Legacy Audio Speakers - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes

post #271 of 501 Old 02-19-2013, 11:51 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Either should work just fine with Legacy speakers. Good luck with the bidding!

Fine Music, Movies, Wine, and Friends - A Life Well Lived!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 501 Old 03-18-2013, 06:36 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
For closure's sake I ended up going with a ma6500 as I was really liking the affordability and I'm pleased.

thank you gentlemen
post #273 of 501 Old 03-18-2013, 12:48 PM

Great!

Please let us know how your McIntosh MA6500 integrated amp pairs and sounds with your Legacy speakers. I know Bill D has used McIntosh amps on occassion in the Legacy Audio listening room, so it should be a pretty good match....

post #274 of 501 Old 03-20-2013, 12:03 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Congrats avas69! I've clocked some time on that amp with Legacy speakers- they will serve you well!
post #275 of 501 Old 03-23-2013, 08:59 AM

Liked: 10
Well I don't know that I could talk about my combo in the decorated audio vernacular that we read about in glossy magazines...

My first experience as I mentioned was with a Rotel. The room was a long carpeted hallway with trade show like booths separated by curtains. The speakers were 6-7 feet apart and I was about 8 feet back. My experience was that the rotel was quite detailed, I dare say distracting? Dave Weckl's shimmered in layers. On Michael Nyman's Saveoursoullissa the didgeridoo like sound sounded organic and as the piece went on each added instrumentation never clouded. How much of this is contributed to the Legacies? I'm not that educated. Oh, I remember thinking Eva Cassidy came back from the dead.

Bringing the legacies home my Denon made them sound dull and lifeless in my living room to my ears and I was eager to be done with it.

What can I say about the ma6500, without a doubt a huge improvement and I'm no longer 2nd guessing my speaker choice, however my quandary now is if I prefer hyper-detail and/or if I need to do something to my living room OR to contradict an earlier statement; did I purchase the right speakers for my living room? Again, I'm not that educated...yet.

I do believe I have them positioned properly for a great center image, 11ft apart and a bit more than 12 feet back for the listening position. They're about 16 inches from the back wall and I would pressing my luck with the wife if I were to move them forward but I'm going to experiment when she's out. Also I'm going to try to move them closer but the problem with that is they're in front of some windows, any closer together and there goes the wife again, although the room has 2 other large windows and a sliding glass door no doubt adding reflections.

I'm going to give it some more time while I move things around.

cheers

av
post #276 of 501 Old 04-17-2013, 06:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 45
I've skimmed through this thread and haven't seen anything about the smaller systems. I don't have room for anything larger than the Expression. Anyone using those out there?

I'm particular thinking about a pair of Expressions with a Metro sub and possibly the smaller center (is that the Cinema?). My center shelf can't hold more than 30 or so pounds. I suppose I could place the center on the console but that muddies the sound a bit.

The above would be driven by a Parasound A52 and managed by an old Aragon.

My musical interests tends toward classical and jazz, some pop. The Expressions would also be the centerpiece of an HT setup.
post #277 of 501 Old 04-17-2013, 09:31 AM

Welcome Artur9!

You're right, Legacy's larger speakers always seem to get the most press! But before I graduated to the larger speakers, I started out with Studios first, and they are fantastic bookshelf speakers that punch WAY above their size.

I have not personally heard the Expressions, however they have the same spiral ribbon tweeter that are in my Phantom surrounds, and the same 8" woofers that are in my Studio HD rear surrounds, and both of those speakers sound great in my system.

The spiral ribbon tweeter has a wider dispersion zone than the AMT tweeters, so that will give you a wider sweet spot. The 8" silver-graphite woofer is a high quality driver with a massive motor structure and long excursion. The Expression speakers will do a great job for you in a small system. Bass extension will get you down to a solid 40Hz, although I would probably crossover to the Metro subwoofer around 80 Hz, and the Metro will extend down to about 20Hz, in-room.

