Celestion SL6 in the 21st century - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 05-02-2007, 01:37 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Are older designs like the Celestion SL6, SL12, SL600 or SL700 that were cutting edge 15 years ago still comparable to 21st century loudspeakers like the Revel bookshelfs and other top quality bookshelf loudspeakers available now? Or are the designs, materials and drivers last generation and it's time to move on?

I ask because some of these high end Celestions show up for sale used and in good condition for reasonable prices. Out of the better Celestions I have only heard the SL6000 system that I believe uses SL600's and a pair of uniquely designed 12" woofers. I was impressed when I heard them 15 years ago but I cannot mentally compare that sound with what I hear from modern speakers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2007, 02:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I have only heard the SL600's and still regret not buying them. I bought the ADS L570's instead which were also very good sounding . I still use the L570 and I've been speaker shoping lately and I've got to say that there has not been that much sonic improvements over the last 20 years. The ADS's still sound excellent along with my friends original DCM Time Windows. What has changed is prices. Back around 1985 the SL600's were approx. $600 eachr. Thats a lot of 1985 dollars for small bookshelfs. With todays materials and manufacturing techniques the same speaker can be had for $400 to $600 per pair. These were and still are excellent speakers, if you can find a pair in good condition.

I'm sure people will jump all over me for this comment, but this honestly reflects my experiences after speaker auditioning for the past couple months. OK, I've got my flame suit on now..

Jon

Corrected price.
Old 05-02-2007, 02:26 PM

With the right amplifier, the SL6si's can still sing and handle themselves quite well. I still sometimes regret selling my pair 2 years ago, but it was time for a fresh sound.
Old 05-07-2007, 03:07 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Affordable$Audio View Post

With the right amplifier, the SL6si's can still sing and handle themselves quite well. I still sometimes regret selling my pair 2 years ago, but it was time for a fresh sound.

Affordable$Audio,

What did you replace your SL6si's with? Was it an improvement?
What were you powering them with?