speaker selector switches - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 01-07-2001, 08:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*I posted this question on some other sites, but got no replies. Maybe there are some people here that would be able to help me.
Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*My receiver does not have a B speaker output for the mains. I would like to buy a selector switch that would allow me to switch a second or third set of speakers. i.e. living room, bedroom, outdoor.
Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*I'm told that there is some degradation of sound when a selector is used. Assuming this is true, AND it is a noticible difference, I would like to find a switch that bypasses its own internal electronics when using only the main speakers. I can tolerate some degradation when using the additional speakers because when using the multiple sets, I will just be using the speakers for background msic. When using just the mains, it will be for my home theater and I want everything I can get out of my system. If it matters, and some literature seems to indicate it does, my main living room speakers are 4 ohm and my others are 8 ohm. Hoping someone can refer me to some switches that will accommodate these parameters. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 01-07-2001, 02:58 PM

Adcom makes several high quality speaker switches. I know of no double blind testing of speaker switches which has shown that they degrade the sound. The Adcom switches
show a constant impedence to your amplifier,
as I understand their circuitry. I've used
them in different settings, once with 6 pairs of speakers with no problems.
Rgrds-Ross Salinger
post #3 of 3 Old 01-07-2001, 09:11 PM
Advanced Member

Maybe you should scrap the speaker selector box idea and get another amp to run the second and third areas. This way you could connect it to the multi-zone or rec. out of your receiver (or preamp) and watch a movie in one room and listen to a cd (for example) outside.

I have found that this is the best way to run a system as there are no good speaker selector boxes on the market under $500. You can, however, get a decent 60x2 or 50x2 amp to run the other rooms for $250-$500.

Dan

------------------
Dan Henderson
dan@net-impress.com

Dan Henderson
dan@net-impress.com
Closed Thread Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page