Legacy Audio Speakers - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 491 Old 02-28-2014, 08:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Most Legacy speakers can be identified by photo- if you email me your photo to jamest at legacyaudio dot com, I can take a look for you and assist.

Best,

James at Legacy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 491 Old 02-28-2014, 08:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhrischuk View Post

How do we know what the version is of a Legacy speaker?

Hell, there was a time not too long ago when it was tough to find out just exactly what Legacy speaker you were looking at. smile.gif My pair of Focus H/D's were built in 2008 and do not even have their model number printed on the back plate (neither do my Signature III's that were built in '03).
post #453 of 491 Old 02-28-2014, 08:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesAtLegacy View Post

Most Legacy speakers can be identified by photo- if you email me your photo to jamest at legacyaudio dot com, I can take a look for you and assist.

Best,

James at Legacy

Looks like things are still the same. smile.gif
post #454 of 491 Old 03-01-2014, 04:33 PM

Hi Aaron, our speakers leave the factory with a serial number, although it is possible to remove the serial number from the cabinet.
Good to hear from another Focus HD owner!

Happy listening!
post #455 of 491 Old 03-02-2014, 11:02 AM
Advanced Member

Yep, I emailed the serial numbers to the mothership when I bought these last November and received a reply back from Doug Brown telling me when they were built, etc..

Focus HD's are a very enjoyable speaker (pretty impressed with the Sig III's as well).
post #456 of 491 Old 03-11-2014, 04:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Don't anyone get any ideas, but I have learned that there is a Legacy dealer here in NYC, Manhattan to be precise (Soho Audio Source). But from what I see, they have more of a recording studio environment; it's not a typical A/V store. In fact, they apparently do recording there and some big names use the place (Rick Rubin, for one). I wonder . . .
post #457 of 491 Old 03-29-2014, 09:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:

If anyone from the Texas area would like to visit the Austin Audio Fest, it is happening March 28th and 29th.
Legacy will have three large demo rooms, and we'll be playing the Whisper XDS, Focus SE, Signature SE and more!

It is free and there are prizes to be handed out as well.
More information is available here: http://legacyaudio.com/images/uploads/reviews/Austin_Audio_Fest_Press_Release.pdf

Happy listening!

James at Legacy

I just wanted to say I was able to make it to Austin for the Audio Fest today, and I wanted to give a shout out to Bill Duddleston, Legacy Audio, as well as Audio Systems of Austin. I was warmly welcomed and, as I was hungry by the time I got there, really enjoyed the fantastic spread of fruit, cheese, cookies, and drinks that was provided. I also very much enjoyed meeting and chatting a bit with Bill Duddleston, who took the time to give me some input on my system setup with a view to possibly incorporating new Legacy speakers.

Rotating demonstrations included the Whisper XD, Aeris, Focus SE, Signature HD, and Classic. I must say, if you have not heard the Whisper XD, you really, really need to, as it was the star of the show. I do not think I have heard its equal, in terms of open and dynamically uncompressed sound, and I have heard top end models from brands such as Revel, Sonus Faber, and Focal, just to mention a few. The clarity and articulation of high frequency details was also revelatory. The scale of the sound stage is staggering, and I would love to hear orchestra at full tilt through these. This Whisper has me recalculating how much I might be willing at some point to spend on a set of speakers!

The Aeris was also quite impressive, at a lower price range--very dynamic and musical, but not as open as the Whisper. The Focus SE, likewise, in its price range, is also very impressive when you compare to what you get in other brands. All in all, a very enjoyable visit!

post #458 of 491 Old 03-29-2014, 11:45 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtrot View Post

I just wanted to say I was able to make it to Austin for the Audio Fest today, and I wanted to give a shout out to Bill Duddleston, Legacy Audio, as well as Audio Systems of Austin. I was warmly welcomed and, as I was hungry by the time I got there, really enjoyed the fantastic spread of fruit, cheese, cookies, and drinks that was provided. I also very much enjoyed meeting and chatting a bit with Bill Duddleston, who took the time to give me some input on my system setup with a view to possibly incorporating new Legacy speakers.

