post #181 of 1623 Old 04-09-2009, 07:22 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by KX250F View Post

I got the Aerial 20T's and all I can say is WOW what a big difference.

If those are v2s it's, what, a $20,000 difference?

My own tale is one of woe. I found a pristine CC5 and Sound Anchor stand for sale just down the road from me at a very fair price the other day and when I broached it with the wife she asked: "What's wrong with the CC3? It already sounds fantastic!" And verily there was little I could say to that ...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 1623 Old 04-09-2009, 08:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Welcome, Andrew.

Here's hoping you bring new life to this thread as well as to the website.

MARGARITAS,
they're not just for breakfast anymore.
post #183 of 1623 Old 04-09-2009, 08:53 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbrother52 View Post

I think you'd definitely notice "a big difference". Absolutely stunning!
Congratulations to you on your purchase, I'm jealous.

Thanks bb52.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopstretch View Post

If those are v2s it's, what, a $20,000 difference?

My own tale is one of woe. I found a pristine CC5 and Sound Anchor stand for sale just down the road from me at a very fair price the other day and when I broached it with the wife she asked: "What's wrong with the CC3? It already sounds fantastic!" And verily there was little I could say to that ...

Thanks Hopstretch. Hang in there buddy. I personally use the bribing system but in this case for some reason I got a free pass. I know this will come back to haunt me and I fear for my life that it will be sooner rather then later.

In all seriousness though my wife hated the LR5's on the Sound Anchor Stands (Hence the free pass). I bought them used on Audiogon 6 months ago and sold my Krell Resolution Ones and Resolution Center. She cussed me every time we watched a movie "I hate those speakers they sound like $h1t." I bought the Krells new in 2002 or 2003 and they where good speakers but I actually like the LR5's and CC5 over them. Now with the 20T's it's just no comparison. What I actually like most about the 20T's is the bass, I'm not even using the JL's anymore for 2 channel.
post #184 of 1623 Old 04-09-2009, 09:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KX250F View Post

Thanks bb52.

Thanks Hopstretch. Hang in there buddy. I personally use the bribing system but in this case for some reason I got a free pass. I know this will come back to haunt me and I fear for my life that it will be sooner rather then later.

In all seriousness though my wife hated the LR5's on the Sound Anchor Stands (Hence the free pass). I bought them used on Audiogon 6 months ago and sold my Krell Resolution Ones and Resolution Center. She cussed me every time we watched a movie "I hate those speakers they sound like $h1t." I bought the Krells new in 2002 or 2003 and they where good speakers but I actually like the LR5's and CC5 over them. Now with the 20T's it's just no comparison. What I actually like most about the 20T's is the bass, I'm not even using the JL's anymore for 2 channel.

KX, what specifically didn't your wife like about the LR5's and CC5?

MARGARITAS,
post #185 of 1623 Old 04-10-2009, 05:35 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudslide View Post

KX, what specifically didn't your wife like about the LR5's and CC5?

She didn't like how they sounded compared to the Krell Resolutions Ones that I had before the LR5's. The Krells where a much bigger speaker so they where able to handle things better when the volume got cranked up. I loved the Krells myself and owned them for 5 years I was just ready to get something else, and I wanted everything black.

I myself would recommend the LR5's to anyone no problem, but you need to have subs to go along with them. I liked the LR5's running along with the JL Fathom F113's and was quite happy with them (Even over the Krells).

The good thing that came out of all this was the 20T v2's. If my wife would have like the LR5's I don't think I would own 20T v2's right now.

This is a picture of the system with the Krells and Theta amps.

post #186 of 1623 Old 04-10-2009, 07:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
KX: Nice. I noticed that you have a slab of granite under each speaker. How thick is the stone? Is your carpet short-piled? The speakers don't move when you push on them do they? My carpet is cushy, the kind you can curl your toes into. I thought of using 2" slab of limestone and hope that the weight of it + Aerial 9 (with base) could compress it enough to not move. Right now, it's spiked thru the carpet. I just like the look of it on a slab.

