Don't understand why I would want VIDEO Switching - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 12-14-2000, 09:28 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I can remember back maybe 8-10 years when these fancy new Pioneer receivers had on-screen programming and menus. Only thing was you had to run your video through the receiver.

I could never figure that out... and still cannot understand why anyone would want another device between the SVIDEO OUT of
1) cable box
2) TIVO
3) DISH receiver
and your TV.

I have all three of the items above, and they both sources go into the TIVO and then it goes directly to S-IN on my big screen TV.

So what advantage is there to utilize any features of a receiver to route video?

------------------
Jaymer...

Jaymer... Its only TV - Get a Life!
------------------------------------------
What happened to the really active Tampa HDTV Thread? We've got our own Local Website Check it out!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 12-14-2000, 11:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have a WEGA FS-12.
It only has one s-vid in and component in. I need swithching if I want to have a ps2, dvd, TIVO, reciever on screen display, and future stuff to hook up care free.

------------------
Evan Adams
eaadams@ucdavis.edu

------------------------------------
post #3 of 10 Old 12-14-2000, 11:54 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

thanks for the reply, but I don't know what a WEGA is?
I'm thinking its your receiver, but that doesn't make sense because it should have more inputs.

oh, i checked... now I get it.
I guess I've been spoiled by my Hitachi which had RF + 3 more videos, one of which was S-video, and other two composite(the rca plugs).

Yes, when i add DVD (and a PS2 of course http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/tongue.gif ) I see that since I would want them to use the best source possible (ie. s-video) that I would be screwed because I'm out of inputs on the TV.

OK, well that gives me a lot to think about then in planning for a new receiver.

thanks,
jaymer...

------------------
Jaymer...

What happened to the really active Tampa HDTV Thread? We've got our own Local Website Check it out!
post #4 of 10 Old 12-14-2000, 12:24 PM

Simply put you video output device (TV) has only 1 input and you have multiple devices which you might want to view on the tv. ie vcr, dvd, dish, game system, tivo, etc....

Miles
post #5 of 10 Old 12-14-2000, 03:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Jaymer,

I have a Meridian 861 and I did not buy the video switching
card. I don't need on screen displays. Further, I only have two sources and they are both RGB: MSB Sony 7700 with Cinematrix RGBHV out, and an HDTV output from a STB...
post #6 of 10 Old 12-14-2000, 06:01 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks to all for the replies, but esp. to Ergin for a great detailed response that I can understand at my level.

I've lived with two-step switching for so long, thats a hassle (yes it is) that can be avoided by using a proper a/v receiver - and the wife can navigate the system better too by just selecting the desired input source and BAM, there it is. Right now we have to sit and think about what we want, then pick the source on the tv then change the receiver, although its a bit easier now since Tivo because both inputs run through there.

So, thats a great 1st reason. Not to mention that I certainly will run out of video inputs on the TV (eventually).

2nd, your last reason makes sense, not because I have a 2nd monitor in the HT, but because I've wanted to run a cable to my 19 inch TV in my office. That way I can have access to ANYTHING thats coming into the main TV center in the house while I'm "working" at home. Prior to contemplating using a A/V receiver, I had planned to run a coax with RF splitter to run this TV - while I still may have to do that because of distance, it definitely has a use at my house for this "alternate display" feature.

Speaking of the remote monitor, anyone know a length limit of an S-Video cable? Actually, it would probably be a whole lot simpler (and cheaper) to just run this via RF cable just like I was planning, I just need a way to get the signal out of the receiver on a RF plug, if such a thing exists.

Thanks again,
Jaymer...

[This message has been edited by jaymer (edited 12-14-2000).]

post #7 of 10 Old 12-14-2000, 10:04 PM
Advanced Member

Hopefully I can answer two of your questions.

1) S-video is availible in lengths up to (and over) 500 ft. I would, however, suggest satying below 25 ft. At that point, unless the cable is very high quality, the signal will be no better than composite.

