Aerial Acoustics Owners Thread - Page 67 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 68Likes

Old 05-19-2016, 11:07 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Thanks for the info! I guess I'll stop waiting for dedicated Aerial surrounds. Thanks for pointing out the Paradigm's for surround duty. I currently have B&W's (leftover from when I had B&W diamonds on the front 3), and I really don't love how they sound with my Aerial 7T's and 7CC, so I'll gladly take any input anyone can offer.

What's the "Special" in the "Special Edition 7T"??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2016, 05:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Class A View Post
I saw Michael Kelly tonight at Audio/Video Therapy's annual spring show. He featured the 5T's and the on wall 7T LCR's. If you are hoping for on-wall rears from Aerial they are not on the to-do list. He basically said any quality on-wall and ceiling speaker would suffice. W/tonight's demo he had his front 3 Aerials mixed w/Paradigm ceiling & rear speakers. The sound was excellent. But there was a bunch of new news. By the end of the year he will release the 12T which will run about $20,000 and a new 25T which will be around 30-35,000. There will also be a special 25T w/a concrete head. They are currently working on a new state of the art Beryllium Tweeter for the 25T. Also when these 2 projects are done he will design a Special Edition 7T. The bass response for the 12T will be around 25Hz and the 25T 20Hz. There were a lot of excellent demos including Jadis, Chord, Anthem, Yamaha, and Linn to name a few. Lot's of fun.
Let's see, if I push off retirement for a few more years I can get the 25T's. Might be worth it. Michael Kelly, you are killing me!

Old 05-20-2016, 05:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked: 221
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grit View Post
Thanks for the info! I guess I'll stop waiting for dedicated Aerial surrounds. Thanks for pointing out the Paradigm's for surround duty. I currently have B&W's (leftover from when I had B&W diamonds on the front 3), and I really don't love how they sound with my Aerial 7T's and 7CC, so I'll gladly take any input anyone can offer.

What's the "Special" in the "Special Edition 7T"??
He wasn't specific on the upgrades. The 12T will have an upgraded tweeter so that might be on one improvement. Usually lower bass too. But that's speculation on my part. By the way both speakers, the 12T & the 25T will be rated at 90db. The 25T w/the concrete head really is interesting.
Old 06-06-2016, 05:18 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 61
In 2-3 weeks I should have my new Datasat LS10 and RA7300 amplifier set-up with My Aerial speakers. I will not have my room set-up yet for Atmos, but, I do plan to have DIRAC calibrated. If anyone is close to Louisville and would like to stop in just let me know!

Current Equipment: Datasat LS10 w/ Atmos and DIRAC. Datasat RA7300, Aerial Acoustics LR5's (LCR), Aerial Acoustics LR3's (sides), RBH in-walls (rears), Seaton Submersive, Marantz VP15s1, 106" Carada BW screen, Oppo BDP-103.
knobstoneaudio.com
Old 06-06-2016, 07:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdlynch View Post
In 2-3 weeks I should have my new Datasat LS10 and RA7300 amplifier set-up with My Aerial speakers. I will not have my room set-up yet for Atmos, but, I do plan to have DIRAC calibrated. If anyone is close to Louisville and would like to stop in just let me know!
Congratulations!! Your moving up to the high end neighborhood. Are you having it professionally installed?? It'll take you to a totally new movie experience. Enjoy!!
Old 06-07-2016, 08:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I guess that Aerial no longer has a "matching" CC speaker for their lineup any more. Before, the CC3B was the perfect match the the 7B and the CC5 was the perfect match the the LR5 and the Model 9. The CC3C or the 7CC doesn't have the same drivers as the 7T, specifically the midrange driver. I wonder how well a HT system will match up with the new line up as opposed to the older one... Anyone have any input?

you can see the specs for each here: http://aerialacoustics.com/portfolio/
Old 06-07-2016, 10:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrunr View Post
I guess that Aerial no longer has a "matching" CC speaker for their lineup any more. Before, the CC3B was the perfect match the the 7B and the CC5 was the perfect match the the LR5 and the Model 9. The CC3C or the 7CC doesn't have the same drivers as the 7T, specifically the midrange driver. I wonder how well a HT system will match up with the new line up as opposed to the older one... Anyone have any input?

you can see the specs for each here: http://aerialacoustics.com/portfolio/
Jrunr,

Aerial's 7CC actually does use the same driver technology as the 6T and 7T. Think of the 7CC as a 7t on its side with a smaller cabinet volume. The sonic match is perfect for the main channels in a home theater.