As for thread popularity:
Aerial has only one line and the least $ floorstander starts at 4k. If they had a more affordable line like Revel does, this thread would be hoping too.
post #187 of 1623 Old 04-10-2009, 07:45 AM
AVS Special Member

That's a lovely setup, KX. The brightness of the speakers and amps look like it could be distracting during a movie, though.

How would you compare/contrast the 20's with the Krells?

Lastly, I probably missed this, but what are you using as a center with the 20's?

MARGARITAS,
post #188 of 1623 Old 04-10-2009, 08:23 AM
Advanced Member

Looks like a CC5 to me. So purposeful and imposing and beautiful. Sniff.

Don't worry, I'll get over it.

I have the original Model 8s as L & R mains and don't think you can beat big tower speakers for that duty. One (minor) quibble with the 8s was that they had a little too much mid-bass energy, but that's a plus for a Home Theater application in my book. I cross them over at 60Hz and they do a fine job.
post #189 of 1623 Old 04-10-2009, 08:43 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bing View Post

KX: Nice. I noticed that you have a slab of granite under each speaker. How thick is the stone? Is your carpet short-piled? The speakers don't move when you push on them do they? My carpet is cushy, the kind you can curl your toes into. I thought of using 2" slab of limestone and hope that the weight of it + Aerial 9 (with base) could compress it enough to not move. Right now, it's spiked thru the carpet. I just like the look of it on a slab.

As for thread popularity:
Aerial has only one line and the least $ floorstander starts at 4k. If they had a more affordable line like Revel does, this thread would be hoping too.

It's just standard counter top granite. I think the thickness is just over a inch maybe a inch and a quarter. I had the granite there for aesthetics and to give the speaker a more solid foundation. My carpet is fairly thick so the Krells would rock a little bit, but the Aerial stands are much wider than the base of the speaker so they would be ok, but I like the look of the granite.
post #190 of 1623 Old 04-10-2009, 08:49 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

That's a lovely setup, KX. The brightness of the speakers and amps look like it could be distracting during a movie, though.

How would you compare/contrast the 20's with the Krells?

Lastly, I probably missed this, but what are you using as a center with the 20's?

The reflection in the JL's and Aerials is there but it by no means bothers me.

The Krells where great, but I think the Aerials are quite a bit better. On a number scale of 0-10 with 10 being the best it would go like this. Aerial 20T=10, Aerial LR5=7.5, Krell Resolution One=7, and B&W 804=5 (I owned these before the Krells)

I run the CC5.
post #191 of 1623 Old 04-10-2009, 10:43 PM

According to Ultimate AV, Aerial showed a new model 7c with a more curvaceous cabinet. Anyone else have any more info on this model?
post #192 of 1623 Old 04-10-2009, 11:11 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by amidcars View Post

According to Ultimate AV, Aerial showed a new model 7c with a more curvaceous cabinet. Anyone else have any more info on this model?

Maybe the new guy at Aerial can help us out. How about it Andrew, can you give us any info?

TURN IT UP!
post #193 of 1623 Old 04-11-2009, 02:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Maybe the new guy at Aerial can help us out. How about it Andrew, can you give us any info?

Well, I'm not Andrew, but here is a nice look at the Aerial 7C shown in Ultimateavmag. Lovely, yes?!

http://blog.ultimateavmag.com/cedia2...ith_new_dudes/

MARGARITAS,
post #194 of 1623 Old 04-11-2009, 08:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Well, I'm not Andrew, but here is a nice look at the Aerial 7C shown in Ultimateavmag. Lovely, yes?!

http://blog.ultimateavmag.com/cedia2...ith_new_dudes/

hmm...yep, I posted that link in this thread myself on Sept. 7th but that's all I've seen on it.
In the Mdl. 9's next to the 7c, you can at least partially see the drivers.

TURN IT UP!
post #195 of 1623 Old 04-12-2009, 01:10 AM
Advanced Member

There are now a bunch of new pics on the Aerial Acoustics website.
Mostly of the 20T V2, Model 9, CC5 and maybe Model SW12.
Probably other new ones also, I'm just not as well acquainted with the other models to say for certain.
Andrew said they were doing this 3 weeks ago and they may have been there that long for all I know.

