Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #1 of 1437 Old 04-02-2007, 12:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Well, it's about time someone started a thread for Aerial owners. So, let's see your pics as well hear your impressions.

I absolutely love this speaker line. For home theater, I simply cannot recommend a better sounding performer. As for music, it's right up there with my all time favorite Dynaudio. Yes, they do sound different in comparison, but they do have that silky sweet sound that draws you in without fatigue.......Bravo! The Model 9 and the Model 6 are personal favorites. The model CC5 center is truly one of the very best I've ever heard. Not small by any means, but if you have room for this guy, it's a must have.

So, enough of my gushing. Let's hear your impressions.

Tony G. Cordova, President
Showplace Oklahoma - Showplace Theater & Sound
"We put the SHOW in your PLACE."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 1437 Old 04-02-2007, 01:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 47
I have 7B's and a CC3B. Best speakers I've owned. You can tell they put a lot of work into everything to get that metal tweet smooth, but still retain all the detail. And my god.. I've never heard imaging like this before in anything I've ever owned. The depth and width of stage is nothing short of amazing.

Sadly, I will have to say goodbye to them soon.. but if anyone is pondering Aerials.. do not hesitate to find a dealer or get someone to audition them for you.
LL
LL
LL
post #3 of 1437 Old 04-02-2007, 03:47 PM

Liked: 10
Proud new Aerial Acoustics owner here. Just got a pair of LR5s last week. I absolutely love them.

Next will be the CC5, or possibly another LR5 for the center.
post #4 of 1437 Old 04-02-2007, 04:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Sadly, I will have to say goodbye to them soon

Oh, say it ain't so Joe!

post #5 of 1437 Old 04-02-2007, 04:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttowntony View Post

Oh, say it ain't so Joe!

Yeah, it's sad. Life goes on.

But.. it won't sound quite as good.

post #6 of 1437 Old 04-02-2007, 06:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
I have the Model 7 (not 7B) and the CC3B. The 7 is ok, but the CC3B I can't part with. Sometimes, I pipe just one channel of 2ch music thru the 3-way center just to hear the delicious midrange. I know...it sounds crazy....the 7's are a bit shrill with mainstream recordings. But that's ok cuz by the end of this week I'm gonna be a proud daddy of a pair of Model 9's!!!

I have considered the CC5. I do have the space but in my symmetrical room, the CC3B in the middle (side to side) of the room suffers from a nasty hump in the upper bass. Depending on the source, it can really obscure the lower vocals. (for eg Keane's Hopes and Fears, opening track "Somewhere Only We Know") I cross the CC3B off at 120Hz in my AVM-20. I analyzed its output using a Velodyne SMS-1 and although 120hz seems high, cutting that hump make it sound the way I know it's capable of. I just think the power and bass response of the CC5 wound just be wasted. Maybe I could run a CC5 full range, but i'd have to dedicate an eq to it.
post #7 of 1437 Old 04-02-2007, 07:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Can a diehard obsessive Aerial Acoustics owner wanna-be join in here?

What is a joy it is that you guys (and gals?) have achieved a wonderful level of audio pleasure and have NO desire to upgrade...except up the Aerial line! I dearly hope to be joining you one of these days.

Percent of savings toward an LR5 system - 10%!

MARGARITAS,
they're not just for breakfast anymore.
post #8 of 1437 Old 04-02-2007, 07:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Actually, if anyone knows where I can get my hands on a pair of model 5's or 5b's in Rose Walnut finish.. PLEASE let me know. The guy at Aerial said they did make them in that finish for a bit..

Or, for that matter, a pair of 6's in that finish at a decent price would work too.
post #9 of 1437 Old 04-02-2007, 08:56 PM
Advanced Member

