Aerial Acoustics Owners Thread - Page 62 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 40Likes
post #1831 of 1859 Old 08-03-2015, 04:25 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Class A View Post
Well there are other options. Instead of 10k for speakers you could look at some Theta or ATI amps. Or maybe a Sony 4K VW350E projector. Either item would relieve that itch!!! Just when you think your done with this hobby it drags you back in again.
I have been looking at Pre-Amps/Processors to replace my Marantz 8801. I have been researching the Classe SSP800, Bryston SP3, and the Theta Casablanca. My hesitancy to pull the trigger on one of these is my practical side telling me that there can't possibly be enough difference in sound quality to justify the cost difference

If only I wasn't so eaten up with this expensive hobby....

David Lynch Current Equipment: Marantz AV8801, Proceed HPA3, Parasound HCA-1206, Aerial Acoustics LR5's (LCR), Aerial Acoustics LR3's (sides), RBH in-walls (rears), Seaton Submersive, Marantz VP15s1, 106" Carada BW screen, Oppo BDP-103.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1832 of 1859 Old 08-03-2015, 04:48 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdlynch View Post
I have been looking at Pre-Amps/Processors to replace my Marantz 8801. I have been researching the Classe SSP800, Bryston SP3, and the Theta Casablanca. My hesitancy to pull the trigger on one of these is my practical side telling me that there can't possibly be enough difference in sound quality to justify the cost difference

If only I wasn't so eaten up with this expensive hobby....
I've never compared my SP3 to a Marantz, so I can't speak for that comparison. I did compare it to an Anthem though (and bought the SP3). It really IS an amazing-sounding pre-pro. If you want on-screen controls, room correction, or other such things though, the SP3 may not be for you. It really is designed to be a pre-amp first, with the additional ability to decode and play DTS/Dolby.
post #1833 of 1859 Old 08-03-2015, 04:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grit View Post
I've never compared my SP3 to a Marantz, so I can't speak for that comparison. I did compare it to an Anthem though (and bought the SP3). It really IS an amazing-sounding pre-pro. If you want on-screen controls, room correction, or other such things though, the SP3 may not be for you. It really is designed to be a pre-amp first, with the additional ability to decode and play DTS/Dolby.
Thanks Grit.

I failed to mention that I use my system the majority of my time for HT. However, I do like music WHEN I have the time to sit and listen. That is why I wonder if I really need an expensive pre/pro.

I also need room correction; at least for my sub. The new mini dsp ddrc Dirac unit is attractive for that.

I just want to get every last bit of goodness out of my Aerials

David Lynch Current Equipment: Marantz AV8801, Proceed HPA3, Parasound HCA-1206, Aerial Acoustics LR5's (LCR), Aerial Acoustics LR3's (sides), RBH in-walls (rears), Seaton Submersive, Marantz VP15s1, 106" Carada BW screen, Oppo BDP-103.
post #1834 of 1859 Old 08-03-2015, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Thanks Grit.

I failed to mention that I use my system the majority of my time for HT. However, I do like music WHEN I have the time to sit and listen. That is why I wonder if I really need an expensive pre/pro.

I also need room correction; at least for my sub. The new mini dsp ddrc Dirac unit is attractive for that.

I researched and debated this for literally two years before making a purchase. For me, I probably use my system 60-70% for HT/television, and 30-40% for music. I do love my movies, but my passion and critical listening is for music. The Aerial's excel at both (I'm waiting for the matching center!!).

If I had two separate systems or was more focused on HT, I'd opt for a Marantz processor myself. There's also a fair number of people who are very happy with the Krell Foundation processor, so it's also maybe worth a look.

While I'm not a fan of room correction for speakers, I have given it some thought for my sub. If you ever get teh Dirac unit, I'd love to hear your thoughts on it.

