Legacy Audio Speakers - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes

post #361 of 501 Old 08-27-2013, 01:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Yes, that was a fantastic review. My copy of TAS arrive with the back third of the pages ripped in half, with the ripped half gone. Of course, that's where the Aeris review showed up -- the main thing I was interested in for that issue! I had to wait a couple weeks until Legacy posted a link to the review on their site. I wasn't aware that the reviewer decided to buy his review pair of the Aeris -- I think that says a lot, much more than any rave review on paper alone can.

Speaking of reviews, I've been keeping up with Kris Deering's threads to see if an opinion of the Focus/Marquis/Phantom setup will emerge. He had a big get-together at his house a week or so ago, and had the Legacies set up in his theater for it. He and a couple others gave a quick shout-out to them in their comprehensive reviews of the whole event, and it sounds like people were really impressed with them. I do hope to hear from more event attendees soon, and especially from Kris who I hope will write up a more detailed review of that setup.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 501 Old 08-29-2013, 08:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 80
I was at that event and was able to play a few of my favorite hi-rez discs and listen to unfamiliar music via music server both in 2 channel and 5.1.
The sound was phenomenal.
Kris' system and room all combine to get the most out of everything in the chain.
I was actually a bit surprised at the price of the Focus SEs, $9-10k certainly isn't cheap but to me, in the hour or so of dedicated listening they should be considered by anyone looking to spend that amount.

It ain't ignorance causes so much trouble; it's folks knowing so much that ain't so

post #363 of 501 Old 08-29-2013, 02:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Liked: 381
I heard nothing but great things from the people at the GTG about the Legacy's and with good reason. They sound fantastic. I absolutely love my Paradigm Signature Reference S8s. They have served me well from day one. The Focus SE is every bit as good so far with improvements in some areas. They are more forgiving with harder, brighter material. Normally I would say this results in a speaker that is a bit rolled off but that just doesn't seem to be the case. All the detail I hear in the best recordings on my S8s is there, but a lot of the harshness I hear with some recordings is vastly more tolerable with the Focus. I only had them installed for a couple days before the event and since the event I haven't had the amount of time I'd like to listen to more music. But every minute I've spent with them has been exquisite so far. These speakers have definitely earned every bit of praise I'd heard about them long before they were in my room. I am really hoping that I'll get more time with them over the next few weeks to listen more. With a 1 year old and a 3 year old in the house, I don't get as much time as I used to. But I'm making every effort I can to find it and listen.

Senior Video Editor
Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity

Click Here To See My Current Setup
post #364 of 501 Old 08-29-2013, 03:50 PM

^ cool.gif

I hear ya on the kids. I have four young ones myself, and I rarely get uninterrupted time to sit and listen to music sadly. I practically insist on watching at least one movie per week, which I can get away with because my wife enjoys doing that.

Thanks for chiming in some more on the Legacies.

post #365 of 501 Old 08-29-2013, 07:36 PM
AVS Special Member

I will have a lot more to chime in on soon. Just want to get them dialed in a bit more and have some more time to listen. But so far, these are phenomenal.

Senior Video Editor

post #366 of 501 Old 08-30-2013, 09:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Deering View Post

I will have a lot more to chime in on soon. Just want to get them dialed in a bit more and have some more time to listen. But so far, these are phenomenal.
Dialed in Deering? A bit more? Really? biggrin.gif
Sheesh.
I'm gonna take the liberty of going a bit OT since I don't have Legacy speakers but I do have 3 sets of speakers with 3 different types of tweeters and they all sound a bit different.
I concur with Kris although my experience with ribbons and beryllium tweeters was the other way round.
I had ribbons first and then the metal domes.
The Legacy's use a folded ribbon and mine are aluminum so there may be differences there but they are more forgiving if that is an apt description, without giving up detail and a great sense of air.
My beryllium tweeted speakers can portray certain recordings in a more unforgiving manner but other recordings really soar with the same detail and air as the ribbons.

