3Likes

post #481 of 501 Old 05-27-2014, 12:02 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolRage View Post

Anyone here heard both or had a chance to compare the Aeris and Whisper XDS? They're in the same price range and I've been considering both; problem is that the nearest dealer is about a 12-hour drive and there's only so much that one can tell from such auditions since the equipment/rooms involved are so different. Plus, Bassfeen has a Whisper XDS for sale for $12k and that's a great price, but I was initially thinking the Aeris would better suit my needs/preferences. While they will be used for films, I'm more concerned about music, and for the music I listen to (mostly classical), the Whisper's four 15" subwoofers and four 7" midwoofers seems like overkill, while the 2 tweeters/1 8" midrange in the Aeris seems better suited. I'm also curious why the Whisper is listed as having 11 drivers when I only count 10 (4 subs, 4 midwoofers, 1 mid, 1 tweeter); am I missing something?

From all the people I have spoken too before we decided to go with the Legacy Speaker line for our company all recommended the Whisper XD over the Aeris, The Whisper is more transparent and warmer and throws a larger soundstage that's seems to pull you into the music. I cant compare them to the Areris personally but from all the people I spoke too it seems everyone prefers the Whisper.

The Aeris is pretty new speaker, where is the Whispers has had over 20 years of refinement and improvements I don't think its an overkill but you should honestly compare both speakers your self and work out which one is more suitable for your needs.

Home Theatre: Onkyo PR SC 5509, ATI 3007 Danley SH50, Danley SH69, Danley SH100 (Rear), Seaton Subwoofer X 2, Custom Made Acoustic Panels and Bass Traps.

2 Channel System: Philharmonics 3, GD Audio Master 2 Mono Blocks, GD Audio Master 1 Pre-Amp. Wireworld Eclipse Gold 5 Silver XLR, Clear Day...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #482 of 501 Old 05-27-2014, 04:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassfeen View Post

From all the people I have spoken too before we decided to go with the Legacy Speaker line for our company all recommended the Whisper XD over the Aeris, The Whisper is more transparent and warmer and throws a larger soundstage that's seems to pull you into the music. I cant compare them to the Areris personally but from all the people I spoke too it seems everyone prefers the Whisper.

The Aeris is pretty new speaker, where is the Whispers has had over 20 years of refinement and improvements I don't think its an overkill but you should honestly compare both speakers your self and work out which one is more suitable for your needs.

I can say this, I'm far from being disappointed with Aeris. I think they are a great speaker at their price point. I believe the Whisper's are about $4000 more list price. I have never heard the Whispers. I believe Legacy took a different approach with the Aeris. They added a 10 inch midwoofer to the 2 sealed 12 inch subwoofer that also have a downward firing passive radiator. The midrange is handed off to a new speaker in the Legacy Line an 8 inch with a "6lb magnet structure". The midrange in the Whispers are the 7 inch that is employed in almost all of Legacy designs.

I guess what I'm trying to say is maybe a new design philosophy for the Aeris.

My dealer mentioned that the Whisper's could be dialed into any room. I thinking you can also do that with the Aeris. The Whispers however throw that Hugh soundstage.

I would listen to both speakers and then make you decision. I don't think you could go wrong with either.
post #483 of 501 Old 05-27-2014, 06:26 PM

Hello,

This is James at Legacy Audio CA, and formerly from the factory in Springfield, IL.
The eleventh driver on the Whisper is found on the back- it is a 12" active subwoofer.

You mention you listen to mostly Classical- I highly recommend comparing the two and hearing the Whisper XDS. The jump in detail from Aeris to Whisper XDS is significant in recordings that warrant it, and certainly many classical recordings do. The subwoofers aren't overkill because of the unique Whisper design. The rear 15" woofer fires first and then the front 15" woofer fires. The result is a more uniform radiation pattern acrossall frequencies. Whisper works best in any size room because it has a deep null 90 degrees off axis due to its woofer arrangement- that means it can have a sidewall nearby and a low ceiling. The speaker works like a cardioid microphone and doesn't care about the room as much as a traditional speaker.

I invite you to visit a dealer who has both pair setup for you to A/B.
If you have any other questions, I am happy to answer them for you.

All the best,
James
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolRage View Post

Anyone here heard both or had a chance to compare the Aeris and Whisper XDS? They're in the same price range and I've been considering both; problem is that the nearest dealer is about a 12-hour drive and there's only so much that one can tell from such auditions since the equipment/rooms involved are so different. Plus, Bassfeen has a Whisper XDS for sale for $12k and that's a great price, but I was initially thinking the Aeris would better suit my needs/preferences. While they will be used for films, I'm more concerned about music, and for the music I listen to (mostly classical), the Whisper's four 15" subwoofers and four 7" midwoofers seems like overkill, while the 2 tweeters/1 8" midrange in the Aeris seems better suited. I'm also curious why the Whisper is listed as having 11 drivers when I only count 10 (4 subs, 4 midwoofers, 1 mid, 1 tweeter); am I missing something?
post #484 of 501 Old 05-27-2014, 06:51 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Thanks to Bassfeen and bjski for the additional listening impressions.