- Garrett
post #1835 of 1859 Old 08-03-2015, 07:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 37
I would say if you were into music 1st and foremost then I suspect the Theta would win hands down, it's got some great DACs. Having said that though if your movie future lies with object based sound and you plan on adding heights then forgot about the Bryston, at best any implementation into the SP3 hardware would be limited at best so in reality you would be looking for the successor to that SSP. With a relatively inexpensive piece like the Marantz, if it didn't have the channel count you want you could always just upgrade if the "new" model has more channels and you wouldn't be out a lot of money. If Auro/Atmo/dts:X is your thing though then the Marantz is already off the list because it doesn't' do any of them. The Theta CB IVa and CB E when they come out will do all 3. The CB IV will of course be upgradeable. The Theta also have Dirac for EQ.

post #1836 of 1859 Old 08-03-2015, 08:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 83
There was a recent article in S&V magazine reviewing the 8802 saying it is much improved over the 8801 for 2 channel listening and is close to the sq of the entry level Krell pre/pro. I have an 8801 and am seriously considering the 8802. As much as I'd like to check out the upper echelon of pre pros, the $$$ scares me off. I also installed Atmos speakers in my new theater and would like to put them to use. I will say I'm pretty pleased with my 8801-Mcintosh MC252-7T combo.
smurraybhm likes this.

post #1837 of 1859 Old 08-07-2015, 08:55 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Looking for a little help regarding the 7t's, I put a level on the back of the speaker and it clearly indicates that the front needs to be raised but in order to make it level with reference to the back the front feet are almost completely out make it very unstable. I know the top has a very pronounced slant downward, can anyone tell me if the speaker itself is mounted the base with a lean forward, I know my floor is not that bad so if they are meant to be out of level if referencing the back of the speaker.
post #1838 of 1859 Old 08-07-2015, 03:02 PM

Sorry, I don't know the answer.

Are you worried that the drivers point down at an angle? I'm pretty certain the front of the speaker is perpendicular at 90 degrees to the base. I believe the top slope is aesthetic.
post #1839 of 1859 Old 08-08-2015, 08:55 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Replying late to this. I don't think you're lacking much either. I was chasing better power when I had an all Aerial and in retrospect, I don't think it matters much between the quality of amps you're talking about. Have a chat with Michael Kelly if you ever get a chance. It's unfair to ask him when amps to use as it puts him in an impossible position. But go see what dealers use for demos when he's there, and what kind of power they're running.

You have great equipment. If you get new/better amps, I suspect you'll hear a difference. I think it's questionable if it's really there. I went up the amp chain for my LCR speakers and was positive it made a difference, especially for music. My wife, who has better ears, never heard any difference. "What do you want me to say?" was the response she finally gave me. She loved that HT and thought it sounded amazing. Amps made no perceptible difference to her. Speaker location, room treatment, and some EQ made a difference she could hear. I am sure you know all this, but just wanted to give you another Aerial owner's perspective.

If you get something new feel free to send me that crappy Proceed amp.

Quote:
Class A, Thanks for your comments and the heads-up on the Krell.

To be perfectly honest, I don't feel I am lacking much of anything with my current system. The only reason I am considering a change is due to the age of my Proceed HPA3 and a lack of service in case it fails.

So many people have commented that the Aerials need a lot of current and power to reach their potential. Even though I am totally impressed with their present performance I can't help but wonder if there is still more improvement to be had with the right amp.

Happy Father's Day!
Replying late to this

Rip
post #1840 of 1859 Old 08-08-2015, 03:28 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Wasn't really concerned about it, all i know is that by raising up the fronts to make them level with respect to the back of the speaker sure messed up the sound quality, the imaging went for a complete crap, so i put them back down where the were and all is right in the world again.
post #1841 of 1859 Old 08-09-2015, 09:43 AM

A few items in one post. Want to thank MK for his reasonable and rational response. The response about $10K vs. $13K... don't even know what to say. When each of us run our own speaker company we can make a choice about COO for parts and price points. Every business person has to be competitive to stay in business. My own, very limited experience with Mr. Kelly is that he's a straight shooter and one of the best people in the audio business.

And now, unfortunately, a question that may be offensive to Mr. Kelly: what are you guys doing for speakers in > 7.1 systems. I'm looking at new pre-amps with Atmos/DTS:X and will of course want more speakers eventually. My wife is not going to live with 2-3 pairs of 5s on the front wall. Is there an in-wall option or small on-wall option that gets close in terms of timbre match?

Quote:
I Love my current arrangement with three identical LR5's; Its too bad I couldn't fit a third 7t below my screen for my center channel.
Curious about an LR5 for the center rather than a CC5?

Rip

Last edited by RippyD; 08-09-2015 at 04:09 PM.
post #1842 of 1859 Old 08-09-2015, 06:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by RippyD View Post
A few items in one post. Want to thank MK for his reasonable and rational response. The response about $10K vs. $13K... don't even know what to say. When each of us run our own speaker company we can make a choice about COO for parts and price points. Every business person has to be competitive to stay in business. My own, very limited experience with Mr. Kelly is that he's a straight shooter and one of the best people in the audio business.