Obviously there's much much more to the equation that just the tweeter configuration and material but Kris's system and mine have some commonality in the source, pre-amp and amps we use, although he's using 1kw XPR-1s, mine are lowly XPA-1Ls and his speaker cables are 3" thick elevated fire hoses. biggrin.gif
Ok, I exaggerated. They're not elevated.
Again, apologies for butting in, but I thought it interesting that I had the same impressions.

Honestly. If I had not bought my current speakers yet, I would be giving serious consideration to the Focus SEs.

It ain't ignorance causes so much trouble; it's folks knowing so much that ain't so

post #367 of 501 Old 09-02-2013, 08:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Here are some pictures my buddy took last night of the new Focus stuff in the room. Pictures still don't do these things justice with Legacy's divine finish.

Good times!!

Senior Video Editor

post #368 of 501 Old 09-03-2013, 11:39 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
GORGEOUS KRIS!!! Just Gorgeous!!

Fine Music, Movies, Wine, and Friends - A Life Well Lived!
post #369 of 501 Old 09-03-2013, 12:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Yea, I have to say that it looks like a pretty incredible setup. I am glad the GTG was such a huge success.

It ain't easy being green.
My System
post #370 of 501 Old 09-03-2013, 01:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks guys! More to come!

Also, if you're in the Seattle area and interested in hearing the Legacy stuff, shoot me a PM!

Senior Video Editor

post #371 of 501 Old 09-03-2013, 01:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Dangerous (for me) question. Has anyone done a comparison between the Focus SE and Focus HD? Looking at specs, I know they have the same frequency response, the HD is 1.5" wider, 2.375" shallower, 5 lbs. lighter and around $1800 less expensive. But what about sound?
post #372 of 501 Old 09-03-2013, 03:12 PM
AVS Special Member

You can read up on the changes over on their website. Higher tolerances, completely different tweeters and quite a bit of change to the cabinetry. How much it affects the sound though, don't know.

Senior Video Editor

post #373 of 501 Old 09-03-2013, 07:25 PM

Liked: 20
Will you be doing a review for Home Theater Mag?

Don't follow me, I'm lost too -Unknown
SETUP: PC with JRiver MC and PS3 -> Onkyo TX-SR705 via HDMI -> Sierra-2 LCR & Energy Take Classic surrounds \-> Epson 8350
Check out GEEK WAVE: A digital audio player and high quality DAC for your smartphone Check it out HERE
post #374 of 501 Old 09-04-2013, 02:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You can read up on the changes over on their website. Higher tolerances, completely different tweeters and quite a bit of change to the cabinetry. How much it affects the sound though, don't know.

I now find the specs in the manuals differ from those on the website, so things are more confusing.
post #375 of 501 Old 09-04-2013, 06:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliwankenobi View Post

Will you be doing a review for Home Theater Mag?

Not sure yet. That is up to the powers that be, namely my editors.

Senior Video Editor

post #376 of 501 Old 09-04-2013, 06:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by prepress View Post

I now find the specs in the manuals differ from those on the website, so things are more confusing.

I'd just call or email them. I'm sure they'd be happy to get you any info you need. Or PM Dmark1, he is a dealer.

Senior Video Editor

post #377 of 501 Old 09-04-2013, 01:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'd just call or email them. I'm sure they'd be happy to get you any info you need. Or PM Dmark1, he is a dealer.

Actually, I did e-mail and got a response earlier today. The manual is correct on the specs, but the website is correct on weight. the SE goes 2Hz lower than the HD (16Hz vs. 18Hz; either is a room-shaker), and the SE weighs 138 (website), not 200 lbs (manual). Shipping weights are 177 and 172 respectively (website).

The Signature SE would be a more realistic option room-wise, and it goes low too (22Hz), but the Focus SE gets a lot of good press. I found a review of the Signature SE and the reviewer has the same amps I do, as well as Kimber and Transparent cables (though not my same ones). I'll go over that review carefully; in skimming it, he says the Signatures are sensitive to room placement. Have you found the Focus SE similar in that regard?
post #378 of 501 Old 09-04-2013, 01:50 PM

All box speakers are "sensitive to room placement" to some extent.... so, that comment is kind of a cop out, IMHO. Also, there are some speaker contour switches on the backs of the speakers to help tame difficult rooms. The Aeris and Whispers are less sensitive to placement because of their dipole design, which reduces output to the sides for less room interaction (less reflections from the room boundaries).