Rotating demonstrations included the Whisper XD, Aeris, Focus SE, Signature HD, and Classic. I must say, if you have not heard the Whisper XD, you really, really need to, as it was the star of the show. I do not think I have heard its equal, in terms of open and dynamically uncompressed sound, and I have heard top end models from brands such as Revel, Sonus Faber, and Focal, just to mention a few. The clarity and articulation of high frequency details was also revelatory. The scale of the sound stage is staggering, and I would love to hear orchestra at full tilt through these. This Whisper has me recalculating how much I might be willing at some point to spend on a set of speakers!

The Aeris was also quite impressive, at a lower price range--very dynamic and musical, but not as open as the Whisper. The Focus SE, likewise, in its price range, is also very impressive when you compare to what you get in other brands. All in all, a very enjoyable visit!

Hi! 

Appreciate your impressions on the Legacies! I was wondering if you have heard Mcintosh Speakers? As you seem to put Legacy Speakers high up on a pedestal, and I personally don't have the privilege of hearing the Whispers yet but I do have access to other speakers in which I think Mcintosh are the best. Have you heard the Mcintosh Speakers?

post #459 of 491 Old 03-30-2014, 09:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by myap2328 View Post

Hi! 

Appreciate your impressions on the Legacies! I was wondering if you have heard Mcintosh Speakers? As you seem to put Legacy Speakers high up on a pedestal, and I personally don't have the privilege of hearing the Whispers yet but I do have access to other speakers in which I think Mcintosh are the best. Have you heard the Mcintosh Speakers?

Sorry, I have not heard them.

post #460 of 491 Old 03-31-2014, 12:25 AM

Quote:

Sorry, I have not heard them.

Thanks for Ur reply
post #461 of 491 Old 03-31-2014, 04:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hi! 

I heard the XRT1K in an all-McIntosh home theater system with Kaleidescape as the source. I was impressed. Clean, clear, nice detail. I've never heard Legacy speakers though, so I can't make comparisons.
post #462 of 491 Old 03-31-2014, 04:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prepress View Post

I heard the XRT1K in an all-McIntosh home theater system with Kaleidescape as the source. I was impressed. Clean, clear, nice detail. I've never heard Legacy speakers though, so I can't make comparisons.

Heard the XR50/200/T2K,

post #463 of 491 Old 03-31-2014, 05:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Heard the XR50/200/T2K,

Impressed by all actually. But I give the xr200 props for sounding so great at an acceptable price? Haven't really heard the rest of the brands at this range tho. Too expensive ><</div>

The XR200 is my fantasy speaker, along with the Focus SE. Realistically, I can't afford the XR200, and the Focus would be at my extreme limit. I'm pretty sure I'd be happy with either one, though, provided it wouldn't overwhelm my 14 x 18.5 room (10'9" ceiling). The room the XRT1K was in isn't tremendously larger than mine as I recall, so there may be hope on that score. In this room the only option is having speakers fire across the short dimension, so I'm about 10 ft. from the speakers' plane with the wall right behind me.
post #464 of 491 Old 03-31-2014, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prepress View Post

The XR200 is my fantasy speaker, along with the Focus SE. Realistically, I can't afford the XR200, and the Focus would be at my extreme limit. I'm pretty sure I'd be happy with either one, though, provided it wouldn't overwhelm my 14 x 18.5 room (10'9" ceiling). The room the XRT1K was in isn't tremendously larger than mine as I recall, so there may be hope on that score. In this room the only option is having speakers fire across the short dimension, so I'm about 10 ft. from the speakers' plane with the wall right behind me.

Apparently the XRT1k and the XR200 are two different designs totally. Id say what I always say and go with Ur ears!
post #465 of 491 Old 04-04-2014, 10:31 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hi,

If anyone is interested in my new pair of Legacy Audio Whisper XDS, Upgraded Internal Cables and Capacitors, Its on sale at the Audiogon site. Im selling off all my gear and the Danley are also for sale.