James, thanks for the info RE the 11th driver on the Whisper. I am looking to perhaps set up an audition, but I also believe that auditions don't make for automatic decisions since the rooms/equipment are typically so different than what you'd have/use at home.

I certainly don't have a traditional listening room (modified family room, 17'x14'x9', that partly opens to kitchen and hall), so the Whispers may be better in that regard. What I was thinking RE the Aeris being a good fit for classical was it having the additional 8" midrange driver in addition to the two tweeters for highs; am I wrong in thinking that the 2 tweeters highs/1 8" midrange of the Aeris would have an advantage in those frequences compared to the 2 tweeter highs/mids of the Whisper?

Two additional questions:

1. How do both speakers respond to low-ish power (say 20-75 watt) tube amps, especially triodes? While I'm not a tube freak I do tend to prefer them, but not at the expense of adequate power and better speakers. I remember reading in one review (Stereophile maybe) that while the Whisper is quite efficient, the 4ohms aren't linear and it dips at points below 3ohms. Typically, triodes don't do well with such speakers.

2. How would you describe the tonal differences in either speaker? Is one cooler/warmer, or more forward/laid-back?

Thanks again.
post #485 of 501 Old 05-28-2014, 04:19 PM

James At Legacy

I have a question, what do you think of adding an extreme subwoofer. Of course your a dealer are but there better sub's out there such as JL. I'm thinking of only one and it would be used with the Xilixa processor.
post #486 of 501 Old 05-29-2014, 06:15 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16

I've had a pair of Signature III's since 2002 and absolutely love them.  :)

Years later they are still running strong and the sound is crystal clear with deep bass and an accurate soundstage.

They are powered by a Parasound A21 amp with a Parasound 2100 preamp fed by a Marantz SA8004 cd player.

(I'm in the process getting my old Dual tt dusted off and hooked up.)

post #487 of 501 Old 06-16-2014, 03:29 PM

Hello SolRage,

Whisper will be a little bit more open in the bass because of the differential woofer alignment. I've mixed a lot of Classical, and slightly prefer Whisper for it because it is designed to work just like the fine microphones used in the recording process.

I wouldn't say that the transition from Aeris' AMT to the 8" is any better than the the transition from the Whisper XDS' AMT to the four 7" drivers. You might notice that the crossover points are different. The 4" AMT featured on both Aeris and Whisper XDS is quite a driver!

1. Both Aeris and Whisper XDS work great with low power tube amps.We're doing the heavy lifting with the internal amplifiers, and your amplifier is powering a 95.4 dB and 95 dB sensitivity upper sections (respectively). This gives you tight, extended and dynamic bass, that can be combined with tube amplification for the warm mids and highs many desire. Or solid state if they prefer.

2. Tonal similarities can largely be replicated between both models. I wouldn't describe one to be warm and the other cool, however the Whisper XDS differential woofer alignment makes it more open. The included processor allows them to be voiced how you prefer. The tuning in the room has a lot to do with how we perceive warmth/brightness. In many of the systems I have setup for my customers, I leave them with a warm setting, an airy setting, etc. That is a huge advantage of both of these speaker systems.

I hope that answers your questions!
Best,
James

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolRage View Post
Thanks to Bassfeen and bjski for the additional listening impressions.

James, thanks for the info RE the 11th driver on the Whisper. I am looking to perhaps set up an audition, but I also believe that auditions don't make for automatic decisions since the rooms/equipment are typically so different than what you'd have/use at home.

I certainly don't have a traditional listening room (modified family room, 17'x14'x9', that partly opens to kitchen and hall), so the Whispers may be better in that regard. What I was thinking RE the Aeris being a good fit for classical was it having the additional 8" midrange driver in addition to the two tweeters for highs; am I wrong in thinking that the 2 tweeters highs/1 8" midrange of the Aeris would have an advantage in those frequences compared to the 2 tweeter highs/mids of the Whisper?

Two additional questions:

1. How do both speakers respond to low-ish power (say 20-75 watt) tube amps, especially triodes? While I'm not a tube freak I do tend to prefer them, but not at the expense of adequate power and better speakers. I remember reading in one review (Stereophile maybe) that while the Whisper is quite efficient, the 4ohms aren't linear and it dips at points below 3ohms. Typically, triodes don't do well with such speakers.