I have a trio of Signature SEs, and a pair of Focus SEs, if you'd like to take a train ride down to Lancaster PA and come hear/compare them side by side. (I also have the Whisper XDs, just for fun :-))

Both are excellent speakers with similar "family sound". The main differences between them are:

1. The Focus SE is about 3dB more efficient than the Signature SE
2. You get a larger overall soundstage presentation with the Focus SE
3. The Focus SE images higher than the Signature SE
and
4. The Focus has deeper bass extension. (16 Hz vs. 22 Hz)

I also feel that the Focus gives you the feeling you are sitting near the front of a stage, while the Signature sounds like you are sitting a few rows back, but that's just my opinion. Both are very satisfying speakers which are very capable performers at their pricepoints.

Feel free to contact me for a time to come down and give them a listen!

post #379 of 501 Old 09-04-2013, 03:15 PM

Hey DMark1,

What acoustically transparent screen do you use, and how much effect do you think it has on frequency response? Just curious -- I am seriously considering the Seymour Centerstage XD AT screen with Studio HD behind it when I can finally upgrade. Do you run all three speakers behind it? I'm not sure I can handle a screen wide enough to make that realistic for me (experimentation at a family member's house who has a projector suggests that I don't really want to be more than 40 degrees wide). Therefore my left and right speakers will likely not fire through the AT screen, but of course the center will. Don't want to have a significant mismatch tonally on the center because of the screen.

post #380 of 501 Old 09-05-2013, 07:14 AM

Hi Brian,

Currently, I have a DIY 100" wide screen I made using the Sheerweave fabric, but I will be getting a Seymour AV 16:9 CenterStage XD screen with motorized masking very soon.

The CenterStage XD fabric has very little audible effect on the sound of the speakers. If you have room correction like Audyssey, you needn't worry about it, as Audyssey will correct for any slight attenuation in the treble region.

Here is the actual data on the measured frequency response effects of the CenterStage XD fabric:

Average 2k-20kHz, dBA Center Stage XD -0.7dB Black Backing -0.3dB
Average 8k-20kHz, dBA Center Stage XD -1.5dB Black Backing -0.3dB
Average 16k-20kHz, dBA Center Stage XD -2.0dB Black Backing -0.5dB

(BTW, I am now an authorized dealer for Seymour AV, so contact me for special pricing when you are ready to get your screen). :-)

Currently, I have my L and R speakers just outside the screen border, but the center channel is behind the screen. But, if I get a larger screen, I may move my L & Rs behind the screen too.

I believe Seymour AV recomends the screen viewing angle as 35-40 degrees.
http://seymourav.com/screens.asp

THX recommends a 45 degree speaker angle from center for the L & R speakers.
http://www.thx.com/consumer/home-entertainment/home-theater/surround-sound-speaker-set-up/

I hope that helps!

post #381 of 501 Old 09-12-2013, 08:58 PM

Thanks Dmark. PM sent.

post #382 of 501 Old 09-13-2013, 02:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMark1 View Post

All box speakers are "sensitive to room placement" to some extent.... so, that comment is kind of a cop out, IMHO. Also, there are some speaker contour switches on the backs of the speakers to help tame difficult rooms. The Aeris and Whispers are less sensitive to placement because of their dipole design, which reduces output to the sides for less room interaction (less reflections from the room boundaries).

I have a trio of Signature SEs, and a pair of Focus SEs, if you'd like to take a train ride down to Lancaster PA and come hear/compare them side by side. (I also have the Whisper XDs, just for fun :-))

Both are excellent speakers with similar "family sound". The main differences between them are:

1. The Focus SE is about 3dB more efficient than the Signature SE
2. You get a larger overall soundstage presentation with the Focus SE
3. The Focus SE images higher than the Signature SE
and
4. The Focus has deeper bass extension. (16 Hz vs. 22 Hz)

I also feel that the Focus gives you the feeling you are sitting near the front of a stage, while the Signature sounds like you are sitting a few rows back, but that's just my opinion. Both are very satisfying speakers which are very capable performers at their pricepoints.