Home Theatre: Onkyo PR SC 5509, ATI 3007 Danley SH50, Danley SH69, Danley SH100 (Rear), Seaton Subwoofer X 2, Custom Made Acoustic Panels and Bass Traps.

2 Channel System: Philharmonics 3, GD Audio Master 2 Mono Blocks, GD Audio Master 1 Pre-Amp. Wireworld Eclipse Gold 5 Silver XLR, Clear Day...
post #466 of 491 Old 04-04-2014, 10:33 AM

Price is 12,000 Dollars Shipped to USA in a Wooden Crate, 3 Weeks Transit time. Approx 4-5 Months Old. Was upgraded by Legacy With Solid Core Internal Cables and Silver Cable for Super Tweeter. Vcaps on Crossover. Condition is perfect.

Home Theatre: Onkyo PR SC 5509, ATI 3007 Danley SH50, Danley SH69, Danley SH100 (Rear), Seaton Subwoofer X 2, Custom Made Acoustic Panels and Bass Traps.

2 Channel System: Philharmonics 3, GD Audio Master 2 Mono Blocks, GD Audio Master 1 Pre-Amp. Wireworld Eclipse Gold 5 Silver XLR, Clear Day...
post #467 of 491 Old 04-04-2014, 02:03 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Wow, gorgeous speakers and a great price! I wish I had the coin to do this -- those are my dream speakers in the finish I would want them. Good luck.

post #468 of 491 Old 04-05-2014, 08:32 AM

That's a serious bargain, Im selling all off my cables, Speakers, Systems.

Amplifiers are all sold off now, some cables left which are sold on Audio circle and audiogon. Now just left with the speakers to move out. All Cables were purchased from Chris at VH Audio, It used his new Solid Core Cables for midrange, Solid Silver UPOCC For Tweeter and Super Tweeter. Vcaps used as bypass and Clarity cap upgrades.

The price is cheap as the upgrades on caps and cables cost 1700 dollars on top of the price.

post #469 of 491 Old 04-05-2014, 06:15 PM

Liked: 18
Bassfeen

I wish I'd have the money to buy them!!! I've never seen anything like it!! You should have no problems in selling them

Don't follow me, I'm lost too -Unknown
SETUP: PC with JRiver MC and PS3 -> Onkyo TX-SR705 via HDMI -> Sierra-2 LCR & Energy Take Classic surrounds \-> Epson 8350
Check out GEEK WAVE: A digital audio player and high quality DAC for your smartphone Check it out HERE
post #470 of 491 Old 04-19-2014, 04:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Anybody know if the Aeris can be used passively, without the equalizer boxes?

post #471 of 491 Old 04-19-2014, 06:05 PM

The Aeris DSP acts as the crossover for the woofers. You could keep the DSP out of the chain, but you'd need a way to crossover the woofers.
By removing the DSP, you are also foregoing the Legacy curves which smooth out the response further, as well as the ability for the dealer and you to tune the speakers for your room.

We do have customers who enjoy running the top section without the DSP, which is always an option. You just split the signal coming off of your preamp- one to the crossover and one to the amplifier for the top section.

-James
post #472 of 491 Old 04-19-2014, 06:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The Aeris DSP acts as the crossover for the woofers. You could keep the DSP out of the chain, but you'd need a way to crossover the woofers.
By removing the DSP, you are also foregoing the Legacy curves which smooth out the response further, as well as the ability for the dealer and you to tune the speakers for your room.

We do have customers who enjoy running the top section without the DSP, which is always an option. You just split the signal coming off of your preamp- one to the crossover and one to the amplifier for the top section.