And now, unfortunately, a question that may be offensive to Mr. Kelly: what are you guys doing for speakers in > 7.1 systems. I'm looking at new pre-amps with Atmos/DTS:X and will of course want more speakers eventually. My wife is not going to live with 2-3 pairs of 5s on the front wall. Is there an in-wall option or small on-wall option that gets close in terms of timbre match?

Michael is currently working on new on wall rears along w/7T on walls for the front and an on wall center. I give up on predicting when Aerial products are coming to market but they are being developed.
post #1843 of 1859 Old 08-09-2015, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Michael is currently working on new on wall rears along w/7T on walls for the front and an on wall center. I give up on predicting when Aerial products are coming to market but they are being developed.
I read that earlier. I'm thinking I need/want smaller satellites for the front surrounds. I know the wife wants in-walls or the smallest possible speakers. She'll put up with sides and rears, but 2-4 more up front and I'm really pushing her limit.

Will have to see how the Aerial rears look. Something smaller than 5s would be nice.

Rip
post #1844 of 1859 Old 08-09-2015, 08:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Thanks Grit.

I just received and set up my 8802. There is a Marantz authorized online dealer selling them refurbished with a factory warranty for about 60% of retail. Marantz will still do the upgrade to the 8802a on these, you just pay shipping. I have not had a whole lot of time with it yet but I do notice some improvement in 2 channel detail over the 8801.

post #1845 of 1859 Old 08-10-2015, 04:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
The CC5 is actually the exact same cabinet/driver/crossovers as the LR5, except that the CC5 is offered in a horizontal (compromised) arrangement to accommodate the installation requirements of those installing it below or above their display.

If given the choice the LR5 is the better option as a vertically arranged speaker gives the best dispersion pattern. Also, it allows me to have identical speakers for LCR.

post #1846 of 1859 Old 08-10-2015, 08:42 AM

Quote:
If given the choice the LR5 is the better option as a vertically arranged speaker gives the best dispersion pattern. Also, it allows me to have identical speakers for LCR.
Got it. You use the LR5 because it's works better and you can. I knew this, but had forgotten that centers are horizontal not because it's better sounding but because it works in more home situations. I still have hard tv in the center of my HT. (Go away from this for 10 years and some cobwebs settle in.)

Rip
post #1847 of 1859 Old 08-10-2015, 12:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Got it. You use the LR5 because it's works better and you can. I knew this, but had forgotten that centers are horizontal not because it's better sounding but because it works in more home situations. I still have hard tv in the center of my HT. (Go away from this for 10 years and some cobwebs settle in.)
No worries; I completely understand the cobwebs. I used to be knowledgable of projectors, but, now that I am considering a replacement I realize I have no idea of what's best with the latest technologies and models. It's been nearly ten years since I was in that market.

post #1848 of 1859 Old 08-21-2015, 09:47 PM
Advanced Member

The 5T is coming.....

post #1849 of 1859 Old 08-21-2015, 11:02 PM

Wait, what happened to the 7CC (center channel)??
post #1850 of 1859 Old 08-22-2015, 04:41 AM
AVS Special Member

I think it's safe to say that if you want a speaker company that churns out new models at every turn, you might want to look elsewhere "we will sell no speaker before it's time" should be MK's motto

post #1851 of 1859 Old 08-22-2015, 05:23 AM

Michael Kelly was working on the 7CC before there was any menntion of the 5T. And the 7CC was initially slated to be released about a year ago. Some dealers even took pre-orders for an expected shipping date DURING 2014.

I'm certainly NOT looking for a speaker company that churns out new models for the sake of doing so. I love my 7T's and I'm enthusiastic about a matching center channel. Since Michael Kelly was testing a version of the center about 9-12 months ago, being curious about the center channel when news of a speaker that was designed and worked on AFTER the center seemed a reasonable question.