Yes, the Cinema HD is the small center channel. It was designed for tight spaces in AV cabinets, but it can also be used on shelves. It weighs 18 lbs, and would be a good match for the system you are proposing. The larger Silverscreen HD center weighs 42 lbs, and while it will sound better, it would be too heavy for your shelf.

Overall, I think what you are proposing would be a very nice, well-balanced system. You might want to consider some surround speakers too, if you are going for home theater. The Studio HDs make great surrounds, as well as the Deco, depending on where you need to mount them. If you can find a way to make the Silverscreen HD work, it will make all of your movies sound much better, since the center channel really is the most important speaker in a HT system.

Feel free to ask any questions, and I will help you out any way I can.

post #278 of 501 Old 04-19-2013, 04:19 PM
Advanced Member

I hope I'm not committing a faux pas here but has anyone done a head-to-head with the Expression vs the Gallo CL-3?

As I've said, I'm mostly interested in a somewhat smaller speaker.
post #279 of 501 Old 04-19-2013, 05:07 PM

Nope.... not me...

post #280 of 501 Old 04-20-2013, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artur9 View Post

I hope I'm not committing a faux pas here but has anyone done a head-to-head with the Expression vs the Gallo CL-3?

As I've said, I'm mostly interested in a somewhat smaller speaker.

How about a set of Legacy Studio HDs? They punch way above their size, and have extension down to 40 Hz. You could add a subwoofer and have a very nice, small footprint system. Plus, the Legacy Studios look much better than Gallo CL-3 does, too... biggrin.gif

post #281 of 501 Old 04-21-2013, 10:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMark1 View Post

How about a set of Legacy Studio HDs? They punch way above their size, and have extension down to 40 Hz. You could add a subwoofer and have a very nice, small footprint system. Plus, the Legacy Studios look much better than Gallo CL-3 does, too... biggrin.gif

The Gallos are strange looking. I think that's something they do intentionally.

I was curious about the Studio's versus the Expression. As I've mentioned, I don't want to go too much above 36in high speakers. Part of the problem is the wife doesn't understand why speakers have to be bigger. I own some Cambridge Audio Minxes and she said the Minx 20s were too big!

Personally, I find the Expressions more attractive than the Studios. When I give them a listen, I will have to look at what I lose going downsized. What's your opinion on that?

Right now we have B&W M-1 for HT. They mount nicely on the wall and are fine for home theater but I found them very fatiguing for music.
post #282 of 501 Old 04-30-2013, 05:12 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Has anyone compared the Whisper XD to the B&W or Kef Refrence Range?

Home Theatre: Onkyo PR SC 5509, ATI 3007 Danley SH50, Danley SH69, Danley SH100 (Rear), Seaton Subwoofer X 2, Custom Made Acoustic Panels and Bass Traps.

2 Channel System: Philharmonics 3, GD Audio Master 2 Mono Blocks, GD Audio Master 1 Pre-Amp. Wireworld Eclipse Gold 5 Silver XLR, Clear Day...
post #283 of 501 Old 04-30-2013, 12:35 PM

Quote:

The Gallos are strange looking. I think that's something they do intentionally.

I was curious about the Studio's versus the Expression. As I've mentioned, I don't want to go too much above 36in high speakers. Part of the problem is the wife doesn't understand why speakers have to be bigger. I own some Cambridge Audio Minxes and she said the Minx 20s were too big!

Personally, I find the Expressions more attractive than the Studios. When I give them a listen, I will have to look at what I lose going downsized. What's your opinion on that?

Right now we have B&W M-1 for HT. They mount nicely on the wall and are fine for home theater but I found them very fatiguing for music.

