Best Center Speaker for $200 for HT - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 01-02-2001, 02:00 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Simple question with no restrictions - What would you consider the best center channel for $200?

Bonus question: What's a good online dealer that allows returns if you don't like how a speaker sounds? There is a lack of good dealers in my area and I'd like the flexibility to return if the sound is not to my liking.

Mike

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 01-02-2001, 03:28 PM
Advanced Member

Tannoy Mercury center speaker, by FAR. Next best speaker I've heard is $600-800.

http://www.tannoy.com/tannoyhifi/hif...page.cfm?ID=73

Rob

------------------
Migliore Theater
post #3 of 3 Old 01-02-2001, 06:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Mike Wells:
Simple question with no restrictions - What would you consider the best center channel for $200?

Mike
</font>

The best center speaker for $200 is whichever speaker most closely matches the spectral balance of your existing left/right speakers. Center is NOT just dialog. Typically, center channel reproduces 60% of the front sound stage including dialog, music and effects.

If your HT setup is in a relatively small room, then the vertical dispersion characteristics are less of an issue. If the room is large, then you may certainly want to consider a speakers with a more limited vertical dispersion characteristic.

You're likely to obtain the best results with a speaker of the same brand and series as your existing speakers. If you're using planar type or large speakers then you'll have to settle for a speaker that most closely matches your existing speaker.

A manufacturer's claim that a speaker is designed for center channel applications should be taken with a grain of salt! Pick the one that blends the best to give you a seamless sound stage particularly on left/right panned affects. A mis-matched speaker will quickly reveal itself.

Good luck.
Closed Thread Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page