Another option is three of the 7LCR speakers across the front. This would give you identical LCR speakers. These are very installation friendly as they can be installed vertically or horizontally. The midrange/tweeter housing can be rotated accordingly. These do not have the bass extension of the 6t, 7t, or 7cc, but if using a subwoofer you will have an excellent system.

My still favorite option is three LR5's used as LCR. The LR5 has identical specs to the CC5 arranged vertically instead of horizontally.

With today's use of object oriented surround modes the 5t is an excellent side and rear channel choice.

Current Equipment: Datasat LS10 w/ Atmos and DIRAC. Datasat RA7300, Aerial Acoustics LR5's (LCR), Aerial Acoustics LR3's (sides), RBH in-walls (rears), Seaton Submersive, Marantz VP15s1, 106" Carada BW screen, Oppo BDP-103.
knobstoneaudio.com

Last edited by jdlynch; 06-07-2016 at 04:46 PM.
Old 06-07-2016, 04:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Congratulations!! Your moving up to the high end neighborhood. Are you having it professionally installed?? It'll take you to a totally new movie experience. Enjoy!!
I will be setting up the LS10 by myself. The DIRAC calibration will be done initially by a trained professional.

knobstoneaudio.com
Old 06-07-2016, 05:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I didn't realize Aerial was in my backyard. 10 minutes from where I work. Maybe they need IT help

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 06-07-2016, 07:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Jrunr,

Aerial's 7CC actually does use the same driver technology as the 6T and 7T. Think of the 7CC as a 7t on its side with a smaller cabinet volume. The sonic match is perfect for the main channels in a home theater.

Another option is three of the 7LCR speakers across the front. This would give you identical LCR speakers. These are very installation friendly as they can be installed vertically or horizontally. The midrange/tweeter housing can be rotated accordingly. These do not have the bass extension of the 6t, 7t, or 7cc, but if using a subwoofer you will have an excellent system.

My still favorite option is three LR5's used as LCR. The LR5 has identical specs to the CC5 arranged vertically instead of horizontally.

With today's use of object oriented surround modes the 5t is an excellent side and rear channel choice.
I remember the CC5 using the exact same driver compliment as the LR5. The same woofer size, midrange size, and tweeter. In the new line, all of the speaker sizes are different (except the tweet) which has to be a different sound. The woofers range from 6.1" to 7.1" and the midrange are also varied sizes so I assume there has to be sonic differences. At least that is how it makes sense to me...

The 7LCR looks awesome, but what am I losing out on if I go with an on wall speaker like that? The imaging? That was one of my favorite aspects of the Model 9. It seems to throw an image a mile deep...

Maybe I'm totally over thinking all of this and there is no difference with the different size drivers. (Actually, I really hope I am wrong!!)

Thanks for the input. I love the Aerial sound!

Last edited by Jrunr; 06-07-2016 at 07:28 PM.
Old 06-08-2016, 03:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I remember the CC5 using the exact same driver compliment as the LR5. The same woofer size, midrange size, and tweeter. In the new line, all of the speaker sizes are different (except the tweet) which has to be a different sound. The woofers range from 6.1" to 7.1" and the midrange are also varied sizes so I assume there has to be sonic differences. At least that is how it makes sense to me...

The 7LCR looks awesome, but what am I losing out on if I go with an on wall speaker like that? The imaging? That was one of my favorite aspects of the Model 9. It seems to throw an image a mile deep...

Maybe I'm totally over thinking all of this and there is no difference with the different size drivers. (Actually, I really hope I am wrong!!)

Thanks for the input. I love the Aerial sound!

Jrunr,

Michael Kelly designed and voiced the 7CC to match perfectly with the 5t, 6t and 7t. The tweeter, which is the most important component when matching speakers for HT, is exactly the same. The midrange and woofers are smaller, but, use the same material with the same tonal qualities. The match is nearly perfect. If your desire is the exact same speaker across your front three channels then I suggest you not even consider the 7CC, but, rather go with three 7t's or three LR5's.

