Oppo BDP-103.
post #1639 of 1701 Old 01-18-2015, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdlynch View Post
ejn1,

You mentioned Dirac curves; Are you using a Theta CB for your pre/pro?
Hi, I'm using the new Emotiva XMC-1 which has a version of Dirac as its room eq...
post #1640 of 1701 Old 01-18-2015, 10:42 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

Hey Cannga,
I see we have almost the same system. I am using the AA 10s, 5s and SR3's, and CC3 all powered by the 3 of the same vintage Aragon Amps.
Just got a kick out of seeing your photo. Very glad that more Blu Ray discs are coming out with a 7.1 audio track.
Steve
post #1641 of 1701 Old 01-18-2015, 10:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thx!

You are very welcome. Just to clarify: I'm certain the Environment knob increases BOTH treble and midrange. It says so on the knob label (click on the second picture that I posted above), and confirmed by Michael Kelly when I spoke to him. The only thing I don't know is the shape (frequency range and amplitude) of that boost. Hope this helps.

Regards, Can
Theta: Stunning 3D soundstage, sublime details, unlimited dynamics and low end response - the processor for music lovers. My system & CBIII HD review & setup help - Post # 3913 and Diagrams & Surround Speaker Rec. Here
post #1642 of 1701 Old 01-18-2015, 11:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve544 View Post
Hey Cannga,
I see we have almost the same system. I am using the AA 10s, 5s and SR3's, and CC3 all powered by the 3 of the same vintage Aragon Amps.
Just got a kick out of seeing your photo. Very glad that more Blu Ray discs are coming out with a 7.1 audio track.
Steve
Hi Steve, ah yes, I love that Aragon 4004, if that's what you are talking about. The Aragon sounds extremely similar to a Krell and could drive speakers with the lowest of impedance. I have had multiple of them too over the years. (The amps on the far side are actually Krell FPB 600 and Classe CA 400.)

I am a huge fan of Aerial Acoustics and its designer, but my system is actually all Thiel, main speakers being Thiel towers. The Thiel MCS center speaker is only of mid size and could not keep up with the towers' dynamics, and that's why I replaced it with the CC5, which is one of the best sounding, most humongous and dynamic center speakers that I have run across.

Regards, Can

Last edited by cannga; 01-18-2015 at 11:19 AM.
post #1643 of 1701 Old 01-18-2015, 11:19 AM

Quote:
You are very welcome. Just to clarify: I'm certain the Environment knob increases BOTH treble and midrange. It says so on the knob label (click on the second picture that I posted above), and confirmed by Michael Kelly when I spoke to him. The only thing I don't know is the shape (frequency range and amplitude) of that boost. Hope this helps.
Thanks Steve. Understand on the second knob for treble it clearly says its boosting. The environment knob doesn't state this (whether its a boost or cut and how much) so wasn't sure. Did Michael Kelly confirm which settings on the environment knob boost what amount (understand the frequencies are a punt at this stage)? Thanks!

Last edited by ejn1; 01-18-2015 at 11:24 AM.
post #1644 of 1701 Old 01-18-2015, 11:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychdoc View Post
Thanks Mudslide! I look forward to looking at the links...
If you go to the Peachtree Web Site they are still selling ERA speakers. The D4, 4.5 and 5. Michael designed the drivers for these bookshelves. They should blend in quite well to your system.
post #1645 of 1701 Old 01-18-2015, 11:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Understand on the second knob for treble it clearly says its boosting. The environment knob does state this so wasn't sure. Are you saying Michael Kelly confirmed the environment knob only boosts mid and the second knob treble? If so, which settings on the environment knob boost what amount? Thanks!
Sorry if I caused any confusion. This is what I know/understand, from my conversation with M. Kelly:
1. Environment knob: boosts midrange AND treble.
2. Treble knob: boosts treble.

I do not know the amount or range of boost of either knob. If you do find out (I think you will have to call Aerial for this info), please post it here; I'm curious.

Regards, Can

Last edited by cannga; 01-18-2015 at 11:44 AM.
post #1646 of 1701 Old 01-18-2015, 02:06 PM

Many thanks and no confusion. Will post if I find out anymore. When I reposition some of my acoustic treatments, I will run Dirac a couple of time with the different knob settings to see the affect it has on the actual in room curves and let you know. Thanks!

Quote:
Sorry if I caused any confusion. This is what I know/understand, from my conversation with M. Kelly:
1. Environment knob: boosts midrange AND treble.
2. Treble knob: boosts treble.

I do not know the amount or range of boost of either knob. If you do find out (I think you will have to call Aerial for this info), please post it here; I'm curious.

post #1647 of 1701 Old 01-18-2015, 04:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudslide View Post
Here you go. http://www.aperionaudio.com/speakers...type/surrounds

I've used Aperion surrounds for my ambiance speakers for a while, now. They perform admirably for that duty. They used to offer a veneer that matched my Aerials quite well, and the timbre matched enough to offer a smooth transition. The cost is pretty nice, too. You won't want to spend much more than that on surrounds or Atmos speakers, in any event. It would be a waste.

Lastly, Michael Kelly designed the reasonably priced ERA loudspeakers...a company that lasted a few years before reforming and changing. Here is a look a those speakers. You'll only find them on the used market. They timbre match nicely with Aerials. http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/era/era.html

All the above said...I have not heard the T series AA speakers. They may have an entirely different presentation from the older B models. I suspect not...but caveat emptor all the same. Good luck with your search.
W/the soft dome tweeter the top end is much more open. The drivers are different and they are easier to drive. It's a more dynamic and faster speaker. Would be a nice addition to your other room where you have your Grand Utopias and D'Agastino amps.
post #1648 of 1701 Old 01-18-2015, 06:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Class A View Post
W/the soft dome tweeter the top end is much more open. The drivers are different and they are easier to drive. It's a more dynamic and faster speaker. Would be a nice addition to your other room where you have your Grand Utopias and D'Agastino amps.
Yeah. Okay, CA. I think you have me confused with somebody who actually has money to burn. Utopias and D'Agastinos indeed. Are you chaffed because your predicted Center T hasn't come out yet?

I was speaking about the ERAs and Aperions timbre matching the older AAs. I'm sure that the T models are superior to the Bs in many ways. Since I haven't heard the Ts, my point was that I had no impression of the potential for timbre matching.

MARGARITAS,
they're not just for breakfast anymore.
post #1649 of 1701 Old 01-18-2015, 07:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Many thanks and no confusion. Will post if I find out anymore. When I reposition some of my acoustic treatments,I will run Dirac a couple of time with the different knob settings to see the affect it has on the actual in room curves and let you know. Thanks!
Sounds very interesting. Do post the result; I am curious.

Regards, Can
post #1650 of 1701 Old 01-18-2015, 08:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudslide View Post
Yeah. Okay, CA. I think you have me confused with somebody who actually has money to burn. Utopias and D'Agastinos indeed. Are you chaffed because your predicted Center T hasn't come out yet?

I was speaking about the ERAs and Aperions timbre matching the older AAs. I'm sure that the T models are superior to the Bs in many ways. Since I haven't heard the Ts, my point was that I had no impression of the potential for timbre matching.
I've been sitting by the phone 24/7 and still no call on the Center. The Peachtree D5 should make a good rear for the T's. The Aperions I've never heard. Next month I'll be adding a Bryston 2.5 amp to my system. As soon as the tax returns come through.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Energy Cc 5 Center Channel Speaker Black

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page