Substitute for MK Sound? - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 41 Old 05-27-2007, 10:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
DenW,

Have you found your M&K equals yet? I too am in the same boat as you on speaker selection. Wife and I heard M&K (S150s) about a year ago and was blown away; however it wasn't the right time to purchase. Now that the time is right they dont seem to be available anymore.

Today we went and listened to the Klipsch Ultra 2s at a dealer's site. While it sounded good, it didn't have the precise sound that the M&K delievered. Maybe it was my memory remembering it better or room acoustic was better in the other demo room. In any case it was hard to forget the way those M&K were demoed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 41 Old 05-27-2007, 10:39 PM
Advanced Member

I too loved the S-150's, and they're what I always planned to put in my theater. The timing (and finances) were never right though. Recently I decided it was time for an upgrade and I decided to try some Ascend Acoustics Sierra-1's. They're on order now.
David Fabrikant started the company and used to be one of the designers at M&K, so that, plus the numerous rave reviews for the company and their speakers convinced me to give them a shot. I'll try to post my impressions when they're all set up.
I don't expect them to be 150's, but we'll see.
post #33 of 41 Old 05-27-2007, 11:38 PM - Thread Starter

lin.john,

No, i haven't unfortunately. At the moment i'm looking at finding time to demo the Atlantic Technology 4200e system, and also having a look at the Blue Sky One 5.1 system.
The latter ones are active studio monitors, and while they should sound accurate they are a little bit big for them using as my rear speakers. I'd also have to make some significant changes to the wiring of my HT. Blue Sky also seems to have a lot of former M&K people on their payroll...
I'm saving my hopes for the AT 4200e system, which i hope to be listening to within the next two weeks. I'll post my findings here if you like.
It is indeed hard to forget the demo of the M&K for us as well, even though we only listened to the 850's.

Patrick Bennett,
I'd be very interested in your review of the Sierra's. From what i've read about the Sierra's so far, they were designed for the semi high-end HiFi market.
As I said before, there are only a few companies that i feel are "true" surround sound companies. I'm not sure about where Ascend stands. While they don't produce full HiFi speakers, they also don't have sub's or dipoles. With the Sierra, i get the impression they are focussing more on (2-channel) HiFi than HT\\surround sound.

DenW
"The Black Hole" HT (and other stuff..): http://www.denonline.nl
post #34 of 41 Old 05-28-2007, 12:09 AM
Advanced Member

No, they can definitely produce for HT (although I'm getting a sub from someone else). I haven't noticed anyone on their forums that are 'stereo' nuts. They're all using them in theaters (presumably of wildly varying sizes ;>). While my 3-row theater with 110" screen isn't crazy abnormal here at AVS, it's definitely not average (particularly with the ID speaker crows), so I guess we'll see how they do. David at Ascend said the Sierra's would have absolutely no problem driving my theater.

As for the surround issue, while my theater already has 2 M&K SS-500's for my side surrounds (which I'm not changing), the opinions vary greatly on rear surrounds - whether they should be dipoles or monopoles.
With my theater, side surrounds being dipoles is a must. People who say side-surrounds should be monopoles don't have a 25+ foot long room with 3 rows of seats. The people in the rows away from the surrounds would be WAY WAY off-axis.
As for the rear surrounds, well, like I said, everyone has an opinion. THX's latest recommendations are to have two monopoles placed close together - assuming you're using a Select-2 or Ultra-2 THX pre-amp/receiver using one of their ASA sound modes. My theater designer said the ASA Cinema mode just tries to make the speakers act like dipoles, but... rear channels particularly with 7.1 are increasingly becoming more discrete, so while a dipole might make sense for 6.1, I'm not convinced for 7.1. Of course, if the rear speakers are 3 feet behind the last row, is that all they're going to hear if its a monopole?
Yuck - I'm really torn, but I have to say, getting monopoles for the rears significantly opens up my purchasing options. Not that many companies produce dipoles these days.
If I was willing to spend more money at this point, my choices would (obviously) expand greatly. Perhaps Triad, Genelec, Atlantic Tech, etc. etc. I think most are just way overpriced (M&K included).

I looked at Aperion (and still may actually) because they offered a nice looking dipole, and was tempted to try their mains but ultimately was swayed by all the overwhelming positive press for all of the Ascends speakers (and a few comments about the Aperions being a tad shrill w/ their tweeters (bright/fatiguing high-end/etc - saw it mentioned in at least 3 or 4 reviews in different forms so it spooked me a tad). While some people might list a monitor type of speaker as 'bright' (perhaps because that's what the source actually sounds like!), the fact that it was repeated in several reviews worried me just a tad.
I have to say I *really* liked the vibe I got from the guy I spoke with at Aperion (and Ascend as well :>). They seem like a great company, so I'll probably go with them for the rear at least if I decide to go with dipoles in the rear.