-James

Thanks! Well, the idea would be to simply insert them into my current HT system and let my receiver handle any room correction such as Audyssey. How would I be able to do that and run them full range? I like the Focus, but, after hearing the Aeris at the show in Austin, I've started thinking about the Aeris.biggrin.gif I mostly watch movies these days, as opposed to music, so I'm not too interested in the cost and implementation of a two channel system with HT bypass.

post #473 of 491 Old 04-20-2014, 04:25 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:

Thanks! Well, the idea would be to simply insert them into my current HT system and let my receiver handle any room correction such as Audyssey. How would I be able to do that and run them full range? I like the Focus, but, after hearing the Aeris at the show in Austin, I've started thinking about the Aeris.biggrin.gif I mostly watch movies these days, as opposed to music, so I'm not too interested in the cost and implementation of a two channel system with HT bypass.

Hi Mtrot,

You can certainly insert the Aeris into your HT system as the Left and Right speakers, and thereare many setup options you can take advantage of by using the DSP processor, Audyssey, or a combination of the two. It is a very flexible system. The beauty of the Xilica processor is that it gives you complete control of the system EQ, to tailor the speakers to your taste and room.

A Legacy dealer will help dial this in for you to start, and then small adjustments can be made as needed. The processor can also store up to 30 presets. So, you could store one preset that uses no Xilica EQ (beyond the factory set eq for the drivers themselves), and this setting would allow you to let Audyssey do all the room correction. Another setting could be for Audyssey plus minor Xilica DSP Eq tweaks to the curve, such as a boost abouve 10khz, where Audyssey rolls off, or maybe a little more dip in the 2k-4k range, where I think the Audyssey curve can sometimes sound a little too "forward" at times. A third setting could be to bypass Audyssey completely (such as for pure 2 channel music listening), and use the Xilica DSP to set your desired EQ curve. For this setting, you can switch your AVR to "Direct" mode, which bypasses Audyessy processing completely, (or you could go into your AVR EQ settings and just turn off Audyssey.)

So, besides sounding fantastic, the Aeris/Xilica DSP combo gives you a lot of flexibility to dial in your system the way you want to, and gives you total control to tweak the sound if you desire.

in my own system, I have a pair of Whisper XDs, that I run for 2 channel listening off of my Onkyo PRSC5508 prepro. I set it to Direct mode when I use the Whispers, and I use the Xilica DSP for the EQ. It sounds fabulous, and a number of guys on this forum have heard them, and I bet they would agree. I also have hooked up to the same prepro, a 7.1 HT system using the Focus SEs for mains, and I run that system with Audyssey only. And that system sounds awesome for HT too. From my experience though, I think for music, you will probably prefer the Xilica to handle the EQ duties, as I think it allows the speakers to open up more, especially on the top end, where Audyssey rolls off, and I also prefer a little more dip in the presence region as well.

So anyway, everyone's tastes are different, and the Xilica allows you to dial the Aeris or Whispers in perfectly to your room and taste. Legacy dealers are trained how to setup the processor for you, and will include that calibration as part of the cost of the speaker system. Personally, I take room measurements to work on the EQ curve and verify the calibration, and will also teach more "hands-on" customers how to use the Xilica to tweak things to their taste. The good thing is that my original settings are stored in the processor, so if they mess anything up, they can always go back to my original preset. Of course, if you don't want to get involved with programming the processor, you don't have to, your dealer can set everything up for you and make any changes, if you desire.

Fine Music, Movies, Wine, and Friends - A Life Well Lived!
post #474 of 491 Old 04-21-2014, 11:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMark1 View Post

Hi Mtrot,

You can certainly insert the Aeris into your HT system as the Left and Right speakers, and thereare many setup options you can take advantage of by using the DSP processor, Audyssey, or a combination of the two. It is a very flexible system. The beauty of the Xilica processor is that it gives you complete control of the system EQ, to tailor the speakers to your taste and room.