Feel free to contact me for a time to come down and give them a listen!

Thanks for the information. The reason I cited the Signature's bass extension as pretty good to me is that this is a small room in a 1BR apartment (14 x 18.5), and I'm concerned that anything lower than 25Hz or so may be overkill (my current speakers go down to a respectable 30Hz). But as you say I can turn down the bass, whether from my preamp or at the speaker.
post #383 of 501 Old 09-13-2013, 02:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Keep in mind that that the lower end of the speaker is also interesting because of the subwoofer crossover (if you're using one). You need a good octave below the crossover frequency with the loudspeaker, but also above the crossover frequency with the sub. This plays into things a bit because if the crossover is high enough the sub will start to creep into the mid bass region a bit. This certainly wouldn't be the case with the speakers you're talking about here, but it's always something to keep in mind. So in this case with your speakers (30 Hz) you'd have to have a minimum crossover of 60 Hz for your mains which means the sub (if crossed over the same) will be providing info all the way up to 120 Hz. The smaller a speaker gets, the higher these numbers start to climb.

Senior Video Editor

post #384 of 501 Old 10-01-2013, 02:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Keep in mind that that the lower end of the speaker is also interesting because of the subwoofer crossover (if you're using one). You need a good octave below the crossover frequency with the loudspeaker, but also above the crossover frequency with the sub. This plays into things a bit because if the crossover is high enough the sub will start to creep into the mid bass region a bit. This certainly wouldn't be the case with the speakers you're talking about here, but it's always something to keep in mind. So in this case with your speakers (30 Hz) you'd have to have a minimum crossover of 60 Hz for your mains which means the sub (if crossed over the same) will be providing info all the way up to 120 Hz. The smaller a speaker gets, the higher these numbers start to climb.

The room here is small, relatively speaking. I wouldn't be using a sub if I got Legacys, so no worries there. I don't use one now, either.
post #385 of 501 Old 10-12-2013, 07:12 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Kris - I noticed you are using the Emotiva XPR-1 to power the Legacy Focus SEs. I was at another site and they were just slamming Emotiva, are you still ok with them?
I noticed there are XPA-1s at Amazon for $999 and XPR-1s at Emotiva for $1499, I wonder about the difference in models. I am getting ready to head over to RMAF and listen to some equipment today!
post #386 of 501 Old 10-15-2013, 03:02 AM
AVS Special Member

The XPRs are 1000wpc, the XPAs are 500wpc. As far as I know that's the main difference.
post #387 of 501 Old 10-15-2013, 04:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 284
Actually, since this is the Legacy Audio thread, it would be more accurate to say the XPA-1's are 1000watts@4ohms and the XPR-1's are 1750watts@4ohms.

Max
post #388 of 501 Old 10-15-2013, 05:02 AM

Lol!

SETUP: PC with JRiver MC and PS3 -> Onkyo TX-SR705 via HDMI -> Sierra-2 LCR & Energy Take Classic surrounds \-> Epson 8350
Check out GEEK WAVE: A digital audio player and high quality DAC for your smartphone Check it out HERE
post #389 of 501 Old 10-20-2013, 08:06 PM

Liked: 11

Hi All,

I currently have Legacy Audio on my shortlist and I was wondering what

are some of the differences between the Classic HD and the Signature SE.

Would it be worth the price gap or am I better off spending the price difference

on better electronics. Thanks for any help in advance.

post #390 of 501 Old 10-21-2013, 04:31 AM

I guess it would depend on the electronics you already have. If I were you I would go with the Signature SE.. Their sealed design makes them easier to setup.. You also get lower freq extension and higher quality treble with the new dual amt tweeter..... I heard both, and they are both amazing speakers with a very similar sound signature.... Very accurate, but with the Sigs you just get more... Although they are very efficient in design... They appreciate good power amps..

Reply Speakers

Tags
Legacy Audio

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page