Artur,

The main difference between the Studio and the Expression is that the Expression will extend the bass authority down to about 35 Hz in-room, due to it's larger cabinet and second 8" woofer. The Expression will also throw a little bit larger soundstage, giving you a greater "sense of scale". THis is true with all Leagacy speakers as you go up the range of models. In addition, the Expression is slightly more sensitive than the Studios - 94db vs 93db sensitivity. Both are good choices, the main advantage being that with the Expression, you don't have to worry about buying additional speaker stands! wink.gif

Just tell you wife that she doesn't have to understand it, but like most things in life, BIGGER IS BETTER! smile.gif

post #284 of 501 Old 05-09-2013, 10:42 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Hi All,

I want to pull the trigger on either The Whisper XD or the New Aeris. I needed some input from fellow members who have had the chance to listen to both. If money is no object which would you purchase and why?

Home Theatre: Onkyo PR SC 5509, ATI 3007 Danley SH50, Danley SH69, Danley SH100 (Rear), Seaton Subwoofer X 2, Custom Made Acoustic Panels and Bass Traps.

2 Channel System: Philharmonics 3, GD Audio Master 2 Mono Blocks, GD Audio Master 1 Pre-Amp. Wireworld Eclipse Gold 5 Silver XLR, Clear Day...
post #285 of 501 Old 05-12-2013, 07:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked: 352
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassfeen View Post

Hi All,

I want to pull the trigger on either The Whisper XD or the New Aeris. I needed some input from fellow members who have had the chance to listen to both. If money is no object which would you purchase and why?

I listened to both at AXPONA 2013. Although the Aeris definitely has the aesthetic advantage, the whisper is undoubtedly in another league. Bill played a raw, unprocessed drum recording, and the dynamics in the whisper were outstanding. Seasoned Audiophiles were jumping in their seats at times. If cost is no object, I'd go with the Whispers in a heartbeat.
post #286 of 501 Old 05-15-2013, 05:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Black Pearl Focus SE pair with Marquis HD: eta two weeks!!!!!cool.gif
post #287 of 501 Old 05-15-2013, 06:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrolicBeast View Post

Black Pearl Focus SE pair with Marquis HD: eta two weeks!!!!!cool.gif

Green with envy over here.
post #288 of 501 Old 05-15-2013, 06:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Green with envy over here.

Bro, I'm envious of the folks at Legacy HQ because they'll see/hear them before I will. Lol.
post #289 of 501 Old 06-03-2013, 08:52 PM
AVS Special Member

THE LEGACIES HAVE ARRIVED!!!

Special shout out to DMark1 (Dennis) for being an awesome dealer and helping get these into my theater! Impressions are forthcoming biggrin.gif
post #290 of 501 Old 06-04-2013, 09:43 AM
Advanced Member

I looked through your home theater thread but didn't find how you came to the decision for Legacy? As opposed to the Cat12?
post #291 of 501 Old 06-04-2013, 10:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I looked through your home theater thread but didn't find how you came to the decision for Legacy? As opposed to the Cat12?

There were a few reasons, but the top reasons were 1) tweeter preference, 2) full range capability, and 3) Aesthetics.
post #292 of 501 Old 06-04-2013, 10:07 AM
AVS Special Member

The Journey Begins

As some folks may be aware, I lived very happily with a Klipsch RF-82/62-based system for nearly 6 years; however, as my passion for the Home Theater hobby grew, I began to fall in love with music as well and I soon began yearning for aa major upgrade. My first upgrade plan was for the GoldenEar TritonTwo towers when they first took the industry by storm. Then, I went to demo them and their performance was too close to my Klipsch speakers to warrant the upgrade cost. Then, I began going to A/V dealers across the DC area, demoing many, many speakers including B&W, Totem, Paradigm, PSB, Focal, Monitor Audio, and the list goes on—all in search of the perfect speaker and I did not find it. In my journey, I discovered that I wanted an unconventional tweeter. I use the term unconventional because Ribbons, Folded Motion Tweeters, and Air Motion Tweeters all fell into this category and, to me, sound better than traditional dome tweeters. Trust me, it took months of demoing before I discovered that this was my preference. So, with that out of the way, I needed to define my parameters for low-end performance. In all honesty, the two best Full Range speakers I had heard in my journey to this point were 1) B&W 800Ds and 2) Totem Wind Designs. Both had insane bass extention, and although the highs sound good, they didn’t have that special crispness that comes with unconventional tweeters. So, now I knew that in addition to an unconventional tweeter, I’d also need a speaker that matched or surpassed the low-end prowess of the B&W or Totem speakers. With those two requirements etched, I narrowed my search, and my A/V dealer visits became a lot less frequent since there are only a handful of manufacturers that make products that met both of my newly minted requirements. I was ready to give up and to just continue enjoying my Klipsch speakers, instead of upgrading for the sake of upgrading…but then, I met Dennis…