Theres been a few other Aerial threads, but I find that acquiring them, or demoing them is not possible for many here. What a shame!
I've got the 9s, and I can say this, while out demoing (too many makes and models to list all here) I ran across em at a local dealer here. I was originally in there to listen to the Paradigm S8s just to see what they sounded like. Well, didnt like the S8s at all, but next to em (sort of) were the 9s, I didnt look at the price tag, but asked for a quick demo anyway. I honestly, as soon as I heard em, knew my time demoing was OVER! I told the guy right then, and there, I want em, whats the price, and how soon can I have em! Havent looked back since. But, I did get the CC5 to match, along with a CC3b for the rear channel, and after a few months, found a deal on some SR3s, and an SW12. I can honestly say, after (who knows the exact number) of gear swaps, I have found a speaker that truly delivers in every category. I listen more than ever just because its so fun to listen.
People that are lucky enough to get the chance to hear em, are hardpressed to find an equal.
I can say with certainty, that if I ever "upgrade" again, it will only be to the 20Ts!
post #10 of 1437 Old 04-02-2007, 09:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidpa View Post

Theres been a few other Aerial threads, but I find that acquiring them, or demoing them is not possible for many here. What a shame!
I've got the 9s, and I can say this, while out demoing (too many makes and models to list all here) I ran across em at a local dealer here. I was originally in there to listen to the Paradigm S8s just to see what they sounded like. Well, didnt like the S8s at all, but next to em (sort of) were the 9s, I didnt look at the price tag, but asked for a quick demo anyway. I honestly, as soon as I heard em, knew my time demoing was OVER! I told the guy right then, and there, I want em, whats the price, and how soon can I have em! Havent looked back since. But, I did get the CC5 to match, along with a CC3b for the rear channel, and after a few months, found a deal on some SR3s, and an SW12. I can honestly say, after (who knows the exact number) of gear swaps, I have found a speaker that truly delivers in every category. I listen more than ever just because its so fun to listen.
People that are lucky enough to get the chance to hear em, are hardpressed to find an equal.
I can say with certainty, that if I ever "upgrade" again, it will only be to the 20Ts!

Davidpa, thanks for the info. This may have escaped you.... http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...2#post10194652

MARGARITAS,
they're not just for breakfast anymore.
post #11 of 1437 Old 04-03-2007, 05:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Or, for that matter, a pair of 6's in that finish at a decent price would work too.

The Model 6 is still available in that finish. I really love ths speaker. With it being front ported placement is much easier.

Quote:

Can a diehard obsessive Aerial Acoustics owner wanna-be join in here?

Of course you can. It's ok to dream.

Quote:

Havent looked back since. But, I did get the CC5 to match, along with a CC3b for the rear channel, and after a few months, found a deal on some SR3s, and an SW12.

That is a heck of nice system you got there. The Model 9 mated with the CC5......woo-doggies! What size room do you have? Have you thought of adding a second sub or does the single work just fine?

post #12 of 1437 Old 04-03-2007, 06:42 AM
Advanced Member

mudslide, shoot me a PM, you'd be more than welcome to have a listen, I actually hadn't seen that thread for a while. Not sure what HT guy did?
ttowntony- I've actually got 2 subs, 1 is the paradigm servo 15, but am gearing up to grab a velo DD15. My room is approx. 14 by 22 w/about 3 feet in the back unusable because of a stairwell down to our basement, so actually say 13.5 by 19.
It's a project in itself, I've got a few more things to do, but didn't want to run all new speaker wires, get new rack etc. until final placement of all speakers were dialed in. I think I've got it now, but adding the DD15 may change things a bit, so I've got to wait just a bit more to totally complete.
But the fun of it all!
post #13 of 1437 Old 04-05-2007, 12:49 PM

I, too, am an enormously pleased (and relatively new) Aerial Acoustics owner, with a 7B/CC3B/SW12/SR3 setup in my 19' x 14' HT room, running off a McIntosh MC207/MX135 combination. Sources are an Esoteric DV-60 and a Sony multi-disc CD/DVD player whose number escapes me. I admit to grinning everytime I listen to two-channel, or watch HD tv or a movie, and feel quite lucky at finding an HT guy to patiently educate and steer me. The comments on AA's imaging and sound stage are spot on.