The 7LCR is an excellent design which can be mounted on wall, in wall, or stand mounted. On wall mounting does affect speaker performance, but Aerial has added adjustment switches to compensate for boundary conditions depending on how they are mounted.

Aerial continues to be a frontrunner in speaker design for audio and home theater.
nerdkiller and Class A like this.

knobstoneaudio.com
Old 06-09-2016, 09:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Jrunr,

Michael Kelly designed and voiced the 7CC to match perfectly with the 5t, 6t and 7t. The tweeter, which is the most important component when matching speakers for HT, is exactly the same. The midrange and woofers are smaller, but, use the same material with the same tonal qualities. The match is nearly perfect. If your desire is the exact same speaker across your front three channels then I suggest you not even consider the 7CC, but, rather go with three 7t's or three LR5's.

The 7LCR is an excellent design which can be mounted on wall, in wall, or stand mounted. On wall mounting does affect speaker performance, but Aerial has added adjustment switches to compensate for boundary conditions depending on how they are mounted.

Aerial continues to be a frontrunner in speaker design for audio and home theater.
Ok. I am just stuck on the old stuff I guess. I just can't seem how he could make a CC speaker that is better and more dynamic than the CC5 in a significantly smaller speaker...

But, I have not listened to it so I guess it's very possible. After all, people are saying the 7T is more dynamic than the model 9. If this is the case, then I can't wait to hear it! Very exciting stuff here!!! 👍😃
Old 06-09-2016, 09:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Ok. I am just stuck on the old stuff I guess. I just can't seem how he could make a CC speaker that is better and more dynamic than the CC5 in a significantly smaller speaker...

But, I have not listened to it so I guess it's very possible. After all, people are saying the 7T is more dynamic than the model 9. If this is the case, then I can't wait to hear it! Very exciting stuff here!!! 👍😃
First of all he changed the Tweeter to a soft dome design. Gives the T speakers a more open and detailed sound. He also improved on the driver design to. You get a tighter bottom. Also about a month ago Michael gave a demo of the new on wall speakers at Audio/Video Therapy. He had the 7CC as the center. The soundstage was seamless. Down the road he has the 12T and 25T coming out maybe he'll decide that a bigger center will be needed for those models.
Old 06-09-2016, 09:53 AM
Advanced Member

The trade-off with the 7LCR and the 7CC when compared to the LR5/CC5 is bass extension. You need to crossover at 60hz. However, that is not really an issue since you are most likely using a subwoofer or two anyway. What you get in return is a much smaller and room friendly cabinet and improved sound quality because of the new driver design. Also, you can use less powerful amps since they are not as difficult to drive. Once we get these get into a few home theaters I expect them to be a big hit.

knobstoneaudio.com
Old 07-11-2016, 01:53 PM
AVS Special Member

psychdoc congrats on your AVS HT of the month. Took a lot of hard work to build that magnificent HT. I'm still in awe of those 5T's hanging from the ceiling. Michael Kelly would probably be interested on how you installed them. I'm sure you and your family will enjoy this room for many years.
psychdoc likes this.
Old 07-11-2016, 03:38 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by psychdoc View Post
As promised, here are my final pics that feature lots and lots of fantastic Aerial Acoustic speakers. How does it sound? AMAZING!!!

Aerial Acoustics 20T Mains in birds-eye-maple
Aerial Acoustics CC5 center speaker in Birds-eye-maple
Aerial Acoustics LR5 (Wides)
Aerial Acoustics 5B
Aerial Acoustics SW12 subwoofer X 4 in Birds-eye-maple (1 in each corner)
Aerial Acoustics SR3 surrounds
Aerial Acoustics 5T ceiling surrounds X 3 pair

Ok, Here are the final pictures. Without further ado:

This picture was taken from the double mahogany doors, right in front of the two racks

The ceiling speakers are Aerial Acoustic 5B's (2) at the rear of the room and the new Aerial Acoustics 5T (6) clearly visible on the ceiling

The double, gasket sealed, Mahogany doors are both shown in the background

Four Bryston amps with 12 channels of amplification and one Parasound amp with 5 channels

Kaleidescape Premier system, Torus Power, Panamax UPS, Control4, Marantz (to be upgraded to likely Trinnov Altitude), Pakedge, Oppo and more...

