Anybody ever replace a tweeter on B&W CDM NT speakers before? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 04-09-2007, 09:33 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello -

I need to replace a tweeter on my B&W CDM-CNT speaker - my toddler pushed the dome in. Before I order the part I need, I'm wondering if anybody has done this before and if this is an involved process? Do I need "special" tools or anything like that?

Thanks for any help!!!!

Bob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 04-09-2007, 10:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Have you ever used a soldering iron before? If no, I don't think you would want to start on your speakers. The tweeter probably is screwed to the face and connected by two wires. Be sure you use the same tweeter and that you connect the wires to the same terminals so the tweeter is in phase with woofer.

OK, so why *again* do we need a bigger one?
post #3 of 10 Old 04-09-2007, 11:09 AM - Thread Starter

Actually, the tweeter is not screwed in.... It sits in a "pod" on the top of the speaker.... I don't have a problem soldering, I just don't know how to get the old tweeter out.
post #4 of 10 Old 04-09-2007, 11:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I believe you have to remove the midrange, then unscrew the assembly from the bottom. I'm not 100%, but I think that's how you do it. That's what the earlier models did. Unless there's a screw on back side of the pod.

John
post #5 of 10 Old 04-09-2007, 11:24 AM

Did you try using some tape to gently pull the dome back out? You may be lucky and have no real damage to the dome, or at least nothing you can hear. Worth a shot IMO.

I have sound equipment.
post #6 of 10 Old 04-09-2007, 12:14 PM
AVS Special Member

What you might need to do is call B&W and see if they can advise you on how it is done. I agree with what Alimentall said, if you see no access from the outside of the pod, it is probably on the inside of the cabinet. Perhaps you can order the tweeter already inside a new pod and then just wire it. It must come prewired if you can't get to it from the outside. As far as trying to fix the tweeter I'm not sure if that can be done, but it's worth a try.

OK, so why *again* do we need a bigger one?
post #7 of 10 Old 04-09-2007, 12:32 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmaiers View Post

Hello -

I need to replace a tweeter on my B&W CDM-CNT speaker - my toddler pushed the dome in. Before I order the part I need, I'm wondering if anybody has done this before and if this is an involved process? Do I need "special" tools or anything like that?

Thanks for any help!!!!

Bob

with the 600 series b&w's, all I had to do was to unscrew the midrange/woofer to get to the tweeter that is housed in a pod of sorts. A firm twist of the pod and pull down removes the tweeter in its housing. There are wires connected to the tweeter but they aren't soldered, just connectors. Very simple to do with the 600 series. Only tool I needed was a screw driver. Just simply put the new tweeter in the old housing and reconnected. Make sure you do some tone tests and level matching to make sure it sounds correct is my only advice, other than that its a relative no brainer. If the connections are soldered, it will still be an easy fix even for a novice with a soldering iron.
post #8 of 10 Old 04-09-2007, 01:10 PM

I have the CDMCNT and replaced the tweeter twice. Once it is pushed in it is gone. It is easy to replace and no soldering needed. It is $108 from B&W. All you have to do is turn the tweeter pod (about 1" deep) counterclockwise about 20 degrees and the tweeter will pop out. It is conected by 2 wires and be sure to mark the positive and negative on the new tweeter as they are not always marked. The CDMCNT tweeter is identical to all the other CDM speakers, except the CNT tweeter is magnetically shielded. Good luck.
Steel
post #9 of 10 Old 04-09-2007, 06:08 PM

The most current pricing off my B&W list shows $106 + $10 shipping for the CDMCNT tweeter diaphragm (which is the only thing that needs to be replaced). Any B&W dealer should be able to order this for you.
post #10 of 10 Old 04-11-2007, 02:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Likecoiledsteel View Post

I have the CDMCNT and replaced the tweeter twice. Once it is pushed in it is gone. It is easy to replace and no soldering needed. It is $108 from B&W. All you have to do is turn the tweeter pod (about 1" deep) counterclockwise about 20 degrees and the tweeter will pop out. It is conected by 2 wires and be sure to mark the positive and negative on the new tweeter as they are not always marked. The CDMCNT tweeter is identical to all the other CDM speakers, except the CNT tweeter is magnetically shielded. Good luck.
Steel

Yep.... This is the trick! Thanks for this! Tweeter popped right out! Very easy!

THANK YOU!
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page