That said, I'm already suffering upgraditis, and covet a set of 9s and a CC5 center channel. I'd be interested in everyone's thoughts, especially those of davidpa, whether such an upgrade is worth it. While I appreciate that upgrades are fundamentally a personal decision, and depend in part on the buyer's cost tolerance, I wonder whether my room is large enough (not too much different than davidpa's) to take full advantage of the 9/CC5 combo, and how much more amplificiation I might need to get everything out of these speakers. I covet as well a JBL Fathom sub!
post #14 of 1437 Old 04-27-2007, 05:46 PM

Well seeing there is a Aerial thread I thought I might chime in. I own 2pr of the 7B's which I use for front and rears a CC3B and the SW-12 sub(looking to add another) all in the beautiful cherry finish. It was love at first listening for me.
Driving these speakers are a Krell KAV 250a and a Krell KAV 250/3 channel amps with Anthem AV-30 Pre/Pro, and Marantz DV-9600 in my11'x22'HT room. I too find myself grinning whether listening to 2ch , Movies or better yet my 5.1 Pink Floyd- Dark side of the Moon SACD .......SWEET!!

Someday maybe the 9's and a cc5 but for now I am happy and find no need to upgrade(the speakers that is) other than adding another sub.
post #15 of 1437 Old 04-27-2007, 06:53 PM

I am the proud new Owner of Jephdoods 7B's and CC3B all in Rose Walnut and couldn't be happier. (Thanks Jeff)

I still can't believe how incredible the finish is on these speakers or more importantly how they sound. I just dumped a complete Revel setup consisting of F52's, F32's, C52 and soon to be M22's for them.

There is no contest, the Aerials were better in every catagory. I since added a pair of SR3's and love them as well. I will move up the food chain to the 9's once I move into a bigger place.

I was wondering what else people are powering their Aerials with. I have an NAD M25 and it works pretty good but I don't thing 160W is enought for the Aerials. I am thinking about the Mcintosh MC207 as well or a Simaudio Titan. Does anyone have any advice on these amps or others?

Thanks

Jason
post #16 of 1437 Old 04-27-2007, 07:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Jason, congrats on the Aerials.

Are we wanting 5 or 7 channels here? Bryston is definitely my amp of choice for the Aerials. The Brystons are as neutral as they come. There is no better warranty! More importantly, they mate extremely well with the Aerials and sond wonderful.

post #17 of 1437 Old 04-28-2007, 05:20 AM
Advanced Member

Doc, worth every penny! Placement was the toughest part in my room, but the speakers are in no way too big for it. I use all Bryston power, 14B SST for the 9s, 7B SST for the CC5, and a 6B SST for the rears and surround. I actually used my Anthem MCA50 for a while (very short while) when I first got the 9s, and as soon as I inserted the 14B SST I got an entirely different and better speaker! Although I like the 7Bs, and they are a great speaker in their own right, they dont have the layers of sound that the 9s create, and the bass, tightness, or depth arent even close, so I would say to those who wish to upgrade, but arent certain about it, when you can do it...........do it!
post #18 of 1437 Old 04-28-2007, 07:03 AM

Jason, Again congats on your Aerials.
I am currently driving my 7b's with Krell amps ,KAV 250a/2 for the front and KAV250a/3 for the cc3b and 7b rears. I myself never auditioned the Bryston so I can not comment on them but as for the Krell amps I could not be happier. Pleny of power!

I don't think you will go wrong with Krell, Bryston,Simaudio or any other hi-end amp you just need to audition them with your speakers.
post #19 of 1437 Old 04-28-2007, 11:25 AM

Another 7b, CC3 owner here. Very happy until I read davidpa's post above!

Anyone using Citation amps with Aerial or other speakers?

President Muffley: Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!!
post #20 of 1437 Old 04-29-2007, 11:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Hi Guys! Got the 20T's, CC5, SR3's and SW12 on the way. I already reached one of you (thanks for the comments David) by PM. Can't wait to get them in here!!

Jim
post #21 of 1437 Old 04-29-2007, 01:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I've heard the Aerial Acoustics (LR5, CC5, SR3 & 1 SW12) being powered by the Theta Dreadnaught (centre + 4 surrounds) while Theta Citadels powering the left and right speakers. The A/V surround processor was the Theta Casablanca.

I will say that it is a treat to hear this combination in action. It will blow you away! The soundstage is dynamic, tight, wide with a lot of depth. You really have to hear it for yourself to get an idea. The movie played was The chronicles of Riddick [HD-DVD]. I haven't heard the Brystons with the Aerials but that would be a very good combination as well IMO.