As of now, I've got 3 Ascend Sierra-1's and an Outlaw sub on the way. I wanted an SVS sub, but none of their 12" box subwoofers would fit in the subwoofer opening I have in my proscenium. That left HSU but the model I wanted was 17" wide and my opening is just shy of 17" (and I didn't want to chance it). So I went with an Outlaw sub knowing it was designed by HSU anyway (and was just a very slight downgrade from one of their best) and would definitely fit...
post #35 of 41 Old 05-28-2007, 01:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenW View Post

lin.john,

No, i haven't unfortunately. At the moment i'm looking at finding time to demo the Atlantic Technology 4200e system, and also having a look at the Blue Sky One 5.1 system.
The latter ones are active studio monitors, and while they should sound accurate they are a little bit big for them using as my rear speakers. I'd also have to make some significant changes to the wiring of my HT. Blue Sky also seems to have a lot of former M&K people on their payroll...
I'm saving my hopes for the AT 4200e system, which i hope to be listening to within the next two weeks. I'll post my findings here if you like.
It is indeed hard to forget the demo of the M&K for us as well, even though we only listened to the 850's.

Patrick Bennett,
I'd be very interested in your review of the Sierra's. From what i've read about the Sierra's so far, they were designed for the semi high-end HiFi market.
As I said before, there are only a few companies that i feel are "true" surround sound companies. I'm not sure about where Ascend stands. While they don't produce full HiFi speakers, they also don't have sub's or dipoles. With the Sierra, i get the impression they are focussing more on (2-channel) HiFi than HT\\surround sound.

Some of these companies may have former M&K employees on their payrolls but the one person they do not have is the audio genius Ken Kreisel
post #36 of 41 Old 05-28-2007, 03:42 AM - Thread Starter

Certainly true, but i think it takes more than an "audio genius" to create a speaker. The designers have picked things up at M&K and\\or from mr. Kreisel. But indeed, it remains to be seen if M&K's expertise and\\or sound gets lost when they are at another company.

An another note: has anybody noticed that the closure statement that is on the MKSound (www.mksound.com) consumer website is absent on the MK Pro site (www.mkprosound.com)?
I don't know if this means something, but it certainly caught my attention. Plus, the whole China thing does not really apply to the Pro speaker lines from what i gather. May be wrong though...

DenW
post #37 of 41 Old 05-28-2007, 07:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 421
Someone had posted in a different forum(about powered monitors) that they own M&K S-150's and they had owned many studio monitors including genelec, blue sky, mackie, and others and he said he felt none of them had the dynamics and sounstage of the M&K's. I thought that was interesting.
post #38 of 41 Old 05-28-2007, 08:09 AM
Advanced Member

At this point, it doesn't really matter how great M&Ks are. We know they *were* great, but the point of the thread is that they're gone and what can we substitute them with. Some 'might' be able to find some still new M&Ks or buy them used, but condition (or authenticity) will always be suspect and the warranty doesn't mean much anymore.

As for the pro site vs the regular site, my guess is no one is home and they just haven't bothered to update it. The regular site was always a really poor site and wasn't updated very often, so it wouldn't surprise me a bit if they just stopped bothering.
post #39 of 41 Old 05-28-2007, 09:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 421
That is why I mentioned it, he may not like the ones I mentioned. He mentioned the blue sky and he may not like them, but then again he may. You have to give your impressions on the acsends once you get them. One day my M&K's will die, and then I will be looking myself.
post #40 of 41 Old 05-28-2007, 01:46 PM - Thread Starter

Patrick,
Re-reading my earlier post you may have gotten the impression that i have some doubts about the Ascends. That is certainly not the case, as I too have read many great things about them (and nothing too negative \\ unexpected i might add...). I'm very much interested in your opinion of the Sierra system once you get them, so please let us know what you think.

Yes, this thread is about finding a substitute for the M&K consumer line. However, the more information i gather, the more i come to see how unique M&K really was, in that they were essentially a Studio Monitor manufacturer with a Surround sound design philosophy, who made much of their technology\\performance available in consumer models. I have yet to find a Studio monitor company that also makes consumer models, let alone one that also has surround sound as their base design philosophy. I won't even mention (active) dipoles or tripoles....
While Atlantic Technology does not make studio monitors, they appear to have a strong base in surround philosophy, and they won't shy away from bi\\dipoles. So that's what i'm going to listen to next. However, if anyone has good suggestions i'm all ears...

I intend to keep you guys updated on what i'm looking at and finding out, but as i have to plan these things this may take a couple of days or longer, so please bear with me...

Thanks all!!

DenW
post #41 of 41 Old 05-28-2007, 02:50 PM
Advanced Member

DenW, if they're in your price range you should give Triad a listen as well.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page