Bigbrother really isn't always watching, but I look around quite frequently

http://www.aerialacoustics.com/products/index.aspx

TURN IT UP!
post #196 of 1623 Old 04-13-2009, 10:59 AM

Thanks for noticing some of the recent changes to our website. We continue to plug away at it and will continue to do so as needed. In the past, we have taken a more passive approach to the web, but I intend on being "online" more by updating our website more frequently and participating in this forum as an official Aerial Acoustics voice.

On that note, a comparison between our Model 7B and forthcoming Model 7C seems warranted, so without further ado:

Both Models utilize a 1" titanium dome tweeter.

The Model 7C will utilize a 6" midrange versus the 5" midrange used in the Model 7B. The Model 7C midrange will be very similar to the one used in our Model 9.

Both Models utilize a dual 7.1" woofer bass system. These provide the cone surface area of a single 10" woofer, but allow for a significantly narrower baffle. This is done to improve the "look" of the speaker (think tower versus a pyramid) without sacrficing low frequency reproduction and has the added benefit of providing better imaging due to the narrower cabinet.

Both the tweeter and woofer are newer designs and have minor improvements when compared to the ones utilized in the Model 7B.

Both Models are rear-ported and share similar dimensions. The Model 7C will have a cabinet with curved sides which gives it a more contemporary look when compared to the Model 7B, which is essentially a rectangular tower. This is the most visable difference and most people that have seen the prototype of the new design have been extremely impressed. The Model 7C will be deeper to pick up the cabinet volume that is lost by curving the sides. The volume of the cabinet is an essential element to the low frequency reproduction in any speaker design and we didn't want to lose any with the new model.

Cabinet finishes will likely be; Rosewood, Natural Cherry and Black Ash. We may also offer High-Gloss Cherry and Titanium.

The Model 7C is predicted to have a suggested retail price of $7,500 US per pair, compared to $5,500 US per pair for the Model 7B. We are hoping to be shipping the Model 7C this summer, but we follow a "design to achieve the sonic goals, not a date" philosophy. So please don't hold us to price and timing quotes as both are subject to change without notice. They are best estimates based on where we stand today.

So you could view the Model 7C simply as the product that fits between the Model 7B and Model 9 in terms of features, performance and price. Perhaps we should have called it the Model 8, but since we already used that name in the past it would have been too confusing. Also, the overall system design more closely resembles that of the Model 7B. So Model 7C it is!

Hope this helps.
post #197 of 1623 Old 04-13-2009, 01:33 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks Andrew. I'm sure they'll still be as massively overbuilt as all the other Aerial speakers we know and love, just curvy with it!
post #198 of 1623 Old 04-13-2009, 05:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Thank you Andrew. Aerial has always been five-star when it comes to customer relations. Your voice here takes that to another level.
post #199 of 1623 Old 04-14-2009, 09:04 AM

These are not enhancements of the Model 7C over the Model 7B, but simply how Aerial Acoustics designs and builds all of its products. I neglected to mention these points in my original post, but I feel they are important for anyone considering their first Aerial Acoustics product.

The Model 7C cabinet will be "overbuilt" or as we like to view it, built the way all speakers should be to minimize the sonic interference from the cabinet itself. By utilizing 1-2" thick walls, extensive 1" internal braces and tongue and groove joinery - the Model 7C cabinet will be extremely well built and solid. The deader the better when it comes to speaker cabinets and ours are some of the quitest in the industry. This is one of the main reasons why our products are so heavy when compared other speakers of similar size. There's quite a bit going on under the surface of an Aerial. And speaking of the surface, all of the veneers will be pair matched.

The Model 7C will also utilize extremely high-quality, separate filter network boards with bi-wire/amp input capabilities.