And I applaud Mr. Kelly's pursuit of perfection. I'm just eager for some news.
post #1852 of 1859 Old 08-22-2015, 06:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Thumbs up

I remember seeing the cabinet for the center over a year ago. It seems that the center went into the Twilight Zone. If you go to the AV Therapy facebook page May 6 Hi Fi Harmony you can see 2 pictures of the 5T. Just scroll through the pictures and you'll find the closeups. I'm not so good at transferring pictures so maybe someone can bring the pix to this thread so everyone can get a look.
post #1853 of 1859 Old 08-22-2015, 07:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Wait, what happened to the 7CC (center channel)??
The 7CC is coming too. However, no good wine is served before its time Aerial Acoustics has not earned their stellar accolades by rushing to market with products that do not meet Michael Kelly's standards of performance and excellence.

I am expecting a slow roll-out of Aerial's new speakers beginning with the 5T's.

Drum roll please.....

post #1854 of 1859 Old 08-22-2015, 10:03 PM

Quote:
I remember seeing the cabinet for the center over a year ago. It seems that the center went into the Twilight Zone. If you go to the AV Therapy facebook page May 6 Hi Fi Harmony you can see 2 pictures of the 5T. Just scroll through the pictures and you'll find the closeups. I'm not so good at transferring pictures so maybe someone can bring the pix to this thread so everyone can get a look.
I don't want to repost someone else's photos. AV Therapy deserves the nod. Here's a link to the 5T prototype in their Facebook photo gallery:
https://www.facebook.com/11764886508...type=1&theater

Last edited by Grit; 08-22-2015 at 10:05 PM. Reason: AVS Forum borked up the shortened URL, so I changed it to the full URL.
post #1855 of 1859 Old 08-23-2015, 05:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
I don't want to repost someone else's photos. AV Therapy deserves the nod. Here's a link to the 5T prototype in their Facebook photo gallery:
https://www.facebook.com/11764886508...type=1&theater
Fantastic thanks for the posting. Apparently the cabinets came in so they should be out soon. The hang up was Michael wasn't fully satisfied w/the crossover.
post #1856 of 1859 Old Today, 12:24 PM

I'm looking at getting a pair of used 7s (the original ones) for fronts in my HT. They're not a perfect match with the CC3, but they're pretty close. How close can I get these to a wall? Anybody ever stuff the port of a 7? Besides bass, will I lose anything?

What I really need are a pair of used 6s or LR3s. But both are hard to come by. And the 7 seems to match better with the CC3 than the 6.

I get that the 7B is better, and that the 7T is dramatically better. But rebuilding an HT on a budget. The 7 is still a fantastic speaker, if perhaps a tad laid back. If I end up buying these it will be the 3rd pair of 7s I have owned (one pair were 7B).

Rip
post #1857 of 1859 Old Today, 02:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
I'm looking at getting a pair of used 7s (the original ones) for fronts in my HT. They're not a perfect match with the CC3, but they're pretty close. How close can I get these to a wall? Anybody ever stuff the port of a 7? Besides bass, will I lose anything?

What I really need are a pair of used 6s or LR3s. But both are hard to come by. And the 7 seems to match better with the CC3 than the 6.

I get that the 7B is better, and that the 7T is dramatically better. But rebuilding an HT on a budget. The 7 is still a fantastic speaker, if perhaps a tad laid back. If I end up buying these it will be the 3rd pair of 7s I have owned (one pair were 7B).
I have a pair of 6's w/a CC-3 and the match is very good. I'm using 5's for the rears and everything matches very well. I saw a pair of 7's at a local dealers about 6 months ago for $350. Also a pair of Lr-5's w/stands for $2100. To big for my room. If I see any used Aerial speakers I'll give a shout out.
post #1858 of 1859 Unread Today, 08:07 PM

Quote:
I have a pair of 6's w/a CC-3 and the match is very good. I'm using 5's for the rears and everything matches very well. I saw a pair of 7's at a local dealers about 6 months ago for $350. Also a pair of Lr-5's w/stands for $2100. To big for my room. If I see any used Aerial speakers I'll give a shout out.
A pair of 7s for $350 is crazy! I had a pair of 6s that sounded great. The footprint and forward facing port on the 6s is hard to beat. Unfortunately mine were damaged in shipping. I had to give them to FedEx to get the insurance. They are now surprisingly hard to find. I'd like some LR3s if one of you guys wants to give up a pair. If I can't find 6s or 7s that are affordable I'll look for a pair of 5s. They have the advantage of being easily wall mountable (at least the black ones).

Rip
post #1859 of 1859 Unread Today, 08:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
I hope you scooped those 7's up at that price.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Energy Cc 5 Center Channel Speaker Black