Dealing With Dennis:

Late last year, MikeDuke brought to my attention a music server he was considering. I expressed my interest, at which point Mike told me the person to talk to—Dmark1(Dennis). I gladly accepted the contact information, and intended to touch base with him, but didn’t get around to it. Then, one day, I got a PM from Dennis saying that Mike informed him of my interest in the music server and that I could feel free to ask him any questions I had about it. He ended the message with one sentence that would change my theater forever: “As a matter of full disclosure, I’m also a Legacy Audio Dealer.” You see, I spent a few months admiring Legacy Speakers from afar, but had never come across them in my dealer journey, so I never had the opportunity to give them a listen and always wanted to.

So, I responded to Dennis, explaining that I had been considering giving Legacy speakers a listen (at this point, my only association with Legacy was with the massive Whispers), and after some discussion over models and what could work for me, he invited me up for a listen. Life Changing? Yes indeed. I drove up to Dennis’ place in PA, which was about an hour and a half away from my house (shorter than a DC commute on a workday) and as soon as I got into his basement, the physical presence of his Focus SE’s in their Rosewood finish immediately floored me. The first thing I said was “These things are huge!” Then, I saw his Signature SE’s in black pearl finish, and I finally understood what all the buzz was about. We sat, started some listening as Dennis gave me a quick synopsis of Legacy’s background. I also met Craig John that day, and we all had a great time listening. Here’s what sealed the deal for me. Upon hearing the tweeters in the Focuses, I realized that these were the best tweeters I had ever heard, ticking all the boxes that I needed from an unconventional tweeter. I wondered how the low end performed. Well, we played a track called Hearbeat (Head-FI, Open Your Ears from www.hdtracks.com) and the low end produced by the Focus SE’s was so authoritative, it all clicked together. We compared the track with the Submerisve on and with only the Focuses having bass, and the performance was identical. Here was a speaker that had the high end crispness I love so much, coupled with the low end prowess that I required. It was at this moment in January that I decided I would purchasing Legacy Focuses, and whichever center speaker was their match.

Paying with Dennis

Let me get this out of the way. I do not use credit-cards for hobbies. I did it in college, and I got into trouble that took me years to get out of. So, you see, I had a dilemma. Here, we have Legacy mains and center channel for which the combined MSRP is nearly $15,000, but I refuse to use a credit card to pay for it. So, it had to be pure cash. I spoke to Dennis about my concerns, and he allowed me to split my payments into three installments, starting in March of this year. We got the speakers ordered in April, and they were build and ready for my room by the end of May 

A Dream [Nearly] Deferred

Now, this Legacy purchase almost didn’t happen. Life-events made it extremely difficult to make that final payment on this Legacy Trio. I was ready to cancel and just get a set of Aperions. Dennis said “give me a call and I’ll see what I can do.” I called him that evening, and after explaining the situation, he made a slight adjustment to the terms we agreed on to assist in this procurement. The adjustment was juuuust enough of a difference to get me back on track for that final payment on the Legacies. Now, here is one of the reasons why Dennis is so awesome to work with…his adjustment ate into his own profit margin. He essentially made a sacrifice to ensure I could get these Legacies. I know of NO other dealer that has ever done that. I couldn’t have purchased these speakers without his ability to work with me, and for that—I am extremely grateful!!

