LCR HT speakers that are also good for music? ~$3k - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 01-02-2001, 07:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm looking for a good pair of full range speakers that will do well in an HT/Music (60/40) set up. Currently have the M&K 150 system. Great for HT, but looking for full range fronts to replace the LCR speakers. Sides/rears can be changed later.

Looked at Paradigm Refernce Studio 80 and NHT 2.5i

Any ideas? ~$3k for LCR.

Thanks,
MM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 01-04-2001, 01:59 PM
Advanced Member

Acoustic Energy 500 series, Avalon is coming out w/ a HT line, B&W, Von Schweikart, Vienna Acoustics, Osbourne, Vandersteen, maybe Thiel.

Rob

------------------
Migliore Theater
post #3 of 4 Old 01-06-2001, 08:00 PM

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by MoneyMINTR:
[b]I'm looking for a good pair of full range speakers that will do well in an HT/Music (60/40) set up.[b]</font>
If I may add my thoughts:
I actually believe that 'specific application speakers' make no sense to me and that I strongly believe in that loudspeakers should play whatever material you feed them as transparently as possible. No matter if it is a HomeTheater, 2ch HiFi or whatever..!

As front speakers in my home theater I use a trio of the 'IS 88's from a Swedish, still pretty unknown, loudspeaker manufacturer called Intelligent Sound. They also share that same thought - speakers should be transparent and not be made for specific applications.

The 'IS 88' speakers I own are the best speakers I and all my HiFi friends have ever heard! (Me and some of my friends are a lucky bunch of people who have had the opportunity from time to time to technically assist at high-end speaker test sessions made by or for various independent HiFi magz here Sweden.) All we have to say to the rest of the loudspeaker market is: there is no contest! The IS 88 wins. All categories! Forgive me for being a bit cocky. It's just that I am so very convinced! http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

The full range, very-high-end speakers cost about $2500/pair (here in Sweden).

Please contact me if you want to know more. I could put you in contact with the dealer that I bought from.
marcel_risberg@hotmail.com

(Come on! I do not work for Intelligent Sound - I am just an enthusiast who would like many more people than I to be able to hear what I have heard.)

------------------
Thank you,
Marcel, Stockholm, Sweden

Marcel Risberg (Stockholm, Sweden)
post #4 of 4 Old 01-06-2001, 08:25 PM

Another set to consider - to my ear equivalent to B&W Nautilus 805's - are the set of Energy Veritas 2.2/2.1/2.0c/2.0R. I have 7 of them hooked to Denon5800, and they are transparent, clear, not overly bright, with strong mid and bass. Great for both music and HT.

Now I'm looking for excellent L/R subs (not LFE) for good 2-channel Direct Sound.

Stew
The search for excellence is unending . . .
Closed Thread Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page