2. How would you describe the tonal differences in either speaker? Is one cooler/warmer, or more forward/laid-back?

Thanks again.
post #488 of 501 Old 06-16-2014, 03:37 PM

Hi bjski,

Adding the Xtreme to either the Aeris or Whisper XDS is one of my favorite things to do for increased performance! It not only provides bounce (not boom) but when integrated with the included processor really allows the system to lock in, in the room. Highly recommended.

I have integrated many 3rd party subwoofers in addition to the Legacy subwoofers into Aeris and Whisper systems- the best sounding being a Whisper system with two Xtreme subwoofers time aligned with the processor.

All the best,
James
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjski View Post
James At Legacy

I have a question, what do you think of adding an extreme subwoofer. Of course your a dealer are but there better sub's out there such as JL. I'm thinking of only one and it would be used with the Xilixa processor.
post #489 of 501 Old 06-16-2014, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesAtLegacy View Post
Hi bjski,

Adding the Xtreme to either the Aeris or Whisper XDS is one of my favorite things to do for increased performance! It not only provides bounce (not boom) but when integrated with the included processor really allows the system to lock in, in the room. Highly recommended.

I have integrated many 3rd party subwoofers in addition to the Legacy subwoofers into Aeris and Whisper systems- the best sounding being a Whisper system with two Xtreme subwoofers time aligned with the processor.

All the best,
James
What do you think of using one extreme subwoofer with the Aeris?
post #490 of 501 Old 06-24-2014, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjski View Post
What do you think of using one extreme subwoofer with the Aeris?
One Xtreme XD subwoofer works great with the Aeris. Two allows for more control in the room however the performance jump from no subwoofer to one Xtreme is greater than the jump from one Xtreme to two. It really brings out the underlying weight of the recording.

All the best,
James
post #491 of 501 Old 06-24-2014, 08:41 PM

Quote:
One Xtreme XD subwoofer works great with the Aeris. Two allows for more control in the room however the performance jump from no subwoofer to one Xtreme is greater than the jump from one Xtreme to two. It really brings out the underlying weight of the recording.

All the best,
James
James,
Thanks for your reply.
post #492 of 501 Old 08-14-2014, 05:54 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I have a few questions about a possible Legacy system. The Studio HDs all around is what I'm considering and possibly the Silverscreen HD for the center. The Phantom HD surround was on my list but it's a very big looking speaker and I don't know if it's a dipole, which I would prefer. The woofers on the Studio HD are big so I'm a bit concerned that it might be too much for an average sized room if I had to turn it up to hear quieter passages in films. Maybe the high 93db sensitivity would help with that? For now the receiver will be a Sony 5700ES.
post #493 of 501 Old 08-14-2014, 08:20 PM

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alec88 View Post
I have a few questions about a possible Legacy system. The Studio HDs all around is what I'm considering and possibly the Silverscreen HD for the center. The Phantom HD surround was on my list but it's a very big looking speaker and I don't know if it's a dipole, which I would prefer. The woofers on the Studio HD are big so I'm a bit concerned that it might be too much for an average sized room if I had to turn it up to hear quieter passages in films. Maybe the high 93db sensitivity would help with that? For now the receiver will be a Sony 5700ES.
The StudioHDs are excellent speakers! I would buy a third StudioHD as a center and save some money on the silverscreenHD. The PhantomHDs are not dipoles, and they are big and expensive. The Deco is a bit smaller but its a simple on-wall woofer/tweeter speaker which is fine really. You can do a couple things to diffuse the sound out of a direct firing speaker to diffuse the sound.. But you could get the dipoles you want from another company and the third studioHD instead of the silverscreen and save the money to buy a good subwoofer like the metro or something else that is fast and can match the performance of the studioHDs..

I would not worry about the speakers overpowering your room (how big is it?). If they are level matched and calibrated for 80db spl on the seating position, then that's all you'll get. Also, I presume you will still cross them over to a good sub at about 70-80hz, so that can take a lot of the heavy low frequency load off the receiver to your sub, so your AVR will still be fine.

Also, if your Sony AVR has a 8-ohm setting and a 4-ohm setting, leave it at the 8-ohm setting. The 4-ohm setting usually current limits the amplifiers and often unnecessarily.

Hope this helps
Alec88 likes this.
post #494 of 501 Old 08-14-2014, 09:54 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Hi eliwankenobi. Right now my listening area has been moved to almost against the rear wall. The room is about 17 deep (tv to rear wall) by 22 long. Currently I have Phase Tech Velocity speakers with a dipole at the rear. I thought that I could use the Phantom rears at the very sides but it wouldn't work for me unless it's dipole. Thanks for confirming that. I guess I could keep the Phase Tech for the job but we're talking different leagues of speakers here. I've heard the Legacies in stereo mode with integraded amplifiers a few times and they're just so good.