A Legacy dealer will help dial this in for you to start, and then small adjustments can be made as needed. The processor can also store up to 30 presets. So, you could store one preset that uses no Xilica EQ (beyond the factory set eq for the drivers themselves), and this setting would allow you to let Audyssey do all the room correction. Another setting could be for Audyssey plus minor Xilica DSP Eq tweaks to the curve, such as a boost abouve 10khz, where Audyssey rolls off, or maybe a little more dip in the 2k-4k range, where I think the Audyssey curve can sometimes sound a little too "forward" at times. A third setting could be to bypass Audyssey completely (such as for pure 2 channel music listening), and use the Xilica DSP to set your desired EQ curve. For this setting, you can switch your AVR to "Direct" mode, which bypasses Audyessy processing completely, (or you could go into your AVR EQ settings and just turn off Audyssey.)

So, besides sounding fantastic, the Aeris/Xilica DSP combo gives you a lot of flexibility to dial in your system the way you want to, and gives you total control to tweak the sound if you desire.

in my own system, I have a pair of Whisper XDs, that I run for 2 channel listening off of my Onkyo PRSC5508 prepro. I set it to Direct mode when I use the Whispers, and I use the Xilica DSP for the EQ. It sounds fabulous, and a number of guys on this forum have heard them, and I bet they would agree. I also have hooked up to the same prepro, a 7.1 HT system using the Focus SEs for mains, and I run that system with Audyssey only. And that system sounds awesome for HT too. From my experience though, I think for music, you will probably prefer the Xilica to handle the EQ duties, as I think it allows the speakers to open up more, especially on the top end, where Audyssey rolls off, and I also prefer a little more dip in the presence region as well.

So anyway, everyone's tastes are different, and the Xilica allows you to dial the Aeris or Whispers in perfectly to your room and taste. Legacy dealers are trained how to setup the processor for you, and will include that calibration as part of the cost of the speaker system. Personally, I take room measurements to work on the EQ curve and verify the calibration, and will also teach more "hands-on" customers how to use the Xilica to tweak things to their taste. The good thing is that my original settings are stored in the processor, so if they mess anything up, they can always go back to my original preset. Of course, if you don't want to get involved with programming the processor, you don't have to, your dealer can set everything up for you and make any changes, if you desire.

Thanks! I wish I had stopped by to see you when I was in PA last summer. I should've said that I do not actually employ the Audyssey in my system, as I like to run it flat. I would just want to be able to replace my Signature IIs with Aeris.

post #475 of 491 Old 04-21-2014, 11:40 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:

Thanks! I wish I had stopped by to see you when I was in PA last summer. I should've said that I do not actually employ the Audyssey in my system, as I like to run it flat. I would just want to be able to replace my Signature IIs with Aeris.

Yep, you can replace the Sig IIs with the Aeris, no problem. BIG upgrade! biggrin.gif PM me if you need any help, and let me know when you are in PA again, and we'll set up some time for a demo.

Dennis

Fine Music, Movies, Wine, and Friends - A Life Well Lived!
post #476 of 491 Old 05-26-2014, 10:25 AM

Anyone here heard both or had a chance to compare the Aeris and Whisper XDS? They're in the same price range and I've been considering both; problem is that the nearest dealer is about a 12-hour drive and there's only so much that one can tell from such auditions since the equipment/rooms involved are so different. Plus, Bassfeen has a Whisper XDS for sale for $12k and that's a great price, but I was initially thinking the Aeris would better suit my needs/preferences. While they will be used for films, I'm more concerned about music, and for the music I listen to (mostly classical), the Whisper's four 15" subwoofers and four 7" midwoofers seems like overkill, while the 2 tweeters/1 8" midrange in the Aeris seems better suited. I'm also curious why the Whisper is listed as having 11 drivers when I only count 10 (4 subs, 4 midwoofers, 1 mid, 1 tweeter); am I missing something?
post #477 of 491 Old 05-26-2014, 11:42 AM