ISCO Anamorphic lens on a Cineslide and a Sony VPL VW1100ES (upgraded) 4K projector

Please remember, the wide angle lens makes the screen look small, it's actually pretty big (11.5 ft wide)

Aerial Acoustics CC5 center channel, Aerial Acoustics SW12 subs (absolutely amazing, deep bass), and the Aerial Acoustics flagship speaker 20T... those ribbon tweeters are simply amazing! All speakers in rare Bird's-eye Maple. Even better looking up close

I went overkill with my "wide" speakers with Aerial Acoustics LR5's. These are utilized as main L/R speakers in many systems.

All I can say is 'Just beautiful', that and 'I'm jealous as all get out'.
psychdoc likes this.
Old 07-28-2016, 01:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I saw Michael Kelly tonight at Audio/Video Therapy's annual spring show. He featured the 5T's and the on wall 7T LCR's. If you are hoping for on-wall rears from Aerial they are not on the to-do list. He basically said any quality on-wall and ceiling speaker would suffice. W/tonight's demo he had his front 3 Aerials mixed w/Paradigm ceiling & rear speakers. The sound was excellent. But there was a bunch of new news. By the end of the year he will release the 12T which will run about $20,000 and a new 25T which will be around 30-35,000. There will also be a special 25T w/a concrete head. They are currently working on a new state of the art Beryllium Tweeter for the 25T. Also when these 2 projects are done he will design a Special Edition 7T. The bass response for the 12T will be around 25Hz and the 25T 20Hz. There were a lot of excellent demos including Jadis, Chord, Anthem, Yamaha, and Linn to name a few. Lot's of fun.
Do you really think that these new models will be out by the end of the year? Or will it only be one new model by then?
Old 07-28-2016, 05:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Do you really think that these new models will be out by the end of the year? Or will it only be one new model by then?
That's what he stated at the demo. However as many of us long term Aerial owner's know many of Michael's predictions can be taken w/a grain of salt. He is a constant tweaker. He will never release a speaker until he's 100% satisfied. He feels that you do it once and do it right. That's why you don't see multiple versions of his models.
Old 08-22-2016, 04:01 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Hey guys,

5Ts vs 6Ts, is it worth the $2200 premium? Due to where I live, better bass response isn't a good thing so if that's the only thing the 6T would offer I couldn't take advantage of it.

Theta Digital/MartinLogan/Sony ES/
Old 08-22-2016, 04:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinlg View Post
Hey guys,

5Ts vs 6Ts, is it worth the $2200 premium? Due to where I live, better bass response isn't a good thing so if that's the only thing the 6T would offer I couldn't take advantage of it.

I like the 6t's because they are able to provide more dynamics. Even when the 5t's were combined with a subwoofer I heard considerably more mid-bass with the 6t's.

Another consideration is the price of quality stands for the 5t's. Add those and the difference in price between the speakers is less.

knobstoneaudio.com
Old 08-23-2016, 11:13 AM

Quote:
I like the 6t's because they are able to provide more dynamics. Even when the 5t's were combined with a subwoofer I heard considerably more mid-bass with the 6t's.

Another consideration is the price of quality stands for the 5t's. Add those and the difference in price between the speakers is less.
I agree, I have quality stands at the moment and I'm between a really weird comparison. I was actually between the 805 D3, 5Ts, and Olympica Is. The D3s were ruled out after auditioning them against the 5Ts so now it's between the two.

Oddly enough I thought the 5Ts were $7000 but then I find out they're almost half that which made them very appealing and almost an instant winner. I need to find another Magnolia that has Sonus to audition them once more but I almost feel like at this point it's between the 5Ts and the 6Ts. I can audition them both easily so I'll be doing some critical listening between the two. I'll listen closely to the mid-bass you mentioned.

Thanks

Old 08-23-2016, 12:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinlg View Post
I agree, I have quality stands at the moment and I'm between a really weird comparison. I was actually between the 805 D3, 5Ts, and Olympica Is. The D3s were ruled out after auditioning them against the 5Ts so now it's between the two.

