AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

CD Recorders

1K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  aerialman 
#1 ·
I'm thinking about picking up a CD recorder and wonder if any of you have experience with them. Is there much of a drop in quality from the original to the copy? Also, which models do you favor. I'm looking at the Pioneer Elite's in particular, but if there are better units out there, I'd like to hear about them.

Thanks,

Will

#3 ·
Will,

if you are not opposed to using your computer- my suggstion is to get a PC based CD recorder.

Advantages:

blank CDRs are much cheaper (forget the prices now since I havent bought recently, but my memory was that they're like 4-6 times cheaper)

more control- for example you can use cd text with some programs

Disadvantages- slightly higher learning curve. Im more into my pc now than a year ago when I got my cd burner but after some trial and error and learning its now very easy to do- its not too tough.

In terms of quality- I know someones gonna say you lose quality, but I cant hear any at all.

- Jerry

[This message has been edited by aerialman (edited January 05, 2000).]

#4 ·
I hear alot (maybe 4-10 a track) of pop's (not real loud - not everyone can hear unless you point them out) and clicks when I burn audio cd's on my pc (when using cheap and good media). Does this not happen to others or to home style cd recorders?

I am using a Phillips IDE 4X (and experience this problem even at 1X). It's doing a direct copy from another cdrom drive (I haven't figured out how to copy audio cd tracks to the hd - I don't think I can just drag them - this sometimes prevents errors in data cdrs).

Rob

------------------
display: toshiba 40" widescreen hdtv,
speakers: acoustic energy 500 series, paradigm ps-1200 sub,
pre-amp: ead encore,
amp: b&k av654,
front-end: rega planet, sony 7700,
cables: synergistic research, kimberkable, audioquest, monstercable,
misc: rotel line conditioner, synergy racks

#5 ·
I am using the software that came with the unit, some philips shindig, prolly of low quality. Am I right it saying that it does a direct digital copy and doesn't convert it back and forth (to analog)?

Rob

------------------
display: toshiba 40" widescreen hdtv,
speakers: acoustic energy 500 series, paradigm ps-1200 sub,
pre-amp: ead encore,
amp: b&k av654,
front-end: rega planet, sony 7700,
cables: synergistic research, kimberkable, audioquest, monstercable,
misc: rotel line conditioner, synergy racks

#6 ·
Oh what a sore subject this is right now!

I have been trying since Christmas to get a good burner for my Sony Viao computer. (external) So far I have tried a Sony Spressa USB based CD-RW writer, and an Imation 8X CD-R. My results have NOT been good. I am getting mis-records left and right. Honestly, out of about 10 CD-R recordings, only one has appeared to be perfect, and that was using Sony media on the Spressa. Right now, I am using compUSA brand Audio CD-Rs. These are supposed to be designed for audio.

I am in contact with Imation right now about my problems, and hope that they come up with better solutions. I know your not supposed to have other processes running, use the computer while it's burning, and no screen savers. I am following all these rules. I also diagnostic tested using Adaptec Easy CD Creator and found that my system is not transferring fast enough to do 8X, but it said it will do 6X (600 KB), so why the heck, at 4X am I getting such bad results after 1 copy. I tried to copy Celine's new CD (which we do own), and had at least 10-15 glitches in the recording.

Oh yeah, additionally, my Imation drive is SCSI.

Any suggestions appreciated!

Lex

[This message has been edited by Lex (edited January 06, 2000).]

#7 ·
I've had several burners over the years and

I can tell you that getting your SCSI chain

working perfectly is the key path to happiness. I also wonder it you have checked that your CR-ROM (not the burner) can do digital audio extraction at the speed you're trying to use. If you are trying to go cd to cd, this is crucial to the process. (On an

earlier Yamaha burner I had I could not get

more than 2X speed because the source cd-rom

would only do DAE at 2X. A lot of people overlook this.) There's a workaround of copying the cd to the hard drive and going from there. Also, if you can make perfect data copies at any speed but not music, your

source drive my be the problem. You should also, for sanity's sake, keep the source drive as the master on one of your ide controllers.

You should spend some time with zdnet, adaptec, sony, etc to make sure that

you've get all the settings right on your scsi card. The common problem with cd's tends to be buffer underruns - when the player has to so much error correction that

the record buffer runs out of bits to record.

Is this the problem you're having?

#8 ·
Ross, thanks for your reply. Truthfully, I am not to sure what my problem is as yet. I tried converting to WAV files with the Sony, and then copying to the CD-R drive. Not to good a results.

With the Imation, I did do a disc to disc audio copy. The tech at Imation today recommended copying the entire CD to hard disc prior to burning. She in fact acted like I should be able to listen to it's transfer. I haven't as yet found this option in the Adaptec software. She did give me a few tips, such as brands of discs that the Imation works best with, as well as reducing my speed even further to 2X (which I did try with the Sony). She said commercial product CD readers sometimes have problems with CDs recorded at 4 and 8X. Thats what she said, but tonight, I haven't tried this. I will work on it some tomorrow.

Thanks,

Lex

#9 ·
Try

Nero Burning Rom
www.ahead.de

Lex,

I can tell you that anytime Ive tried to add a scsi device to my sony pc Ive ended up sending the scsi controller and external device back (a scsi for a scsi zip drive as well as a scsi for an external hd). It just didnt want to work. The thing about cds burned at 4x speed is bs because I burn cds at 4x speed all the time and so long as the cd player in question can read a cdr, they play great

- Jerry

#10 ·
Thanks Jerry, I didn't know whether to believe her about recording speeds or not. Well, if the Sony won't do SCSI, I am going to give this thing to my daughter and forget it, lol. I can't say that USB did much better for me. Right now, I am burning 1 at 2X, did an image copy to disc prior to the burn. Also using 1 of the brands of blanks they recommended. So, soon will know if this recorder is staying. Incidentally Jerry, I have used the SCSI card with my Jazz drive just fine. Occasionally, it gives a little problem getting started with the operation, but then usually is ok.

Thanks ttriff, I have done some image copies. I got pretty good with the Spressa software from Sony, then changed drives and now am learning the software all over again. (Adaptec). The first copy I did do a CD to CD, cause it said all my system could handle it, but it still didn't work. So, back to the disc copy. I don't care so much about speed, as long as it's accurate!

Lex

#11 ·
Well you know that computers can be "fussy". Of course we know they're not but because of even slight changes in software, and Im sure we have lots of different software on our pcs, pcs that look similar can act very dissimilar. So my theory is that pc's have personalities and mine has a strong dislike for scsi cards! What I can tell you is that it shouldnt matter as to the brand of cdr disc youre using- at least at writing speeds up to 4x; I seem to remember that exceeding this required something special but I forget so maybe Im wrong.

- Jerry

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.