Best,

Andrew
post #200 of 1623 Old 05-09-2009, 02:09 AM
Advanced Member

Andrew

Is there an outside chance that we'll be able to get a cutaway pic of the new 7C, or of even more interest to me would be the MDL. 9.
I'm talking about something similar to what was done with the 6

In your last post you describe the 7c as an example of a cabinet utilizing 1-2" thick walls but from the only cutaway available, all I can see there is a 2'' top. I assume this is consistent with most of the speakers, at the very least, the floor standers.
I'll assume everything else but the top is of 1'' thickness on most of the line according to what I am able to see of the 6.
I'm sure you will clarify and correct my statement if what I assume from the one picture is incorrect.

If that pic does not accurately portray the MDF thickness for the rest of your product line, in lieu of taking a saw to everything to prove the point. I suppose we'd all be happy to accept your explanation as to what size MDF went where.

Of course with a cutaway we could get to see much more then any description could afford us. And a good look at the crossover of a MDL. 9, well, that might actually get me excited!

Thanks Again
Marc

TURN IT UP!
post #201 of 1623 Old 05-09-2009, 07:14 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Andrew

Any plans to change the cabinets on the other models in the next couple years ?

To Aerial Owners
Could someone who has experience with both describe the biggest differences between the 7B and 9 other than size and Bass.

Thanks to all

Nothing's Perfect So Stop Expecting It ! Glenee

post #202 of 1623 Old 05-09-2009, 07:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Andrew

Is there an outside chance that we'll be able to get a cutaway pic of the new 7C, or of even more interest to me would be the MDL. 9.
I'm talking about something similar to what was done with the 6

In your last post you describe the 7c as an example of a cabinet utilizing 1-2" thick walls but from the only cutaway available, all I can see there is a 2'' top. I assume this is consistent with most of the speakers, at the very least, the floor standers.
I'll assume everything else but the top is of 1'' thickness on most of the line according to what I am able to see of the 6.
I'm sure you will clarify and correct my statement if what I assume from the one picture is incorrect.

If that pic does not accurately portray the MDF thickness for the rest of your product line, in lieu of taking a saw to everything to prove the point. I suppose we'd all be happy to accept your explanation as to what size MDF went where.

Of course with a cutaway we could get to see much more then any description could afford us. And a good look at the crossover of a MDL. 9, well, that might actually get me excited!

Thanks Again
Marc

Hi Marc. One would assume, and perhaps it could be verified by Andrew that the 7C is much like the 7B pictured in the front of this cutaway demo photo.

MARGARITAS,
post #203 of 1623 Old 05-12-2009, 02:06 PM

Without getting too detailed, the cabinet thickness will vary from 1-2 depending on the model, the surface size, internal bracing and the target internal volume for bass reproduction. Please do not assume that the solution applied to one model is utilized on another. Each is determined independently.

Generally speaking, increasing the thickness of the cabinet walls on smaller products (like our Model 6) has less benefit than it does on larger cabinets. Larger panels flex more easily compared to smaller ones of equal thickness. Doubling the walls also consumes internal volume in larger chunks and has a negative impact on low frequency performance. A designer may instead decide to utilize cross bracing to achieve the benefits of thicker walls without consuming as much internal volume and low frequency performance.

In regards to the Model 7C, the curved sides make the cabinet inherently stronger. A good analogy is a wooden footbridge. One with an arch is generally less susceptible to flexing than a straight one of equal thickness. The Model 7C also utilizes extensive internal bracing and a double baffle designed to increase cabinet rigidity even further and to make the speaker more visually appealing. Better form, better function. Add in the midrange characteristics of our Model 9 and the Model 7C should prove to be an extremely alluring product both sonically and visually.
post #204 of 1623 Old 05-12-2009, 05:59 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Andrew, Have you been offered a position in Barrack Obama Cabinet yet ?

Nothing's Perfect So Stop Expecting It ! Glenee

post #205 of 1623 Old 05-15-2009, 03:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 50
I get the impression most Aerial owners are using the LR3 as surrounds. Anyone using them as mains? Of course a sub would be necessary but I would pair them up with dual JL F113s.

Also, any concerns using the CC5 as the center with the LR3 mains or does it make more sense to just stick with the cc3b?