2) You can run a coax RG-6 line between the office and the receiver, and convert that to composit on each end. You can also run a cat 5 cable with that RG6 and have the ability to use the remote in the office to control the system. (ir repeater system) if this is too technical you can use the "wireless cone" system offered at radio shack.

Dan Henderson

------------------
Dan Henderson
dan@net-impress.com

Dan Henderson
dan@net-impress.com
post #8 of 10 Old 12-14-2000, 10:57 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Dan, I don't understand two things:

1) how do you convert coax into composite "on both ends"? What's required? parts?

2) I'll already have cat-5 cable at various points in the house, so running an extra one to the HT is no problem. BUT, I don't understand how cat-5 cable is used for an ir repeater? Its not too technical for me - I just haven't studied up on it. This would be a GREAT option - right now when I want to watch something in the office, I run a 70ft coax thru several rooms. But not having REMOTE control over that video is really a drag, so this is another thing to add to my list of "must-haves".
Can you supply a URL for info on this?

Thanks

------------------
Jaymer...

post #9 of 10 Old 12-20-2000, 10:10 PM
Advanced Member

1) All you need to do is terminate the coax (rg6) with F connector ends. (like cable ends) Then buy 2 (one for each end) COAX to RCA adapter.

This will give you decent quality on an extreamly long run.

2) We use cat5 for IR repeater systems because it provides enough lines for the repeater (2 wires) and power. Basically an IR repeater system is comprosed of 4 parts. 1 is the power supply. 2 is the connecting block, 3 is the ir emmiters and 4 is the "ir receiver" Here is how it is connected:

Power supply from wall outlet to Connecting block for power.

Connect the IR receiver to the cat 5, run that to the connecting block. Everything is located in the equipment area, except the ir receiver.

Connect the emmiter(s) to the connecting block, and then stick them to the "IR WINDOW" of the gear.

Now when you point the remote at the IR receiver in "ROOM A" you can control the equipment through the cat 5 to the equipment room, through the connecting block and to the emmiters - which control the system.

Still confused? Its simple, but not in words. http://www.sonance.com/elect/optilinq.htm

Email me if you have any more questions.

Dan

------------------
Dan Henderson
dan@net-impress.com

Dan Henderson
dan@net-impress.com
post #10 of 10 Old 01-07-2001, 06:30 PM
AVS Special Member

OK, I understand the original question, because I have three TiVos, 1 DVD player, 2 sat receivers and 3 VCRs. I got the RCA 920 switch first, then the SIMA SVS-4, and I have them daisy-chained together to have more inputs.

My problem is I can't get the damn RCA 920 to respond to any remote codes from the Pronto I'm trying to set up (to make this easy enough for my wife to understand). I can't daisy chain two SIMAs because they would use the same IR codes. And they don't seem to make a SIMA SVS-6 or SVS-8 (which would be perfect).

I haven't invested in a A/V receiver (or all this 5.1 stuff) because my old ears are quite happy with my old 300W audio receiver and four 3-foot tall speakers I have. The small HT speakers look rather silly to me!

I have started looking, but I don't see any receivers with more than 5 video inputs. I would need minimum 4 audio + 6-7 video inputs (4 S-Video + the rest composite video).

Stumbling to a set of questions from all this:

1) Is there really enough difference in this 5.1 sound (my DirecTiVo and Sony DVD source 5.1) compared to my big stereo receiver, to someone with lousy hearing, to make an HT receiver worthwhile?

2) Is there a 6-8 input A/V switch (IR controlled) that's as good as the SIMA?

3) Is my best bet a moderate HT receiver combined with the SIMA I already have?

------------------
-- Colonel Michael, TiVo Army - TiVo Help Center AVSForum Moderator
www.mikeschwab.com . . FAQ Editor: www.tivofaq.com

-- TiVo FAQ Editor: www.tivofaq.com
Closed Thread Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page