Oddly enough I thought the 5Ts were $7000 but then I find out they're almost half that which made them very appealing and almost an instant winner. I need to find another Magnolia that has Sonus to audition them once more but I almost feel like at this point it's between the 5Ts and the 6Ts. I can audition them both easily so I'll be doing some critical listening between the two. I'll listen closely to the mid-bass you mentioned.

Thanks

Kevin,

I've never had the opportunity to listen to the Olympicas, but I have heard the 805D3's many times in many different systems. I find the Aerials to be much more pleasing to my tastes. Are you building a home theater audio system or a two-channel system for music only?

knobstoneaudio.com
Old 08-23-2016, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Kevin,

I've never had the opportunity to listen to the Olympicas, but I have heard the 805D3's many times in many different systems. I find the Aerials to be much more pleasing to my tastes. Are you building a home theater audio system or a two-channel system for music only?
I agree! The 805s sound great but were a bit fatiguing at times. I'll be using them for a 5.1 hybrid system now I'm building a home next February which will finally allow me to have a dedicated theatre (5.2.4 B&W CT theatre) and I'll be putting these in my office for 2 channel listening. That's why the bookshelves are making more sense to me.

Old 08-23-2016, 05:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 115
I was on an extended work trip in California over the winter. I spent my off time going to as many high end audio dealers as I could. I have a pair of 7T's myself and am completely satisfied with them but always like to check others out. I heard; B&W, Paradigm, Martin Logan, Wilson Audio, T+A, Sonus Faber along with a few others. I also got to heat the 5 and 6T's for the first time. After hearing all those speakers (some of them sounded very good to great, some meh) IMO the Aerials had the best all around sound dollar for dollar, pound for pound. I thought the 5T's were amazing for their size but the 6T's would be my choice. I would not be concerned about the bass response right now, there are ways to resolve that issue. If you do ever relocate to a place where it's not an issue, you are all set.
jdlynch and nerdkiller like this.

Old 08-29-2016, 08:35 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 178
Quote:
psychdoc congrats on your AVS HT of the month. Took a lot of hard work to build that magnificent HT. I'm still in awe of those 5T's hanging from the ceiling. Michael Kelly would probably be interested on how you installed them. I'm sure you and your family will enjoy this room for many years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve544 View Post
All I can say is 'Just beautiful', that and 'I'm jealous as all get out'.

Very kind of both of you. I didn't see your posts until today. I had a few email exchanges a while back with Michael Kelly and he initially asked to use my theater on some of his Aerial sites. Not sure if he changed his mind or just hasn't gotten around to it or something else. No worries about any of it, though. I enjoy the speakers very much and being chosen as Home Theater of the Month was a great final chapter to what was a multi-year adventure in designing and creating my theater.

I don't see myself upgrading from the 20Ts until they fall apart but on the next home theater project (if I ever move) the rest of the speakers might change if there are better options specific for the project. I don't plan to change simply for change sake, however.

I look forward to reading more reviews here on Aerial's latest offerings...

Thanks again!
Old 09-01-2016, 05:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychdoc View Post
Very kind of both of you. I didn't see your posts until today. I had a few email exchanges a while back with Michael Kelly and he initially asked to use my theater on some of his Aerial sites. Not sure if he changed his mind or just hasn't gotten around to it or something else. No worries about any of it, though. I enjoy the speakers very much and being chosen as Home Theater of the Month was a great final chapter to what was a multi-year adventure in designing and creating my theater.

I don't see myself upgrading from the 20Ts until they fall apart but on the next home theater project (if I ever move) the rest of the speakers might change if there are better options specific for the project. I don't plan to change simply for change sake, however.

I look forward to reading more reviews here on Aerial's latest offerings.

Thanks again!
Your at a point where any improvement will not be that dramatic. I think your biggest challenge is finding decent movies for your HT. But to put one evil thought in your mind the new Bryston Cubed series are worth an audition. To quote Michael Corleone "Just when I thought I was out they drag me back in".
Old 09-16-2016, 03:49 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuzzy View Post
I didn't realize Aerial was in my backyard. 10 minutes from where I work. Maybe they need IT help

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Yes- they do. Their online contact form does not work for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
Energy Cc 5 Center Channel Speaker Black