AA does make fantastic speakers. I thought they bettered the Revel Performa, Meridian G-series and B&W 600 by quite a stretch. The difference in sound quality was apparent. In all fairness to the other manufacturers, I would like to listen to the upcoming Revel Ultima 2 line to see how it compares to the Aerials.
post #22 of 1437 Old 04-29-2007, 08:37 PM

Ttowntony & Cragger,
I am looking for a 5 or 7 channel amp, but wouldn't object to a 2 channel amp or monos for the L & R and 3 or 5 channel for the rest. The only problem is when I upgrade to the CC5 in the future I want to make sure I give it enough juice.

I have owned the Bryston 4BSST when I used to have my Aerial 10T's and thought it was way underpowered. As a matter of fact, I had a Butler Audio 2250 demo piece at the time and it walked all over the Bryston. It bested it in every catagory except build quality and warranty. I just wonder how the 7 or 14BSST's sound compared to the 4BSST.

I always like to try new things so I have been looking hard for a nice used Simaudio or McIntos amp. I will also keep my eyes open for a 14BSST or Krell. I have also been hearing great things about Ayre. Too many choices, not enough money!

Thanks
post #23 of 1437 Old 04-29-2007, 08:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JlgLaw View Post

Hi Guys! Got the 20T's, CC5, SR3's and SW12 on the way. I already reached one of you (thanks for the comments David) by PM. Can't wait to get them in here!!

Jim

WOW! Congrats! Those are the best speaker I've ever heard and they are part of a fairly long list of $20K+ speakers I've heard including the Wilson Alexandrias and Martin Logan Statements that are both up over $150K. That is an excellent purchase and you should really enjoy them. What are the supporting electronics?

I love this stuff!
post #24 of 1437 Old 05-06-2007, 02:34 PM

Need some advice from Aerial owners on bi-amping a pair of 7b: would you recommend I use a bridged (400W X 2) or a bi-amped connection (150W X 2 for each main)?

What happens when the jumpers are disconnected and each pair of terminals is connected to the amp directly? I couldnt find any information on this at the Aerial website.

President Muffley: Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!!
post #25 of 1437 Old 05-06-2007, 04:53 PM
Advanced Member

Give em a call and they'll give you an answer! Heck, shoot em an email and you'll get help, or a cell number pretty quick as well!
IOWs, theres always someone around to help, if not Michael Kelly himself.
post #26 of 1437 Old 05-21-2007, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidpa View Post

mudslide, shoot me a PM, you'd be more than welcome to have a listen, I actually hadn't seen that thread for a while. Not sure what HT guy did?

HT Guy got deployed man. I am in Baghdad as we speak. I am still going to decide which is best for my application. I honestly only have about 12" behind the speaker to work with.... I feel like it would be a shame to place the 9's so close to the back wall, but I wouldn't have a choice in the matter...

Any advice on that situation?
post #27 of 1437 Old 05-21-2007, 06:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I just wonder how the 7 or 14BSST's sound compared to the 4BSST.

More power is more power, but with the same sound characteristics. I understand your delimna with needing a three channel amp. The 7b and 14B Brystons have loads of power to drive the Aerials and would sound great, but at a premium price.

Not to take away from the Brystons, but I would look to the Parasound Halo JC1 Mono amps in your case, you could get three plus the A51 for everything else. This combo is killer!! I'm doing this same amp config in my personal setup.

post #28 of 1437 Old 05-21-2007, 07:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by HT_New_Guy View Post

Any advice on that situation?

Treatments on the rear wall behind the speaker will reduce the bass to balance out the tonality a bit, but you can't really do anything to delay the reflections more, to get that more spacious sound.
post #29 of 1437 Old 05-22-2007, 12:41 AM

I guess that I am going to be better off with the LR5's then... I have heard that they are more seemless accross the front than the Model 9, CC5 combo is, but they just aren't as great for music... does this sound about right to you as well?
post #30 of 1437 Old 05-22-2007, 05:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

but they just aren't as great for music... does this sound about right to you as well?

They are awesome with music. The only real difference is they don't play as low as the Model 9. True, they excel at HT as they have the exact same drivers as the CC5.

Reply Speakers

Tags
Energy Cc 5 Center Channel Speaker Black

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page