Aerial Acoustics Owners Thread - Page 62 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 39Likes

post #1831 of 1836 Old Today, 04:25 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Class A View Post
Well there are other options. Instead of 10k for speakers you could look at some Theta or ATI amps. Or maybe a Sony 4K VW350E projector. Either item would relieve that itch!!! Just when you think your done with this hobby it drags you back in again.
I have been looking at Pre-Amps/Processors to replace my Marantz 8801. I have been researching the Classe SSP800, Bryston SP3, and the Theta Casablanca. My hesitancy to pull the trigger on one of these is my practical side telling me that there can't possibly be enough difference in sound quality to justify the cost difference

If only I wasn't so eaten up with this expensive hobby....

David Lynch Current Equipment: Marantz AV8801, Proceed HPA3, Parasound HCA-1206, Aerial Acoustics LR5's (LCR), Aerial Acoustics LR3's (sides), RBH in-walls (rears), Seaton Submersive, Marantz VP15s1, 106" Carada BW screen, Oppo BDP-103.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1832 of 1836 Old Today, 04:48 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdlynch View Post
I have been looking at Pre-Amps/Processors to replace my Marantz 8801. I have been researching the Classe SSP800, Bryston SP3, and the Theta Casablanca. My hesitancy to pull the trigger on one of these is my practical side telling me that there can't possibly be enough difference in sound quality to justify the cost difference

If only I wasn't so eaten up with this expensive hobby....
I've never compared my SP3 to a Marantz, so I can't speak for that comparison. I did compare it to an Anthem though (and bought the SP3). It really IS an amazing-sounding pre-pro. If you want on-screen controls, room correction, or other such things though, the SP3 may not be for you. It really is designed to be a pre-amp first, with the additional ability to decode and play DTS/Dolby.
post #1833 of 1836 Old Today, 04:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grit View Post
I've never compared my SP3 to a Marantz, so I can't speak for that comparison. I did compare it to an Anthem though (and bought the SP3). It really IS an amazing-sounding pre-pro. If you want on-screen controls, room correction, or other such things though, the SP3 may not be for you. It really is designed to be a pre-amp first, with the additional ability to decode and play DTS/Dolby.
Thanks Grit.

I failed to mention that I use my system the majority of my time for HT. However, I do like music WHEN I have the time to sit and listen. That is why I wonder if I really need an expensive pre/pro.

I also need room correction; at least for my sub. The new mini dsp ddrc Dirac unit is attractive for that.

I just want to get every last bit of goodness out of my Aerials

David Lynch Current Equipment: Marantz AV8801, Proceed HPA3, Parasound HCA-1206, Aerial Acoustics LR5's (LCR), Aerial Acoustics LR3's (sides), RBH in-walls (rears), Seaton Submersive, Marantz VP15s1, 106" Carada BW screen, Oppo BDP-103.
post #1834 of 1836 Old Today, 05:23 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdlynch View Post
Thanks Grit.

I failed to mention that I use my system the majority of my time for HT. However, I do like music WHEN I have the time to sit and listen. That is why I wonder if I really need an expensive pre/pro.

I also need room correction; at least for my sub. The new mini dsp ddrc Dirac unit is attractive for that.

I just want to get every last bit of goodness out of my Aerials

I researched and debated this for literally two years before making a purchase. For me, I probably use my system 60-70% for HT/television, and 30-40% for music. I do love my movies, but my passion and critical listening is for music. The Aerial's excel at both (I'm waiting for the matching center!!).

If I had two separate systems or was more focused on HT, I'd opt for a Marantz processor myself. There's also a fair number of people who are very happy with the Krell Foundation processor, so it's also maybe worth a look.

While I'm not a fan of room correction for speakers, I have given it some thought for my sub. If you ever get teh Dirac unit, I'd love to hear your thoughts on it.

- Garrett
post #1835 of 1836 Old Today, 07:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 37
I would say if you were into music 1st and foremost then I suspect the Theta would win hands down, it's got some great DACs. Having said that though if your movie future lies with object based sound and you plan on adding heights then forgot about the Bryston, at best any implementation into the SP3 hardware would be limited at best so in reality you would be looking for the successor to that SSP. With a relatively inexpensive piece like the Marantz, if it didn't have the channel count you want you could always just upgrade if the "new" model has more channels and you wouldn't be out a lot of money. If Auro/Atmo/dts:X is your thing though then the Marantz is already off the list because it doesn't' do any of them. The Theta CB IVa and CB E when they come out will do all 3. The CB IV will of course be upgradeable. The Theta also have Dirac for EQ.

post #1836 of 1836 Old Today, 08:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 78
There was a recent article in S&V magazine reviewing the 8802 saying it is much improved over the 8801 for 2 channel listening and is close to the sq of the entry level Krell pre/pro. I have an 8801 and am seriously considering the 8802. As much as I'd like to check out the upper echelon of pre pros, the $$$ scares me off. I also installed Atmos speakers in my new theater and would like to put them to use. I will say I'm pretty pleased with my 8801-Mcintosh MC252-7T combo.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Energy Cc 5 Center Channel Speaker Black