Aesthetic Impressions

To call the Legacy Focus SE and Marquis HD “gorgeous” is a severe understatement. They come packaged in a velvet bag, tied with string at one end. Very high quality, to be sure. Removing the bag off these sexy speakers is an experience in and of itself. The slight sparkle of the black pearl flecks really speaks to the attention to detail and pure quality that Legacy Audio offers. I can’t imagine owning a better-finished speaker—and as I mentioned earlier, I’ve pretty much seen all the finishes out there, from automotive-grade Red to plain Oak veneer. These take the cake. The only speaker finish that comes close are Salk’s offerings, which is demoed at Axpona 2013—their finishes are absolutely breath-taking, but the Legacy finishes are Lung-taking! 

Audio Impressions [TO BE UPDATED ONCE AMPLIFIERS ARRIVE]

So far, my impressions of the audio performance of the Legacies is overwhelmingly positive without a doubt. I recently sold my Emotiva XPA-5 to assist with an amp upgrade and am using a Denon AVR-4310 to power the Legacies. They are quite sensitive and I can play at comfortable volumes (-15 below reference) without any sense of strain. To be sure—these speakers will NOT sound their best with receiver, as I know what they sound like with adequate power driving them. The bass is very tight and is extremely authoritative.

This section will be updated to a full performance review once I get my new amps.

- Matt
post #293 of 501 Old 06-04-2013, 07:52 PM

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Thanks so much for that awesome review. I look forward to reading the rest of it when you get the new amps. I confess I am quite jealous! I've admired Legacy from afar for probably 15 years now. Enjoy!

post #294 of 501 Old 06-05-2013, 06:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkeeler10 View Post

Thanks so much for that awesome review. I look forward to reading the rest of it when you get the new amps. I confess I am quite jealous! I've admired Legacy from afar for probably 15 years now. Enjoy!

You're very welcome! Hey man--I'd definitely say contact Dennis (DMark1) if you've been admiring Legacy from afar. He can probably get some gear into your theater in a reasonable time-frame.
post #295 of 501 Old 06-05-2013, 06:48 AM

Dennis and I have communicated about this. I would be looking at the Studio HDs. However, I have to sell some other gear first, which has proven very difficult to do at a reasonable price unfortunately.

post #296 of 501 Old 06-05-2013, 07:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Dennis and I have communicated about this. I would be looking at the Studio HDs. However, I have to sell some other gear first, which has proven very difficult to do at a reasonable price unfortunately.

Tell me about it! Anytime I sell older gear to make room for new gear, i always take a larger loss than I'd like to. It's difficult to balance what the gear is really worth against what people are willing to pay for it. And let's not even get into the struggle if someone else is selling the same gear you are--changes of selling are split by at least 50%.

I am intimately familiar with the sturggle bro.
post #297 of 501 Old 06-09-2013, 10:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Video: Legacy Focus SE & Marquis HD [First Look]
post #298 of 501 Old 06-09-2013, 04:07 PM

Cool man they look and sound great!

If you like Nickel Creek and vocal harmonies in general, and if you have not discovered The Wailin Jennys, check them out.

post #299 of 501 Old 06-09-2013, 06:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Cool man they look and sound great!

If you like Nickel Creek and vocal harmonies in general, and if you have not discovered The Wailin Jennys, check them out.

Thanks for the heads-up on The Wailin' Jennys.....I'll be sure to explore their work via my Sonos system tonight. If I like them (which I suspect I shall), I'll pursue some of their high-res work.
post #300 of 501 Old 06-09-2013, 07:26 PM

Liked: 20
Man o Man they look beautiful !!!
they sound very nice even from my computer, can't wait to hear them with whichever mono blocks you choose to get!
Once again Matt, congrats on a very very fine speaker choice, I'm sure you are going to be happy for a long time to come.

Reply Speakers

Tags
Legacy Audio

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page