How about this? Maybe I could get a THX receiver if I use the Studio HDs as rears. The THX processing might do some of its magic to make up for less than ideal placement.
post #495 of 501 Old 08-15-2014, 08:38 PM

Liked: 20
If you can skimp on something, it definately is on the surround channels... They are way less important than the front stage... So yeah, if you can hold on to your current surrounds until you find other dipoles that suit your needs that works... Though if you are also considering using another pair of studioHDs for surround, hey! No better match than using the same speaker! I think if you put them to the sides but maybe one feet behind the listening position and have the surround pointing straight at each other you would be OK!... Then again if you can instead still use the current surrounds, maybe the funds for the surround studioHDs can be put towards upgrading the fronts to the ClassicHDs... Just saying ;-)

Now regarding THX processing, the movie mode specifically (as I've heard around) boosts the high frequencies in order to compensate for the damping and sound absorption of a packed theater.... I guess the Audyssey or whatever room correction used on the AVR would be better at trying make the surround more integrated with each other...but yeah, I like my THX certified Onkyo!
Alec88 likes this.

Don't follow me, I'm lost too -Unknown
SETUP: PC with JRiver MC and PS3 -> Onkyo TX-SR705 via HDMI -> Sierra-2 LCR & Energy Take Classic surrounds \-> Epson 8350
Check out GEEK WAVE: A digital audio player and high quality DAC for your smartphone Check it out HERE
post #496 of 501 Old 08-22-2014, 04:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Looking to put together a good 2.1 system and I've considered pretty much all combinations. Going to add the Legacy speakers to my list to consider. Going to read all 17 pages of this thread and try to learn which model to consider. Will be going for the 3x to listen to the Focal 1038be tomorrow am.

Would be awesome to not absolutely need a sub, at least initially.

Did I read correctly that Legacy offers in home trials?

Last edited by SeaNile; 08-22-2014 at 04:57 PM.
post #497 of 501 Old 09-11-2014, 09:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 81
I have a chance to buy a pair of Legacy Classics for just over $1k.
I'm wondering how these would compare to speakers of today at that price point.
Also if there are certain things I should look out for if I take a look at them.
To be honest the ribbon tweeter is what makes me excited about them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	503511-leagcy_classics_amazing_sound_quality.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	111.8 KB
ID:	258818  

Quote:
MKtheater -I just saw 300 tonight, great movie. I literally wanted to spear people after the show
My speaker build PROJECT OVERKILL WWMTMSS
Photobucket link to build photos
Photobucket link to Project Overkill cut down
post #498 of 501 Old 09-15-2014, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaNile View Post
Looking to put together a good 2.1 system and I've considered pretty much all combinations. Going to add the Legacy speakers to my list to consider. Going to read all 17 pages of this thread and try to learn which model to consider. Will be going for the 3x to listen to the Focal 1038be tomorrow am.

Would be awesome to not absolutely need a sub, at least initially.

Did I read correctly that Legacy offers in home trials?
Hello SeaNile,

Yes, we do offer the in home trial. If you don't love the speakers after the trial period, just box them up and we'll refund you the full purchase price.

Best,
James
post #499 of 501 Old 09-15-2014, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingpin111 View Post
I have a chance to buy a pair of Legacy Classics for just over $1k.
I'm wondering how these would compare to speakers of today at that price point.
Also if there are certain things I should look out for if I take a look at them.
To be honest the ribbon tweeter is what makes me excited about them.
The older Legacy Classics are still performing day in and day out and are enjoyed by many.

The new speakers will handily outperform their 20 year old siblings. Advantages of the new models included increased low frequency extension and dynamic speed, more detailed mids and better top end clarity and extension. This is due to advancements in our driver design, crossover design and materials over our 30 year history.

All the best,
James
kingpin111 likes this.
post #500 of 501 Old 09-15-2014, 06:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
The older Legacy Classics are still performing day in and day out and are enjoyed by many.

The new speakers will handily outperform their 20 year old siblings. Advantages of the new models included increased low frequency extension and dynamic speed, more detailed mids and better top end clarity and extension. This is due to advancements in our driver design, crossover design and materials over our 30 year history.

All the best,
James
Thanks for the response James!

Quote:
MKtheater -I just saw 300 tonight, great movie. I literally wanted to spear people after the show
My speaker build PROJECT OVERKILL WWMTMSS
Photobucket link to build photos
Photobucket link to Project Overkill cut down
post #501 of 501 Old 10-21-2014, 06:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 262 Post(s)
Liked: 286
Any Legacy owners heard the Silhoutte speaker yet? Seems like a potential good fit for guys with AT screens. I searched and didn't find any reviews so the only data I have seen is on the Legacy web site.
Reply Speakers

Tags
Legacy Audio

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page