Thanks everyone!

Tony

McIntosh MX151 Owner's Thread

Owner, AudioXtream.
Authorized Dealer for Kef, Triad, Bryston, Auralic, Audeze, Grado, Audioquest, Marantz

Audioxtream.com
post #206 of 1623 Old 05-15-2009, 07:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adidino View Post

Also, any concerns using the CC5 as the center with the LR3 mains or does it make more sense to just stick with the cc3b?

I would use the best center I could. Home theater is all about the center channel. For HT, I say overspend on the center and sub(s) and underspend on the other speakers. Two F113's would be rockin' BTW.... The CC5 should be an excellent match with the LR3's, and it's one of the very best centers IMO.
post #207 of 1623 Old 05-17-2009, 01:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
any info on the replacement of the 5B's ? thanks
post #208 of 1623 Old 05-20-2009, 10:12 AM

No 5B replacement in the works. No real need. The 5B is a great combination of sound, shape and size that appeals to a wide range of customers from audio professionals and audiophiles seeking a high quality monitor to custom installation customers in need of cabinet or bookshelf mounted speakers that provide excellent music and film soundtrack reproduction in a small package that can be concealed easily.

As a side note, if you haven't seen it yet, there is a great review of the Model 5B by John Marks in the June 2009 (current) issue of Stereophile.
post #209 of 1623 Old 05-25-2009, 05:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 50
So I'm at a crossroads and I'm not sure what to do. Need to find the appropriate L/R mains as this will be my first entry into Aerial Acoustic Land.

I'm limited in space so I don't want to over do it. My room is about 12x22x8. Speakers would sit on a stage about 24 inches deep. I considered the LR5 but they might be too deep and will limit my placement options. So I'm down to the following choices..

Aerial 7B (not sure about this one since it's rear ported and I can pull the speaker out maybe 10 inches based on the 7b dimensions)

Aerial 6

Aerial LR3

Aerial 9 (might a little too big and a little over my budget but willing to consider)

I'm about 75% movies, 25% music but 2 channel using is starting to become more common for me lately.

I already have a pair of JL 113's and Theta Dreadnaught II so I think I'm covered with sub and power.

Appreciate the help everyone!

Tony

McIntosh MX151 Owner's Thread

Owner, AudioXtream.
Authorized Dealer for Kef, Triad, Bryston, Auralic, Audeze, Grado, Audioquest, Marantz

Audioxtream.com
post #210 of 1623 Old 05-25-2009, 08:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adidino View Post

So I'm at a crossroads and I'm not sure what to do. Need to find the appropriate L/R mains as this will be my first entry into Aerial Acoustic Land.

I'm limited in space so I don't want to over do it. My room is about 12x22x8. Speakers would sit on a stage about 24 inches deep. I considered the LR5 but they might be too deep and will limit my placement options. So I'm down to the following choices..

Aerial 7B (not sure about this one since it's rear ported and I can pull the speaker out maybe 10 inches based on the 7b dimensions)

Aerial 6

Aerial LR3

Aerial 9 (might a little too big and a little over my budget but willing to consider)

I'm about 75% movies, 25% music but 2 channel using is starting to become more common for me lately.

I already have a pair of JL 113's and Theta Dreadnaught II so I think I'm covered with sub and power.

Appreciate the help everyone!

Tony

Hi Tony.

My first question is...have you auditioned any Aerial models? Before popping the big bucks, make sure you like the presentation.

I'd recommend the 7B's for a couple of reasons. They seem a good fit for your room and other equipment. They are reasonably affordable (to us mere mortals, anyway), with a few nice ones usually available on A-gon if you want to buy used. And they'll give you terrific home theater dynamics, maybe not up to the scary ability of the LR5's, but they will also provide a smooth 2-channel environment. Finally, I find that 10" is PLENTY of room from a back wall (though ymmv...I have acoustic panels behind mine).

Best of luck with your new toys...whichever way you go.

MARGARITAS,
Reply Speakers

Tags
Energy Cc 5 Center Channel Speaker Black