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolRage View Post

Anyone here heard both or had a chance to compare the Aeris and Whisper XDS? They're in the same price range and I've been considering both; problem is that the nearest dealer is about a 12-hour drive and there's only so much that one can tell from such auditions since the equipment/rooms involved are so different. Plus, Bassfeen has a Whisper XDS for sale for $12k and that's a great price, but I was initially thinking the Aeris would better suit my needs/preferences. While they will be used for films, I'm more concerned about music, and for the music I listen to (mostly classical), the Whisper's four 15" subwoofers and four 7" midwoofers seems like overkill, while the 2 tweeters/1 8" midrange in the Aeris seems better suited. I'm also curious why the Whisper is listed as having 11 drivers when I only count 10 (4 subs, 4 midwoofers, 1 mid, 1 tweeter); am I missing something?

Hello,

If the pair of Whispers for sale are in fact the latest XDS models... I would not even think about it Get those!! Make sure you will still have warranty coverage, etc.

Both are very adecuate for music and movies...But here is the thing...As amazing as both are...I believe the Whispers have the edge in being able to be setup in more difficult rooms. The driver arrangements allow for a more controlled dispersion of the audio and the DSP that both models have, will allow you to tune the bass exactly as needed/wanted to work best in your room. I would not consider the four 15" bass drivers to be overkill at all....They could always be four 18" biggrin.gif

In all honestly I have not heard the Aeris, only the Whispers. But the Whispers are still positioned as a higher tier model over the Aeris. The Whispers are nothing short of amazing in everything, detail retrieval, the best soundstage/imaging ever (IMHO) and just balanced enjoyable sound. You truly forget you are listening to speakers... Another thing is that the Whispers are also used in more professional recording studios and many award winning albums were mastered/mixed using Whispers.

Hope I was able to help.

Don't follow me, I'm lost too -Unknown
SETUP: PC with JRiver MC and PS3 -> Onkyo TX-SR705 via HDMI -> Sierra-2 LCR & Energy Take Classic surrounds \-> Epson 8350
Check out GEEK WAVE: A digital audio player and high quality DAC for your smartphone Check it out HERE
post #478 of 491 Old 05-26-2014, 02:56 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I just recently upgraded from the Legacy Focus SE to the Aeris. The Aeris is an amazing speaker and even though I never heard the Whispers. From what I understand is an even better speaker than the Aeris. The Aeris supposedly goes a little lower in the bass region. $12,000.00 for a nearly new  Whisper is a great price and somebody should jump on it. You can always add a sub.

post #479 of 491 Old 05-27-2014, 08:15 AM

Thanks to Eli and bjski for the impressions and advice; it was most helpful.
post #480 of 491 Old 05-27-2014, 10:56 AM

I am the seller for the Whisper XDS model, Initially we setting up our Distribution level for Indonesia and purchased the Whisper XDs models directly from Legacy Audio,

However speaking with Chris at VH audio we went along and got his advise and upgraded the internal cables and capacitors. he also has a pair of these in his listening room, The company is moving to another direction, actually its going to focus only on Pro Audio now, so we dropped the legacy line. When these arrived they were installed in my Home theatre room. I initially wanted them in my home to tune and tweak the system to get a better understanding. The legacy line was dropped from our company not based on the fact we did not like the speaker it was purely a finance decisions we had to make and move into the Pro audio market where sales were easier for us to survive.

The speakers are in A1 Condition and hardly even broken in yet. The whisper XDS are probably one of the only speakers I really felt comfortable listening to for hours. The soundstage is massive and they are transparent but at the same time warm. I preferred them with Tube amplifiers with out the DSP for the mid and Tweeter. The bass section were operating with the DSP and it allowed me to tune the bass to the room.

Shipping is obviously from Indonesia, but at the price im selling them at its pretty cheap considering its very new under 6 months from built date and all the extra cost for caps, internal wire upgrades. The Upgrades alone all cost 1700 dollars. VH Audio can confirm the bill and spec of wire which he highly recommended.

Reply Speakers

Tags
Legacy Audio

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page